Thread: Ryan Grigson making NFL executive of the year statement

Hybrid View

Default Ryan Grigson making NFL executive of the year statement

look no further than the Cassius Vaughn trade, yea he is not a stud player, but we got him for Chris Gronkowski (yea most of you have no idea who this is). Not to mention the great draft picks, Jerrell Freeman signing, and the Donnie Avery signing, He has been a great pick up this off-season

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ryan Grigson making NFL executive of the year statement

I honestly don't see how it could be anyone else. I mean seriously. The Colts are currently playing with 35 players that weren't on the 53 man roster that went 2-14 last year. Seriously? That's turning over 66% of their roster! Crazy!

Look at that draft.

Outside of Luck, Fleener, Allen, Hilton, Ballard, and Brazil have all contributed.

Bringing Redding over with Pagano from Baltimore was also a move that worked out better than anyone thought. Vaughn, Butler and Vontae have all had their moments too.

Two of the late round picks are on the practice squad and another was picked up by Arizona after release.

What other GM had an offseason better than that? How could they?
    Last edited by travmil; 12-09-2012 at 11:55 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

What other GM had an offseason better than that? Now could they?
    I bet Elway gets it.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    I bet Elway gets it.
    For what? The Broncos won a playoff game last year. Are the Broncos better? Yeah. Are they 7+ games better? No.

For what? The Broncos won a playoff game last year. Are the Broncos better? Yeah. Are they 7+ games better? No.
    I agree that Grigs should probably get it. I'm just saying that you cannot underestimate effect that Manning will have on voting.

Sure the Broncos won a playoff game last year against a Steelers team that is clearly not what it used to be. Sometimes a crappy division winner can catch lightning in a bottle at home against a better opponent, a la Seahawks beating Saints two years ago. But no one took that Denver team seriously to go the AFC Championship game or Super Bowl. They got absolutely massacred by New England the next week. Now they are a legitimate Super Bowl threat. Didn't Elway also improve the defense?

Grigs should be at the top of any list with the moves he's made. But at the same time, I don't think that last year's team was a 2-14 team win per se. It just had 2-14 - caliber quarterbacks with Collins, Painter, and Orvlosky. It's just impossible to win more than a couple of games when you throw scrubs like that out there as starting quarterbacks for an NFL team. I don't care how good the other players are because you're simply not going to win games with Curtis Painter. Upgrading the quarterback position immediately met that we would be in contention to win several more games than last year. You put Luck on last year's team while changing nothing else and we are probably .500 (we played a first place schedule).

But yes, Grigs made excellent moves across the board and deserves credit.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-10-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I honestly don't see how it could be anyone else. I mean seriously. The Colts are currently playing with 35 players that weren't on the 53 man roster that went 2-14 last year. Seriously? That's turning over 66% of their roster! Crazy!

Look at that draft.

Outside of Luck, Fleener, Allen, Hilton, Ballard, and Brazil have all contributed.

Bringing Redding over with Pagano from Baltimore was also a move that worked out better than anyone thought. Vaughn, Butler and Vontae have all had their moments too.

Two of the late round picks are on the practice squad and another was picked up by Arizona after release.

What other GM had an offseason better than that? How could they?
    Funny, I just read an article stating the Colts only needed a decent QB because before the 2-14 team the Colts were stacked.

Not arguing either way, just funny

Sports Logo Sports Logo

You certainly have a point about Elway and i know you say Grigson should get it but here is my take: At the end of the day he got Peyton freaking Manning.One of the best QBs the NFL has ever seen.Grigson's case is slightly different.Yes he got the No 1 draft pick in Luck but that doesn't necessarily mean success.Still remains a rookie.Plus most of the other draft picks have been close to phenomenal success and have contributed vastly to our record so far.Just for the draft picks,it should go to Grigs and i think he'll get it just like Larry did last year.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

BTW, can anyone tell me what pieces we got back from Denver by trading Peyton to them?Made a search but didn't find anything

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    BTW, can anyone tell me what pieces we got back from Denver by trading Peyton to them?Made a search but didn't find anything

We didn't trade Peyton. We flat out cut him, which made him a free agent. He was free to sign with whatever team he wanted on whatever terms he wanted.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    We had to cut him or give him another $20 million bonus without knowing whether he'd ever play again.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I believe he will win the award. He's done an incredible job with what he has done
    Smothered Chicken!

Mood

Looks like Grigs did get it. There's no AP award for executive of the year, which I did not know, so The Sporting News award is considered the official award and is voted on by the NFL coaches and executives.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/po...r-grigson-hire

Monday, January 28, 2013
    Irsay deserves applause for Grigson hire
    By Paul Kuharsky

When Jim Irsay ousted Bill Polian and decided to start with a fresh face leading the front office as well as the offensive huddle, he took a serious risk.

Brusque as Polian was and despite missing on many of his player choices late in his term, he was a proven, high-caliber personnel chief and team architect.

Grigson
    But in Ryan Grigson, Irsay appears to have hit a home run.

For his first year of player acquisitions, Grigson is the NFL executive of the year for The Sporting News. The Associated Press awards -- that are regarded as the league’s official awards and will be unveiled Saturday night -- don’t include an executive of the year category. This award is regarded as the official one.

Grigson's first draft choice was hardly a difficult one with Andrew Luck. But he did well to also draft tight end Dwayne Allen, receiver T.Y. Hilton, running back Vick Ballard and receiver LaVon Brazill.

While the team jettisoned a slew of veterans, two he re-signed -- receiver Reggie Wayne and outside linebacker Robert Mathis -- had big years.

While swallowing more than $30 million in dead cap money, Grigson found a very solid inside linebacker from the CFL in Jerrell Freeman, boldly traded a second-round pick to Miami for cornerback Vontae Davis and found guys along the way like cornerback Darius Butler and returner Deji Karim who made significant contributions to an 11-5 team that improbably made the playoffs.

I think Grigson is a worthy winner.

John Schneider of the Seahawks had what probably qualified as an even better year. Schneider narrowly won an ESPN ballot I put together after the season ended.

Only coaches and executives voted for executive of the year for The Sporting News.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Not only does Grigson deserve it but I'd argue that Manning would arguably have hurt Elway as much or more than he helped from a PR standpoint. Now if Elway had done some monster trade to get Manning that would've been one thing.... but all he did was open the vault for a FA and made an already good team better. Denver lacked a QB of significance and by signing Manning he got one. But he signed Peyton Manning... It's not like he signed some CFL backup and and found the pieces that turned him into a star QB.

Now, if Manning would've gotten them to the AFC Championship game or the SB then maybe things look different. But he didn't.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    But he signed Peyton Manning...
    I think it was more of Manning choosing Denver than anything else. Elway did nothing more than say thanks.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    I think it was more of Manning choosing Denver than anything else. Elway did nothing more than say thanks.
    Yes but its not as if they were the only team after him: Tennessee and SF were the other choices..

Although I never thought he'd seriously consider Tennessee especially since Bud Adams is the owner.... his dad played for them and well it didn't end great either.

Elway did have to convince him to sign there. Regardless I'm glad Grigson won it sure we drafted Andrew Luck but its the other acquisitions that have paid off TY Hilton, Vick Ballard to name a few.

If not him I'd have gone for that Seattle dude who drafted Russell Wilson.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah but the Seattle dude had that excellent draft pick and that was it. Grigson on the other hand hand so many good picks...
    You **** up once, you lose two teeth

It's funny how this thread was started for the one awful move Grigson made.