Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 36 of 36

Thread: Kravitz: offseason upgrades to bench were no upgrades

  1. #26
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,551

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kravitz: offseason upgrades to bench were no upgrades

    What I keep going back to is "fit". For example, most of us seem to now be of an opinion that Granger's presence greatly enhances the performance of our starting unit. Although, I will give George and Vogel major credit in that they have made major advances over the last 5-6 games in adjusting george's role to help the performance of the starting unit.

    And the same is true for the bench. The only difference is that the player's aren't nearly as skilled, therefore the learning curve will probably be longer. The things I feel confident in concluding are:

    DJ just doesn't fit into the second unit. His performance in a half-court game has been abysmal. And, especially after attempting to improve the defense of the second unit, it would make sense that we want a backup PG whose strength is half-court play in order to help slow the game down while still being able to initiate plays and directing the offense towards good, patient shots. And thus far, those strengths don't appear to play into DJ's bag of tricks. Ben, OTOH, although drawing a conclusion after only one game, appears to have that strength while also being a much, much better defender than DJ.

    I'm not blaming DJ because based on his prior season, it seemed that we were getting a great player for the second unit whose glaring weakness (defense) was going to be well-compensated by other players acquired for the second unit. Unfortunately, those in his camp were wrong because DJ has played enough games to show that he just isn't going to fit.

    As for Young and Mahinmi, they have greatly bolstered the defense of the second unit and have enough offensive skills to warrant saying that they will eventually prove to be good fits. I would go as far to say that Ian could step in as a part-time starter if Roy had to sit a handful of games.

    Green is the puzzle for me. His ball IQ is horrendous; he's probably more "deer in the headlights" than Bender ever was. I guess I'll just say that Greens usefulness is totally dependent on the PG that is on the court with him. If we have a PG with decent half-court vision that can penetrate the lane, then opportunities for Green could be created to accompany the few opportunities that can be provided for him on fast breaks. If not, then we need to find a cave for Green on another team where he can hibernate.

    At any rate, I think that the ability for a player's skills to blend with those of his teammates is even more important than the statistics he presents while playing for other teams. Using that criteria, we may have gotten a couple of keepers. But then again, we have also probably picked up a couple of duds, too. It might very well come down to how well we can settle the PG position in the second unit.
    Last edited by beast23; 12-13-2012 at 01:29 PM.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:


  3. #27

    Default Re: Kravitz: offseason upgrades to bench were no upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've never met anyone incapable of it, but maybe thats the case.
    Im no ball player by any means, but even when I plyed in school. i could never use my left. still cant.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

    @LetsTalkPacers

  4. #28
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kravitz: offseason upgrades to bench were no upgrades

    Can't say I disagree with Kravitz so far, but the bench could be playing a lot better than it has.

    In large part, poor play at the point is the major liability.

    Guys like Gerald, Ian, and Tyler have great potential given better PG play. Those guys aren't playing as well as they should be. Ben looked like he can be an advantage over DJ to the bench, but we'll have to see.

  5. #29
    Boom Baby! QuickRelease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,649

    Default Re: Kravitz: offseason upgrades to bench were no upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Even with Granger back, unless he spends a lot of time at power forward, Hansbrough's minutes are still a major issue.
    He said Plumlee is coming along. Maybe we see a Ian/Miles combo in the near future.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to QuickRelease For This Useful Post:


  7. #30
    Boom Baby! QuickRelease's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,649

    Default Re: Kravitz: offseason upgrades to bench were no upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can't say I disagree with Kravitz so far, but the bench could be playing a lot better than it has.

    In large part, poor play at the point is the major liability.

    Guys like Gerald, Ian, and Tyler have great potential given better PG play. Those guys aren't playing as well as they should be. Ben looked like he can be an advantage over DJ to the bench, but we'll have to see.
    When Granger returns and players shift back to their expected roles, maybe things normalize that way.
    Last edited by QuickRelease; 12-13-2012 at 03:13 PM.

  8. #31
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,034

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kravitz: offseason upgrades to bench were no upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He said Plumlee is coming along. Maybe we see a Ian/Miles combo in the near future.
    Plumlee is heading back to Ft. Wayne.

    How bad must he be that Hansbrough is keeping him in the D-League?

  9. #32

    Default Re: Kravitz: offseason upgrades to bench were no upgrades

    Don't completely disagree, the new bench players have been disappointing. But I'd say Augustine is probably the only player that has been a downgrade, Ian Mahinmi is an upgrade, and Gerald Green is sort of a lateral move at best so far. The bench would be much better if Danny Granger was playing though. Put Lance Stephenson with the bench and I'd say the bench has the potential to be better than last year.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Gold For This Useful Post:


  11. #33
    Member Sparhawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    4,984

    Default Re: Kravitz: offseason upgrades to bench were no upgrades

    Delonte West is still out there....
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

    Now really free Lance!

  12. #34
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19,503

    Default Re: Kravitz: offseason upgrades to bench were no upgrades

    alacrity
    O'Brien has been fired! Yay! What took so long?

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  13. #35
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    7,846

    Default Re: Kravitz: offseason upgrades to bench were no upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'd take Ian over Lou, and Sam Young's way better than I expected. So that's positive.

    At the backup wing spots, I prefer Stephenson/Young to Barbosa/Inferno. I recognize Green's shortcomings, but I also expect him to get better under our more disciplined coaching.

    Augustin's the only really big miss from the offseason, and I don't really understand that one or blame our front office for it. Nobody in the world expected him to be this bad, including Kravitz or anybody on this board. As far as I'm concerned, this is all on DJ himself.

    If Granger's playing 30+ minutes a night, then everything about the bench except the backup PG spot looks pretty good.
    I'd have preferred Stephenson/Inferno.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  15. #36
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,716

    Default Re: Kravitz: offseason upgrades to bench were no upgrades

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Even with Granger back, unless he spends a lot of time at power forward, Hansbrough's minutes are still a major issue.
    Yeah, I'll grant that. I was thinking primarily of our offseason acquisitions.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

Similar Threads

  1. Chris Paul says New Orleans Hornets must show urgency via upgrades [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-02-2010, 03:30 PM
  2. Oklahoma City voters approve arena upgrades [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-05-2008, 01:40 AM
  3. upgrades and consequences:
    By able in forum Feedback
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-07-2004, 04:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •