Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: In the words of Stephen Jackson...

Default In the words of Stephen Jackson...

This is part of a larger interview so if you want the full story go to the link, this is the Pacer related part. I will (for now) post this without comment.

http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fan...y-life#comment

Were you that tight with them to take that kind of risk?

I put my career on the line twice. We were all basically the same age on a young, fiery team who had its share of legal struggles. We all grew up basically in the hood, so we related to each other.

So when Ron went into the stands, I didnít think twice about it because he was my brother. I just went up there.

Weird question, but to battle like that Ö was it fun at all?

When I hit that fan, I definitely enjoyed it -- until that fine came down. That $3 million I lost killed me. It brought me back to reality because I could have lost my job.

It was wild because it had never been done before. And it will never happen again so, yeah, adrenaline was flowing. How many people can say that theyíve punched a fan?

Do you know all the stuff that they say to us? The racist stuff they say to us? We get the N-word and people talking about our wives and family.

Just because we make a lot of money weíre supposed to be the bigger person? Fans tell us that our kids are ugly and that they should have thrown our mothers in jail for having us. Thatís not disrespectful?

Iíve been in a lot of fights and done some things I shouldnít have done, but Iíve never sold drugs or been locked up, so for people to think that way about me isnít right.

They had life-size posters of me in Utah with me behind bars. Before the situation with Jamaal Tinsley, I had never been in jail, and Iím from the projects!

Do you regret the Palace brawl?

No. Because the idea of Ron laying in the stands unconscious with all his teeth knocked out Ö no way. That whole arena was against and I didnít have it in my heart not to do anything.

What was it like in the locker room immediately after that?

The funniest thing in the world. Ron leans over to me and asks me if weíre going to get into trouble! I looked at him like he was crazy. We laughed so hard. Jamaal fell out of his locker.

I looked at Ron and asked him, ďDo you realize what we just did? Weíre lucky if we have a job tomorrow.Ē

We just went into the stands. We just banged out on fans. Are you serious? Trouble? I couldnít believe he asked me that.

How did you get through all that?

When Donnie Walsh was in Indiana with me, he had my back. He knew my heart and knew what kind of person I was. I would have never went in the stands on my own. I would have never shot up a strip club on my own.

It was always to help somebody, so when people say that type of stuff, it definitely pisses me off.

So what happened with the strip club incident?

I was there with Jamaal and some friends just for a night of fun and everything was cool. At the end of the night, I was in my car ready to leave.

Then I seen Jamaal walk out of the club with some guy walking behind him with hands in his back pocket like he was fixing to shoot him.

I hopped out of my car with my gun. I had a gun license at the time so it was all good. People think I was shooting up the place willy-nilly, but my gun was registered.

I saw the guy with his hand in his pocket so I cocked my gun and put it in his face. I slapped him with the gun and we got to fighting before I realized they had planned to jump Jamaal.

Iíve been in too many club fights not to know whatís going on. Iím not going to get hit from behind, stomped out and just be laying there. So all of a sudden all these cars pull up and I let off a couple warning shots, like telling everyone to back up.

After that had happened, dude had jumped in his car and planned on trying to kill me. He hit me with his car. He drove straight into me and I flipped up in the air and landed face-first on the ground and knocked all my teeth out.

I hopped right up and lit his whole car up. I didnít think twice because Iím figuring he tried to smoke Jamaal.

This is not an everyday situation. Were you worried that you could have killed somebody?

No, because he tried to kill me. I knew it was self-defense. He hit me with his car at 45 mph in the parking lot. He tried to kill me. I was cool. I didnít have one drink that night.

As I was walking to my car and he was coming straight for me, Iím glad I was sober where I could think, and I just turned sideways. I hit the windshield and flipped up in the air; then I hit the ground.

I had to get plastic surgery on my lips with no anesthesia, with all my teeth gone. Can you imagine how painful that is?

Your career could have ended that night.

That night. Thatís why I know Iím here for a reason. My life is bigger than basketball.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: In the words of Stephen Jackson...

Really cool, thanks for posting.

Jackson definitely has a way with words. Had things gone differently I could easily see him being a writer. He's got a strong author's voice and is a great storyteller, pretty rare skills.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really cool, thanks for posting.

Jackson definitely has a way with words. Had things gone differently I could easily see him being a writer. He's got a strong author's voice and is a great storyteller, pretty rare skills.

WTF? Jackson a writer? What kind of authors are you reading? Pretty ridiculous that he enjoyed punching fans and that they were all laughing about it in the locker room. Unfortunately shows the mentality of a lot of young NBA players.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    WTF? Jackson a writer? What kind of authors are you reading? Pretty ridiculous that he enjoyed punching fans and that they were all laughing about it in the locker room. Unfortunately shows the mentality of a lot of young NBA players.
    I guess it's hard not to be judgmental on someone who's actions basically torpedoed the Pacers, but if you see it from his point of view (and I think the interview does a great job of that), you'd see that he had no intention to damage the Pacers at all. Arguably, it was Ron and Jamaal, respectively, who were really at fault in the two incidents discussed, and SJax was sucked into both because of his "we ride together" philosophy. And, it must be said, making both situations worse by his actions. But in another situation, SJax could very well have ended up being regarded in a much better light. Though his later shenanigans with the Warriors (demanding a contract extension, etc) would have pretty much killed his positive rep at that point, if he had any.

