Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should the Pacers give Ben Hansbrough a shot?

Default Should the Pacers give Ben Hansbrough a shot?

D.J. Augustin or Ben Hansbrough? I say bench D.J. for one game then bring him back the next and see if he is motivated now. Unless Ben plays like Chris Paul

Default Re: Should the Pacers give Ben Hansbrough a shot?

No, Ben is a nice guy. Makes an OK 3rd PG. But he's a train wreck waiting to happen. IMO, he's not able to handle the ball well enough to play except in an emergency. He might shoot better than DJ, but that's about it.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

I say we bench Sam Young and put in Orlando Johnson, OJ can score the ball, Young plays good D, but he acts like Ray Allen and hits an occasional 3. OJ can score so lets see if he can put some points up

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueCollarColts For This Useful Post:

Yes to Ben
    No to Orlando. Young has been very good for us.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LetsTalkPacers84 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueCollarColts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    D.J. Augustin or Ben Hansbrough? I say bench D.J. for one game then bring him back the next and see if he is motivated now. Unless Ben plays like Chris Paul
    It's an interesting question. Can/will Ben run a simple PrR with Mahinmi? Can/will he run a PnP with Tyler or West or Green. It's pretty clear that OJA can't.won't. Can Ben hit an open shot when his man sags onto IM? Do the pratice sessions the teams has show OJA to be a better point than Lance or Ben? If so, what happens when we play real games instead of practice? It boggles my mind to watch the 2nd unit play now.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes it is time to see what ben hans has otherwise have a look at the free agent PG's that are left all will sign for the min

i would have a very hard long look at Mike Bibby if i was pritchard he can still shoot the ball quite well
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

No thank you. Get another PG not currently on the roster. BHans is not ready from prime time. Nor is Agustin apparently.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

The Kings are said to be thinking of trading Fredette or I. Thomas because of available minutes. Could we have anyone they might be interested in and would we want to try either of those guys?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Cousy47 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Cousy47 View Post
    The Kings are said to be thinking of trading Fredette or I. Thomas because of available minutes. Could we have anyone they might be interested in and would we want to try either of those guys?
    i haven't paid attention to jimmer- is he a point? if not- then he isn't going to help much.
    we need a backup point and dja isn't coming remotely close to getting it done. i say why not give ben a go?
    if he really is much worse than dja- i say let him prove it. dja has had his chances and in almost every game he appears in- he lays an egg.
    i am in the crowd that says let ben have a shot.

If we don't use Ben now, then what's the point of having him? Can't hurt to give him a shot before waiving him to spend more money on a FA, or making a knee jerk trade for a backup pg with assets we don't have.
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LetsTalkPacers84 For This Useful Post:

Could you imagine Ben and Tyler playing together? That's a ton of energy feeding off one another. Not too mention Lance. I could see it.

@LetsTalkPacers

Sports Logo

Definitely. I don't expect it to work. But Augustin's been terrible, Vogel's got to at least try Little Hans.

And get him another option Walsh. Hell, anybody.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

@ScottAgness think we see Ben with these adjustments? -- (@LetsTalkPacers)

@LetsTalkPacers I doubt it. I don’t see coach making drastic moves. Instead, he’ll work to improve current bunch. -- (@ScottAgness)

@LetsTalkPacers

ANYBODY would be better than what Augustine has been.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Give Ben 2 games, and see how he does. If he implodes go back to DJ, and look to finding other PGs. If he does similar to DJ keep playing him hoping he will adjust to the speed, and play better. If he plays better. well keep playing him.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PD GameBattles 2k13 View Post
    @ScottAgness think we see Ben with these adjustments? -- (@LetsTalkPacers)

@LetsTalkPacers I doubt it. I don’t see coach making drastic moves. Instead, he’ll work to improve current bunch. -- (@ScottAgness)
    and this is why so many fans get frustated with coaches because they want to be stubborn as hell and make sure it works.
    Counting down the days untill DJ Augustin's contract expires.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Hypnotiq For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Well's mentioned that giving Ben a chance might light a fire under DJ. I'm all for giving the guy a shot and if it also happens to snap DJ out of whatever is going on then that is even better.

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    No, Ben is a nice guy. Makes an OK 3rd PG. But he's a train wreck waiting to happen. IMO, he's not able to handle the ball well enough to play except in an emergency. He might shoot better than DJ, but that's about it.
    Hmm, I find this comment interesting. DJ has been about the worst Pacer I've ever seen play over the first 20 games. Hard to imagine Ben as a bigger train wreck.
    Danger Zone

Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    Hmm, I find this comment interesting. DJ has been about the worst Pacer I've ever seen play over the first 20 games. Hard to imagine Ben as a bigger train wreck.
    BH will struggle to bring the ball across the half court line on every possession. People here were mad at Sarunas for that, so I guess they didn't see how BH looked in pre-season and that one regular season game. He's not NBA material, to be honest. Say what you want about Augustin, but he isn't turning the ball over. He's just shooting horribly, mainly because 67% of his shots are from behind the arc.

And people are saying OJ can shoot? I mean, I heard that before he was drafted, but since then he's been building cities with bricks.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    And people are saying OJ can shoot? I mean, I heard that before he was drafted, but since then he's been building cities with bricks.
    Cities? I think you mean countries.

If Ben would be a better half court PG, then yes, I'm ready to give it a try. I understand there appears to be serious concerns about him handling full court pressure, but I feel like that can typically be adjusted to by leaving Sam Young near by to trot in front of him as a psuedo-screen (something we used to have Dale do for Mark back in the day at times, not that he often needed it) or to deliberately screen if necessary. Sam's big/strong enough to do it so we don't have to keep a big man in the backcourt unnecessarily. Just a thought.

And I know he's nuts, but man I'm tempted to ask about Delonte West. Probably a bad idea, but that's how bad DJ's been.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

OJ can shoot, lit it up in DL a couple weeks ago. He showed he could shoot, so obviously most of it is mental and adjusting. Plus, I know as a shooter that conditioning and being able to pace is a huge part, shots will be inconsistent if you don't pace them right. All the hype about his shot is true, just that he needs to be ready for NBA basketball.

OT - I play basketball in highschool, it's honestly not as easy as it looks guys. Every NBA player torched highschool and were the star of their teams in college. It's not like they can make it if they suck. I honestly believe that some people are insane on here. Basketball is a sport, a game if you will. You absolutely cannot go out and expect a guy who just hopped into a different role to be good.

DJA is a PG, yes. But PG in CHA and PG in IND are two completely different things. Different flow, teammates, coach, system, plays. Yes, he might adjust to the changes, yeah he could fit in, but I'm just saying guys, you cannot say he was good in CHA so he'll be good here. That's two different things. You can put a Bugatti Veyron and a Lamborghini next to each other, but you can't interchange them, they're two different cars.

Mood

I'm in favor of playing Orlando.

Sent from #PacerNation using Tapatalk
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    "Ego is edging greatness out" -Rick Pitino
    Freshman at the University of Louisville
    Greenfield-Central High School Alum '14
    Follow me on Twitter @jwy49
    1000th post - 4/16/12 2000th post - 6/24/12 3000th post - 3/8/13

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pumpk35 View Post
    You can put a Bugatti Veyron and a Lamborghini next to each other, but you can't interchange them, they're two different cars.
    I can assure you that you are wrong. You can park them on the street in front of my house for all to see. Then you can put either one in my garage and I can assure you that I will be equally happy with either. See, for me they are completely interchangeable.

Just sayin'.