Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just please tell me that Tyler is the 3rd backup and Plumlee is going to start getting his minutes. Please.
    One change at a time. If you do too much too quickly, you might do more harm than good, and might not get your best performance out of the change.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    Being a fanatic of all things Hansbrough, I am absolutely stoked right now! I've been clamoring for Ben since the draft right after he was Big East player of the year. I really think Tyler's biggest problem is he does not get enough minutes. Some would say he isn't getting minutes because he sucks, but our whole front court is struggling outside of West right now. He's the type of player that seems to get better the more he plays. Hopefully Ben can help remedy Tyler's play. Lance can get Hansbrough going. Hopefully Ben can. Augustin wasn't creating anything fr anyone. I think the whole second unit will benefit.

Seriously me and my friend have been rooting for Ben to make the team and then play all year. The fact that Lance starts, and both Hansbroughs will be playing together I am really fired up this year. Now if Frank stops being ridiculous and let's Lance close the damn games, then maybe we can creep above .500 and take the division back before Granger's return, and make a run for a championship. Seriously Lance not closing is just maddening. Green and Young don't hold a flame to Lance, and this is even proven just from watching the damn games.

I see Ben as maybe the only true point guard on the roster. I think he is good enough to be a factor in this league. He reminds me of Heinrich, just not as polished. I think Ben has that Hansbrough fire in him and can take over games like his brother. Tyler's problem is consistency. Hopefully his brother is the cure all and the both become consistent threats of our bench for years to come. I don't think either Hansbrough will be getting a big deal any time soon. They give you more bang for your Buck than Green or Ian. Ian has been okay but is still a risk with the amount and length of his contract, but he could work out. I just have no hope for Green at all.

Free Ben! Free Lance! Free Tyler!
    Everything about this, is just the best.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mike Wells ‏@MikeWellsNBA
    Vogel: "We’re going to make a change for the SHORT term and give Ben an opportunity."

To Augustin's credit, he handled the demotion well. No pointing fingers at others

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    Vogel: "We’re going to make a change for the SHORT term and give Ben an opportunity."

To Augustin's credit, he handled the demotion well. No pointing fingers at others
    glad to hear that
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Not really surprised, he didn't seem like that type of player.

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    glad to hear that
    Who was he going to blame? The rim? The ball? The lighting director?

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Mood

Kudos to Frank. He doesn't make adjustments fast enough to satisfy everyone but by god, he's not afraid to mix it up when something is clearly not working.

I don't have high hopes for little Hans in terms of overall performance, but I know he'll at least bring good energy. DJ seems like he is sleepwalking out there sometimes.

And if our bench was built for Hill to run point with them our front office is monumentally stupid, seeing as how we just overhauled the bench with the knowledge that Hill was going to be our starter. Not sure I buy that. Sometimes the pieces just don't fit right together.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I feel like some of the bench guys aren't being used well, particularly Gerald Green.

He's a solid scorer, but has barely had the ball in his hands to actually do anything. He's good off the dribble, which is something we wanted off the bench. He needs to drive more.

I also don't if lack of ball movement due to the PG played a big role in the lack of production from the bench.

I do agree, playing them all together is playing into the poor play as well.
    Yeah, Gerald really hasn't been THAT bad... He has been decent with the minutes he's been given. We haven't seen too many of those horrible passes we saw early on and doesn't try to do too much imo. I kinda wish he would dunk a little more, he hasn't dunked in forever it seems like... I just think there were some people who expected too much early on and also some who had it set in their mind that he was gonna be horrible from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    We are a sub .500 right now and Tyler isn't the problem. He's still our best offensive rebounder, our best at getting to the line and making them, and a decent defender when he isn't being blamed for playing next to stellar defenders like Green and DJ. Sure his offense has been MIA, but I think DJ has at least a small part in that. Point guards give their teammates easy looks, that is their primary job. I am hoping that Ben is the answer. Tyler is still my favorite player and I won't give up on him just because 90 percent of the board thinks he is a scrub because he is struggling.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Midcoasted For This Useful Post:

Well, this is now one off-season move that can unequivocally be deemed to be a massive failure, barring a major change in the last four months of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    Did DJ not turn down the offer Charlotte made?
    Well maybe so, but look how much better off they are without him, and look how much worse our bench is with him. Case closed. lol

B U T L E R..U a Bulldog!

The fact that we are turning to Ben Hansbrough for meaningful minutes is really distressing.

The fact that it is hard to argue is much, much worse.
    I'm sure Knick fans said the same thing about Lin.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacersalltheway10 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PGisthefuture View Post
    Yeah, Gerald really hasn't been THAT bad... He has been decent with the minutes he's been given. We haven't seen too many of those horrible passes we saw early on and doesn't try to do too much imo. I kinda wish he would dunk a little more, he hasn't dunked in forever it seems like... I just think there were some people who expected too much early on and also some who had it set in their mind that he was gonna be horrible from the start.
    For what he's worth, he's a good player. We brought him in to be a reserve for the next few years. He brings an offensive game we've been looking for off the bench.

His defense isn't horrible. There's been plenty of times where he's all over the shooter. His speed and overall athleticism helps him. I would love to see him strip the ball away more from ball handlers. He has the potential to do that.