I dunno, I guess I've moved on from the Brawl years, and could regard the main characters with some dispassion. I really liked that Grantland piece that interviewed a lot of the major participants/observers.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    WTF? Jackson a writer? What kind of authors are you reading?
    Good ones.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

One name from the brawl remains... Donnie Walsh....
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Wow. There were some real gems in that piece.

"Are we gonna get in trouble?"

ďPeople talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but heís really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.Ē óLarry Brown

14. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

This wasn't self defense, he started it by slapping an unarmed man with his gun and then firing it off in the parking lot. I'd run the SOB over too!

Screw you Jack!

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacer Fan For This Useful Post:

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    Wow. There were some real gems in that piece.

"Are we gonna get in trouble?"
    Jackson's told that story before. http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-malice-palace

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As easy as it is to cringe at some of those quotes, who here wasn't immediately thrilled when Ron turned around an punched Turtle (and who wasn't shocked when he didn't go down for the count)? Not to mention JO's 'Finish Him!' move.

Aside from everything else, I firmly believe Jax would've been accepted, if not loved here if he wasn't seen so much to be yapping at the refs instead of getting back on D and continually getting in Carlisle's face. On a team with Tinsley and JO, we knew he played hurt and aside from occaissional shot selection issues, played well. We could've layed the other issues at the feet of Ron and Jamaal.
    "I mean, you'd walk into our dressing room and run into Mel Daniels holding a .45 -- it makes you wonder."

Bob Netolicky

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drewtone For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Stephen Jackson has a couple good qualities.

Otherwise, you best just stay away.

ďPeople talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but heís really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.Ē óLarry Brown

There's a correlation in both of these incidents. Jackson claims he headed off disaster...either Ron getting beat up in the stands or Tinsley getting mugged.

First, how does he know that's going to happen and who the H is going to beat up Ron Artest? 99% of the fans are not going to take swings at an NBA player even if they're in the stands. Jackson made a very false assumption there.

Second, I followed Rasheed Wallace one time in downtown Indy. I'm glad Jack wasn't a Piston. Here Jack assumes this guy is going to mug Tinsley and he might have been right. But who knows? Why pull out a gun in that scenario and once again escalate a situation?

That's why this all blew up. Jack escalated both of these situations.

BTW, Tinsley and Jackson are free to go to a strip club on W38th Street, but with those millions there comes a price. They probably should have paid security personnel to ensure their safety and they would have never had these problems.

23. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I guess it's hard not to be judgmental on someone who's actions basically torpedoed the Pacers, but if you see it from his point of view (and I think the interview does a great job of that), you'd see that he had no intention to damage the Pacers at all.
    Oh well, that just completely changes everything. Now that I know he didn't MEAN to do any damage, everything is good now.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

The guy is gasoline, and whenever a fire sparked he did what you would expect. Good heart, though.

27. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Stephen Jackson is a dangerous person. He is ready to fight, and kill if necessary. Anytime. Anywhere.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There is a world of difference between legally owning a gun and know/exercising goos judgement and gun safety.

One good rule to follow is not to fire shots up in the air. It looks cool in the movies, but in real life what goes up must come down.....

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    Stephen Jackson is a dangerous person. He is ready to fight, and kill if necessary. Anytime. Anywhere.
    stephen jackson: the movie. coming to a theater near you.

Nothing about this article makes me look at Stephen Jackson in a different light.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

34. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Probably my least favorite player ever. Screw him and all his gang affiliation, thug life BS.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    There's a correlation in both of these incidents. Jackson claims he headed off disaster...either Ron getting beat up in the stands or Tinsley getting mugged.

First, how does he know that's going to happen and who the H is going to beat up Ron Artest? 99% of the fans are not going to take swings at an NBA player even if they're in the stands. Jackson made a very false assumption there.

Second, I followed Rasheed Wallace one time in downtown Indy. I'm glad Jack wasn't a Piston. Here Jack assumes this guy is going to mug Tinsley and he might have been right. But who knows? Why pull out a gun in that scenario and once again escalate a situation?

That's why this all blew up. Jack escalated both of these situations.

BTW, Tinsley and Jackson are free to go to a strip club on W38th Street, but with those millions there comes a price. They probably should have paid security personnel to ensure their safety and they would have never had these problems.
    This is the root problem! No reason for millionaires to be at a 38th Street club! Waving your money around in front of people who would kill you to take it is foolish. Jamaal seemed to enjoy waving it around and inviting trouble.

This guy is a psycho and a piece of human trash. Screw him. Nothing he can say can make up for the damage he did to this franchise and city.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

41. The Following User Says Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:

I don't know what it says about me that when they invent time travel I'm not going to kill Hitler first, I'm going straight to November 19th, 2004.

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    This guy is a psycho and a piece of human trash. Screw him. Nothing he can say can make up for the damage he did to this franchise and city.
    Yeah.....but what about his book writing qualities? LOL!

45. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

I think this more just confirms that if it wasn't for Jackson the brawl most likely would not have escalated as far as it did. He makes too many assumptions, and decides to escalate the situation before someone else does.

47. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post: