Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We need to talk about Augustin

Default Re: We need to talk about Augustin

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This myth that Charlotte didn't want him back needs to end, Charlotte offered him an extension and he said no, according to the Charlotte reporter on 1070 Augustin turned down about 6mil a year for the next 3 years because he wanted to get out of that place at any cost, somebody should make this post and the Djones was a cancer post an sticky somewhere so I don't need to repeat it every time somebody brings one of the myths back.
    I believe that a contract extension was offered in the 2011 offseason following his best year in Charlotte. This past offseason, they extended him the qualifying offer at 4.4 million, which is only 900,000 less than he's making here in Indiana. So yes, he took a pay cut to leave Charlotte, but he'd have been a complete fool to turn down 18 million over 3 years after last season's performance.
    Last edited by LoneGranger33; 12-08-2012 at 01:03 PM.

He's underperforming here, but he wasn't good in Charlotte either, imo. He had some ok/decent stats, but he was a bad player. It's no surprise that Charlotte had the worst record ever with him running the offense. And that's his stronger suit.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The line I'd hope to see when Danny comes back.....
    STARTERS

Hill
    George
    Granger
    West
    Hibbert

Bench

Stephenson
    Young/Green
    Green/Young
    Hansbrough
    Mahimmi

Augustine........3rd pg
    I'm not perfect and neither are you.

Romans 3:23 For all have sinned,and come short of the glory of God. kjv
    Ephisians 4: 32 And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you. kjv

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    I believe that a contract extension was offered in the 2011 offseason following his best year in Charlotte. This past offseason, they extended him the qualifying offer at 4.4 million, which is only 900,000 less than he's making here in Indiana. So yes, he took a pay cut to leave Charlotte, but he'd have been a complete fool to turn down 18 million over 3 years after last season's performance.
    The highlighted part is the reason why the Charlotte guy was laughing his a** off he couldn't understand why he turned that deal down.

Quote Originally Posted by sportfireman View Post
    The line I'd hope to see when Danny comes back.....
    STARTERS

Hill
    George
    Granger
    West
    Hibbert

Bench

Stephenson
    Redd/Green
    Young/Green
    KMart/Tyler
    Mahimmi

Augustine........3rd pg
    Ben................cut
    Pendy.............cut
    Fixed
    If games are won and lost on a calculator and piece of paper, then why do we bother to play them?

@LetsTalkPacers

Mood

He is a descent back-up PG in the NBA plain and simple. I think once Danny returns there will be less pressure for him scoring wise and he will do better. Keep in mind that he has only played 20 games for us and maybe by mid season he will be more comfortable.

His play is disturbingly bad. Not sure how he can keep playing. He's just so terrible at basketball right now.

I don't know why people talk as if he was a decent shooter in recent years. His past three years of shooting percentages have been awful: 2009-10: .386, 2010-11: .416, 2011-12: .376.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freddie fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

At this point we might as well bring Blake Ahearn back or ANYBODY that can hit a wide open jump shot, ***** DJ's been bad.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I guess Ben Hansbrough cannot hurt this team more than DJ right now.
    The perfect scenario would be having Lance as the back up point guard but until Danny comes back i guess we can't have that.

If Augustin really did turn down a multi year deal from the Bobcats, I think he's going to regret it. I really doubt if he's in the NBA next year, at the very least that was the only big money contract he'll ever be offered.
    It is amazing that our front office thought it was a good idea to dump DC for no reason other then be able to go after Augustin. That is complete incompetence.
    There are no good answers to bring in a backup pg. Our best bet will be to wait until Granger is healthy and give all the backup pg minutes to Lance.

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I think it is a combination of our system and maybe the fact that he is struggling mentally. I think this can be said for both Gerald and D.J. Don't get me wrong, D.J. has looked pretty bad since he's been here, but he doesn't look very comfortable and you can't just deny the fact that he was a decent player while in Charlotte even when they were a playoff team at one point. I don't know if he'll come out of this slump and I hope this doesn't end up like the situation T.J. Ford had with us, for Augustin's sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    It is amazing that our front office thought it was a good idea to dump DC for no reason other then be able to go after Augustin.
    I find it extremely hard to believe that was the reason they traded him.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by jeffg-body View Post
    He is a descent back-up PG in the NBA plain and simple. I think once Danny returns there will be less pressure for him scoring wise and he will do better. Keep in mind that he has only played 20 games for us and maybe by mid season he will be more comfortable.
    I think this could be argued. I'm pretty sure last night Denver went at him about 6 possessions in a row, and scored 6 layups in a row.
    Danger Zone

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie fan View Post
    I don't know why people talk as if he was a decent shooter in recent years. His past three years of shooting percentages have been awful: 2009-10: .386, 2010-11: .416, 2011-12: .376.
    That's the one thing that always worried me about DJ. Sure he knocked down 3s at a good clip last year but his 2-point percentage has always terrible.

I really wish we could just cut him and try to sign a player like Mike Bibby. I don't want anymore young unproven players on this team. They need a couple of players on the bench that have experience and won't get rattled on the offensive end. Anyone but him would be an improvement. That's the last I'm going to say about DJ Augustin the rest of the season. He's dead to me.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    They need a couple of players on the bench that have experience and won't get rattled on the offensive end.
    Yes, exactly. We have a young core of players with a very good old vet in David West. We didn't need to add young players to our bench who played on crappy teams last year, and who have basically been on crappy teams their entire careers. We needed to add some old vets with championship experience, or at the very least add players who had gone on some deep playoff runs. That's what NY did with Kidd and Sheed. Sure they might have a combined age of almost 80, but you can't put a price tag on the championship experience and composure that they bring into a locker room. When those dudes talk, everyone listens. We need an old vet like that coming off the bench who you know won't get flustered in a big playoff game. Players like Augistin and Green are the last players you want to trust in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie fan View Post
    Well, that would make sense if that's what he was giving us right now (about .400 shooting), but he's giving us .250 shooting! Surely he has to get better unless he's just suddenly lost his game, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    I find it extremely hard to believe that was the reason they traded him.
    Why else, to do him a favor?
    He was a complete professional coming off the bench for us. Sure he wanted to start but I don't think that's the reason they traded him for a player that would have just signed with us for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    Why else, to do him a favor?
    He was a complete professional coming off the bench for us. Sure he wanted to start but I don't think that's the reason they traded him for a player that would have just signed with us for nothing.
    Most likely because he wanted to be traded. Not everyone makes their trade demand public.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Augustin is simply a bad player.

It really is a shame that our backup PG looks like he should be assigned to the D-League.

When your PG is the black hole offensively, it completely ruins your lineup. I feel like we improved the bench from last season, except at PG which is really ruining the production of the guys coming off the bench, who aren't playing as well as they could be. It's also a real disadvantage for George Hill, who can barely get a breather because he needs to come in immediately for Augustin.

Hopefully he's more productive soon, but if push comes to shove, we need to acquire a better backup PG.

Augustin has had some better games, but it's nothing to get hyped up over.

I'm not sure if the whole playing for a bad team made him appear better. Then comes to a good team as a backup and thinks it'll be easy. To say the least, he's horrible.
    Last edited by Trophy; 12-09-2012 at 12:44 PM.

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP63 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DJVendetta View Post
    I don't think Augustin is this bad either. I've been following him since college and I really always liked his game. I was someone who was really excited when we got him. I just think its either all in his head now or maybe the hype he was getting from the players/fans got to him? That or maybe he just doesn't fit in with this team...it could happen. Same thing with Green. Also those two were on pretty bad teams last year and they kind of had to stand out right? That is a possibility as well, but who knows. Whatever the case is, we've only seen small flashes of "good" from these two players and it is not nearly enough to justify keeping them on this team. I think they just don't fit in here, or they really....I mean REALLY need a lot of time to get some chemistry going here in Indiana, because last year that chemistry here was pretty damn decent. Unfortunately, the fans here, including me are having a hard time believing in patience. We've waited for years for Indiana to be good, and after what happened last year it got to us. We finally got a taste of something more than just positive, it was borderline great for a lot of us. We expected greatness practically this year, but instead we're seeing a team that has gone downhill in comparison. It's been a while since I've watched a full basketball season with a good Indiana team so I'm not sure how long the wait really is, but so far in this early year a lot of us feel the need to panic and the East is looking pretty tough. Patience is not a virtue around here right now and I can understand why. Hopefully our front office and coaching staff has more patience than the fans. (In this case, I say this hoping they are doing the right thing, and something eventually changes by some miracle)
    I agree. He has been a reliable PG. I was excited to see the Pacer's pick him up. He's in a tremendous slump. Hopefully he comes out of it soon.

Mood

DJ had a sweet stretch tonight.

2/2 shooting (4 points) and a real nice assist in about 2 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    DJ had a sweet stretch tonight.

2/2 shooting (4 points) and a real nice assist in about 2 minutes.
    Hasn't been consistent with his play. He needs to step up, because Hill can't play the entire game. He has to be a reliable off the bench point guard. Collison was reliable, and I'm still upset they traded him away
    "We want Miami"

Mood

hindsight is 20/20

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post: