Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Blinded by Gold Dust

Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Blinded by Gold Dust

I was corrected on the amnesty thing (thanks, count). There was a window for this to happen, and it wasn't long after FA started. The best guess is they just didn't anticipate anyone interesting being available, so they largely ignored it. I find this to be unwise, though at the time kind of understandable. Hopefully this experience taught them a lesson moving forward.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned

Everybody knew that Scola was getting amnestied, they knew this was going to happen at least two days before the signing of Hill and Hibbert, is not even about just Scola, Brand was getting amnestied too.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Everybody knew that Scola was getting amnestied, they knew this was going to happen at least two days before the signing of Hill and Hibbert, is not even about just Scola, Brand was getting amnestied too.
    Our F.O. knew with plenty of time that Scola was being amnestied and they still went through with signing Hibbert and Hill which killed any chance of going after him. Even without amnestied players there are always players available at the end of a signing period that come at the right price, Kaman and Mayo were 2 of those players this year, West was a bargain signing last year. A team with cap space should try to improve their team first.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Annnnnnd the Mavs are 10-10..1/2 a game better than the Pacers.
    Which is no indication on who brought in the better players.
    Would you really want to put Ian, Green, DJ and Young against Kaman, Mayo, DC, and Brand? I'd trade right now.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That seems a rewrite of history. Brand was well known but Scola was a surprise when he was announced. The valid point being made was that it shouldn't have mattered, signings should have been scheduled for after the amnesty period just in case anyway.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

I still think that there would be cause for the league to be unhappy if a team postpones a signing in order to participate in a different cap-affected move (like amnesty). It seems that even agreeing on the contract but not yet having signed it steers perilously close to the technical edge that bit teams for agreeing to a contract but not officially signing that contract, just an agreement to sign in future.

In other words, I don't think it would be appropriate to put the brakes on an already scheduled contract signing, both from a "how you treat your players" standpoint and from a "Stern looking for nits to pick to punish teams over" standpoint.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Here is part of the Pritchard quote from July when he was on the JMV show when asked about amnestied players:

"If they would have been amnestied, for lack of a better word, earlier in the week we would have had a chance, and we were watching that wire super closely, but just because of timing and the way it's set up, um, that won't be a reality for us"

That tells me there was some risk in delaying the Hill/Hibbert signing. That could have been pressure from Hibbert and Hill's agents. That could have been a promise made by the Pacers to get the signings done by a certain date when they agreed to terms with those two guys. That could have been a fear of what the NBA would do if they stretched it out any farther.

I'm not sure what the reason is (and they would never explicitly say any of those reasons because they were already in a grey area of the rules), but it does seem like they were interested and something stopped them. If they were happy with their team without the amnestied players, they could have said that. The fact that they didn't and stressed timing suggests to me that something else was stopping them.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    That seems a rewrite of history. Brand was well known but Scola was a surprise when he was announced. The valid point being made was that it shouldn't have mattered, signings should have been scheduled for after the amnesty period just in case anyway.
    Not rewriting history it was reported by multiple people that Scola was getting amnesty in July 11th, 48hours before the signing of Hibbert/Hill.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/07/r...uis-scola.html

Not rewriting history it was reported by multiple people that Scola was getting amnesty in July 11th, 48hours before the signing of Hibbert/Hill.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/07/r...uis-scola.html
    OK, I was interpreting you as saying they knew before scheduling the signing dates.
    BillS

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    OK, I was interpreting you as saying they knew before scheduling the signing dates.
    Not Scola but they knew about Brand, Haywood, Childress, Blatche and Billups.

Not Scola but they knew about Brand, Haywood, Childress, Blatche and Billups.
    Yes. But I was talking about Scola, who was a jaw-dropper.
    BillS