Thread: Ravens fire Cam Cameron promote Jim Caldwell

Default Ravens fire Cam Cameron promote Jim Caldwell

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...well/#comments

Ravens fire Cam Cameron, promote Jim Caldwell

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 10, 2012, 11:40 AM EST

AP
    That change we were expecting on the Ravensí coaching staff has arrived: Baltimore has fired offensive coordinator Cam Cameron and promoted Jim Caldwell to take his place.

A couple of hours after Dan Patrick first reported on his radio show that a change was coming in Baltimore, several reports emerged that Cameron had been fired. Cameron later confirmed to ABC 2 in Baltimore that the Ravens had let him go, while ESPNís Adam Schefter reported that quarterbacks coach Jim Caldwell had been installed as the new offensive coordinator.

Itís rare for a team thatís heading for the playoffs to make a major shakeup on its coaching staff with just three weeks to go in the regular season. But the Ravens, who started the season 9-2, apparently felt that they needed to make a change after back-to-back losses.

Cameron has been the Ravensí offensive coordinator since 2008, when he got the job following his one season as head coach of the Dolphins. Caldwell was hired as quarterbacks coach this year after being fired as head coach of the Colts.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ravens fire Cam Cameron promote Jim Caldwell

So, which is worse, having Cam as your OC, or being Cam and getting replaced by Caldwell? Tough call...

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

I don't know what the big deal is, we'll get to play them in the first round possibly
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

And imagine if we lost to a Caldwell led offense......

sort of a re-shuffle of incompetence?

It's shaping up that the Ravens are the most likely #4 seed and thus your most likely 1st round opponent (though a Peyton matchup would be juicier)
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Caldwell obviously made Peyton Manning become the QB he is today.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Hard for me to be critical of coach Caldwell because on a personal level he's a great guy. I had some family (Aunts and Uncles) come in from out of state one practice and was showing them around. Passed him as he was walking to his office, introduced them just for what I thought would be a second, and instead he stood around talked with them for about 15 minutes just shooten the *****. One thing other than the BP clan the coaches (all of them) had time to talk with people's family.

Side note: Kind of strange seeing Tom Moore on the sideline for the Titans. Actually Tom is one of the few coaches who didn't like to talk. Not that he was stuck up, but he was definitely an introvert as much as Marvin Harrison was. He was polite but spoke very little to anyone except Peyton, but there was one exception.... he loved to talk to my wife for some reason. He would set between practices outside on a hillside just kind of overlooking things to smoke his cigarette (not allowed inside the buidling) and anytime she came out to catch a practice he was an absolute gentlemen. I was always after her not to bother the coach but he's like "no she's fine, let her visit". The gruff unfriendly demeanor was not this guy at all.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

This is a good opportunity for Caldwell. He has an opportunity to prove he has some coaching skills without having Bill Polian micro-managing him.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is a good opportunity for Caldwell. He has an opportunity to prove he has some coaching skills without having Bill Polian micro-managing him.
    I think Caldwell is a good coach. He's just a position coach or coordionator, not a head coach.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    I think Caldwell is a good coach. He's just a position coach or coordionator, not a head coach.
    I generally agree. He shouldn't have gone from a quarterbacks coach to a head coach and then to a coordinator. He should have been a coordinator before ever being handed the keys to the head coaching job of an elite franchise. A quarterbacks coach simply doesn't do enough for the resume' to warrant being handed the keys to an NFL team, particularly when you have such a poor record as a college head coach. To get your first NFL head coaching gig, I think you have to show that either: 1) you have been a successful coordinator in the NFL, or 2) You have been a great college head coach at a reasonably-sized school. Caldwell did neither.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    Hard for me to be critical of coach Caldwell because on a personal level he's a great guy. I had some family (Aunts and Uncles) come in from out of state one practice and was showing them around. Passed him as he was walking to his office, introduced them just for what I thought would be a second, and instead he stood around talked with them for about 15 minutes just shooten the *****. One thing other than the BP clan the coaches (all of them) had time to talk with people's family.

Side note: Kind of strange seeing Tom Moore on the sideline for the Titans. Actually Tom is one of the few coaches who didn't like to talk. Not that he was stuck up, but he was definitely an introvert as much as Marvin Harrison was. He was polite but spoke very little to anyone except Peyton, but there was one exception.... he loved to talk to my wife for some reason. He would set between practices outside on a hillside just kind of overlooking things to smoke his cigarette (not allowed inside the buidling) and anytime she came out to catch a practice he was an absolute gentlemen. I was always after her not to bother the coach but he's like "no she's fine, let her visit". The gruff unfriendly demeanor was not this guy at all.
    Liked to talk to your wife? You better go whoop him!
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

They're offense is going to be better than it has been
    Smothered Chicken!

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Caldwell is so poor at clock management and play calling that even Jim O'Brien probably thinks this is a bad move.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    They're offense is going to be better than it has been
    For a handful of matches,yeah probably.Afterwards,I am not so sure.

Mood

I wonder whose fans would take it worse:
    If we lost to a Caldwell offense
    or
    If Baltimore loses to its old team led by their old coordinator
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Steagles For This Useful Post: