Thread: Any Advice on Getting a Book Published???

Mood

Default Any Advice on Getting a Book Published???

I have a novel that I have written mainly for a therapeutic approach but grew to a 758 page double spaced novel in five years that I am now thinking about looking into having someone look at it. I have never done this sort of thing before so I have no clue. The novel is about a soldier that is deployed to Somalia in the early 1990's and suffers from severe PTSD when he returns. It covers pre-service, his entire service and post service. It is a dark book that has a bad ending but to me would possibly do well with the attention that we are seeing finally about PTSD and our Veterans. It is a fictional book with many examples that I took from my military career and my own deployment to Somalia along with my severe PTSD. If anyone has any ideas I am open to suggestions.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Any Advice on Getting a Book Published???

I don't know a ton about this but it kind of depends how ambitious you are. You could engage with the big publishers, or find a smaller publisher who may specialize in publishing military-oriented books intended for a military audience. Those people are more likely to respond.

I am currently researching for a book about a specialty topic and a couple small publishers who publish books about similar issues have expressed interest to me. I wrote directly to them and they responded saying they would be interested in seeing a draft. However, I am doing it more for the novelty of getting published and having fun writing and less for the money. I know even if I get it published by those guys I'll probably be lucky to sell 1,000 copies.

Mood

I am probably in the same boat as you, not expecting to make a big splash but getting published. I would like to get some recognition for the five years of hard work put into it and I don't see a huge audience for the book myself.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You could look into doing the self publishing thing on Amazon. You wouldn't get to see it in print but it does get it out there and available for e-readers.

Mood

I will look into the Amazon thing definitely.

Mood

I am so pissed at myself right now. Somehow when I saved the copies of a chapter in my book on cd rom and thumb drive 25 pages did not get saved. I am lucky that I printed off a hard copy but that is 25 pages I have to re-type.

Mood

Well the publisher who works directly with Amazon.com wanted 2,000-3,000 to self-publish so I did a little research and found another publisher who works with Amazon.com and several other ebook sites and several book stores where they would put a small amount of books in and give me 10 soft copies and a nice hard copy for 1200 including formatting, design, cover artwork, marketing, author bio and getting it all assembled. It is a smaller company but perfect for me. I told them I wanted to wait until tax time to do it so they told me to call my specific publishing person who actually called me to get info about the book and told me to call her 2 months in advance so that when tax time comes it will be done and ready to roll. Getting ready to work on the next project. My mother and I are going to write a book compiled of poetry. She has some catching up to do since I have already gotten 96 poems written, lol. Now I have to type them in and start editing.