Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

Given DJ's play, this is a no-brainer call. No harm, no foul regardless of how Hansbrough does.

Still surprised re: the pace of 2nd team... they all can run the court and have less defensive prowess. I still believe that DJ has the potential to be a solid backup player. His play earlier in his career wasn't fluky, IMO.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still predict he is cut and Ben Uzoh or Andrew Goudelock get picked up(or more likely a trade). Uzoh is a plus defender but his offense is terrible(although has improved this season). Goudelock fits what we do on offense I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a Pacers uni.

also is Chris Douglus Roberts a cancer or something? He is better than a lot of the end of the bench players in the league. I bet he will be this years Gerald Green. Watched him score an efficient 50 for Eddie Najera(gets award for most fit coach) few weeks back and he is getting 30 almost every game I watch him. He isnt getting a cheap 30 either he looks much improved from his younger days.
    I REALLY don't get how CDR can't stick on a team either. He can flat out score the ball, and he's proven to be able to do it in the NBA too. I wanted to pick him up before we got Green, if things don't get better it'd probably be a good idea to take a look at him to replace Young.

Still can't figure out what the Lakers were thinking, he'd instantly be their best player on the bench.

can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

CDR's Rashad McCant's 2.0. That's why he can't stick. Disillusioned guy that needs to learn that in the NBA players have roles and sometimes they're very small roles. You ain't at Memphis anymore.

The demotion of DJ is not surprising. However, I believe that the problem of the bench lies on the tempo they are playing. DJ, Green, Tyler and Mahinmi can run fast for transition baskets. They aren't so dependable on half-court sets. I think they should be utilized using their strength of speed.

There's no harm in letting Ben play. It's not that much of a risk. but maybe with this promotion it will inspire Ben enough for him to be a dependable backup.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Funny that some people really believe that Mcbob is more than just an scrub I wonder how long more until they realize that? the guy is garbage nothing else, I still remember the people that thought he was going to get at least MLE
    I haven't seen anybody say much about him other than he's better than Tyler, which was true when they were on the Pacers, and is still true today.

He also got the full mini-MLE from LA, which was the most they could offer. How do you know he didn't take less to go there?

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I still predict he is cut and Ben Uzoh or Andrew Goudelock get picked up(or more likely a trade). Uzoh is a plus defender but his offense is terrible(although has improved this season). Goudelock fits what we do on offense I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a Pacers uni.

also is Chris Douglus Roberts a cancer or something? He is better than a lot of the end of the bench players in the league. I bet he will be this years Gerald Green. Watched him score an efficient 50 for Eddie Najera(gets award for most fit coach) few weeks back and he is getting 30 almost every game I watch him. He isnt getting a cheap 30 either he looks much improved from his younger days.
    I always liked CDR.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    The demotion of DJ is not surprising. However, I believe that the problem of the bench lies on the tempo they are playing. DJ, Green, Tyler and Mahinmi can run fast for transition baskets. They aren't so dependable on half-court sets. I think they should be utilized using their strength of speed.

There's no harm in letting Ben play. It's not that much of a risk. but maybe with this promotion it will inspire Ben enough for him to be a dependable backup.
    I have to agree. The bench has been bad for a couple of years now, but no way they should be this bad. Tyler, as much as I hate him, should be decent. Green should be an above average bench guy along with Ian. DJ should at least be decent too.

I think coaching has been a huge issue all season. Vogel is getting exposed now that other teams have improved and are healthy. And he's taking a long time to make adjustments.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pezhan View Post
    If Ben is not good as DJ, maybe FV can try let DJ start.
    Let DJ has a better teammates, Hill goes to backup PG but has starting lineup minutes.
    We should give DJ more chances, don't give up him so quickly.
    Wait, so since DJ has struggled off the bench you would demote Hill from the starting lineup? That sort of takes the whole "it isn't his fault it's the people around him" thing to a brand new level.

Tell ya what, if you really strongly believe that, let's try subbing out Hill for DJ with the other starters still on the floor and see what happens. Not that I think it will change that much, but it's better than benching Hill for DJ's issues.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I always liked CDR.
    couldn't Green work out as a PF? He'd abuse PFs with his speed and hops. CDR could then be the backup 3.

CDR def has skills. He can score. The bench needs someone that can score. Seems like a good fit to me.

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by pezhan View Post
    Just wait and see. If Ben can't be better than DJ, we don't loss anything.
    If Ben is not good as DJ, maybe FV can try let DJ start.
    Let DJ has a better teammates, Hill goes to backup PG but has starting lineup minutes.
    We should give DJ more chances, don't give up him so quickly.
    There is a reason Hill is starting. The starting unit is one of the best defensive units in the league. Not to mention they can score.

The bench constantly blows leads and builds big deficits, which then puts even more pressure on the starting unit.

Hill is a starter in this league. DJ simply isn't and now he is looking like he shouldn't be in the NBA. I do think coaching is an issue and that Vogel isn't utilizing the guys on the bench correctly.

