Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Augustin demoted to 3rd PG, Hansbrough new Backup

If Ben can knock down open 3's (and get the ball up the court against pressure defense) he will give us more than what DJ has.

If this doesn't work, then we definitely need to get creative and try to find a backup PG at the deadline.

Another option may be to wait until DG gets back, and have Lance be the backup "PG"--which really just means the guy who brings it up the court and handles the ball.

I'm surprised they don't just give Lance those minutes at the backup pg spot. Augustin was only playing about 10-12 min. Lance should be able to handle that.

I'd rather give Lance those minutes and have OJ play some backup sg minutes than have little Hans play backup pg.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The fact that we are turning to Ben Hansbrough for meaningful minutes is really distressing.

The fact that it is hard to argue is much, much worse.
    You just have to wonder if Pritchard is even trying to look for a new backup pg.

Now really free Lance!

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I have my doubts, but I'm really hoping Ben surprises us all and turns out to be a solid backup. If anything, I think he'll definitely look more interested and involved on the court.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not expecting much out of Ben, but it's definitely worth a shot.

There's some backup PGs out there whether it's by trade or as an offseason signing. Beno Udrih is a FA I can think of. Also, some young third string guys that could be gamble. One being, Reggie Jackson of the Thunder.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I'm surprised they don't just give Lance those minutes at the backup pg spot. Augustin was only playing about 10-12 min. Lance should be able to handle that.

I'd rather give Lance those minutes and have OJ play some backup sg minutes than have little Hans play backup pg.
    You wouldn't even need OJ as Green could easily take those minutes. The only difference would be Lance would consistently get starter minutes, while Green would consistently get 6th man minutes. Instead of Lance going back and forth between starter and 6th man minutes, and Green going back and forth between 6th man and 10th man minutes.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    On a side note, 2K13 needs to add Ben to the game.
    If they do he'll probably have some computerized face and look nothing like he does in real life. It's also likely he'll have like a 52 overall...

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Benched for Ben Hansbrough. In the words of Ryan Grigson, "Augustin is a leper."
    My God. I'd never heard that quote from Grigson until I Googled it after reading this. So perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Grigson, Colts GM
    I told him that you don't make it here, we're talking doomsday scenario for you, Darius. We're talking UFL. We're talking other leagues because if you don't make it with the Colts as a corner, you're gonna basically be a leper.
    http://www.stampedeblue.com/2012/11/...-the-colts-you

If Elway beats him out for GM of the year, it's going to be because not enough people have seen that.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Not that I don't think Augustin hasn't been horrible, but I don't think Ben Hansbrough is the answer. I would love to trade for Reggie Jackson.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    He doesn't fit this backup unit. At all. He never did.

The bench was designed for George Hill to run point. Augustin does not even come close to complimenting the talents of the bench. This was a bad move from the get-go, as was thinking Gerald Green could be relied upon for anything.

But I'm sure everyone will keep rationalizing what this team is doing this year, for some reason.

Last season's bench may have been designed for George Hill to run point, but I'm pretty sure everyone in the Pacers FO made it clear that George was gonna be the starting 1 from the start.

The thought was to have a more traditional PG (DJ) play with Green (good spot up shooter, good in transition) Lance (good in transition) Tyler and Ian (pick and pop bigs). Obviously DJ hasn't been the answer, but the plan wasn't half bad at all.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    I'm not expecting much out of Ben, but it's definitely worth a shot.

There's some backup PGs out there whether it's by trade or as an offseason signing. Beno Udrih is a FA I can think of. Also, some young third string guys that could be gamble. One being, Reggie Jackson of the Thunder.
    I really wouldn't mind trading for Reggie Jackson. His game actually kind of reminds me of Lance's. He's also in kind of the same boat as Eric Bledsoe. Both have shown flashes of nice talent, but are buried on the bench behind some pretty good point guards. He's also got decent size unlike our past few back up point guards...

I'm guessing OKC's front office knows what they have with Jackson and might want a little more than he's worth...

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PGisthefuture For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    He doesn't fit this backup unit. At all. He never did.

The bench was designed for George Hill to run point. Augustin does not even come close to complimenting the talents of the bench. This was a bad move from the get-go, as was thinking Gerald Green could be relied upon for anything.

But I'm sure everyone will keep rationalizing what this team is doing this year, for some reason.
    It was an extremely inexpensive mistake as such things go. No long albatross of a contract, not a particularly expensive year, if DJ plays anything in the range of how well he played last year he would have had some trade value even if he turned out not to fit.

Really, who expected him to implode so thoroughly? Even thinking of him as being on a horrible team last year one has to figure the job of a PG on such a team is hard - where do assists come from, or someone to take the scoring pressure off you, or any of the other things one would think lead to meaningless stat-stuffing.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

I don't feel like the bench was constructed at all. It's more of pieces being thrown together which is why it's such a jumbled mess. It doesn't help that Vogel thinks you have to play all 5 backups out there at once either...

Being a fanatic of all things Hansbrough, I am absolutely stoked right now! I've been clamoring for Ben since the draft right after he was Big East player of the year. I really think Tyler's biggest problem is he does not get enough minutes. Some would say he isn't getting minutes because he sucks, but our whole front court is struggling outside of West right now. He's the type of player that seems to get better the more he plays. Hopefully Ben can help remedy Tyler's play. Lance can get Hansbrough going. Hopefully Ben can. Augustin wasn't creating anything for anyone. I think the whole second unit will benefit.

Seriously me and my friend have been rooting for Ben to make the team and then play all year. The fact that Lance starts, and both Hansbroughs will be playing together I am really fired up this year. Now if Frank stops being ridiculous and let's Lance close the damn games, then maybe we can creep above .500 and take the division back before Granger's return, and make a run for a championship. Seriously Lance not closing is just maddening. Green and Young don't hold a flame to Lance, and this is even proven just from watching the damn games.

