Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What the heck is wrong with you people?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think they would prefer losing in the finals to never making it at all.

I wasn't happy losing to the spurs in 2005, but I consider the season on a whole as a success.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: What the heck is wrong with you people?

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Between 1983 and 2010, Utah had 2 losing seasons. Out of 27 possible years. They missed the playoffs only 3 times. They lost in the second round 8 times. They lost in the conference finals four times. They made it to the finals twice, though they didn't win.

They have never won the championship, but saying they have never done anything is stupid.
    They have done a lot more than the Pacers unless you go back to the ABA years..... ...

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    I think they would prefer losing in the finals to never making it at all.

I wasn't happy losing to the spurs in 2005, but I consider the season on a whole as a success.
    Well, your guys have rings. The NBA Pacers, a small market team, has only been to the finals one time and lost. It's not good enough IMO...but I'm glad others are satisfied...

The pistons aren't in a mega market either. They just worked the system a little better

You can't find me one move the pistons made over their title runs and tell me the Indianapolis market would have prevented the pacers from making that same move.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

The pistons aren't in a mega market either. They just worked the system a little better.
    True, but they are one notch up the food chain. Indy is a small market. Detroit, before it's core collapsed, was not.

Edit: BTW, I used to live in Milford and drove to work on the Lodge. I know all about Detroit.

Detroits core collapsed back in the early 70's. The pistons haven't played inside city limits in roughly 35 years.

Ironically, the pistons would be better off playing downtown now than they were in their glory years. If things go the way they are the will probably move out of the palace and back into detroit by the end of the decade.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-09-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    ...and were Pacer fans satisfied when they lost to the Lakers in the finals? The one year we made it?

I suppose if people are fine just making it to the playoffs each year, they will be satisfied. I wish my expectations were that low...
    I was satisfied after I got over the sting of watching my team fall. Which honestly didn't take long. That's why I appreciate an 82 game season - I enjoy the regular season as much as if not more than the playoffs.

Even players themselves don't agree with this, or they wouldn't take more money to go play with the doldrums of the league. The only players that can truly say "It's all about championships" are the players who are going to get the maximum allowable contract anywhere they go. Because they are so good, the money truly doesn't matter because they can get the same money anywhere.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    ...and were Pacer fans satisfied when they lost to the Lakers in the finals? The one year we made it?

I suppose if people are fine just making it to the playoffs each year, they will be satisfied. I wish my expectations were that low...
    My answer to the highlighted part would be a yes, people are still happy about that finals and they use it as the model for future success.

It matters to just about every player. Just because players go for the big payday early doesn't mean they never plan on going for the ring late.

Harden got his deserved big payday, but in 6-7 years he will want out if Houston never goes anywhere.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    My answer to the highlighted part would be a yes, people are still happy about that finals and they use it as the model for future success.
    The Lakers had Shaq there was no way for us to beat Shaq in his prime dude. No one in the league could stop Shaq there is a reason that Lakers team is one of the greatest of all time. It's not like the Pacers lost to an ok team. The Lakers had 2 first ballot HOFers and were a dynasty. That just happens they had way more talent there is nothing the FO or team could do about that.

Same could be said about Lebron no one can stop him. So if we get to the ECF that would be a success in this era. In the NBA there are only like 5 true game changers and unless they are on your team it's almost impossible to win.

That is why parity in the NBA is so hard to achieve really the only way it could be done is clone Lebron and put him on all the teams lol.

I'm not saying we cant win a title. But expecting us to beat superior teams isn't plausible competing with them and beating them in a 7 game series every once in a while is and the team did give LA a good fight. But I dont see this Pacers team have a ceiling close to that the early 2000s pacers were really good much better core than we have and I would of been satified with that team because they were legit contenders for a while. I dont think this team can be.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 12-09-2012 at 05:43 PM.

They could have beaten the lakers if shaq was the only guy that showed up. A 20 year old kobe ripped their guts out in game 4.

The 1998 bulls were a more beatable team than the 2000 lakers. Thats the one ECF the pacers lost that they really should have won.
    Last edited by Kstat; 12-09-2012 at 05:42 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

They could have beaten the lakers if shaq was the only guy that showed up. A 20 year old kobe ripped their guts out in game 4.

The 1998 bulls were a more beatable team than the 2000 lakers. Thats the one ECF the pacers lost that they really should have won.

1995 against Orlando was a blown opportunity too. We couldn't win a single game down there.

Yeah but those games were all shellackings. After the first quarter of game 1 Orlando owned that series at home. You can't objectively say Indiana had a chance when they couldn't even compete on the road.

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    Miami is less than half the size of Indianapolis.

Miami is the 8th largest metro area in the country with 5.6 million people. Indy is the 33rd with 1.7 mil. Indy is an absolutely tiny place in comparison to Miami. You could fit three Indys into Miami. Trivial city population limits don't tell you how big an area is.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-09-2012 at 06:15 PM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sollozzo For This Useful Post:

Yeah but those games were all shellackings. After the first quarter of game 1 Orlando owned that series at home. You can't objectively say Indiana had a chance when they couldn't even compete on the road.
    Not true:

Game 2 @ Orlando Arena, Orlando (May 25): Orlando 119, Indiana 114

Game 5 @ Orlando Arena, Orlando (May 31): Orlando 108, Indiana 106

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_NBA_Playoffs

We had three blown opportunities in Orlando, particularly in game 5. The series was tied at 2-2 and we lost that game by two points. If we win that, then we are up 3-2 headed back to Indy. By any objective measure, we had a chance to win that series, though it's hard to feel too sorry for the Pacers since they were absolutely blown out in game 7. But of the four losses in Orlando, game 7 was the only one where the Magic blew the Pacers out. We couldn't win one of the close games.
    Last edited by Sollozzo; 12-09-2012 at 06:17 PM.

The finals of those games looked closer than they really were. Orlando had control of those games and the pacers made the scores more respectable late.

The finals of those games looked closer than they really were. Orlando had control of those games and the pacers made the scores more respectable late.
    The Pacers were only down by 8 points at halftime of game 5. They were down by 11 at the start of the fourth quarter. An 11 point lead with an entire quarter remaining is nothing in playoff basketball, as is evidenced by the fact that we only lost by 2. We made the game close in the fourth quarter and had the opportunity to win. It was pretty much the epitome of a missed opportunity.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Miami is the 8th largest metro area in the country with 5.6 million people. Indy is the 33rd with 1.7 mil. Indy is an absolutely tiny place in comparison to Miami. You could fit three Indys into Miami. Trivial city population limits don't tell you how big an area is.
    I believe I've already talked about how that correction doesn't actually impact the actual purpose of that post.

I have never watched those games, but looking at the box scores that doesn't seem to be the case for either of the games. Game 2 the Pacers had a lopsided first quarter, then slowly made up ground over the entire game. Game 5 was a 2 point margin; however you look at it, that's not "making the game respectable." Had they made a 3 pointer, that would have been a dramatic comeback. 48 minutes to a game, and they all count.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Im not sure where you are getting this info from, its incorrect. As far as square miles is concerned Indy is a larger city by a very wide margin.

Quote Originally Posted by ReginaldWayne View Post
    Im not sure where you are getting this info from, its incorrect. As far as square miles is concerned Indy is a larger city by a very wide margin.
    I met population-wise. I was just trying to point out that the Miami metro area is 3 times larger when it comes to population. I wasn't talking about land area.

I met population-wise. I was just trying to point out that the Miami metro area is 3 times larger when it comes to population. I wasn't talking about land area.
    If it were land area, OKC would be the biggest market in the country. Hmmm. They do have a great team...;<)

People are negative because the product isn't very good this season and the moves in the post-season have not worked out so well thus far. And people like to talk about the team using words like "We" and "us" and "our" as if they are on the team or part owners or something. But, the bottom line is, the product isn't great. I don't care if they ever win a championship, but I want a good entertainment product for my money.

As an aside, if you think the board is too negative then go away. This is a forum for fans to express their thoughts (for some of us, *feelings*) about the team. So long as people aren't playing the OlBlu role, they can say whatever they want to. There are people here who have legit criticisms and they're entitled to express those. But you're not required to participate on this forum, so don't feel obligated to stick around.
    Last edited by Banta; 12-09-2012 at 09:07 PM. Reason: typ-oh

Quote Originally Posted by Banta View Post
    As an aside, if you think the board is too negative then go away.
    Or, he could express his opinion...

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rabid For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan View Post
    Or, he could express his opinion...
    Yes, of course, if he has one that is germane to our theme. However, I don't consider "I don't understand people on here, why are you so negative? " to be a constructive part of the discussion of the Indiana Pacers. What's the point complaining about dirty diapers if you're going to keep on having babies?

Quote Originally Posted by Banta View Post
    Yes, of course, if he has one that is germane to our theme. However, I don't consider "I don't understand people on here, why are you so negative? " to be a constructive part of the discussion of the Indiana Pacers. What's the point complaining about dirty diapers if you're going to keep on having babies?
    Wouldn't the same thing apply to your comments about this thread? No one is forcing you to read this thread or comment in it lol.

See what I'm saying? Best to just let people say what they are gonna say, and choose to respond or to not respond. Getting into a whole "why are you even posting this" thing doesn't really get us anywhere...