Thread: "What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default "What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Luck play wasn’t reversed because referee didn’t see conclusive video

Sunday’s game between the Titans and Colts, during which Tennessee owner Bud Adams apparently opted for an end-zone suite, featured a controversial call that became less problematic after the home team won.

For a while, though, it appeared that the clearly erroneous failure of the officials to overturn an interception return for a touchdown could lift the Titans to a victory over the Colts.

Obvious and indisputable footage showed that Colts quarterback Andrew Luck’s knee was on the ground before he released a ball that hit Titans linebacker Will Witherspoon not very far above his. Witherspoon secured the catch and ran the ball in for a touchdown.

So why wasn’t the touchdown overturned via replay review? NBC officiating consultant Jim Daopoulos explained during Monday’s edition of Pro Football Talk that the replay assistant didn’t feed the conclusive video to the referee.

It’s unclear whether the failure was the result of CBS not serving up the video to the replay assistant or the replay assistant not getting it to the referee. However, CBS pumped the video through to the broadcast; it’s unlikely that the same angle wasn’t sent to the replay booth, for delivery to the portable replay apparatus at field level.

Either way, the system failed. And it’s a system that seems to be failing almost as often as it works the right way.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...clusive-video/

It's almost disgraceful and hasn't be talked a lot because we won but that doesn't make it less significant.Get your **** together NFL.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Johanvil For This Useful Post:

Default Re: "What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Thanked for getting the quote right and I agree the replay system is useless if it's not used right.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

I think the failure of replay on that play not getting the spotlight it probably deserves is because Luck clearly intended to pass the ball and clearly threw an interception. Had he simply went down with the ball in his hand preparing to throw and the ball popped out of his hand in the air and was caught in the air and/or recovered on the ground by the Titans it would've been far different.

The fact that he intended to throw, and did, mitigated the point his knee was down. Even though it should've been a sack he never should've thrown that ball.

But the truth is, when there's a replay as obvious as this and it doesn't get a call overturned during a challenge or review then it makes you question the system.
    Last edited by Bball; 12-12-2012 at 01:16 PM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

When I watched the replay, it looked like Luck went to throw the ball before he knew he was being tackled, and the defender wrapped up his right leg and yanked on it, effectively pulling his leg out from under him as he threw it. So while it was an unfortunate play, I don't necessarily blame Luck. It's not often someone yanks your leg out from under you mid-stride as you go to plant and throw from it. It clearly altered the trajectory.

Defender made a helluva catch, he had about .05 second to react and catch that thing and he did it.

But it shouldn't have stood, even at the stadium, with replay being shown repeatedly on the big screens, it was obvious to EVERYONE that Luck's knee was down before the ball left his hand. Doesn't matter if he was throwing it or not --- it should not have been an interception, or 7 points for the Tacks.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 12-12-2012 at 01:45 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

I don't disagree.... I was just speaking to why I think there hasn't been a bigger deal made out of it the blown call than there has been.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I actually think the opposite has occurred; I've read a number of thoughts saying that it was incredibly dumb for Luck to try to make the pass. I think it's a little unfair, because I get the feeling if he knew that guy was about to yank his leg out from under him, he probly would've held on to it. It seemed to me that Luck felt he had "escaped" the pressure and was in a decent spot to make a play, and was surprised when his foot hit nothing but air... and he was already mid-motion into his throw.

I need to try to find the replay; it was pretty obvious to me that he just went to throw it on the run and right as he set to throw the ball, the guy grabbed his ankle and yanked. I just gotta give credit to the Titans on that play; the guy made a real smart play on Luck, and then the other defender did an awesome job concentrating enough to make that catch.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 12-12-2012 at 09:03 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Thanked for getting the quote right and I agree the replay system is useless if it's not used right.
    Pretty sure it gets said with and without an "a" in the quote during the movie

Sports Logo Sports Logo

NFL on Andrew Luck's interception: 'We didn't get the play right'

The NFL has admitted the instant replay procedure failed in Sunday’s Indianapolis Colts-Tennessee Titans game, resulting in an Andrew Luck interception being returned for a touchdown.

A definitive replay angle showed Luck’s left knee touching the ground before he threw a pass intercepted by Titans linebacker Will Witherspoon and returned 40 yards for a touchdown. However, it was not relayed by replay official Howard Slavin in the pressbox to referee Peter Morelli.

Without benefit of the appropriate replay angle, Morelli allowed the call on the field to stand. The proper call should have been a sack by Titans linebacker Derrick Mason, and an ensuing punt by the Colts. All scoring plays are automatically reviewed.

Witherspoon’s second-quarter pick-6 gave the Titans a 17-7 lead. The Colts rallied for a 27-23 victory.

“No, we didn’t get the play right,’’ Dean Blandino, the NFL’s director of instant replay, said on NFL Network. “An error was made.’’

Despite the availability of the appropriate video angle of the play, “the referee never got a look at this angle because the replay official didn’t send it down to the field.

That’s something that we’re going to work on and we have been working on to make sure it doesn’t happen again.’’

Blandino said the replay official didn’t believe the definitive replay angle conclusively showed whether the football was out of Luck’s hand as his knee touched the ground.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...et-play-right-

Blandino said the replay official didn’t believe the definitive replay angle conclusively showed whether the football was out of Luck’s hand as his knee touched the ground.

------

-John Wooden

Sports Logo Sports Logo

When you're given such tool to make the right call and yet you fail to do so,for whatever reason,then there is something seriously wrong.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...et-play-right-
    Yet the other replays, which also didn't show conclusively whether the football was out of Luck's hand as his knee touched the ground, got sent down. It almost makes you wonder what city the replay official is from!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

I don't remember exactly what Luck said, but he basically feels he deserved the pick 6 anyway for making such a bonehead decision to throw it when he did. The refs got it wrong, but I'm glad Luck isn't using it as an excuse and is learning from his mistakes. He wouldv'e just been getting a mulligan for somethng he screwed up anyway.