Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breaking News: 27 reported dead at shooting in Connecticut Elementary school

Default Re: Breaking News: 27 reported dead at shooting in Connecticut Elementary school

The 24/7 news cycle needs to put the brakes on. Plus it needs to focus on the victims and heroes, not the perps. I'd say no pictures of the shooter and I'm not even sure about using his name. I mean the authorities should release it of course but unless you hear the press conference or happen to read the official press release that should be about the end of it as far as knowing about the shooter and his family.

We should stop making these people famous (or infamous if you will). That is all on the media. They control this.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Breaking News: 27 reported dead at shooting in Connecticut Elementary school

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They are interviewing 8 and 9 year olds on live TV right after their classmates were murdered. Journalists have become the biggest whores in the world.
    God this INFURIATED me. I'm glad I wasn't the only one to think this.
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SoupIsGood For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    The 24/7 news cycle needs to put the brakes on. Plus it needs to focus on the victims and heroes, not the perps. I'd say no pictures of the shooter and I'm not even sure about using his name. I mean the authorities should release it of course but unless you hear the press conference or happen to read the official press release that should be about the end of it as far as knowing about the shooter and his family.

We should stop making these people famous (or infamous if you will). That is all on the media. They control this.
    The principal of the school turned on the intercom so that people in the building would be aware of the situation and try to take precautions.

She apparently plead with him to only shoot her and not the kids.

I hope she's the person remembered.

also, with the media. The local news made it very clear that they made sure to ask permission from parents before interviewing the children. I've had some issues with the way they've handled it (intruding a bit with some of the video, misreporting, stupid questions that they asked the police officers..) interviewing the children happened to be a parental choice.
    Last edited by Sookie; 12-15-2012 at 12:13 AM.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Mood

All I can think is how someone could look at those children and do something so horrific. He is nothing more than a coward who is hopefully getting just what he deserved in hell. I think he got off easy by killing himself. I would have loved to slit his throat and watch him drown in his own blood, or put him in prison so that once they found out what he did, he could be treated like a freaking human toilet by the other inmates.

http://www.people.com/people/package...656996,00.html

Jenna von Oy Keeps Newtown Hometown In Her Prayers

By Jenna von Oy

Every school shooting I've ever heard about has been exceedingly heartbreaking and has stirred feelings of both rage and sorrow in me. Each one is tragic and awful, and there have been far too many of them in recent years.

But Friday's massacre in Newtown has affected me in a profoundly personal way, as I have a unique perspective on the town ... I am blessed to have grown up there.

My family still lives in Newtown and, in my heart of hearts, I still consider myself one of its residents. My attachment is deep-rooted. We are mourning the loss of some of our own this week, and it is a sobering reminder that violence does not discriminate. It can hit close to home.

I am fiercely proud to say I was born and raised in Newtown. It is where I was brought home from the hospital, attended my first day of kindergarten, learned to ride my bike and climbed my first tree.

As I watched President Obama's press conference, I sobbed as he mentioned that the children who died had their whole lives ahead of them: graduations, weddings, having children of their own. I have celebrated every one of those milestones in Newtown.

I graduated from Newtown High School, got married two years ago in a bed and breakfast on its Main Street, and recently had my daughter christened at St. Rose, where the vigil was held Friday evening. Newtown is the foundation of my history and it holds a very special place in my heart.

It is nearly impossible to unscramble my thoughts and put them to paper at a time like this, but I wanted to express my love and support for the town that has given me so many wonderful memories.

I hope my intent isn't misunderstood here; this is not about me. This is about a peaceful, beautiful, wonderful place I've called home since my childhood; I am feeling very protective of it after Friday's crisis. This is about the people who are left to pick up the pieces after an unfathomable hardship.

I grieve for the parents who lost their beautiful, innocent babies; some of them were friends from high school. My heart hurts for the families who have to explain this loss to the frightened children they brought home.

Childhood photo with my brother at the Newtown Bee

Courtesy of Jenna Von Oy
    Newtown has always been the epitome of a quintessentially quaint New England town. It resembles a Norman Rockwell painting, and I know it will be all too easy for that image to be marred by these appalling events. But Newtown is so much more than this shocking incident, and I desperately hope America will see that.

I know, with absolute certainty, the residents of Newtown will rise up with love and strength in the face of their suffering. When you think of my hometown, I hope you'll think beyond this moment in its history.

When the news first reported the shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School, my emotional spectrum ranged from stunned and horrified, to inconsolable and numb. I am still feeling all of those things, and I don't expect that to go away anytime soon. This isn't something that's easily reconcilable.

Moreover, I share the overwhelming grief of the families affected by this tragedy. As a parent, I don't know how to make sense of it, and I am hugging my daughter that much tighter tonight because of it. No parent should ever have to experience a loss such as this one. It is unspeakable, and there is nothing fair about it.

There aren't enough prayers to ease their pain, but I'm giving it all I've got, regardless. It is all I have to give, and I hope you'll join me. Beyond that, there are no words.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/...n-conn-tragedy

Pats to honor Newtown victims

Moments of silence held tonight to honor the victims of the Connecticut school shooting.

[+] Enlarge
    Courtesy New England PatriotsThe Patriots will wear these black-ribboned logos on their helmets Sunday night.

The New England Patriots will wear black-ribbon logos on their helmets on Sunday in honor of the 26 victims of Friday's Connecticut elementary school tragedy.

The Patriots also will light 26 white flares during a moment of silence before Sunday night's game against the San Francisco 49ers.

The Patriots see Newtown as part of their New England base, and had a direct connection with Friday's tragedy.

The Kraft family, which owns the Patriots, also owns a box company, Rand-Whitney, that has a factory less than one mile from Sandy Hook Elementary School.

Rand-Whitney's parking lot was used Friday as a meeting area for media members after the tragic shooting at the school, a Patriots official said this weekend.

The New York Giants also will honor the victims by having S.H.E.S. (Sandy Hook Elementary School) written on their helmets for Sunday's game against the Atlanta Falcons.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    I disagree pretty strongly. It's a two way street. If people turn that **** off and spend their time trying to help the victims, "the media" wouldn't run that. Nearly all of the people I've heard talk about it are obsessed with body count, psychoanalyzing the shooter, and ultimately relaying how good they are at recognizing the "shame" and "sickness."

You can't say that people are just conditioned to react this way. Sure, the reactionary anger and fear has been endlessly omnipresent, but it take exploitability (don't think that's a word) for exploitation to happen.

http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphoto...17936174_n.jpg

From what I've read, this woman (only 27) died while shielding her students from the gunfire.

Kaitlin Roig, saved herself and 15 students by locking them all in the classroom bathroom. When the police knocked on the bathroom door, fearing it was the shooter trying to lure them out, she didn't trust them, made them slide a badge under the door..then told them if they were really the police, they could get a key. Interestingly, at one point friday, there was an entire class unaccounted for, I have a feeling it was hers.

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-2...y-hook-2012-12
    Last edited by Sookie; 12-16-2012 at 12:29 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    All I can think is how someone could look at those children and do something so horrific. He is nothing more than a coward who is hopefully getting just what he deserved in hell. I think he got off easy by killing himself. I would have loved to slit his throat and watch him drown in his own blood, or put him in prison so that once they found out what he did, he could be treated like a freaking human toilet by the other inmates.
    Unfortunately, I think he planned on not walking away, which pisses me off even more. If you want to kill yourself, thats fine with me, but don't be a ****ing greedy ******* and take people with you. ****ing attention whores.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...llen/#comments

Cruz will honor one of the fallen

Posted by Mike Florio on December 16, 2012, 10:22 AM EST

AP
    When the Giants play the Falcons today, the Giants will have the initials of Sandy Hook Elementary School on the backs of their helmets.

Some players will pay tribute to specific victims of Friday’s tragedy. ESPN’s Chris Mortensen passed along word at the outset of Sunday NFL Countdown, via ESPN’s Josina Anderson, that Giants receiver Victor Cruz will place the name of six-year-old Jack Pinto on Cruz’s gloves and cleats.

Cruz contacted Jack’s parents after learning that the boy was among Victor’s many fans. Jack Pinto was such a big fan of Victor Cruz that Jack’s parents are considering laying their son to rest in Cruz’s jersey.

I had a hard time typing that last sentence. And as more details about what those children endured emerge, nothing about any of this is getting any easier.

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Read this today, thought it was pretty and that I would share.

Twas' 11 days before Christmas, around 9:38
    when 20 beautiful children stormed through heaven's gate.
    their smiles were contagious, their laughter filled the air.
    they could hardly believe all the beauty they saw there.
    they were filled with such joy, they didn't know what to say.
    they remembered nothing of what had happened earlier that day.
    "where are we?" asked a little girl, as quiet as a mouse.
    "this is heaven." declared a small boy. "we're spending Christmas at God's house."
    when what to their wondering eyes did appear,
    but *****, their savior, the children gathered near.
    He looked at them and smiled, and they smiled just the same.
    then He opened His arms and He called them by name.
    and in that moment was joy, that only heaven can bring
    those children all flew into the arms of their King
    and as they lingered in the warmth of His embrace,
    one small girl turned and looked at *****' face.
    and as if He could read all the questions she had
    He gently whispered to her, "I'll take care of mom and dad."
    then He looked down on earth, the world far below
    He saw all of the hurt, the sorrow, and woe
    then He closed His eyes and He outstretched His hand,
    "Let My power and presence re-enter this land!"
    "may this country be delivered from the hands of fools"
    "I'm taking back my nation. I'm taking back my schools!"
    then He and the children stood up without a sound.
    "come now my children, let me show you around."
    excitement filled the space, some skipped and some ran.
    all displaying enthusiasm that only a small child can.
    and i heard Him proclaim as He walked out of sight,
    "in the midst of this darkness, I AM STILL THE LIGHT."

Written by Cameo Smith, Mt. Wolf, PA

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Also, still ridiculous that ***** is apparently edited out on here lol, but yes that is what the asterisks are in the post above.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods