Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Struggling Pacer Roy Hibbert expects to live up to $58M deal, surpass Dwight Howard as top center

Banned

Default Struggling Pacer Roy Hibbert expects to live up to $58M deal, surpass Dwight Howard as top center

Struggling Pacer Roy Hibbert expects to live up to $58M deal, surpass Dwight Howard as top center

Indiana's Roy Hibbert isn't averaging double-digits in points but is being paid double digits in millions of dollars this season. Even so, the regressing former All-Star center is confident he will eventually be the NBA's best at his position.
    "People said I wouldn't be in the NBA," said Hibbert, the highest-paid Pacer at $13.8 million this season. "People said I wouldn't be a starting center, this, that and the other. I just prove people wrong. I'm having a slump right now, but in the grand scheme of things I'm going to turn it around and hopefully be the best when it's all said and done."
    Roy Hibbert got a big extension this past summer with the Pacers. (AP)
    Hibbert aims to top Dwight Howard as the widely accepted best center in the NBA. A fake Hibbert Instagram account took a shot at Howard recently and gained some traction on the Internet before it was debunked – "I'm the best center in the league #[expletive]Dwight" it read.
    "That wasn't me, but I will be the best center in the league one day," Hibbert said.
    The Pacer's big man has some work to do. Through 20 games, Hibbert is averaging 9.8 points and 8.4 rebounds a game. He's currently at career-lows in field-goal percentage (38) and free-throw percentage (62). It's a far cry from last season's start, when he averaged 13.8 points and 9.6 rebounds in his first 33 games, numbers good enough to earn his first All-Star appearance as an Eastern Conference reserve.
    After leaving All-Star weekend in Orlando, Hibbert has gone backward offensively and earning a big new contract this past summer – $58 million over four years – hasn't helped improve his game.
    [Related: Is honeymoon already over for Michael Beasley and Suns?]
    "The contract? I really haven't thought about it," Hibbert said. "My life really hasn't changed that much since the contract happened."
    What has changed on the court for Hibbert is the way teams are guarding him. Every game, Pacers coach Frank Vogel calls an offensive play for Hibbert early in an attempt to get him going. Vogel said Hibbert is a target now because he was an All-Star last season. Also, the absence of Pacers forward Danny Granger (knee injury) allows defenses to double-team Hibbert easier in the post.
    Hibbert says the inconsistent Pacers (10-10) are also "getting every team's best" after advancing to the Eastern semifinals last season for the first time since 2005.
    "He's playing with physicality," Vogel said. "His shots are going in and out. We believe they are going to come."
    To improve mentally, he continues to see a sports psychologist for help in his quest to being an elite NBA center. He has been seeing Indiana-based sports psychologist Chris Carr since 2008, his rookie season. Hibbert tries to see Carr weekly and sometimes after home games. He has learned meditating exercises that he uses pre-game to get ready.
    [Related: David Stern wants to stamp out 'Hack-a-Shaq']
    Hibbert also has been keeping a daily basketball journal since the start of the year to give him reminders of past game plans, and what has gone right and wrong. Citing Lakers forward Metta World Peace, Hibbert says using a psychologist should be embraced.
    "Physically everything is there," Hibbert said. "I just got to get over some stuff. It's more mental with me than anything. I'm getting to the [floor] spots I want to get to, but the shots aren't dropping that usually drop. It's taking a little longer than I expected, but I still talk to him and it's been working."
    Marc J. Spears ‏@SpearsNBAYahoo
    Y! Sports story: What struggling NBA center not named Dwight Howard said he will be the league's best center one day? http://yhoo.it/SGwCuM
    Last edited by vnzla81; 12-08-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Struggling Pacer Roy Hibbert expects to live up to $58M deal, surpass Dwight Howard as top center

I don't want to hear it. I want to see it.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

We didn't sign Roy to that max deal to be better than Dwight Howard or to be our top scoring option, we signed him to that money to be our 7'2 defensive center. That's exactly what he's doing he's blocking shots and defending better than ever, so I don't get this "he's not living up to his contract stuff"

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HalaSon33 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Struggling Pacer Roy Hibbert expects to live up to $58M deal, surpass Dwight Howard as top center

20 game shooting slump. Guy had a nice mid - range shot and was a solid FT shooter for a big man when he got here. At that point, how does that stuff just plummet so much? I mean, once it's fundamental, it's really hard to regress as a shooter that much.

I like Roy & I recognize he's still playing hard. He's certainly playing outstanding as far as protecting the rim. But reading something like this doesn't instill much confidence in me that he'll really be able to replicate and/or maintain the pre - ASB quality from last year. Strikes me as a great b/u center or a nice defensive center on a good team as 5th option offensively.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by HalaSon33 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We didn't sign Roy to that max deal to be better than Dwight Howard or to be our top scoring option, we signed him to that money to be our 7'2 defensive center. That's exactly what he's doing he's blocking shots and defending better than ever, so I don't get this "he's not living up to his contract stuff"
    The only thing I 'demand' of him is to raise his FG%. I don't expect his volume of shots to go up or his PPG to become above maybe 15 or 16 per game tops. Just hit as many of your attempts as a respectable NBA center ought to make, keep up the good work on defense, and I'm satisfied with who he is at that point.

8. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Really? Roy is shooting 38% on the year. That's unacceptable for any NBA player, let alone a center, let alone one who was a All Star last year.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Pingu For This Useful Post:

Sorry, but Hibbert wasn't paid a max contract for "D" only! He got paid a MAX contract to PRODUCE like the Allstar he was last year.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Less talk, more smashmouth.

He should be more concerned about not being the worst offensive center in the league.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Does it suck that its gotten to this point? Absolutely.

However, I love that he is still in the mindset of wanting to get better. You see a lot of guys fail to live up to contracts and continue to make excuses. At least he isn't doing that. He is manning up and saying that he will get it together. Of course seeing it is better than saying it, but the fact is I love that he still has a good attitude and will to get better.

16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So because he is openly acknowledging struggles and showing a passionate desire to work through them we get mad at Roy and simply demand to SEE results and not hear him talk about it anymore?

I know he has struggled, and it's had a negative impact on the team, but come on guys!

He very obviously cares about what us fans think of him and his game, anyone who follows him on Twitter knows this.

It's pretty rare in sports for a player to have such open and honest discourse with fans as Roy does.

He's had a rough start to the year offensively, but you all forget that he is a top DPOY candidate despite all that.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    This. Shut up and play basketball Roy. You could learn a thing or two from a man named David West.

He's going for three... mikeyism's Avatar

Why couldn't Roy shot 40% one year earlier? That way, we could have quietly resigned him for 3-5M/yr and we wouldn't be having this conversation.
    Last edited by mikeyism; 12-08-2012 at 04:56 PM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikeyism For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    So because he is openly acknowledging struggles and showing a passionate desire to work through them we get mad at Roy and simply demand to SEE results and not hear him talk about it anymore?

I know he has struggled, and it's had a negative impact on the team, but come on guys!

He very obviously cares about what us fans think of him and his game, anyone who follows him on Twitter knows this.

It's pretty rare in sports for a player to have such open and honest discourse with fans as Roy does.

He's had a rough start to the year offensively, but you all forget that he is a top DPOY candidate despite all that.
    I'm not mad. I like Roy a lot and am still rooting for him. I've been reminding people about his great D in game threads when the "Roy is garbage," talk starts. I want him to think positively. I like that he's acknowledging his difficulties. It's just that the part about being the very best in the league pushes my JO "I'm gonna dominate this year," button. Makes me a little nervous, and I am not sure I want him putting *that* much pressure on himself. All we really need is what he is doing now, plus shooting in the 45-55% range.

I'm not saying this is like JO - Roy's slump hasn't been long enough to start talking like that. It's just that I remember when JO started to go downhill, we heard this kind of talk from him too, and in the beginning it sounded like a positive "will to win/drive to get better" kind of thing. Roy's focus needs to be a lot less broad right now - like fundamental footwork moving toward the basket so that he's not taking so many off balance shots. Speaking of which, what I wouldn't do to get Patrick Ewing on our staff just for him to work with Hibbert. Both awkward big men, both Georgetown alums - and Ewing knew how to score, that's for sure.
    Last edited by gummy; 12-09-2012 at 01:12 AM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Reminds me of Jermaine O'Neal. The great players don't have to talk about being great. They "just do it".

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Riiight. Lets focus on making open layups first champ

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pace Maker For This Useful Post:

I just don't get how he misses so many 2 and 3 foot hook shots. This is an NBA player we are talking about. If it were me I would be in the gym 5 hours a day until they became automatic.

Or he could learn to dunk. 3 feet out, he's 7'2" that should be a powerful man dunk every time.

Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    yep- me too. he needs to let his actions do the talking in this case- not his mouth.
    as someone else mentioned, when he gets the offensive rebounds- i want him to kick it out unless he is close and has his balance to go up for a jam. i am tired of the hurried, wimpy, off balance lob/chuck shots that miss 75% of the time.

It would be one thing if Roy were seeking out interviews specifically just to talk about this stuff.

Of course, I don't know definitively, but these comments were likely made because the interviewer brought up the topic.

I just don't think it's fair to get on Roy's case because he is honest and blunt when interviewed.

He knows he is playing bad. He knows he can be one of the best in the league. He is trying to get there.

What is he supposed to say to the interviewer when they ask about his struggles? "No comment, next question" ?

We all know Roy is a very likable and personable guy. He talks to fans on Twitter about his game for goodness sake. He's never been the type to fluff an interview or shy away from questions. I think that's all this is.

Very different from JO's quotes. And I say that as one of the few folks here who still really loves JO and misses him.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

32. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

I know he does need to learn to get it back up without bring the ball down to waist level all the time. That's when he gets it stripped. If you are over 7 foot tall you shouldn't have to gather yourself before throwing it down.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    I just don't get how he misses so many 2 and 3 foot hook shots. This is an NBA player we are talking about. If it were me I would be in the gym 5 hours a day until they became automatic.
    I agree! That is what he should be doing!!!

I don't see anything wrong with him making it his goal to be the best center in the NBA. It's a very high goal, but it's not unattainable for him. For a guy who has no problem putting in extra work, having a goal set that high is a good thing because to attain it he's going to have to keep putting in that work throughout his career.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Congratulations to Roy for continuing to try to break through the mental blocks that must be in his path.

At the same time, shame on the Pacers for not providing Roy with more help in the form of a big man coach who could teach him the fundamentals and tools necessary to establish a more powerful base in the low post, as well as encouraging him to get a little beefier so that guys with lower centers of gravity could no longer push him away from the basket and affect his shots with incidental contact down low.

Roy wants to get better for both himself and us as fans, as well as to feel like he is earning his contract. I wish him nothing but the best in his struggles to do just that.

38. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    The guys playing defense get paid too (maybe not as much as Roy, but paid nonetheless) and are NBA players as well.

As for being in the gym, Roy is by all accounts a pretty hard worker so I doubt lack of practice has anything to do with it.

Boylan is a big man coach. Roy has already molded his body to where most of the time people cannot push him off his spot, either. The dude is just awkward. And he gets impatient. And he mentally gets down easily.