Thread: Goodell floats novel idea for replacing kickoffs

Default Goodell floats novel idea for replacing kickoffs

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...cing-kickoffs/

...one of the options being considered for replacing kickoffs entails giving the ball to the team that would have been kicking off at its own 30, automatically facing a fourth down and 15 yards to go. The team can then choose to punt or go for it, via fake punt or otherwise.

In other words, the kickoff would be replaced with the punt, and the onside kick would be replaced with a fourth-down conversion attempt (deep in your own territory).

It's kind of funny that when they moved the kickoffs up before last year, Bill Belichick said the league might just look into eliminating the kickoff return, since with better kickers these days, and moving up the kickoff, it has become a non-play. I think Goodell at the time came out and said that, on the contrary, there was no thoughts about eliminating the kickoff return. Now a year and a half later he is saying something else!

Punting from the 30, you'd expect 40 yards net, so the opposition would on average get it at their 30, better position than they get now.

This seems kind of gimmicky to me... are punt returns really THAT much safer than kickoff returns that we have to change the essence of the game?

It's like college overtime rules, which just isn't really football, or how the game is normally played. Neither is a contrived 4th-and-15.
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Goodell floats novel idea for replacing kickoffs

I'm sorry but that's just dumb. I understand safety is an issue, but this is silly
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Suaveness For This Useful Post:

If they want to eliminate kickoffs then just do it... give the other team the ball at the 20.
    Let's quit trying to somehow keep the excitement of the kickoff with some silly gimmicks but still doing away with the kickoff.

EDIT: Let me add... I prefer they just leave the kickoff alone if not go back to the previous rules where kicking the ball into the endzone wasn't almost guaranteed every time.
    Last edited by Bball; 12-06-2012 at 08:48 PM.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

How about fourth and ten? Then teams might actually go for it now and then, maybe even unexpectedly.

But, if I had my druthers, I'd go back to how it was before the current rule went into place.

And if it is ultimately a question of safety, then agree with the poster that opposition gets it at the 20 or 25 automatically, but the onside advantage is completely toast there.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

They probably just need to play flag football and get it over with.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I would rather just keep the kickoff, but the Goodell idea is cool albeit gimmicky.

Try it in the preseason this year and see what happens. I don't really care if they rid of the kickoff as long as they replace it with something competitive, the get the ball at the 20 thing is terrible, a team should at least have an opportunity to maintain possession like they do with onside kicks.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If safety is an issue why not get rid of the penalty for kicking the ball out of bounds...

I think this rule proposal is stupid and I absolutely HATE it...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vapacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If safety is an issue why not get rid of the penalty for kicking the ball out of bounds...
    you'd have to be careful with that. I could see kickers just coffin kick it every time and the majority of drives would start behind own 10 yd lines

14. The Following User Says Thank You to rel For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I juts find it funny that the same group who was asking the players for two more whole games are trying to get rid of the kickoff in the name of safety. If they were so concerned about safety they would not want to increase the schedule by two games.

If they want to get rid of anything just get rid of the extra point and make everyone go for two or something.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to thewholefnshow31 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How about fourth and ten?
    4th and 15 was picked because 4th and 15 plays historically match the success rate of onside kicks, according to Mike & Mike this AM
    The poster "pacertom" since this forum began (and before!). I changed my name here to "Slick Pinkham" in honor of the imaginary player That Bobby "Slick" Leonard picked late in the 1971 ABA draft (true story!)

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, but if you're Peyton Manning or Tom Brady, wouldn't you think that their success rate is higher? It would be interesting to see it, in that sense, but I still don't like the idea.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

It also shouldn't be called a 4th and 15. I don't know what it should be called but you don't automatically get to a 4th down without a 1st down, 2nd down, and 3rd down.... I realize I'm just playing semantics but it's a bad enough idea without a fundamentally wrong name for it too...

If it's to kill the momentum of big bodies flying down the length of the field then why not shorten the field for the kickoff? Line 9 people up at the 45-50 yard line with the kicker still kicking from the 35 (or 30). Then an 11th player facing backwards to signal the players on the 50 yard line that the ball has been kicked thus allowing them to move. Of course that means a lot of 'traffic' for the returner to field the ball amongst.

Then again, you could also limit their downfield movement until the returner has caught the ball....

Or just accept that in sports you can't monkey with the rules too much without taking away from what makes the game what it is....
    Last edited by Bball; 12-08-2012 at 02:45 AM.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

Mood

Stupid idea IMO, it will cut jobs for these atheletes who are special teams players only.

RLeWorm

Damn, Titans getting some good pressure on Luck. We are a 2nd half team though so we will prolly come out swinging, just watch.

Instead of the NFL replacing kickoffs maybe the NFL should replace Goodell?

------

-John Wooden

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Go for it. Kickoffs suck. Vast majority of them are touchbacks, they're the most boring part of the game.

All those qualifiers are stupid though. Just give it to the other team at the 20 after a score.