Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CIB reaches deal with Pacers

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: CIB reaches deal with Pacers

What about the f**ing Colts and Jim Irsay? The city & state had to pay to build them a stadium. The City contractually agreed to pay them $48M to move from the RCA Dome. Jim Irsay collects at least half the proceeds on EVERY event at the Stadium from Marching Bands to Monster Trucks. Oh yeah, The City pays to operate a stadium in which the Colts only play 8 games a season. When looking at all that... The Pacers have 46 events and just want a lil bit of a fair deal in relation to the other pro sports franchise in town!

Personally, I don't really care about what the "we spend too much on sports" residents think but as for discussion on this forum... lets not just reserve the TAR & FEATHERS for Herbert Simon!
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 12-12-2012 at 05:06 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What about the f**ing Colts and Jim Irsay? The city & state had to pay to build them a stadium. The City contractually agreed to pay them $48M to move from the RCA Dome. Jim Irsay collects at least half the proceeds on EVERY event at the Stadium from Marching Bands to Monster Trucks. Oh yeah, The City pays to operate a stadium in which the Colts only play 8 games a season. When looking at all that... The Pacers have 46 events and just want a lil bit of a fair deal in relation to the other pro sports franchise in town!

Personally, I don't really care about what the "we spend too much on sports" residents think but as for discussion on this forum... lets not just reserve the TAR & FEATHERS for Herbert Simon!

The Colts might have the best deal in all of professional sports. No doubt about that.

Criticize the system, not specifically the Pacers. It's not just them. It's all of them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    It should be said that you don't have to be a die hard Pacer fan to appreciate them staying in the city. If you yourself or friend or family member has a job connected with security, PS&E large staff, hotels, restaurants, parking and nightlife downtown, you definitely care about the Pacers. Those people felt the sting during the lockout.
    I remember talking with Scott Wise, the Owner of Scotty's Brewhouse during the NBA lockout. He said he lost a ton of money, a "metric ton" of revenue because the lack of Pacers' games.

So as a local business owner, I'm sure he was waking up in a cold sweat often last fall and early winter.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post

Not to mention that the residents of the Metropolitan area are still paying for the RCA Dome. The debt of that building in 2008 was still at $69 million.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Not to mention that the residents of the Metropolitan area are still paying for the RCA Dome. The debt of that building in 2008 was still at $69 million.
    How is that possible?

It was completed at a cost of $77.5 million, as part of the Indiana Convention Center, with the costs split between private and public money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_Dome

How did we owe 69 million on a building that cost 77.5 million to build 24 years after the thing opened?

I know everyone complains about the Irsay deal, but the cold hard truth is that the Colts are by far the most popular team in the area and it will never change again. The Colts left the Pacers in the dust about 10 years ago and there is no hope for the Pacers to ever catch them again, IMHO. The Colts are a marketing gold mine for anyone that chooses to advertise at a game. Luck coming in and leading the team to a 9-4 record in his rookie year sealed the deal. It's a Colts town now first and foremost, and will be for many many many years. Plus Lucas can host Super Bowls, Final Fours, and Elite 8 games.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-13-2012 at 03:09 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Forever is a long time, Sollozzo.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    Forever is a long time, Sollozzo.
    I know. I just don't see the Pacers touching the Colts for a long long long long time. That's just my take though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    How is that possible?

It was completed at a cost of $77.5 million, as part of the Indiana Convention Center, with the costs split between private and public money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RCA_Dome

How did we owe 69 million on a building that cost 77.5 million to build 24 years after the thing opened?
    I don't know the details, but there was something they did that added to the debt somehow. From my understanding most, if not all, of that debt isn't actually debt directly for the RCA Dome.

I know. I just don't see the Pacers touching the Colts for a long long long long time. That's just my take though.
    It is all about winning. If the Pacers start consistently winning and competing for a championship the fans will return. This state still loves basketball more than football.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This state still loves basketball more than football.
    If you're talking high school or college, then basketball wins hands down. But NFL football and the Colts is superior in popularity to the NBA and Pacers. The only way the Colts would have taken a nosedive in popularity is if they were awful for several years without Manning. But that's obviously not going to be the case. The success of the Luck-Colts this season has shown that they can survive without Manning. They have cemented themselves as Indy's most beloved team and I just don't see it changing any time soon, if ever. When you go to different places around Indy, all you see is Colts stuff. You see a bit more Pacers than you did a couple years ago, but it's still not even in the same ballpark.

The Pacers had the 5th best record in the league last year and more playoff success than in 7 years. Yet the attendance is still awful.

NFL is the better ran league. The Colts are the better ran franchise in the city. Until and if one or both of those things change then the Pacers will be 2nd banana. I can't see what could change that.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

If you're talking high school or college, then basketball wins hands down. But NFL football and the Colts is superior in popularity to the NBA and Pacers. The only way the Colts would have taken a nosedive in popularity is if they were awful for several years without Manning. But that's obviously not going to be the case. The success of the Luck-Colts this season has shown that they can survive without Manning. They have cemented themselves as Indy's most beloved team and I just don't see it changing any time soon, if ever. When you go to different places around Indy, all you see is Colts stuff. You see a bit more Pacers than you did a couple years ago, but it's still not even in the same ballpark.

The Pacers had the 5th best record in the league last year and more playoff success than in 7 years. Yet the attendance is still awful.
    If the Pacers start to consistently win every season they will prove to be just as popular or more popular as the Colts. Yes attendance was awful because it was the first time in 7 years they had any regular season or playoff success. Things don't change over night. People aren't going to start believing until you do it year in and year out. The popularity that the Colts have is from a decade of being a top team in the NFL, and from winning a SB. It isn't because football is a more popular sport in Indiana. It is because the Pacers have sucked for the past 7 years after a huge PR nightmare, while the Colts were constantly competing for championships. This isn't an either or proposition. Both teams can be highly successful and highly popular at the same time, but it is all about success. If the team wins the Pacers will be just as popular, probably wore popular than the Colts. The key is winning though, not just one season, but sustained winning.

I'll first admit I'm a newbie to the Pacers. That being said, I live in what I would consider an "NBA Dead Zone" (Central/Southern Illinois). You've still got some Bulls fans left over from the 90's, but most people down here aren't NBA fans. Even still, it's just not something that's discussed or marketed in this area all that well. We don't get Pacers games on TV here, although I can occasionally dial them in on the radio from time to time. My point is that I'm surprised the Pacers have never tried to extend their reach just a little bit. I've lived in this area my whole life (I'm 26), consider myself a huge sports fan, and yet I'm really only now getting into the Pacers because of the complete lack of access we have to the team just a few hours away. Not sure if this is a coherent thought on my part, but just my two cents on what they might be able to do to recruit new fans. I wouldn't be able to buy season tickets mind you, but I would definitely spend more money on apparel and make trips over to watch more games in person. I've been to 6 Pacers games and it's usually been to see the other teams. That will change now that I've grown interest in the team, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRyanExpress View Post
    I'll first admit I'm a newbie to the Pacers. That being said, I live in what I would consider an "NBA Dead Zone" (Central/Southern Illinois). You've still got some Bulls fans left over from the 90's, but most people down here aren't NBA fans. Even still, it's just not something that's discussed or marketed in this area all that well. We don't get Pacers games on TV here, although I can occasionally dial them in on the radio from time to time. My point is that I'm surprised the Pacers have never tried to extend their reach just a little bit. I've lived in this area my whole life (I'm 26), consider myself a huge sports fan, and yet I'm really only now getting into the Pacers because of the complete lack of access we have to the team just a few hours away. Not sure if this is a coherent thought on my part, but just my two cents on what they might be able to do to recruit new fans. I wouldn't be able to buy season tickets mind you, but I would definitely spend more money on apparel and make trips over to watch more games in person. I've been to 6 Pacers games and it's usually been to see the other teams. That will change now that I've grown interest in the team, of course.
    You would need to ask someone else for more details, but I believe there is some kind of market restrictions that prevent teams actively advertising outside a certain area or something along those lines.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

You would need to ask someone else for more details, but I believe there is some kind of market restrictions that prevent teams actively advertising outside a certain area or something along those lines.
    If that were the case, am I the only one that thinks that's ridiculous?

I do understand I could just purchase League Pass and that would be that, but sometimes there's not an extra $200 lying around waiting to be thrown at the NBA.
    Last edited by TheRyanExpress; 12-17-2012 at 05:05 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to TheRyanExpress For This Useful Post:

In sorta kinda related news, Herb and Irsay each donated $750k to the Indy Symphony Orchestra

http://www.indystar.com/article/2012...DO02/212180329

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by TheRyanExpress View Post
    If that were the case, am I the only one that thinks that's ridiculous?

I do understand I could just purchase League Pass and that would be that, but sometimes there's not an extra $200 lying around waiting to be thrown at the NBA.
    Oh I completely agree. Instead of having it me a generic area around the city the team is located, it would make more sense to make it based on proximity to the nearest team. So depending on how close you are to a team determines what team is allowed to market there. With possible exceptions for states where teams are able to advertise anywhere within the state, and teams in the same city have the same region. I mean why artificially limit your teams market to just a relatively small area. That can only hurt the NBA's potential to make money, especially small market teams. Imagine if the Pacers could get TV deals done in Kentucky, and parts of Illinois and Ohio. Suddenly the Pacers have a larger audience, and can actually break even.

Oh I completely agree. Instead of having it me a generic area around the city the team is located, it would make more sense to make it based on proximity to the nearest team. So depending on how close you are to a team determines what team is allowed to market there. With possible exceptions for states where teams are able to advertise anywhere within the state, and teams in the same city have the same region. I mean why artificially limit your teams market to just a relatively small area. That can only hurt the NBA's potential to make money, especially small market teams. Imagine if the Pacers could get TV deals done in Kentucky, and parts of Illinois and Ohio. Suddenly the Pacers have a larger audience, and can actually break even.
    Exactly! And apologies if I'm highjacking the thread on this point, not my intention. I get that you don't want teams crossing into other markets, but like you said, teams in smaller markets can grow their brand and win fans over. It's just puzzled me as someone new to the league.