He's still improving. To me, he's like a rookie as he entered a new beginning in his career.
    Last edited by Trophy; 12-10-2012 at 04:15 PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacersalltheway10 View Post
    I'm sure Knick fans said the same thing about Lin.
    I can't wait until the Bensanity craze catches the media by storm.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    Not that I don't think Augustin hasn't been horrible, but I don't think Ben Hansbrough is the answer. I would love to trade for Reggie Jackson.
    If Ben Hansbrough is the answer, you are asking the wrong question.

Which we are.

Should've signed Shaun Livingston.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotiq View Post
    I think they will keep Reggie i doubt OKC are gonna pay Maynor i would have no problems going after either of these two
    Maynor has had just as bad of a season as DJ.

4pts, 2 assts, 31% from the field, 33% from 3

I really hope we DON'T go after that guy

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

For what he's worth, he's a good player. We brought him in to be a reserve for the next few years. He brings an offensive game we've been looking for off the bench.

His defense isn't horrible. There's been plenty of times where he's all over the shooter. His speed and overall athleticism helps him. I would love to see him strip the ball away more from ball handlers. He has the potential to do that.

He's still improving. To me, he's like a rookie as he entered a new beginning in his career.
    I've thought Green has played fairly well in limited minutes the past few games. His athleticism and length is definitely a plus on the defensive side. I wish he'd attack a little more, but he's been shooting 3's fairly consistently this month. Last night he scored 2 pretty good baskets in the 4th, and played pretty good D on Martin.

Like I said, I actually think he could stand to be a little more aggressive. But he seems like he doesn't wanna step on anyone's toes

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

We are a sub .500 right now and Tyler isn't the problem. He's still our best offensive rebounder, our best at getting to the line and making them, and a decent defender when he isn't being blamed for playing next to stellar defenders like Green and DJ. Sure his offense has been MIA, but I think DJ has at least a small part in that. Point guards give their teammates easy looks, that is their primary job. I am hoping that Ben is the answer. Tyler is still my favorite player and I won't give up on him just because 90 percent of the board thinks he is a scrub because he is struggling.
    Tyler Hansbrough being a bad NBA basketball player is not a new development to this season.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

28. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

All this talk about how Ben "sucks" or how he is not the answer is more unfounded than my "he could be the answer" talk. No one has even seen the guy step on the court yet in a meaningful NBA game surrounded by NBA quality talent. My could be talk is not for certain. This certainty that he sucks is what bothers me. I know I'm not the only who likes to root for the underdog. Why not just try to have a little faith in our team? He made the team for a reason, and this is the exact reason why. Augustin has been horrid minus maybe 1 or 2 games all year. If Tyler has been one of the worst NBA players over the course of the season, then I don't even know which camp to put DJ in. He has been much worse at his position.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Midcoasted For This Useful Post:

haha Best offensive rebounder. It's easy to do that when you just get your own board off constant misses. Also, I say it every game, "it's not a basketball game till Tyler gets blocked". And he gets blocked virtually every game.

Tyler is terrible. He's only of value if he can hit that outside jumper and he's proven he can't do that. And Tyler's defense isn't good.

Plumlee please! At least Plumlee should be able to provide some defense, and he's supposed to be a good rebounder. Time to give the Jeff Foster clone a try.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

If Tyler has been one of the worst NBA players over the course of the season, then I don't even know which camp to put DJ in. He has been much worse at his position.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...sc=&offset=200

This is true. Augustin has been worse. Of the 234 players in the NBA who have played enough minutes per game to statistically qualify by the NBA's standards, Augustin is ranked 233rd in eFG%. Hansbrough is 227th.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Tyler Hansbrough being a bad NBA basketball player is not a new development to this season.
    Being bad at what? Offense? I can't think of one other area of his game I would consider "bad." Sure not great by any means, but more than adequate for a 15 mpg back-up. He has had some great games this year. I think his biggest problem is consistency.

I do not agree at all that Tyler is a bad NBA basketball player. I would say he is an inconsistent one and his minutes have been decreasing ever since he was a key player in the playoff push that turned our franchise around in Vogel's first year. I would rather have Tyler starting next to a 25/10/2 all star center, than the current version of Hibbert playing next to West if I had to chose one or the other. Tyler would be fine if he was surrounded by talent. Instead we have surrounded him with Lou and Barbosa and Dahntay and Augustin and Ian and Green and Young. Our whole bench has been putrid for 2 years, to single out Tyler and call him the worst in the NBA when other bench players have been worse is unfair in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...sc=&offset=200

This is true. Augustin has been worse. Of the 234 players in the NBA who have played enough minutes per game to statistically qualify by the NBA's standards, Augustin is ranked 233rd in eFG%. Hansbrough is 227th.
    But then you factor in all around play like defense and rebounding (Hansbrough) or assists (Augustin) and getting to the line and Tyler is a solid bench player. Not the best, but not near the bottom of the league. Augustin is still bottoms of the league all around, regardless of efg%.

Being bad at what? Offense? I can't think of one other area of his game I would consider "bad." Sure not great by any means, but more than adequate for a 15 mpg back-up. He has had some great games this year. I think his biggest problem is consistency.
    Name one.

But then you factor in all around play like defense and rebounding (Hansbrough) or assists (Augustin) and getting to the line and Tyler is a solid bench player. Not the best, but not near the bottom of the league. Augustin is still bottoms of the league all around, regardless of efg%.
    The 4 rebounds per game, and 4 assists total on the season (4!!!!!) factor into making him not near the bottom?