Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 252

Thread: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

  1. #176
    Looking like a season JB24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    693

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Are you saying Josh would be an upgrade?
    He is, and always has been, a better basketball player than Tyler Hansbrough. However, the way Vogel's rotations work, i don't think he'd be of much use to our bench. I personally thought he was great in that stretch as a starter under O'Brien- he can definitely do a job when surrounded by more accomplished offensive players.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to JB24 For This Useful Post:


  3. #177
    billbradley
    Guest

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Over Tyler? Yes, he would be, but that's not even close to what I was saying.
    I was being sarcastic, I know your stance on Josh.

  4. #178
    billbradley
    Guest

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is, and always has been, a better basketball player than Tyler Hansbrough. However, the way Vogel's rotations work, i don't think he'd be of much use to our bench. I personally thought he was great in that stretch as a starter under O'Brien- he can definitely do a job when surrounded by more accomplished offensive players.
    Debating the better NBA player between Josh and Tyler is like debating the tallest midget.

  5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:


  6. #179
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,018

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Debating the better NBA player between Josh and Tyler is like debating the tallest midget.
    It is pretty clear who is better/taller, but they are both still role players/midgets.

  7. #180
    billbradley
    Guest

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    he can definitely do a job when surrounded by more accomplished offensive players.
    I missed this. Lakers?

  8. #181
    Looking like a season JB24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    693

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I missed this. Lakers?
    I meant this in the sense that he compliments decent offensive players well enough (Hansbrough, as we know by now, does not). Good passer, keeps the ball moving, decent off-ball movement and passable rebounding. However, his lack of scoring, bad shooting etc... wouldn't really upgrade an already offensively-inept bench. But then neither does hansbrough so...

  9. #182

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Debating the better NBA player between Josh and Tyler is like debating the tallest midget.


    LOL! I needed that laugh today.

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:


  11. #183
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,851
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who? I thought be got big while Melo (and Amare?) were out?
    Talking about the Lakers coach Dantoni

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pendergraph's chance should have come before we used a 1st round pick on a 24 year old rookie.

    At this point, despite what I think of him as player, Plumlee absolutely should get the nod ahead of Pendergraph.
    While the logic is sound I disagree(this logic is the reason Tyler has got so much burn and proved he cant play. You invest so much in a lottery pick you have to see him play is the thinking)

    We have more money invest in Pendagraph than Plumlee (Pendy at 3m last year and this year,Plumlee at closer to 2m counting not counting his option years)

    If he cant play like Tyler I dont want to waste minutes. I do agree I would rather him than Tyler ,but give Pendy a shot first he is in a contract year and healthy lets see if he can play like he did in college. Where he was an elite garbage man and good screener. He even had a jumper back then hell maybe it can come back. I just feel bad for the guy injury after injury.

    I mean Daniel Orton was drafted in a similar spot and sucked I would of been pissed (if I was a Magic fan) if they gave him minutes. Draft position only matters for so long. But I do agree he will get his chance just like Tyler did because he was a 1st rd pick. I just hope it happens after Pendy gets his.

    But I do agree with Plumlee's screen setting ability it's pretty good(mostly because he isnt a threat to score which he knows so he focuses on the screen) even if he doesn't like contact. Outside of screening Plumlee cant do anything else terrible awareness on both ends. Terrible PnR defense and help defense. I mean he does get easy rebounds but he rarely gets big boy rebounds that a guy of his size and "athletic ability" should. Pendy loves the contact which is why I think he is a really good screener also why he picks up a lot of fouls on screens.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  13. #184
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope it works, but I won't be surprised if it doesn't.
    How will you be able to tell if it doesn't work? Will the shooting, passing, offense and defense somehow get worse?

    I came "this" close to going up to Pritchard in GSW and talking to him about the surprising disappointment of Augustin (he was about 4 rows behind us).


    I liked Ben at ND and believe in his "gamer" intangibles at the PG spot. He's more Woody/JJack than physically gifted, but that can work if you are talking 2nd string, limited minutes and lower expectations. I feel like Ben has always shown an understanding of what is needed from him on the court in varied circumstances.

    At worst he'll be terrible on defense, ice cold on shooting and completely stifled whenever he tries to execute the most basic PnR, and he'll still cost less than DJ. How's that hurt?

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  15. #185
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't expect much from Ben, but Augustin has been beyond horrible so I doubt it can be much worse. I will probably never understand what is going on with Augustin, he's better than he's shown. Plus he's on a 1 year contract, so I just don't understand. I have seen Frank very frustrated a lot by Augustin's play.
    The contract year angle makes the uninspired play a lot more confounding. To me DJ literally looks stumped by the game, like the Vogel gameplan just confuses him. So many PnRs where he just gets trapped to the side with no ability to make a return pass to the roll/pop player and no ability to make effective penetration (ie, can get a shot or pass out of it).

    Hill should not be a better passer than DJ, but he has been.

    He's wrecking his own career. I feel bad seeing it happen because I don't dislike him and was really happy that he was signed. But in the end you've got to produce to win the fans and the PT.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  17. #186
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,018

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How will you be able to tell if it doesn't work? Will the shooting, passing, offense and defense somehow get worse?
    Good point, I didn't clarify that when I say i hope it works, it working means there is an improvement. If there is no noticeable difference then it didn't work. If Ben is able to just shoot 40%, or just play mediocre defense it has worked, while not turning the ball over.

  18. #187
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,851
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Who? I thought be got big while Melo (and Amare?) were out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How will you be able to tell if it doesn't work? Will the shooting, passing, offense and defense somehow get worse?

    I came "this" close to going up to Pritchard in GSW and talking to him about the surprising disappointment of Augustin (he was about 4 rows behind us).


    I liked Ben at ND and believe in his "gamer" intangibles at the PG spot. He's more Woody/JJack than physically gifted, but that can work if you are talking 2nd string, limited minutes and lower expectations. I feel like Ben has always shown an understanding of what is needed from him on the court in varied circumstances.

    At worst he'll be terrible on defense, ice cold on shooting and completely stifled whenever he tries to execute the most basic PnR, and he'll still cost less than DJ. How's that hurt?
    Thats likley what he will be IMO and if thats the case he will be cut. DJ is a sunk cost while Ben is not if he is at DJ's level which is likely IMO he is cut. Im guessing this move is coming from the FO just to decide weather to keep Ben or not which isnt a bad play at all with how bad DJ has been. If Ben surprises we have a cheap backup who is going to stay if he is about as bad as DJ (which is likely) he goes.

  19. #188
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    Someone has to score. Someone has to get assists.
    No they don't. You don't "have" to do anything at a productive level.

    Plus I love how the idea that you benefit from playing with a Jordan, Shaq, Bird or Magic suddenly goes right out the door when slamming a player with good numbers on a bad team (ie, not just accumlated points on volume with a terrible FG%).

    See, Jordan made the players around him better, made them have better numbers. But also playing with the anti-Jordans of the world make you better because you have to do it all for yourself.

    It's a contradiction that drifts into blatent stupidity. The logic is dreadful. Pick a freaking side, pick a view and stick with it. You get better numbers by playing on a bad team or by playing on a good team, but not both. It's classic conspiracy type of logic that twists to whatever opinion the person wants to support at the moment.

    Kobe goes out which means that random backup SG will start scoring 35 a night....you know, because SOMEONE has to get the those free numbers the NBA just hands out after the game. They just have a pre-set pool of stats to distribute as they see fit, you don't actually have to make baskets or take away rebounds against good players to earn them.

  20. #189
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Good point, I didn't clarify that when I say i hope it works, it working means there is an improvement. If there is no noticeable difference then it didn't work. If Ben is able to just shoot 40%, or just play mediocre defense it has worked, while not turning the ball over.
    I agree and this is my expectation. I think ball movement and general floor movement will be better because Ben has shown a great sense for that. I think he will pick his shots a bit better, or at least be able to execute some of the mids better, and thus will be able to keep a 43% range 2pt game. All of that should pan into a couple of assists. Not beauties with gifted touch or nasty xover shake and bakes, but DJ wasn't utilizing his own handles very well so that's a moot issue.

    Ben should be a bit more of a gamer on defense, especially off the initial PG attack, and should be able to slow people up enough to actually get some help there in time. Plus he'll have much better defensive awareness which should result in some helpful block outs or return pass coverage against the man who the helper had to leave (DJ just leaves the help defender out to dry often).


    If they could get Gerald more of the iso setups and let Young focus on floating for scraps and defense they should be able to step up some of the bench offense a bit.

  21. #190
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,292

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While the logic is sound I disagree(this logic is the reason Tyler has got so much burn and proved he cant play. You invest so much in a lottery pick you have to see him play is the thinking)

    We have more money invest in Pendagraph than Plumlee (Pendy at 3m last year and this year,Plumlee at closer to 2m counting not counting his option years)

    If he cant play like Tyler I dont want to waste minutes. I do agree I would rather him than Tyler ,but give Pendy a shot first he is in a contract year and healthy lets see if he can play like he did in college. Where he was an elite garbage man and good screener. He even had a jumper back then hell maybe it can come back. I just feel bad for the guy injury after injury.

    I mean Daniel Orton was drafted in a similar spot and sucked I would of been pissed (if I was a Magic fan) if they gave him minutes. Draft position only matters for so long. But I do agree he will get his chance just like Tyler did because he was a 1st rd pick. I just hope it happens after Pendy gets his.

    But I do agree with Plumlee's screen setting ability it's pretty good(mostly because he isnt a threat to score which he knows so he focuses on the screen) even if he doesn't like contact. Outside of screening Plumlee cant do anything else terrible awareness on both ends. Terrible PnR defense and help defense. I mean he does get easy rebounds but he rarely gets big boy rebounds that a guy of his size and "athletic ability" should. Pendy loves the contact which is why I think he is a really good screener also why he picks up a lot of fouls on screens.
    I'll trust your judgment on Pendergaph. I haven't seen anything out of him, admittedly in extremely limited time, but I don't expect much from Plumlee either. I'm just of the opinion that if you're going to use a 1st round pick on an older rookie, and they don't get much older than Plumlee, he better show you he can contribute sooner rather than later.

    Of course, I've seen Plumlee for 4 seasons of college ball with basically nothing showing he's ready to contribute.

    Just give one of them a shot. Either one. I don't care.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 12-11-2012 at 11:59 AM.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  23. #191
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,018

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    See, Jordan made the players around him better, made them have better numbers. But also playing with the anti-Jordans of the world make you better because you have to do it all for yourself.
    I think you are twisting the argument. Putting up better stats because you are the best player on a bad team doesn't mean you were better because of it. Instead it just means you were the only half-decent option on a team with few to no decent options. At the level of the NBA (which is extremely important to this argument), most players are good enough that if you build the offense around that player they can put up a decent amount of points or assists. The difference between those players and a player like Kobe, is their scoring is usually inefficient, and thus does not help the team to be much better.

  24. #192
    Member BobbyMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Homeless Traveler
    Posts
    1,170
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    While I agree that Augustin and Tyler have not done well this year and I'm ready to make a move to Ben and Pendergraf, I must say that both DJ and Tyler have always played better when getting more minutes. They both seem to have trouble getting into the rhythm of the game in the short time they are out there. However, I also don't believer that either of them are good enough to be starters in this league. It's strange how some players are better able to adjust to coming off the bench than others.

  25. #193
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can always count on Mack and Brush to show up when there's some Tyler bashing to be had.
    And me. And the results, ie stats.

    16% of Tylers DUNKS HAVE BEEN BLOCKED (per 82 games). Frontline bigs get almost none of their dunk attempts blocked. Tip backs, contested shots at the rim, etc, sure you'll see those sent back. But there's a reason Roy getting stuffed by W'brook made the highlight rounds. PFs are not supposed to get stuffed on power moves.

    And if there was a stat for most shots blocked literally right back down toward the floor, or within 45 degrees of straight down, Tyler would lead that stat as well.


    Tyler does one thing well - draws FTAs. And as the refs have grown used to his motion and style we've seen his offensive fouls and travels going upward and the foul calls starting to dip. Activity for activity's sake is not a skill. Activity needs to be paired with a purpose.



    Tyler and Ben are not the same player; they aren't even the PG and PF versions of each other. Ben succeeds in ways that Tyler does not. Ben shows much higher awareness, not as much always-on motor. Tyler has strength and decent lateral movement for a PF while Ben doesn't have any particular physical gift greater than the standard backup PG.

    But Ben's awareness at PG has greater value than Tyler's out of control (lack of purpose) banging at PF.



    And since the Josh battle is back raging, the P36 from this season (EDIT - these are CAREER NUMBERS, MY MISTAKE) suggests it's not that close. One is a quality backup PF, one is teetering on being out of the league.

    FG%/eFG%
    Tyler 42% / 42%
    Josh 51% / 54%
    Yet Tyler insists on taking 5 more shots every 36 minutes

    REB
    Tyler 8.3
    Josh 8.7

    AST
    Tyler 1.0
    Josh 3.0

    Blocks
    Tyler 0.3
    Josh 1.2

    STL
    Tyler 1.1
    Josh 1.0

    TOs/Fouls
    1.7 / 4.0
    1.8 / 4.0

    Tyler stands out soley on the extra 4 FTAs/FTMs per game. That's something, but it's not really what you want from a PF. And even with the extra FTs Tyler doesn't win the Points Per FGA battle - 1.24 TH, 1.26 JM


    And this doesn't even directly address the clear intangible advantage a team gets with a PF that can go backdoor for the oop if a team cheats him too much.


    New year and the stats keep telling the EXACT SAME STORY (edit - of course they do if you mistakenly use the career numbers, duh). And no, a guy getting 8.3 per 36 is not about to average a double double if he gets 32-36 minutes. The math says it's not close, and the idea that energy-based players in limited minutes will just keep producing the same level no matter is just flat-out wrong. Players get tired and their production p36 goes down, thus the idea of not extrapolating the output of an 8 mpg guy vs a 28 mpg guy. The Per36 is meant to compare guys with similar levels of PT, guys in the same ballpark and type of role.

    Now Blair, the guy pulling down 11.3 reb P36, he might average a double double. Or Gibson and his 9.5 p36. Heck, Booker is at 8.7 p36 and has a 53% FG. Booker and Blair even have height disadvantages and are doing this. Of course they all have the advantage of playing 20-23 mpg whereas Tyler is stuck at just 20 mpg (wait, what, I thought Frank was screwing him over).



    I hate this debate so much. I hate that it even has to be had, but clearly it still does (for the sake of upholding reality).

    I don't get how fans (not just Pacers fans) love Tyler's game and are meh about the likes of Trevor Booker. There are TONS of 20 mpg backup PFs that make a lot more shots and rebound more per minutes (without the help of their own misses no less).
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 12-11-2012 at 02:20 PM.

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  27. #194
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you are twisting the argument. Putting up better stats because you are the best player on a bad team doesn't mean you were better because of it. Instead it just means you were the only half-decent option on a team with few to no decent options. At the level of the NBA (which is extremely important to this argument), most players are good enough that if you build the offense around that player they can put up a decent amount of points or assists. The difference between those players and a player like Kobe, is their scoring is usually inefficient, and thus does not help the team to be much better.
    But if you can make a good FG% while being double teamed and having to do all the work isn't that harder than hitting open jumpers that Jordan sets you up for?


    You don't get 10 rebounds automatically just by being out there. If you have a team of 5 "mes" none of them are going to get 10 rebounds just because someone has to. All of the "mes" are going to get their a***** handed to them in every way. I might not shoot 20% and as a team we might not score 30 points, maybe not even 15.

    But if it's me with Bird, Magic and Jordan and all I have to do is wait for the open mid-range shot, suddenly I'm at 35% and maybe even scoring 8 a night.


    The only "accumulate" stat is Points because you can simply take every single shot and some of them are bound to go in even if they are halfcourt miracles. So to me Iverson was overrated because his point total was too much of a focal point while his poor FG% and dominance of the shots hurt his team. But he still had to do a bunch of that work on his own and it's likely that were he to play with Shaq in his prime that all his numbers would have improved simply by sharing the load.


    Think about DJ in Charlotte. Every trip you must do everything, you must get free of teams that double you all the time and try to get assists with guys that can make a jump shot. You must get rebounds even though guys aren't blocking out well and aren't strong at contesting rebounds in the first place. This is easier than having Foster bat at a ball that ends up bouncing out to you for the rebound off the floor?

  28. #195
    Member Derek2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    1,580
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

    Tyler does one thing well - draws FTAs. And as the refs have grown used to his motion and style we've seen his offensive fouls and travels going upward and the foul calls starting to dip. Activity for activity's sake is not a skill. Activity needs to be paired with a purpose.

    Tyler stands out soley on the extra 4 FTAs/FTMs per game. That's something, but it's not really what you want from a PF. And even with the extra FTs Tyler doesn't win the Points Per FGA battle - 1.24 TH, 1.26 JM
    Couple of thoughts:

    1-Damn, those stats. Didn't realize that a) Tyler was producing so inefficiently, and b) Josh is actually producing anything.

    2-The one thing that Tyler "solely" does is pretty important though. No one else on this team gets to the line with any kind of regularity, and it's always nice when Tyler comes in and mucks things up, forcing a team to crash down and foul.

    3-Your final sentence really shows why neither of these guys are very useful: awful PPFGA.

    Good post though. I like using facts to bring clarity to a debate. However, the nice thing about Tyler is that he really does spark this team (Case in point, the Washington game).

  29. #196
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,851
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And me. And the results, ie stats.

    16% of Tylers DUNKS HAVE BEEN BLOCKED (per 82 games). Frontline bigs get almost none of their dunk attempts blocked. Tip backs, contested shots at the rim, etc, sure you'll see those sent back. But there's a reason Roy getting stuffed by W'brook made the highlight rounds. PFs are not supposed to get stuffed on power moves.

    And if there was a stat for most shots blocked literally right back down toward the floor, or within 45 degrees of straight down, Tyler would lead that stat as well.


    Tyler does one thing well - draws FTAs. And as the refs have grown used to his motion and style we've seen his offensive fouls and travels going upward and the foul calls starting to dip. Activity for activity's sake is not a skill. Activity needs to be paired with a purpose.



    Tyler and Ben are not the same player; they aren't even the PG and PF versions of each other. Ben succeeds in ways that Tyler does not. Ben shows much higher awareness, not as much always-on motor. Tyler has strength and decent lateral movement for a PF while Ben doesn't have any particular physical gift greater than the standard backup PG.

    But Ben's awareness at PG has greater value than Tyler's out of control (lack of purpose) banging at PF.



    And since the Josh battle is back raging, the P36 from this season suggests it's not that close. One is a quality backup PF, one is teetering on being out of the league.

    FG%/eFG%
    Tyler 42% / 42%
    Josh 51% / 54%
    Yet Tyler insists on taking 5 more shots every 36 minutes

    REB
    Tyler 8.3
    Josh 8.7

    AST
    Tyler 1.0
    Josh 3.0

    Blocks
    Tyler 0.3
    Josh 1.2

    STL
    Tyler 1.1
    Josh 1.0

    TOs/Fouls
    1.7 / 4.0
    1.8 / 4.0

    Tyler stands out soley on the extra 4 FTAs/FTMs per game. That's something, but it's not really what you want from a PF. And even with the extra FTs Tyler doesn't win the Points Per FGA battle - 1.24 TH, 1.26 JM


    And this doesn't even directly address the clear intangible advantage a team gets with a PF that can go backdoor for the oop if a team cheats him too much.


    New year and the stats keep telling the EXACT SAME STORY. And no, a guy getting 8.3 per 36 is not about to average a double double if he gets 32-36 minutes. The math says it's not close, and the idea that energy-based players in limited minutes will just keep producing the same level no matter is just flat-out wrong. Players get tired and their production p36 goes down, thus the idea of not extrapolating the output of an 8 mpg guy vs a 28 mpg guy. The Per36 is meant to compare guys with similar levels of PT, guys in the same ballpark and type of role.

    Now Blair, the guy pulling down 11.3 reb P36, he might average a double double. Or Gibson and his 9.5 p36. Heck, Booker is at 8.7 p36 and has a 53% FG. Booker and Blair even have height disadvantages and are doing this. Of course they all have the advantage of playing 20-23 mpg whereas Tyler is stuck at just 20 mpg (wait, what, I thought Frank was screwing him over).



    I hate this debate so much. I hate that it even has to be had, but clearly it still does (for the sake of upholding reality).

    I don't get how fans (not just Pacers fans) love Tyler's game and are meh about the likes of Trevor Booker. There are TONS of 20 mpg backup PFs that make a lot more shots and rebound more per minutes (without the help of their own misses no less).
    The thing the likes of Booker Blair and Greg Smiths of the world do well is use there big body's so well. What drew me to love Greg Smith so much is that fact he can't be moved. Tyler just doesn't have the awareness or skill to make up for his frame. Plus most of the Greg Smith of the world or Sullingers have a back to the basket game(not a great one but a few moves to keep the defenders at bay) which Tyler does not. The biggest difference is skill and like you said awareness. If I am a defender I wouldn't want to be touched by a Greg Smith screen Tyler's scree wouldnt bother me. It's like he doesn't understand his role or accept it. Really all Tyler brings is energy which Booker and Smith do aswell it's just controlled energy which is what you want. Larry Bird is probably the best player I have watched film of playing with controlled energy. Larry would play hard as hell all game but you cant really tell by how under control he is.

    I hate when guys who play hard don't get the credit because they play so smooth compared to the likes of Tyler.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 12-11-2012 at 12:51 PM.

  30. #197
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,018

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    3-Your final sentence really shows why neither of these guys are very useful: awful PPFGA.
    West has a 1.21 PPFGA.

  31. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:


  32. #198
    Member BoomBaby33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    On The Westside
    Posts
    777
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pendergraph's chance should have come before we used a 1st round pick on a 24 year old rookie.

    At this point, despite what I think of him as player, Plumlee absolutely should get the nod ahead of Pendergraph.
    True on the first round pick, but Pendy had been either injured or stuck behind Hans and West.

  33. #199
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,610

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, McDud brings so much to the table that it didn't take the Lakers very long into the season for them to figure out they made a mistake and brought in Jordan Hill. He played ONE year for the Lakers and is now in Orlando where the rookie Andrew Nicholson is eating his lunch. Let's see, he has wore a Trailblazers, Pacers, Lakers, and now a Magic jersey. Who is next?There is more to BB than highlite reel dunks, fancy dribbling, and a nice pass here and there. If he had had a mid-range game and a back to the basket game he'd still be wearing a Pacers uni. He never developed a game, hence other players are more valuable than him.


    Let me preface what I just said saying I'm not a Tyler Hansbro fan either. I wasn't happy about Bird drafting Hansbro as I thought there were better players that could have been drafted. The Pacers needed a PG and Holiday and Lawson were available. I've never been impressed with Bird's drafting skills, but that is a discussion for another time.
    Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to say bring back Josh McRoberts but I just don't get your argument here.

    You're bashing him for being on several teams yet you are the first to clammor for Jarrett Jack who has been traded more times than he has in the same time frame. You can't bash one for an issue and just look the other way on the other.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  35. #200
    Member Derek2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    1,580
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    West has a 1.21 PPFGA.
    Should have clarified:

    In addition to all the other negatives, their PPFGA is very damning. It isn't like Tyler is really getting after it and shooting enough FT's to boost his numbers.

Similar Threads

  1. DJ Augustin to Indy?
    By Hypnotiq in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 297
    Last Post: 07-12-2012, 06:21 PM
  2. DJ Augustin
    By vnzla81 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-21-2010, 03:59 PM
  3. DJ Augustin at AS break
    By Thesterovic in forum Trade Proposals
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-07-2009, 06:41 PM
  4. Marbury demoted, will come off bench vs. Kings [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2007, 07:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •