Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kravitz: offseason upgrades to bench were no upgrades

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Kravitz: offseason upgrades to bench were no upgrades

What I keep going back to is "fit". For example, most of us seem to now be of an opinion that Granger's presence greatly enhances the performance of our starting unit. Although, I will give George and Vogel major credit in that they have made major advances over the last 5-6 games in adjusting george's role to help the performance of the starting unit.

And the same is true for the bench. The only difference is that the player's aren't nearly as skilled, therefore the learning curve will probably be longer. The things I feel confident in concluding are:

DJ just doesn't fit into the second unit. His performance in a half-court game has been abysmal. And, especially after attempting to improve the defense of the second unit, it would make sense that we want a backup PG whose strength is half-court play in order to help slow the game down while still being able to initiate plays and directing the offense towards good, patient shots. And thus far, those strengths don't appear to play into DJ's bag of tricks. Ben, OTOH, although drawing a conclusion after only one game, appears to have that strength while also being a much, much better defender than DJ.

I'm not blaming DJ because based on his prior season, it seemed that we were getting a great player for the second unit whose glaring weakness (defense) was going to be well-compensated by other players acquired for the second unit. Unfortunately, those in his camp were wrong because DJ has played enough games to show that he just isn't going to fit.

As for Young and Mahinmi, they have greatly bolstered the defense of the second unit and have enough offensive skills to warrant saying that they will eventually prove to be good fits. I would go as far to say that Ian could step in as a part-time starter if Roy had to sit a handful of games.

Green is the puzzle for me. His ball IQ is horrendous; he's probably more "deer in the headlights" than Bender ever was. I guess I'll just say that Greens usefulness is totally dependent on the PG that is on the court with him. If we have a PG with decent half-court vision that can penetrate the lane, then opportunities for Green could be created to accompany the few opportunities that can be provided for him on fast breaks. If not, then we need to find a cave for Green on another team where he can hibernate.

At any rate, I think that the ability for a player's skills to blend with those of his teammates is even more important than the statistics he presents while playing for other teams. Using that criteria, we may have gotten a couple of keepers. But then again, we have also probably picked up a couple of duds, too. It might very well come down to how well we can settle the PG position in the second unit.
    Last edited by beast23; 12-13-2012 at 01:29 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've never met anyone incapable of it, but maybe thats the case.
    Im no ball player by any means, but even when I plyed in school. i could never use my left. still cant.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Can't say I disagree with Kravitz so far, but the bench could be playing a lot better than it has.

In large part, poor play at the point is the major liability.

Guys like Gerald, Ian, and Tyler have great potential given better PG play. Those guys aren't playing as well as they should be. Ben looked like he can be an advantage over DJ to the bench, but we'll have to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Even with Granger back, unless he spends a lot of time at power forward, Hansbrough's minutes are still a major issue.
    He said Plumlee is coming along. Maybe we see a Ian/Miles combo in the near future.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    Can't say I disagree with Kravitz so far, but the bench could be playing a lot better than it has.

In large part, poor play at the point is the major liability.

Guys like Gerald, Ian, and Tyler have great potential given better PG play. Those guys aren't playing as well as they should be. Ben looked like he can be an advantage over DJ to the bench, but we'll have to see.
    When Granger returns and players shift back to their expected roles, maybe things normalize that way.
    Last edited by QuickRelease; 12-13-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    He said Plumlee is coming along. Maybe we see a Ian/Miles combo in the near future.
    Plumlee is heading back to Ft. Wayne.

How bad must he be that Hansbrough is keeping him in the D-League?

Don't completely disagree, the new bench players have been disappointing. But I'd say Augustine is probably the only player that has been a downgrade, Ian Mahinmi is an upgrade, and Gerald Green is sort of a lateral move at best so far. The bench would be much better if Danny Granger was playing though. Put Lance Stephenson with the bench and I'd say the bench has the potential to be better than last year.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gold For This Useful Post:

Delonte West is still out there....
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

alacrity
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I'd take Ian over Lou, and Sam Young's way better than I expected. So that's positive.

At the backup wing spots, I prefer Stephenson/Young to Barbosa/Inferno. I recognize Green's shortcomings, but I also expect him to get better under our more disciplined coaching.

Augustin's the only really big miss from the offseason, and I don't really understand that one or blame our front office for it. Nobody in the world expected him to be this bad, including Kravitz or anybody on this board. As far as I'm concerned, this is all on DJ himself.

If Granger's playing 30+ minutes a night, then everything about the bench except the backup PG spot looks pretty good.
    I'd have preferred Stephenson/Inferno.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Even with Granger back, unless he spends a lot of time at power forward, Hansbrough's minutes are still a major issue.
    Yeah, I'll grant that. I was thinking primarily of our offseason acquisitions.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!