Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fisrt Time Post

Default Fisrt Time Post

Hey all. Long time viewer, first time poster. Just wondering what people think about PG24 and when Granger comes back if he will continue to be aggressive or tone it back down? Seems like he is finally coming along to the role we all new/hoped he would. Just hate to see that diminish when Granger returns. Nothing against Danny at all, but I think we all can agree to liking this PG24 we have been seeing as of late Discuss..

*Cheers!*

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Eas For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Default Re: Fisrt Time Post

Welcome!

Well hopefully he continues his play when Danny comes back and the Pacers start scoring 100 + ppg, instead of 91 ppg.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

I'll be a little upset if at least one of the two isn't on the court at all times.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hey guys, I'm new here as well. Was thinking of posting my own introduction but will join in here.

Been watching more NBA this year than in years past. I'm a huge NHL fan (specifically the St. Louis Blues) but that's obviously not going so well right now. I've been to two Pacers games in the last calendar year and have grown to appreciate the NBA's brand of basketball the more I've watched it. I only live 2 hours away from Indy but don't get Pacers games on TV, so you guys are my source of info. I jokingly became a Clippers fan back around 2000 but grew to be a real fan of theirs over the years. It was at a Clippers-Pacers game last March in Indy that I became really impressed with the Pacers, the fans, etc. and I've paid more and more attention to the Pacers and less attention to the Clippers. Thanks for having me.

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheRyanExpress For This Useful Post:

PGs recent developments are going to be SO beneficial for Granger, who was basically playing a role that he isn't completely comfortable playing.
    To be honest I expect Granger's efficiency to increase a lot because defenses won't be able to make him the primary target to shut down.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BornReady For This Useful Post:

Hey guys, I'm new here as well. Was thinking of posting my own introduction but will join in here.

Been watching more NBA this year than in years past. I'm a huge NHL fan (specifically the St. Louis Blues) but that's obviously not going so well right now. I've been to two Pacers games in the last calendar year and have grown to appreciate the NBA's brand of basketball the more I've watched it. I only live 2 hours away from Indy but don't get Pacers games on TV, so you guys are my source of info. I jokingly became a Clippers fan back around 2000 but grew to be a real fan of theirs over the years. It was at a Clippers-Pacers game last March in Indy that I became really impressed with the Pacers, the fans, etc. and I've paid more and more attention to the Pacers and less attention to the Clippers. Thanks for having me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRyanExpress For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eas View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hey all. Long time viewer, first time poster. Just wondering what people think about PG24 and when Granger comes back if he will continue to be aggressive or tone it back down? Seems like he is finally coming along to the role we all new/hoped he would. Just hate to see that diminish when Granger returns. Nothing against Danny at all, but I think we all can agree to liking this PG24 we have been seeing as of late Discuss..

*Cheers!*
    Welcome.

In my opinion Paul George didn't prove anything yet. He's developing, but he didn't get to that role we all want him to be, at least not yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In the past, Granger has asserted himself as the main weapon on the floor and PG has deferred, and become non-assertive. A change in that dynamic won't just be a change on PG's part. Danny will have to adjust also. Can he? Not sure.

...and welcome, EAS.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

v my fave #13, sorry PG ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

IF PG can continue this, I think it'll help Danny not have to be the "savior" when he comes back. He'll have more time to ease back into things without having to carry the team immediately. That said, I still worry PG won't keep this up, or won't when Danny comes back.

Hey, I'm a new poster as well, might as well start in this thread.

In my opinion Paul George didn't prove anything yet. He's developing, but he didn't get to that role we all want him to be, at least not yet.
    Is this because you think the last 5 games are a fluke rather than his new norm? Where do you want to see him? If he continues the averages he has had for the last 5 games, is that it or do you expect more than that?

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Young Red For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Young Red View Post
    Hey, I'm a new poster as well, might as well start in this thread.

Is this because you think the last 5 games are a fluke rather than his new norm? Where do you want to see him? If he continues the averages he has had for the last 5 games, is that it or do you expect more than that?
    5 games are a sample size... I could easily pick some other 5 games where he played bad. He's beasting on these last -few- games, but these are still -few-
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Eas View Post

*Cheers!*

I hope that either Granger or PG goes to the second team when Granger returns. I want to see Lance get a real chance to show what he can do. Lance is the only potential star the Pacers have and it is time to unleash him and see what he really has. I am sure this will be a minority view but we are not a contending team even when Granger returns. We might be next year if Lance proves to be really special...... ...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I hope that either Granger or PG goes to the second team when Granger returns. I want to see Lance get a real chance to show what he can do. Lance is the only potential star the Pacers have and it is time to unleash him and see what he really has. I am sure this will be a minority view but we are not a contending team even when Granger returns. We might be next year if Lance proves to be really special...... ...

I think in a situation like this, you gotta let Lance take a shot at running the bench squad first. Give him starter minutes, and he can play some Point and Shooting guard with the starters rotating around. Should really shore up some of the problems the bench is having.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to kmjohnson For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

I think PG is really edging into become a beast. Hopefully he and Granger can get very used to playing aggressively next to each other (PG drive into the paint, dish out to Granger at the perimeter), and hopefully he continues this "development" into the King he calls himself. And I have every belief in my mind that he can do it.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

There's a fisrt time for everything. Welcome aboard.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

PG's last five are very encouraging. I love what I'm seeing. But a reputation/expectation for this level has to be forged over a long period, maybe this whole year would work. So, that means he's still got work to do building that rep both before and then after DG returns.

Assuming DG contributes near his normal level this season, then I'd agree with Lance officially being handed the keys to the second PG role. Unless BHans is just out of sight or Agustin truly responds to the benching. In that case, Lance is technically more the SG.

When I look at our bench, the biggest question for me is one of shooting. THans and Green - will they ever find their stoke? If they don't, then it's going to be a long year for the bench squad regardless. It's really both guys' claim to fame. For all the energy THans brings to the floor, the mid-range J is make or break as to him being a difference maker. Green the same from mid-range to distance. Of course, Granger may play off the bench for a while until he get back into shape. So that would be interesting in and of itself.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Danny and Paul can coexist. The question is, can Vogel create rotations that keep Paul or Danny on the floor nearly all of the time? That is, by in large, how teams with multiple scorers rotate.

3 new guys... cool

I have my doubts about Paul at SG, especially playing next to Danny's selfish style. I think being the go to guy at SF and playing alongside Lance has helped speed up his development offensively. It's also beginning to look like he's a better defender at SF then SG (which i got laughed at for suggesting btw). He's defending them better so far this year than Danny ever has.

Hate to say it, but even knowing it'll make the team better I'm not thrilled about Danny's return. The young guys (Paul and Lance) that I've felt were crucial to our future success are developing nicely. I'd hate to see their usage drop for a few more wins this season. JM (hated) O

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    3 new guys... cool

I have my doubts about Paul at SG, especially playing next to Danny's selfish style. I think being the go to guy at SF and playing alongside Lance has helped speed up his development offensively. It's also beginning to look like he's a better defender at SF then SG (which i got laughed at for suggesting btw). He's defending them better so far this year than Danny ever has.

Hate to say it, but even knowing it'll make the team better I'm not thrilled about Danny's return. The young guys (Paul and Lance) that I've felt were crucial to our future success are developing nicely. I'd hate to see their usage drop for a few more wins this season. JM (hated) O
    Danny will be coming off a knee injury, so even if he WANTED to come in and be a high usage player, he wouldn't be able to at first. Also I don't necessarily think Danny is "selfish". Up until last season, he's never had anyone better than him, or even remotely close to as good as him on the team, so why would he allow other players to take on more of an offensive load when he was easily the best option on the floor? Last season, he sacrificed shots for D. West and Roy, so idk why he wouldn't be inclined to take sacrifice even more in order for PG to grow. If anything, I think Danny will be taking shots away from G.Hill, not PG.

This would also help Lance imo. He will be able to get a few more shots up with the second unit, while still being able to rotate in and out with some of the starters.

Idk how well they'll compliment one another offensively, it all depends on what we'd have Danny doing. If we can run him off screens/have him spot up, while allowing PG to continue what he's been doing, then all of a sudden we've got something going good on the perimeter offensively that will mesh well with our post play.

Obviously this is all predicated on Danny coming back, healthy. If he does, then I think my above statements could possibly help us THIS season, as well as season's to come. If Danny is NOT the Danny of old, then he probably would be best suited to come off the bench as a spot up option. I hate to say that, but there's no need having a Danny at 65-70% start and take shots away from a still developing Lance who's healthy (not taking his sprained ankle into account)
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 12-14-2012 at 11:06 AM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    5 games are a sample size... I could easily pick some other 5 games where he played bad. He's beasting on these last -few- games, but these are still -few-
    Even though you can do that, It would be difficult to pick 5 games in a row where he played as badly as he has played well these last 5, and this is new in his career, as before these last 5 games he had never put together so many good games in a row.

It is interesting to note too, that he's been excellent at home overall this season.

20.2 ppg
    7.4 rpg
    3.6 rpg
    1.1 spg
    .8 bpg

48.9 % from the field.

is his average this year in 9 home games.

Professional Beachcomber mildlysane's Avatar
    Mood

Geart 1st post...welcome

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    I'll be a little upset if at least one of the two isn't on the court at all times.
    There is no way this is possible. Look at how long Vogel has been pushing West and/or Hill to stay out with the bench. He wants his main guys out there as much as possible as long as the bench struggles for points.

There's easily 35 mpg the second Danny can handle them without cutting into anyone else's PT (core), though Vogel would probably like to reduce West's time I think, and you can't really do much about Hill's PT via Granger.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 12-14-2012 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Danny will be coming off a knee injury, so even if he WANTED to come in and be a high usage player, he wouldn't be able to at first. Also I don't necessarily think Danny is "selfish". Up until last season, he's never had anyone better than him, or even remotely close to as good as him on the team, so why would he allow other players to take on more of an offensive load when he was easily the best option on the floor? Last season, he sacrificed shots for D. West and Roy, so idk why he wouldn't be inclined to take sacrifice even more in order for PG to grow. If anything, I think Danny will be taking shots away from G.Hill, not PG.

This would also help Lance imo. He will be able to get a few more shots up with the second unit, while still being able to rotate in and out with some of the starters.

Idk how well they'll compliment one another offensively, it all depends on what we'd have Danny doing. If we can run him off screens/have him spot up, while allowing PG to continue what he's been doing, then all of a sudden we've got something going good on the perimeter offensively that will mesh well with our post play.

Obviously this is all predicated on Danny coming back, healthy. If he does, then I think my above statements could possibly help us THIS season, as well as season's to come. If Danny is NOT the Danny of old, then he probably would be best suited to come off the bench as a spot up option. I hate to say that, but there's no need having a Danny at 65-70% start and take shots away from a still developing Lance who's healthy (not taking his sprained ankle into account)
    If you look at the per 36 Danny didn't really take a step back last year despite the addition of West and the emergence of Roy. I don't think Danny's selfish purposefully, I just think his game is selfish.

I see Paul as much more important to the team long term, and I think we've done him a disservice trying to develop him as a SG. The eye test and the stats have so far backed up my view on Paul... he's really good at SF.

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    There is no way this is possible.
    Has the NBA taught you nothing?

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Look at how long Vogel has been pushing West and/or Hill to stay out with the bench. He wants his main guys out there as much as possible as long as the bench struggles for points.

There's easily 35 mpg the second Danny can handle them without cutting into anyone else's PT (core), though Vogel would probably like to reduce West's time I think, and you can't really do much about Hill's PT via Granger.
    My concern is that there will be points in games when neither is on the floor. I understand that having both out on the floor forces the defense to pick it's poison, but the bench offense has been so anemic thus far that it'd be great to always have one of them out there at all times.