Thread: I think with all of the down time we all missed this

Default I think with all of the down time we all missed this

or at least I didn't see it discussed anywhere.

Here is the quote from the star.

Ron Artest, who was suspended for the remainder of the season, will rejoin the team in practice at an undetermined date, according to Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh. The NBA originally said he would not be allowed to do so, but has relented.

The suspensions of Artest, O'Neal and Jackson are under appeal by the NBA Players Association, so their status could change pending the outcome.

Rumors have begun to circulate that Artest will play for a team overseas during his suspension, but Walsh said he would not allow that even if the suspension is not reduced.

"He remains the property of the Indiana Pacers and the NBA," Walsh said. "We have an obligation to him that extends beyond this year. We can't isolate Ronnie from the franchise and the players."

A couple of things.

1. Does anybody other than me find the term "He remains the property of the Indiana Pacers and the NBA" a very poor choice of words by Donnie? I know it is technically correct but wouldn't it have been better to say that "he remains under contract to the Pacers & the NBA" a better choice of words. Sound a little dehumanizing to me.

2. I find it telling that Ron will return at an undetermined date. Is that undetermined time our choice or his?

3. Will Ron perceive it to be a slap in the face by the team that they won't let him play overseas. I know why they aren't allowing it, but will Ron? Or will he now think the Pacers are punishing him by not allowing him to make a living along with the league?

Just things to ponder.

Default Re: I think with all of the down time we all missed this

Actually, when I read it I thought it sounded like Donnie was backing Ron. "We have an obligation" and "can't isloate Ronnie from the franchise or the players" both have the sound that they want to help and see Ron through this.

I took it as the league said "He can't even practice for the rest of the year" and is now saying "well he can, but not yet."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't read much into the word "property".

I usually have a pretty good ability to pull words out of the air and say exactly what I mean when speaking to others. But I know that countless times through my 52 years I've not said things as well as I could have.

And when a reporter is taking notes on what you're saying, you only have one take to get it right.

A poor choice of words? Yes.

But did Walsh mean anything "extra" by them? Probably not.

As for his return date, I'd say that the date of his returning to practice is of the team's choosing, unless his penalty is reduced. In that event, there would be a definite end to his suspension during the season, and therefore an obvious timeframe for his return to practice. Unless the arbitrator does us a favor and links his return with some sort of medical/mental/behavioral review.

real serious question here...Overseas has been proven to be a rough basketball enviorment for not just the sport of basketball. But other sports like soccer etc...do you guys really want ron over there in that kind of mess? Because I Don't think I do. Let him stay in indy with his family and practice and stuff. It just doesn't seem like something we should do. Also Ron's not going to be on the street cause he's losing that money.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

This article apparently can be interpreted according to the color of glasses you wear--pro-Ron or anti-Ron.

My pro-Ron glasses tell me that the team is demonstrating solidarity with Ron against the NBA by saying they want Ron involved with the team, around the players and coaches, and contributing in other ways besides playing (encouragement, temporary mentor/coach to younger players, helper and defender in practice, etc.).

I think this is backed up by the fact the league initially tried to stop the Pacers on this matter but then backed off.

Despite Stern's perspective, Ron is not the anti-Christ. He's not even a thug. He's a guy with a temper problem who made a bad decision. It deserves several games of suspensions, but not a whole year. It certainly does not deserve dis-owning someone.

I'd like to think that Pacers brass has taken this view to heart, and taking Ronny in at practice is part of their attitude. I'd also like to think they are hoping the Union battles and federal court will win the day for their position.

I've thought all along that Stern went and gave huge suspensions for PR purposes - not because they were fair. If they were overturned on appeal he could throw his hands up and tell the world, "Well, I tried - the courts just wouldn't let me."

OTOH, if it becomes a battle for how much authority Stern has he'll fight it tooth and nail.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire