Thread: I have a theory on Green

Sports Logo

Default I have a theory on Green

I believe that Gerald Green had a great season last year because of Deron Williams more than anything else. Not having a pure PG is killing him, I believe that if we can get someone like Andre Miller to lead the backups he will suddenly look great as will everyone else on the bench.

Our bench last year had Collison this year it has Augustine. I realize Collison is not playing well right now (shocking that a creative pg would not flourish in Ricks system I know) but he is a better PG than Augustine.

Now if the grantland article is to be believed and Miller is available for a big send Mahinmi or Hansboro or heck both!!!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ragnar For This Useful Post:

Default Re: I have a theory on Green

I could definitely go for that.

Just one correction. Collison is a better player than Augustin, but not a better PG. Augustin's PG abilities are superior to Collison, but his shooting and defending abilities are not NBA worthy. On the other hand Collison can shoot, and can play some kind of defense.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar

Green played well last year cause the Nets allowed him to be a large part of the offense. Something that he's not here. The nets played very loose because it was best for them. The Nets where the opposite of our Pacers. Green never played defense and didn't play in a low post offense. Green is learning Chinese right now. He will come around.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have a theory too: He put up good numbers because the Nets didn't give a **** about winning and let him do whatever he wanted when he got the ball.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

contract year.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LetsTalkPacers84 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe that Gerald Green had a great season last year because of Deron Williams more than anything else. Not having a pure PG is killing him, !!!
    I agree.. notice how well Green played in preseason with Ben? point proven.... I expect Green to get quite a few highlight dunks and plays with Ben feeding him lobs and good passes...
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Green played well last season because they run plays that let him post up. That's what Green should do. He should be used in post up and spot up situations. He shouldn't be used as a ball handler.

The Nets used him to his strength last year. That's why he had a good season. We don't use him to his strength. We use him to his weakness (ball handling). And that's why he isn't playing as good this season.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

well......it was preseason, so just dont get too excited.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    Just one correction. Collison is a better player than Augustin, but not a better PG. Augustin's PG abilities are superior to Collison, but his shooting and defending abilities are not NBA worthy. On the other hand Collison can shoot, and can play some kind of defense.
    Collison showed some good play-making ability last year, I would put him above Augustin

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kemo View Post
    I agree.. notice how well Green played in preseason with Ben? point proven.... I expect Green to get quite a few highlight dunks and plays with Ben feeding him lobs and good passes...
    Might be good enough to trade him to the Lakers. After all, they did sign McRoberts, another high flyer renowned for his dunks.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pathil275 View Post
    Might be good enough to trade him to the Lakers. After all, they did sign McRoberts, another high flyer renowned for his dunks.
    An athletic wing that can shoot the 3? They'll take him and run.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Green seems to be one of those guys that takes a while to learn a new system. If that is correct, he should improve as the season goes on. He does seem to have a better grasp of the defensive rotations and offensive scheme. Still some problems getting lined up right on defense, but overall an improvement.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

I don't think Green and Mahinmi have been that bad. Green has been a slight disappointment to me, but honestly nothing for me to get too worked up about. Augustin has been the big flame out.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

23. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I don't think Green and Mahinmi have been that bad. Green has been a slight disappointment to me, but honestly nothing for me to get too worked up about. Augustin has been the big flame out.
    I actually think Mahinmi has been better than I expected, but I had very low expectations. Green has been exactly what I expected. There is a reason he was out of the league for so long.

Augustin has been worse than even his worst enemy could have hoped. He hasn't looked like an NBA player since he's been here.

All-in-all, it's getting really hard to not think this offseason was a major bust.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    An athletic wing that can shoot the 3? They'll take him and run.
    Key word being "run." Which is what the 2nd unit needs to do more often. Gerald Green is a deadly talent in transition, but how many transition buckets do the Pacers go for? Last year we were horrible (Collison was a 1-man show who never passed, and that quickly led to other guys not even bothering to run down the court with him) and this year we're near the bottom of the league, if I heard the TV guys correctly yesterday. I saw Green look for two lobs last night and both times the point guard missed it. With a guy like that, you've got to play to his strengths. His shooting will come around, but (other than that weird play on which he was probably fouled last night) he won't miss dunks.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

Match ups are key for Ian, he looks great in the right match up, I'm fine with his play in the last set of games.

