Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

  1. #1
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,265

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    The NBA's softest players
    By Charley Rosen

    While NBA players are undoubtedly incredibly skilled, several of them have shortcomings that have nothing to do with their skill-set. Indeed, virtually every player in the league can be slotted into one (or more) of several possible (and usually diametrically opposite) categories that help to define their respective game plans. For example:

    Clutch players as opposed to those who routinely choke in the endgame.

    The shooters and the non-shooters.

    The defenders and the defenseless.

    Guys with high or low basketball IQs.

    The coachable and the uncoachable.

    Mature players and childish ones.

    Those who are unselfish and those who are self-absorbed.

    Glue-guys and locker room lawyers.

    And so on.

    The following list contains those players (in alphabetical order) who are universally deemed to be “soft”. But what exactly does this term signify?

    Smalls, of course, are not expected to habitually challenge bigs at every opportunity – especially when there might be a weight differential approaching 100 pounds.

    Also not every player who relies on finesse is necessarily soft, but those who habitually avoid physical contact do qualify.

    The following softees can, and are, frequently singled out by opponents and subjected to maximum body-to-body abuse, only because this crude and often brutal tactic can usually intimidate them.

    It should also be noted that soft players must be spectacularly talented or have at least one noteworthy specialty in order for them to survive in the sometimes bloodthirsty NBA competition.

    ANDREA BARGNANI: Shoots like a small forward and rebounds like one. Except for an occasional long-armed blocked shot, this seven-footer also plays negligible defense. During his career, his aversion to mano-a-mano confrontations is evidenced by Bargnani’s averaging a mere 3.4 free throws per game.

    OMRI CASSPI: Gets bumped and bounced so much that he’s practically useless when forced to play half-court offense.

    MIKE DUNLEAVY: Another player who gets bullied for profit, especially on defense.

    PAU GASOL: As soft as the Michelin Man, but incredibly long-limbed, super-smart, and extraordinarily talented.

    SPENCER HAWES: Would rather take one-on-none jumpers than alligator-wrestle in the shadow of the basket.

    ROY HIBBERT: Vanishes when opponents lean on him. If he was a measly 6-10 (instead of 7-2), he’d be a D-League lifer.

    ANTAWN JAMISON: Here’s what a staff member of a team he used to play for says about him: “AJ plays like he’s made of cotton candy. Even when he posts up, which he rarely does, he’ll wind up taking a fadeaway jumper.”

    JEREMY LIN: In addition to his long-distance shooting being shaky and his mediocre left hand, ornery chest-to-chest defense can render him useless.

    KEVIN MARTIN: Is quick and slithery, has great range, and can light up a scoreboard, but the slightest bump derails him.

    RICKY RUBIO: Quick, clever, great court vision, etcetera. But just might be the softest player in the NBA.

    AMARE STOUDEMIRE: Since his leg miseries have cost him at least two steps, he’s become primarily a jump shooter. Now that opponents can catch him, they’re eager to bang him around. He avoids the bumping-and-thumping in the low-post as though the paint is really a pit of quicksand.

    The brevity of this list is proof of just how rough-and-tough NBA action really is. The list of bona fide tough guys will be much longer.

  2. #2
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,265

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    I found the comment about Roy to be pretty telling. It's crazy how the thoughts about 55 has changed in just 1/4th of the season.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I found the comment about Roy to be pretty telling. It's crazy how the thoughts about 55 has changed in just 1/4th of the season.
    it's amazing how bad offensively he has played, looks like a point guard trying to post up a center.... but his defense is outstanding

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PacerPenguins For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,045

    Default Re: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerPenguins View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    but his defense is outstanding
    And not soft.

    Hibbert and West are kind of the polar opposites. On offense West is a man amongst men, while on defense he fades into the shadows. On defense even superstars are afraid of Roy, but on offense a kid could screw with his timing and balance.
    Last edited by Eleazar; 12-10-2012 at 12:34 PM.

  6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    4,063

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And not soft.

    Hibbert and West are kind of the polar opposites. One offense West is a man amongst men, while on defense he fades into the shadows. On defense even superstars are afraid of Roy, but on offense a kid could screw with his timing and balance.
    Could you imagine if we could combine them

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to ECKrueger For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Member eric1516's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    116

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    I wish I could disagree with this article but after seeing that Westbrook block, all I could do was shake my head. I'm also concerned for how he adjusts to having to sit out the last part of the game.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to eric1516 For This Useful Post:


  11. #7
    Member yoadknux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,320

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    Quote Originally Posted by PurduePacer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could you imagine if we could combine them
    I don't know. David Hibbert would be one hell of a player, but we'd need to find a new starting big!
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

  12. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,655

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    The thing is, Roy is 5x tougher than he used to be, but I would agree he is still soft. Especially mentally. Note I said mentally and not offensively. He can easily be taken out of his offensive game. A little bump here, a hard foul there, and he's done.

    I only wish he had the same approach offensively as he does defensively. I kind of wish Vogel would approach Hibbert before the next game and tell him "Roy you can shoot as much as you want this one game. You can shoot every time you get the ball, if you want to. But my only rule is that you have to dunk every shot you take. I don't care if you go around guys, through guys, or over guys, but you have to dunk. If you are called for fouls, I don't care, just keep dunking. And, oh by the way. The first time you do anything but dunk, I'm taking you out and you won't go back in."

    That's about the only way I see our franchise center growing a new set of what he needs.
    Last edited by beast23; 12-10-2012 at 01:12 PM.

  13. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:


  14. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,045

    Default Re: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    Quote Originally Posted by eric1516 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wish I could disagree with this article but after seeing that Westbrook block, all I could do was shake my head. I'm also concerned for how he adjusts to having to sit out the last part of the game.
    Yesit was WESTBROOK, not DJ Augustin. It wasn't some shrimp PG who is as strong as a baby, but a PG who is probably as strong and athletic as PG's come.

  15. #10

    Default Re: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    It's all mental with Roy.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:


  17. #11
    It could get ugly Brinocerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    109

    Default Re: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I only wish he had the same approach offensively as he does defensively. I kind of wish Vogel would approach Hibbert before the next game and tell him "Roy you can shoot as much as you want this one game. You can shoot every time you get the ball, if you want to. But my only rule is that you have to dunk every shot you take. I don't care if you go around guys, through guys, or over guys, but you have to dunk. If you are called for fouls, I don't care, just keep dunking. And, oh by the way. The first time you do anything but dunk, I'm taking you out and you won't go back in."
    This is all I want for Christmas...ever.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Brinocerous For This Useful Post:


  19. #12
    The Mole ColeTheMole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    551

    Default Re: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know. David Hibbert would be one hell of a player, but we'd need to find a new starting big!
    Tyler Miles Mahinmi could be a fringe starter.
    DG for 3

  20. #13
    THE WITCH IS DEAD!!! Coopdog23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Da Bank
    Posts
    2,908

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The NBA's softest players
    By Charley Rosen

    While NBA players are undoubtedly incredibly skilled, several of them have shortcomings that have nothing to do with their skill-set. Indeed, virtually every player in the league can be slotted into one (or more) of several possible (and usually diametrically opposite) categories that help to define their respective game plans. For example:

    Clutch players as opposed to those who routinely choke in the endgame.

    The shooters and the non-shooters.

    The defenders and the defenseless.

    Guys with high or low basketball IQs.

    The coachable and the uncoachable.

    Mature players and childish ones.

    Those who are unselfish and those who are self-absorbed.

    Glue-guys and locker room lawyers.

    And so on.

    The following list contains those players (in alphabetical order) who are universally deemed to be “soft”. But what exactly does this term signify?

    Smalls, of course, are not expected to habitually challenge bigs at every opportunity – especially when there might be a weight differential approaching 100 pounds.

    Also not every player who relies on finesse is necessarily soft, but those who habitually avoid physical contact do qualify.

    The following softees can, and are, frequently singled out by opponents and subjected to maximum body-to-body abuse, only because this crude and often brutal tactic can usually intimidate them.

    It should also be noted that soft players must be spectacularly talented or have at least one noteworthy specialty in order for them to survive in the sometimes bloodthirsty NBA competition.

    ANDREA BARGNANI: Shoots like a small forward and rebounds like one. Except for an occasional long-armed blocked shot, this seven-footer also plays negligible defense. During his career, his aversion to mano-a-mano confrontations is evidenced by Bargnani’s averaging a mere 3.4 free throws per game.

    OMRI CASSPI: Gets bumped and bounced so much that he’s practically useless when forced to play half-court offense.

    MIKE DUNLEAVY: Another player who gets bullied for profit, especially on defense.

    PAU GASOL: As soft as the Michelin Man, but incredibly long-limbed, super-smart, and extraordinarily talented.

    SPENCER HAWES: Would rather take one-on-none jumpers than alligator-wrestle in the shadow of the basket.

    ROY HIBBERT: Vanishes when opponents lean on him. If he was a measly 6-10 (instead of 7-2), he’d be a D-League lifer.

    ANTAWN JAMISON: Here’s what a staff member of a team he used to play for says about him: “AJ plays like he’s made of cotton candy. Even when he posts up, which he rarely does, he’ll wind up taking a fadeaway jumper.”

    JEREMY LIN: In addition to his long-distance shooting being shaky and his mediocre left hand, ornery chest-to-chest defense can render him useless.

    KEVIN MARTIN: Is quick and slithery, has great range, and can light up a scoreboard, but the slightest bump derails him.

    RICKY RUBIO: Quick, clever, great court vision, etcetera. But just might be the softest player in the NBA.

    AMARE STOUDEMIRE: Since his leg miseries have cost him at least two steps, he’s become primarily a jump shooter. Now that opponents can catch him, they’re eager to bang him around. He avoids the bumping-and-thumping in the low-post as though the paint is really a pit of quicksand.

    The brevity of this list is proof of just how rough-and-tough NBA action really is. The list of bona fide tough guys will be much longer.
    Obviously this guy has no idea what he's talking about
    "We want Miami"

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:


  22. #14
    All Hail CJ Watson! Nuntius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern Europe
    Posts
    19,035

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    What a horrible, horrible list. It's not only inaccurate. It's bigoted as hell.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:


  24. #15
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,265

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What a horrible, horrible list. It's not only inaccurate. It's bigoted as hell.
    I especially thought he was wrong when he listed Rubio. Having seen Rubio play in both Europe and now in the NBA (I know you saw him play with FC Barcelona too) and that kid is FAR from soft. Though not as obvious, his scrappy play reminds me of Stockton a little. Or maybe Jason Kidd in his younger PHX yrs. Far from soft.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:


  26. #16
    B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Basketball heartland
    Posts
    2,178

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    If I was Roy after reading all these comments, I would go out and go completely crazy on the court and look for every opportunity to be physical without knocking someone's head off.

  27. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,655

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I was Roy after reading all these comments, I would go out and go completely crazy on the court and look for every opportunity to be physical without knocking someone's head off.
    The problem is not Roy being physical. He's already doing that on the defensive end of the court.

    The problem is mental... he begins playing more passively offensively once someone gets a little physical with him. Either that or he just won't put in the effort to establish and control his position once someone starts getting physical with him... and I refuse to believe that is the issue because Roy is not lazy by any means. That's really why I would just as soon see him get uber-physical by trying to dunk everything. He needs to give up the baby hook for a a game or two and just start throwing his weight into people as he attempts to dunk over them. I'd really like to see him so crazy around the basket that folks start jumping out of the way to avoid getting scrunched. Perhaps in that regard, Roy can take some lessons from Hans before Hans disappears from the team.

  28. #18
    Member Derek2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    1,580
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    Quote Originally Posted by eric1516 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I wish I could disagree with this article but after seeing that Westbrook block, all I could do was shake my head. I'm also concerned for how he adjusts to having to sit out the last part of the game.
    The worst part of that was, he was shut down earlier in the game...by Thabo Sefalosha. Roy had the mismatch in the post, and couldn't score over him. It was so bad.

  29. #19
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,532

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The worst part of that was, he was shut down earlier in the game...by Thabo Sefalosha. Roy had the mismatch in the post, and couldn't score over him. It was so bad.
    George Hill forced Durant into an airball on one possession from the post. What's your point?

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:


  31. #20
    Member Derek2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    1,580
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    George Hill forced Durant into an airball on one possession from the post. What's your point?
    My point is that a 6'7" SG was able to stop an "All Star" center in the post. A 7'2" center.

    To try to compare putting Hill on Durant and Sefalosha on Hibbert is hilarious.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:


  33. #21
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,532

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My point is that a 6'7" SG was able to stop an "All Star" center in the post. A 7'2" center.

    To try to compare putting Hill on Durant and Sefalosha on Hibbert is hilarious.
    My point is that a 6'2" PG was able to stop a "perennial All Star, three time defending NBA scoring champion" small forward in the post. A 6'9" forward.

    How is that hilarious? It's the same size difference, and probably more since Durant used to be listed at 6'10". The biggest mismatch is most assuredly Durant's, not the guy who averaged a career high 12.8 points last year and is our secondary post option.
    Last edited by aamcguy; 12-10-2012 at 11:44 PM.

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:


  35. #22

    Default Re: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    Yea, Pau was real soft while making Howard his ***** in the Finals.

  36. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,045

    Default Re: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The worst part of that was, he was shut down earlier in the game...by Thabo Sefalosha. Roy had the mismatch in the post, and couldn't score over him. It was so bad.
    Apparently you did not see the PF sagging into the lane all but double teaming Hibbert. If it was only Sefalosha then he would not have stopped Roy, what stopped Roy was the PF standing right next to Sefalosha.

  37. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  38. #24
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,265

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yea, Pau was real soft while making Howard his ***** in the Finals.
    Yeah 4 years ago....

    2009 NBA finals

    D12: 15.4 pts, 14.2 rebs

    Pau: 18.6 pts, 9.2 rebs

    not quite domination

  39. #25
    Member Derek2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    1,580
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hoopshype.com Article - The NBA's softest players

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah 4 years ago....

    2009 NBA finals

    D12: 15.4 pts, 14.2 rebs

    Pau: 18.6 pts, 9.2 rebs

    not quite domination
    I don't know, that Finals was pretty skewed in LA's favor. The fact that Pau kept up with and actually outscored Dwight despite being a secondary/tertiary option is pretty impressive.

    Not saying I think Pau is tough, just that he, at one time, was a borderline elite scorer from that position.

Similar Threads

  1. Bleacher report's article on most hated players
    By Mark in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-16-2010, 07:25 PM
  2. HoopsHype interview with Danny
    By Kuq_e_Zi91 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-15-2010, 10:11 PM
  3. HoopsHype - Virus
    By BobbyMac in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-31-2007, 05:06 PM
  4. Available Free Agents - Hoopshype
    By Grant in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 09:08 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-30-2004, 10:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •