5 13.89%

0 0%

1 2.78%

1 2.78%

0 0%

0 0%

Thread: Grading Ben Hansbrough

Default Grading Ben Hansbrough

So what do you guys think of him after this game? Personally I give him a 7 out of 10. Maybe even an 8 considering it was his first game in the role. He seemed to play good defense, was getting the ball to people in a good position to score, drove the lane to create for others, and didn't have bad form on his shots.
    I was really hoping I'd see him play against Irvin, but I don't recollect that ever happening. Still, he gave me some hope that things can get better.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Grading Ben Hansbrough

I give him a 10 considering the defense he played, the three he hit, and the playmaking with his brother.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

He had better control of the offense and ball than Augustin did, I felt more comfortable with him running the point. That said, he didn't do anything extraordinary. But I think that's what he needed; just come out and hold the fort and not make any major mistakes and make some stuff happen.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He had better control of the offense and ball than Augustin did, I felt more comfortable with him running the point. That said, he didn't do anything extraordinary. But I think that's what he needed; just come out and hold the fort and not make any major mistakes and make some stuff happen.
    What about his effort? That was pretty extraordinary the way he saved that ball from going out of bounds.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeniusJMG For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I gave him an 8, which is about a "B" for me, mainly because I am not grading on a curve. If it was only compared to DJ, it'd be an 11.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Too soon. Wait awhile, then we will see. He was good yesterday.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by GeniusJMG View Post
    What about his effort? That was pretty extraordinary the way he saved that ball from going out of bounds.
    Yea, good effort, he's a Hansbrough, so that's a given.

I do think it's pretty damn neat that two brothers are playing alongside each other on the court. They are sort of anchoring the bench squad. You know what team the Hansbrough family is watching hehe.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by GeniusJMG View Post
    Twice!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MnvrChvy For This Useful Post:

He lacks one extremely important thing that is needed to be a really good point guard in the NBA. (Not to suggest anyone even remotely expects him to be anything but a decent backup). He has trouble getting to where ever he wants to on the court with the ball. There were a few times when he was pressured and the defense was able to stop him dead in his tracks.

But I liked what I saw. Too early to breakdown his games, we need to see more. But he made a more positive impact that Augustin has

Mood

Fantastic defensive showing last night. He's tenacious just like his brother, but in a smaller box. Tyler's iPad Mini.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I gave him an 8, which is about a "B" for me, mainly because I am not grading on a curve. If it was only compared to DJ, it'd be an 11.
    That's what I was looking for. I actually was pretty ecstatic with his performance last night, but I know a lot of that is tied up with how DJ has disappointed. I don't want him to try to be this year's Jeremy Lin. I'm just hoping for a solid-skills PG who can initiate a defense. I think he met that bar.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I actually like Ben's size as a prototypical PG. 6'3", 205... that's a good rounded size for that position, I like it. I don't feel like he's going to get overpowered by other guards. I think he can be pretty good if he rounds his game out and gets that confidence.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There wasn't anything he did that I thought he couldn't replicate. I give him a solid "C" for average. His defense is 1000x better than DJs. He was active while in help defense and he atleast wasn't allowing the offensive player to go right around him without a screen. Sloan started picking him up as he crossed half court, and it caused him to start the offense way out near center court. That can't continue to happen.

He plays the PG position more like Hill, and I think that's a good thing for the rest of the squad.

I gave him a 7 mostly because of 1st game jitters. He moves the ball fairly well and found some people in position to shoot good shots off his pass. I really like the fact that when he passes into the post he cuts through and back outside instead of standing around clogging up the paint waiting for the return pass. He has the makings of a fair backup PG with this group. If our offense on the 2nd unit ever catches up, Ben could be better than what I see as his ceiling right now. I see him as an AJ Price type PG.

It's just one game. But for the last game I'll give him a solid 8 given the expectations. What I liked is his defense. Not really that fast but his size and a little physical game really provides him an advantage when guarding smaller guys. And I think he has somewhat affected Tyler's game in a little way. The energy and hustle is there, and if he continues to do great on small things the rest of the bench as a 5-man unit will start to do better.

That said, there are still more games to see if he's really effective as a potential backup PG. Let's not get too jumpy, but at the same time, let's not also be too harsh when he gets a bad on the next games.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

I gave him a 9, cause I think he did exactly what he should do, which is play smart, don't over play on the offensive set and just do what he does. He is a bball fanatic. He knows his limitations and he works very well not to get them exposed. As I mentioned in another thread, I watched him play almost every game at ND and he very rarely does things to hurt the team. He plays very well within a system and in ND when all else failed he would more times then not put the team on his back and start draining 3's from all over the court. I know he will have his struggles against good defensive guards and when this happens, I see him getting benched, cause it will happen. He had times of struggle in college against quick, aggressive defenders. The team better always be ready to bail him out on traps cause he will not fight his way out of them. Not saying he isn't tough, just saying his physical limitations will haunt him in traps.

I am really stoked that he is getting playing time and I hope the team plays smart when he is out there, cause he is a cold blooded shooter when need be.

One more thing, I guess what drew me to keep watching him is I never could figure out (or was amazed) how a guy as awkward as he looks on the floor could prevail so often. Kinda like the cinderella's of the world.

Props to Ben for hanging tough and getting his opportunity.
    Last edited by Pacer Fan; 12-13-2012 at 11:33 AM.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Quote Originally Posted by MnvrChvy View Post
    That's what I was looking for. I actually was pretty ecstatic with his performance last night, but I know a lot of that is tied up with how DJ has disappointed. I don't want him to try to be this year's Jeremy Lin. I'm just hoping for a solid-skills PG who can initiate a defense. I think he met that bar.
    If he becomes this year's Jeremy Lin then that'll be good somehow. But it's somehow impossible given that he won't be playing that much significant minutes as Hill is doing a good job at his position. But if he'll be the key to make the bench unit better then it's already a great improvement. He'll get solid minutes if he continues to do a good job in taking care of possessions, controlling the pace, being smart enough in shot selection, and playing individual and team defense.

Do we need to knock him down a peg for just walking straight out onto the floor without checking in? I thought that was funny and encouraging at the same time. It's like he was so ready to get out there he forgot everything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    He lacks one extremely important thing that is needed to be a really good point guard in the NBA. (Not to suggest anyone even remotely expects him to be anything but a decent backup). He has trouble getting to where ever he wants to on the court with the ball. There were a few times when he was pressured and the defense was able to stop him dead in his tracks.

But I liked what I saw. Too early to breakdown his games, we need to see more. But he made a more positive impact that Augustin has
    It felt a bit similar to Saras before people realized he couldn't get to his spots, and then started attacking him really hard and he couldn't get the ball to the half court line.

It was pretty strange he was starting the offense at the half court line. I was afraid he was going to get over and back, but even odder... the defense didn't pressure him there and just sort of let him operate there because it was so far away.
    Removed link to my website after a PM from Able.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Ben did what he always does and why I loved him as a pickup on the cheap. He dogged with his man as much as possible on defense, chasing down plays to get back in them and disrupt the flow a little. And on offense he has a sense of "no stalls" and tries to keep the ball moving as much as possible. He won't stand still and hold/dribble, he'll move it and then move himself to help keep things flowing. He's got good awareness for what the offensive play needs.

If he had the handles and athletic ability he'd be out of the Pacers range to even sign and would have been drafted very high. Unfortunately his toolkit is a bit light, but he uses every tool he's got and applies them correctly and when needed.

A bit better than Price overall, definitely has a better sense for shot selection. That works great for a backup PG on a team looking to fill a couple of bench holes with budget salaries to keep the team salary under control.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 12-13-2012 at 12:48 PM.

28. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

An awful lot of love for Ben. We need more time but just continuing what he did last night would be a success. I think he can do better.
    They need to take advantage of his shooting. What happened to the posters who said he was a zero?
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-