I see Ben as maybe the only true point guard on the roster. I think he is good enough to be a factor in this league. He reminds me of Heinrich, just not as polished. I think Ben has that Hansbrough fire in him and can take over games like his brother. Tyler's problem is consistency. Hopefully his brother is the cure all and they both become consistent threats on our bench for years to come. I don't think either Hansbrough will be getting a big deal any time soon. They give you more bang for your buck than Green or Ian. Ian has been okay but is still a risk with the amount and length of his contract, but he could work out. I just have no hope for Green at all.

Free Ben! Free Lance! Free Tyler!
    Last edited by Midcoasted; 12-10-2012 at 04:10 PM.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Midcoasted For This Useful Post:

this might be a little off topic - but I never understood why teams (including the Pacers) wouldnt rather have players like Terrence Williams and Flynn at the end of their bench instead of Ben Hansborough and Sam Young.

Thabeet was in the same boat as Williams and Flynn...he has now found a nice home in OKC as a back up.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    this might be a little off topic - but I never understood why teams (including the Pacers) wouldnt rather have players like Terrence Williams and Flynn at the end of their bench instead of Ben Hansborough and Sam Young.

Thabeet was in the same boat as Williams and Flynn...he has now found a nice home in OKC as a back up.
    I agree, although the fact that they both got cut from the Pistons is kinda weird and makes you wonder... Still think I would rather have Flynn, Sam Young has been decent for us though.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    I don't feel like the bench was constructed at all. It's more of pieces being thrown together which is why it's such a jumbled mess. It doesn't help that Vogel thinks you have to play all 5 backups out there at once either...
    This to me is the biggest issue. I don't get it. At all.

Sure, Augustin (and now Ben Hansbrough) sucks. Sure, Gerald Green has sucked. Sure, Sam Young isn't very good. Sure, Tyler Hansbrough has played like one of the worst players in the NBA. Sure, Ian Mahinmi has been somewhat disappointing. But playing them all together exacerbates their issues. And it is entirely unnecessary.

-Lance Stephenson

27. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    I really think Tyler's biggest problem is he does not get enough minutes.

-Lance Stephenson

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Good work frank

#FREEHANSBROUGH
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This to me is the biggest issue. I don't get it. At all.

Sure, Augustin (and now Ben Hansbrough) sucks. Sure, Gerald Green has sucked. Sure, Sam Young isn't very good. Sure, Tyler Hansbrough has played like one of the worst players in the NBA. Sure, Ian Mahinmi has been somewhat disappointing. But playing them all together exacerbates their issues. And it is entirely unnecessary.
    I feel like some of the bench guys aren't being used well, particularly Gerald Green.

He's a solid scorer, but has barely had the ball in his hands to actually do anything. He's good off the dribble, which is something we wanted off the bench. He needs to drive more.

I also don't if lack of ball movement due to the PG played a big role in the lack of production from the bench.

I do agree, playing them all together is playing into the poor play as well.
    Last edited by Trophy; 12-10-2012 at 03:56 PM.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    It was an extremely inexpensive mistake as such things go. No long albatross of a contract, not a particularly expensive year, if DJ plays anything in the range of how well he played last year he would have had some trade value even if he turned out not to fit.

Really, who expected him to implode so thoroughly? Even thinking of him as being on a horrible team last year one has to figure the job of a PG on such a team is hard - where do assists come from, or someone to take the scoring pressure off you, or any of the other things one would think lead to meaningless stat-stuffing.
    Well what I would say is that if you are picking up Jordan's scraps from Charlotte, then you are asking to get burned. I mean if Jordan didn't want to keep him, and they were one of the worst NBA teams ever, then this theoretically could have been easy to see coming. This may be his last NBA contract too. He has been that bad. Having good stats on that bad of a team loses all relevancy. Someone has to score. Someone has to get assists. Obviously they weren't doing that all too effectively or efficiently, and from how bad our bench has been this year, I would say that he was part of the problem, not a victim of it.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Midcoasted For This Useful Post:

owl

I'm all for Reggie Jackson. I really liked this guy when he came out in the draft. We've seen that the Pacers system simply does not work for pure pgs. Just look at TJ and DJ. All you really need from the backup point is to play some defense at the very least. Don't allow the other team's backup to look like an All-Star against you. Just hold the lead! Reggie is 6'3" with super long arms, and he can score. I think Reggie is def similar to a guy like Bledsoe.

Unless a miracle happens and the Pacers get Bledsoe.

Now really free Lance!

Just please tell me that Tyler is the 3rd backup and Plumlee is going to start getting his minutes. Please.

Now really free Lance!

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sparhawk For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midcoasted View Post
    Well what I would say is that if you are picking up Jordan's scraps from Charlotte, then you are asking to get burned. I mean if Jordan didn't want to keep him, and they were one of the worst NBA teams ever, then this theoretically could have been easy to see coming.
    Did DJ not turn down the offer Charlotte made?
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

39. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I'm all for Reggie Jackson. I really liked this guy when he came out in the draft. We've seen that the Pacers system simply does not work for pure pgs. Just look at TJ and DJ. All you really need from the backup point is to play some defense at very least. Don't allow the other team's backup to look like an All-Star against you. Just hold the lead! Reggie is 6'3" with super long arms, and he can score. I think Reggie is def similar to a guy like Bledsoe.

Unless a miracle happens and the Pacers get Bledsoe.
    I think they will keep Reggie i doubt OKC are gonna pay Maynor i would have no problems going after either of these two
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.