Green is horrific, he doesn't know how to play, He's a way way worse, more athletic Brandon Rush, yuck.

Augustin doesn't look worthy of being in the league, he's not this bad, but he is playing his way out of the league. Indifference, confidence, desire, something. Who knows, but Franks right to bench him, he's unplayable. Sundaita Gaines would have been better at least he can defend.

Kravitz has it right, it obvious, but Hansbrough has not only not gotten better, he's worse. I wondered aloud his dedication to the game, he's added nothing in 4 years, he was older to begin with, its just painstaking to think he either 1.) doesn't work at it 2.) this is as good as he can be 3.) he's too arrogant to be coached into the right type of improvement. That sounds harsh, but I remember seeing him asked about his left hand and he just scoffed and said he does have a left hand... no you don't. He's a 1 trick pony who has been figured out and hasn't developed. I mean I want to like him, he's physical and intense, but his game is just simple and ineffective.

Lance looks better and he's gained an understanding that he's not the man, impressive mindset change. Not sure where he goes from here, but I think he's taken the correct step in his progression.

Overall, maybe the worse bench in the league next to Portland and they just lack NBA caliber talent. Good thing Hill, PG, and D West are taking responsibility, along with the defensive half of Roy. Otherwise this could be a train wreck.

Gerald Green is not a great creator from what I saw of him, and when we play him with the rest of our bench he isnt going to look great because there is no one out there that can create for themselves or others. I do believe when Lance starts coming off the bench our bench will improve drastically with Lance, Green, Mahinmi coming off the bench. (Mahinmi is a HUGE upgrade to Lou Amundson. However, Augustin was an even bigger downgrade from Collison, I think we have to hope Stephenson can take on the Collison role when Danny is back.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to brownjake43 For This Useful Post:

I think that Ben and Lance together in the second unit along with Green and Mahinmi would be a much better
    mix than what we have currently. Last years bench was a bunch of scrappers and this group sans Ben and Tyler is about finesse.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This has been my reaction too. Green has shot nice looking open jumpers off the dribble, he's just not hitting them. But otherwise he's had the level of impact I expected.

Mahinmi has 2 issues, iffy hands and a knack for getting the raw end of foul calls (or non calls). Something about his passive reactions in plays seems to draw the blame from the refs. He tries to get clear of a defensive play and does so, yet gets called for doing far less than Roy's been getting away with on his aggressive shot blocks.

I think both of them are still feeling their way into their roles, but I'm comfortable with letting both develop with the team.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Green has been a disappointment, but he doesn't look like a lost cause.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Green is a better player than he's shown so far.

I think the ball isn't in his hands more. He's great off the dribble and can get his own shot. That's why he's here. Right now, we have him as a shooter more than anything. He's an off-and-on shooter, but it's really not the big highlight of his game. Defensively, he's been decent.

Of course the bench in general has not looked as good as they could greatly due to poor PG play. Ben was certainly more beneficial to the bench than DJ had been so hopefully he keeps it up and improves more. We need a PG who doesn't necessarily need to score often, but someone who can keep the offensive flow moving. Ben looked to be that type of PG. He made some nice shots and spaced the floor to find guys.

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar View Post
    I believe...

Hey, welcome back! Post more often.

-Jay
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    Green is a better player than he's shown so far.

I think the ball isn't in his hands more. He's great off the dribble and can get his own shot. That's why he's here. Right now, we have him as a shooter more than anything. He's an off-and-on shooter, but it's really not the big highlight of his game. Defensively, he's been decent. . .
    I agree. Many of the problems Gerald Green is having will go away as he gets used to what the Pacers want him to do. Watching during the games he is trying to do what he is asked to do. His defensive rotations are sharper. As the coaches fine tune the offense to take advantage of his skill set, he will become a more useful player.