Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Chad Ford on Paul and Danny

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Chad Ford on Paul and Danny

Matt (Indy)

Paul George has looked much more comfortable playing as a "3" recently in Granger's absence, and if he continues to play more consistently, do you see the Pacers moving Granger for a more dynamic SG?

Chad Ford (1:10 PM)

Yes. But the timing is tricky. Until Granger gets back and proves he's going to be healthy, his trade value is way too low. Of course, putting Granger back into the starting line-up may stunt George's phenomenal growth over the past month ... it's a tricky balancing act. But I fully expect that Granger probably isn't wearing a Pacers uniform by the start of next season.

Interesting.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to diamonddave00 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Chad Ford on Paul and Danny

I suppose it will depend on who we could get. Pacers better not give him away on the cheap.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

who would we move him for though? if we are trading a player of Danny Granger's caliber, we better be getting a pretty darn good player back. So who would be get back? Eric Gordon is an obvious name but is he truly worth Danny's value? He is hurt way too often. I say keep Paul and Danny

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Mood

We're not going to be able to keep all of our starting five. It's going to come down to who we want to keep between West and Granger I imagine. I think we have to let Granger go over West. If PG, Hill, and Lance continue to improve while Hibbert and West stand pat I think we should have a solid squad for the next few years. Since we need to improve our bench I wouldn't be surprised if he gets traded for some spare parts.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

So ESPN writer says Danny's on the trading block. Welcome to 2007. Wake me up when it happens.

9. The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Banned

Pacers would be lucky to trade Danny for anything.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Basically what everyone's been saying since we drafted PG.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I suppose it will depend on who we could get. Pacers better not give him away on the cheap.
    It wont really depend looking at our future cap situation and our owners "self imposed cap" we really have no choice but to trade him. He will get at least 8m per year likely much more on the open market. With George's play this year he will get close to max money if not the max and he is younger and will be here long term while Granger doesn't seem to fit.

It will either be West or Granger traded we really have no other choice unless the owner is willing to spend more than he did last off season. With the way the team is built West is more likely to be kept over Granger IMO.

We need to trade Granger or West for young talent imo we cant afford to let them walk and from the actions last off season we probably cant afford to resign them. Even if we can that might not be the wisest move.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If this season has proven ANYTHING, it is that the Pacers are a better team with Danny on it.

The fact that this is STILL a "thing" being debated and written about is just laughable to me.

Paul has been superb this month, and I hope he continues his rise. But this team is better with Danny on the floor, period.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

15. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Atlanta may take him this offseason. They can give us John Jenkins and as many picks as humanly possible. Maybe sprinkle in Lou Williams for our bench. Gerald Green would be included in said deal.

Granger, Smith, Horford is a good start for them with money to spend and Granger expiring the following offseason.

We save money and add much needed depth.

Granted, there are probably better possibilites out there... Atlanta was just the first team to pop in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    So ESPN writer says Danny's on the trading block. Welcome to 2007. Wake me up when it happens.
    You really didn't have to generalize with "ESPN writer". Chad has said "Danny won't be in a Pacer uniform next year" three years in a row.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

Do people not realize that they don't have to play every minute on the floor together. If you structure the team and rotations right both of them could play the majority of their minutes at SF. Or we can wait and see if it is less the position Paul is playing and more that Paul is just figuring it out. Who knows maybe Paul will play even better beside Granger, and help Granger play even better himself. Too many things could happen to say Granger is most likely gone before next season.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

billbradley

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    It wont really depend looking at our future cap situation and our owners "self imposed cap" we really have no choice but to trade him. He will get at least 8m per year likely much more on the open market. With George's play this year he will get close to max money if not the max and he is younger and will be here long term while Granger doesn't seem to fit.

It will either be West or Granger traded we really have no other choice unless the owner is willing to spend more than he did last off season. With the way the team is built West is more likely to be kept over Granger IMO.

We need to trade Granger or West for young talent imo we cant afford to let them walk and from the actions last off season we probably cant afford to resign them. Even if we can that might not be the wisest move.
    Self imposed cap? Our salary is the same as Cuban's squad. Who were we supposed to spend another 10 million on that would give us a ring this year?

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    If this season has proven ANYTHING, it is that the Pacers are a better team with Danny on it.

The fact that this is STILL a "thing" being debated and written about is just laughable to me.

Paul has been superb this month, and I hope he continues his rise. But this team is better with Danny on the floor, period.
    Yeah, but we probably can't keep him long term. Unless we want to part ways with PG or West. Take your pick. We're probably going to trade him for a veteran backup/borderline starting caliber SG and another backup big, maybe packaged with Tyler.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post

The problem is this team has delusions of grandeur and think they can win a title with this core. We're not trading our "shot" at a championship this year by trading away West, and we can't resign him without putting us in a bad position financially.

I agree trading one of them would be the best move for the team long term, but I just don't see it happening. I'm thinking most likely scenario is our bench is filled with minimum/guys on rookie deals and we resign both.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Pacers would be lucky to trade Danny for anything.
    Come on now. It's not like Danny's worthless. If anything, I think it's clear how valuable he is to this team.

Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    We're not going to be able to keep all of our starting five. It's going to come down to who we want to keep between West and Granger I imagine. I think we have to let Granger go over West. If PG, Hill, and Lance continue to improve while Hibbert and West stand pat I think we should have a solid squad for the next few years. Since we need to improve our bench I wouldn't be surprised if he gets traded for some spare parts.
    Everyone has said that. We've seen what this current group (minus G.Hill) looked like without West...an 8th seed. And now we're seeing what this team looks like without Danny (currently a 7th seed) We aren't anything but an extremely mediocre .500 level team when we take one of these two vets out of the lineup.

So do we let one walk and hope that we can sign someone in FA that is an obvious upgrade? Do we attempt to trade one for someone that makes a little less and hope they can replace their production? It'll be interesting to see what route the Pacers go in.

For what it's worth, when you lack superstars--familiarity/chemistry is very important. If we can sign West to a reasonable contract, then I say we do so, and then do the same with DG. If one or both of them want too much than what we can afford, we allow them to expire and look in FA.
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 12-19-2012 at 04:23 PM.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    The problem is this team has delusions of grandeur and think they can win a title with this core. We're not trading our "shot" at a championship this year by trading away West, and we can't resign him without putting us in a bad position financially.
    Depends on what West is willing to sign for, and how smart the team is with drafting, trades, and bench players.

Sports Logo

I'll be sad if Danny is not on the team next year

I seriously hope that the fans are going to start coming to our home games. Maybe if we raise our attendance, the owner would be willing to go into LT territory.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    Come on now. It's not like Danny's worthless. If anything, I think it's clear how valuable he is to this team.
    Think about it, lets say that his name is not Danny but Leo and he plays for the Wizards, would you trade for a player with knee issues that is making 13mil a year for the next two years? my answer is no.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Everyone has said that. We've seen what this current group (minus G.Hill) looked like without West...an 8th seed. And now we're seeing what this team looks like without Danny (currently a 7th seed) We aren't anything but an extremely mediocre .500 level team when we take one of these two vets out of the lineup.
    That's with a VERY poor first 10 games and we haven't looked like the same team since. Not to mention PG, Hill, and Lance are going to improve. Probably by a lot. Maybe even Hibbert too. We'll probably use the money and/or trade Granger to improve our bench or get an upgrade over Lance. Do you have a better idea? I think we'll still win close to 50 games this season and only get better going forward.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers_heath For This Useful Post:

Do you have a better idea?
    Keep Granger and find a replacement for West.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Keep Granger and find a replacement for West.
    Why? West is far more valuable to this team than Granger IMO.

Mood

I basically said this in another thread, I like PG more at the 3, so time to move on with Danny, as far as trading him for cheap, what is cheap, I mean saving a ton of money off top helps, but I am think trading him to a vet team, and picking up picks, not sure we really get to much of SG value.

How about to Min, for Shvyed, Williams and a protected 1st, idk.... not really a vet team, but getting back prospects that could fit or system and a 1st while saving some cash would not seem to be too bad a trade for me, especially for a guy that is on the north side of 30 and is coming back from injury.
    Why so SERIOUS

That's with a VERY poor first 10 games and we haven't looked like the same team since. Not to mention PG, Hill, and Lance are going to improve. Probably by a lot. Maybe even Hibbert too. We'll probably use the money and/or trade Granger to improve our bench or get an upgrade over Lance. Do you have a better idea? I think we'll still win close to 50 games this season and only get better going forward.
    1. Did you watch the game last night? We are now 2-10 (i do believe) against teams with a winning record. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of being a good team.
    2. I could say that MAYBE Lance improves "a lot" but I don't think he'll be anything more than a marginal starter/1st guard off the bench type. Paul George has shown us what he has the potential to do, but I want to see it consistently and not over the course of 6-7 games. And George Hill is pretty much the player he's going to be (though I think he's great, just needs to be more consistent with his shot)

Idk if we'll be able to reach 50 wins this year. We already have 12 losses after 25 games. We would have to go 37-20 over the final 57 games to be able to hit 50. A potentially daunting task given that the Pacers schedule has been 3rd easiest thus far this year.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post: