Thread: Indiana man who owned 47 guns arrested after elementary school threat

Default Indiana man who owned 47 guns arrested after elementary school threat

Indiana man who owned 47 guns arrested after elementary school threat
    Published December 16, 2012
    Associated Press
    CEDAR LAKE, Ind. – A northern Indiana man who allegedly threatened to "kill as many people as he could" at an elementary school near his home was arrested by officers who later found 47 guns and ammunition hidden throughout his home.
    Von. I. Meyer, 60, of Cedar Lake, was arrested Saturday after prosecutors filed formal charges of felony intimidation, domestic battery and resisting law enforcement against him. He was being held Sunday without bond at the Lake County Jail, pending an initial hearing on the charges, police said in a statement.
    Cedar Lake Police officers were called to Meyer's home early Friday after he allegedly threatened to set his wife on fire once she fell asleep, the statement said.
    Meyer also threatened to enter nearby Jane Ball Elementary School "and kill as many people as he could before police could stop him," the statement said. Meyer's home is less than 1,000 feet from the school and linked to it by trails and paths through a wooded area, police said.
    Police said in the statement that they notified school officials and boosted security at all area schools Friday — the same day 26 people, including 20 students, were shot and killed at an elementary school in Newtown, Conn.
    On Saturday, officers served warrants at Meyer's home and arrested him. The statement said police had learned that Meyer kept many weapons in his older, two-story home and "is a known member of the Invaders Motorcycle Gang."
    Officers searched the home, finding 47 guns and ammunition worth more than $100,000 hidden throughout the home. Many of the weapons were collector's guns.
    Cedar Lake is about 45 miles southeast of Chicago.
    A dispatcher with Cedar Lake Police said that the police chief was not available for interviews until Monday.
    Lake County police spokeswoman Patti Van Til said Sunday that a SWAT team from the department assisted in serving Saturday's warrants.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/12/16...#ixzz2FFKBZSBL

Default Re: Indiana man who owned 47 guns arrested after elementary school threat

Put this idiot in a facility until/if the professionals deem him ready to leave.

To me, if you make a threat like this kind, you should be immediately institutionalized until they decide you're okay to go.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Default Re: Indiana man who owned 47 guns arrested after elementary school threat

Hope the dumbass gets locked up for a long time.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jeffg-body For This Useful Post:

http://www.indystar.com/viewart/20121216/NEWS/121216004
    “If people followed through on all the threats they’ve ever made — things said in anger that they don’t really mean and regret — our population in this country would be half of what it is,” he said. “This was something he said in the heat of an argument. He hadn’t been plotting this.”
    I don't think half our country threatens elementary schools. I understand that people say stuff that they don't mean..but, c'mon...

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ErikD. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.indystar.com/viewart/20121216/NEWS/121216004

I don't think half our country threatens elementary schools. I understand that people say stuff that they don't mean..but, c'mon...
    True that. They do not abide with threats against airplanes or government officials, schools should be included in that list.

Do note however that it mentions many of his guns are collectors items.....does that make him a monster?
    Last edited by indygeezer; 12-17-2012 at 08:41 AM.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

So these were threats made to his wife, who then called the police? But he wasn't arrested that night. They waited until the next day and served a search warrant....confiscated all his guns i'm sure. I wonder if this will actually hold up in court. He did not commit any crime with a weapon(no charges indicating such), why do they have a right to confiscate his weapons, that also belong to this wife. Guns or not, He obviously didn't pose a real threat to anyone as they did not arrest him the day his wife filed 911. I'm sure his wife told police about the threat he made on the school, and all the guns he owns, and they hoped to find some sort of evidence to support that in their search. Instead they found nothing but a bunch of guns, which i'm sure they loved to get their hands on. None of the charges relate at all to making threats against a school.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Mood

If convicted of these charges he will not be allowed to own or even handle a firearm. Domestic violence is just automatic, no weapons. Following the trial, the guns would be returned to the wife unless she said "no thanks" in which case they could be auctioned or the modern stuff might be destroyed.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Our nation's Constitution should be upheld.

During a slightly earlier time, this likely would have been considered a violation of the ill-conceived Patriot Act due to it being a precursor to a domestic terrorist act. To my limited knowledge, this man would have basically had all of his rights taken from him without recourse and been subject to military tribunal and imprisonment in a military prison until such time as the military deemed a tribunal to be appropriate, which violates basic tenets of our Constitution.

IMO, while he definitely deserves retribution for even threatening such an act, he also deserves, as we all do, a speedy trial in a civilian court of law following incarceration in the interim in our civilian penal system.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our nation's Constitution should be upheld.

During a slightly earlier time, this likely would have been considered a violation of the ill-conceived Patriot Act due to it being a precursor to a domestic terrorist act. To my limited knowledge, this man would have basically had all of his rights taken from him without recourse and been subject to military tribunal and imprisonment in a military prison until such time as the military deemed a tribunal to be appropriate, which violates basic tenets of our Constitution.

IMO, while he definitely deserves retribution for even threatening such an act, he also deserves, as we all do, a speedy trial in a civilian court of law following incarceration in the interim in our civilian penal system.
    unless the wife is lying and it becomes he said she said. Perhaps he never threatend any such thing....perhaps she's pissed and out to get him. Reasonable may well turn him loose and return his guns.