Now really free Lance!

Hope it's been more Ben impressing the coaching staff in practice than DJ's lack of production in the game. Excited to see what Ben can do tonight. Gotta be cool playing with your brother in the NBA, should be fun when there's a loose ball.
    Forever struggling to convince myself "In Larry we trust"
    Writer at NoseBleedSectionSports.com

No one on our bench seems to want to create for anyone other than themselves - in my opinion, that's their problem.

While I'm more than happy to see DJ demoted - because he seems like he'd rather be doing anything other than playing backup PG for the Pacers - I'm not sure Ben will necessarily fix that issue. He will at least bring the passion and effort - which fans always enjoy.
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mitchbr View Post
    Hope it's been more Ben impressing the coaching staff in practice than DJ's lack of production in the game.
    I think it's safe to say that is not the case.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I think it's safe to say that is not the case.
    Exactly. The only thing keeping DJ from being the worst signing of recent memory is the length of his contract.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TinManJoshua For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    On a side note, 2K13 needs to add Ben to the game.
    Now we are talking.

Quote Originally Posted by jcouts View Post
    No one on our bench seems to want to create for anyone other than themselves - in my opinion, that's their problem.

While I'm more than happy to see DJ demoted - because he seems like he'd rather be doing anything other than playing backup PG for the Pacers - I'm not sure Ben will necessarily fix that issue. He will at least bring the passion and effort - which fans always enjoy.
    That is why a lot of us are in favor of Lance being the backup point. Even though he doesn't really have the point mentality, or quickness on defense, he has the skills to be effective, and the willingness to create for others.

26% FG should get you fired from the NBA. In my over 20 years of watching basketball, I have never seen such an atrocious FG%. Wasn't benched soon enough
    David "And One" West

This. I just want to see the PG/ball handler get the ball to people while they are in a position to score. Lance can do that with passing/vision and his ability to get into the paint and pass out. DJ has done that very little for a 3.5 million dollar backup. 28 assists in 21 games is not very good numbers for a guy who is deemed a "pure point guard". As much a I like to see Tyler bang folks around, we need to get Pendy or Plumlee some floor time at the 4. 0 points and 1 rebound?Those 2 should be able to do that. Hans is playing good defense, but most of his defense work is going to cover DJ's man on PnRs and letting his man go free. DJ doesn't even attempt to switch on these plays.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I always liked CDR.
    Me too! He's averaging close to 28 points per game in the D-League too.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    26% FG should get you fired from the NBA. In my over 20 years of watching basketball, I have never seen such an atrocious FG%. Wasn't benched soon enough
    The bad thing about DJ is he's never been a good shooter or defender. Not in College or with the Bobcats. His rookie season so far has been his best but that was with Larry Brown coaching them. Even then they were rumored to be shopping him around the league. He's just not a good NBA player. I thought he would be better coming off the bench. DJ and Jordan Farmar have been two PGs that I seriously overrated coming out of college.
    Last edited by naptownmenace; 12-12-2012 at 04:25 PM.

Looks like DJ could be getting his job back.

A return for Augustin?

Vogel didn't put a timetable on it but gave the indication that D.J. Augustin could return to the backup point guard spot behind starter George Hill.

Augustin was demoted to third string behind rookie Ben Hansbrough last week after he struggled running the second unit's offense and shooting the ball (26.6 percent from the field).

Augustin, according to Vogel, has found his shooting stroke again.

"He hasn't missed a shot since he came out of the lineup," Vogel said. "Honest to God, (team President) Donnie Walsh and I were laughing about it the other night, noticing it.

"We've had three practices since (the demotion), and he's made every single 3-point shot and is playing with great energy on the defensive end. When he gets the opportunity, I think he'll do really well. He's a good player, he cares and he's a great person."

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

for what I recall tho, Frank said Green couldn't miss a 3 back in camp, I have yet to see that translate to the games...just sayin!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

I would love to get Luke from Minny. We would have to find that 3rd team that would want DJ... Maybe Dallas since things aren't working out there. Maybe Boston would be interested in DJ. It's sad that I have been waiting quite awhile for trade machine to allow FA's to be traded and now that they can be....I can't find a real taker for DJ, I know it's prolly me and not the fact that DJ has fell off the cliff, right?

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    Wouldn't bother me. Ben's been less bad than DJ was, but still replaceable.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I'd imagine that they benched him just long enough to light a fire under his butt. Now they will look to bring him back in long enough to showcase him for trades.

One thing I have really liked about Ben is his court awareness and his floor.general skills. Despite being a rookie and arguably the least talented player on the court. Be still QB that 2nd unit.

One thing that Ben struggls with is pressure up the court, but I think Lance could solve that problem when Danny gets back.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

28. The Following User Says Thank You to LetsTalkPacers84 For This Useful Post:

Ben while not great, played decent defense, while being no worse than DJ on offense. That is all I care about.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post: