Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 3-pointer: Darren Collison disappoints again. ESPN Dallas

Default Re: 3-pointer: Darren Collison disappoints again. ESPN Dallas

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Big deal. I would trade them both, together, plus a second round draft choice, for Jarrett Jack.

He11 YES!
    10 Pts... 47% FG... 32% 3PT... 87% FT... 3 Reb... 4.5 Ast as a b/u PG for 5 mil.

George Hill isn't a pure point guard (who is), but its nice to have a legit starting defensive Point Guard who clutch, than the parade of 'could be one of the best back ups' Point Guards who have been on this team over recent years. Looking at you Jarret Jack, DC, and Earl Watson. Not a diss on those guys, but honestly, if you have aspirations to contend and don't have a top 5 player, great back up types who are starting for you, aren't going to get it done. So ya, DJ hasn't been what I'd hoped for yet, but I'm still pretty happy with George Hill even though he not my preferred offensive type starting Point Guard. He is exactly what I want on defense, leadership, toughness, and he's fearless. Glass half full, for me, for now.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    What's he had 2 good games, 2 decent games and 14 bad games? I'll admit that he's played better lately but let's not forget his complete work to date as a Pacer.
    He's been consistently good defensively and sucked it up for the most part offensively, but who hasn't? He's shown me enough talent that I believe he's very capable of becoming a damn good player. Better than nearly every player mentioned in his price range in this thread. Did you see him finish that pass from Paul in traffic with his off hand last night? Or the fake pass then a crab dribble to free up space for the mid range jumper 2 games ago? Yeah he's got butterfingers, but I've noticed gradual improvements there also. He's a developing young player who's already fairly skilled. Once he fine tunes everything I think we're gonna have a gem on our hands. Go ahead and quote me on that.

Also, loving the West/Ian combo. They compliment each other very well on the court together. I'd like to see lots more of it.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post

GSWs are not trading their insurance on Curry's gank ankle.

BUT, he's a UFA this off season.

Jarrett will command more than what he's presently making at 5.5 mil. I figure he'll get paid 6-7 mil by a team needing a starting PG.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    BUT, he's a UFA this off season.

Jarrett will command more than what he's presently making at 5.5 mil. I figure he'll get paid 6-7 mil by a team needing a starting PG.
    ...who will then realize he's one of the best back up Point Guards in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by purdue101 View Post

Mozgov

I watched Mosgov play in the Denver game the other night. He hasn't been playing much this season with Koufos starting and McGee playing off the bench. I didn't think he was that bad for a reserve bench player. He's a Walsh player from the Knicks that came to Denver in the Melo trade.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post

For a guy like Ian not much, he should get the same type of contract the Pacers gave Solo, they are pretty similar.
    Solo's name shouldn't be used in the same sentence with Ian as it's an insult to Ian. Ian has more talent than Solo ever had. Terrible comparison!

Quote Originally Posted by purdue101 View Post

I got JO - that's about it.

Rasheed Wallace

[QUOTE=aamcguy;1541429]

And let's not pretend that Indiana is a hot ticket for veteran guys that are on their last legs. They want to be on teams where they can use their veteran awareness to make up for their lack of mobility utiltizing space that only superstars can create. /QUOTE]

Let us not pretend JO wouldn't love to come back to play for the Pacers. He's a steal at $854,300!

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post

And let's not pretend that Indiana is a hot ticket for veteran guys that are on their last legs. They want to be on teams where they can use their veteran awareness to make up for their lack of mobility utiltizing space that only superstars can create.
    Chris Mullens and Sam Perkins say hello. When it comes to a team being a hotbed for veterans on their last leg, what vets prefer is all relative. They tend to pick championship caliber teams no matter where it is located. We haven't been championship caliber team lone enough to get those kind of vets..

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Let us not pretend JO wouldn't love to come back to play for the Pacers. He's a steal at $854,300!
    If someone asks hey would you rather have a physical and athletic 26 yr old 7-footer as your B/U C for 4 mil a yr, or an old broken down 35 yr old 7 footer for under a million--most teams would choose the former.

JO looked DONE in Bos last yr, another yr taken away following injuries. Yes he would have loved to come back here, but nobody could have known that he'd be relatively healthy for the first time since...well forever really.

Also, he's playing in PHO where their training staff is known to work wonders (see Grant Hill) so it's not a surprise he goes there and is relatively healthy when compared to the past 5-6 yrs.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    No way they are eating that salary. Even Vnzla would dump him to sign someone like KMart for the same amount.

Hustling undersized bigs that shoot 40% are available for that price. They won't draw fouls like Tyler, but they'll get the same RebP48, better FG%, better defense, no blocked shots at the rim, etc.
    Yes I would dump him even though I really like the guy, as you can see I don't let my love for a guy to blind my look for what is better for the team, I wish some people could do the same thing, hell I wish the team could do the same, there is a reason why I admire Bill Polian the guy has the cojones many team owners don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post

...who will then realize he's one of the best back up Point Guards in the league.

That could be said about Hill too. Neither are true PG's, but combo guards. Some on this board want to bring the 8 MILLION MAN off the bench. That's 8 mil for 40% FG% for the year. Last 2 games of 18% in the Chicago game and 37% in the Portland game. Yeah, but he's clutch, right?

Jack 47% FG... 32% 3PT... 87% FT... 3 Reb... 4.5 Ast... 10 PPG as a BACKUP PG!

The things you mention about Hill such as defense, leadership, toughness, and fearlessness is the samething Jack has and had as a Pacer. Bird could have re-signed Jack at less than 20 mil for 4 years. HALF the money Walsh re-signed Hill for. No doubt to me which player is the better bargain, and his name isn't George Hill.

Lets hope Lawson can be contained tonight by the 8 MIL MAN. If not, it's going to be a long night in BLF.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    Yes, he's actually a very good spark off the bench. He showed that against Miami and became a good weapon. But that's really all he is. He's like Vinnie Johnson back in the day in Detroit. He can heat up. He's not much different than having a Nate Robinson coming off the bench. But neither is a good starting PG. They are explosive scorers, short in stature. Neither make their team mates better and neither have that great court awareness you want in a PG.
    Nate Robinson is the exact same comparison I was going to make. I think both players are above average bench players that can give you a good 20 - 24 minutes a game and keep things going offensively scoring-wise. They're great at pushing the tempo and getting shots early in the offense. I'd take either of them over DJ and give them the primary scoring role off the bench. I'm also missing Jarret Jack, TJ Ford, and even Travis Best right now.

Banned

Solo's name shouldn't be used in the same sentence with Ian as it's an insult to Ian. Ian has more talent than Solo ever had. Terrible comparison!
    Similar players, Solo was brought here because of his ability to defend, block shots and score the jumper, sounds familiar? Ian to me looks better because of the system but at the end they are pretty close to be the same players.

Here are Bird comments after signing him, this sounds familiar:
    “He’s a young, athletic player who has improved each year he has been in the league,” said Pacers President of Basketball Larry Bird. “He definitely can help hold down our interior defense and we believe he can be part of what we’re trying to do here.”

Read more: http://www.insidehoops.com/blog/?p=4649#ixzz2ENtdtvkR
    I also came across this tweet from Wells from few months ago, I didn't know they were looking at him again(before the off season so we are clear)
    Keep an eye on Solomon Jones, who New Orleans didn't sign 4 rest of season, as a possible big man Pacers may look at to help at center

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    I think we drop his rights to use the money elsewhere. Like with DC, we don't HAVE to get rid of his salary for cap reasons, but I think we will choose to in order to keep the overall budget down. I don't really agree with it, but that seems to be the financial parameters we're working under.
    Funny thing with Tyler is that he is still an interior bull. His jump shot seems to have disappeared, but now it's like he has suddenly learned to play decent defense. But with his present contract and coming QO, there's probably no way he would re-sign for 2.5m or so.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Similar players, Solo was brought here because of his ability to defend, block shots and score the jumper, sounds familiar? Ian to me looks better because of the system but at the end they are pretty close to be the same players.

Here are Bird comments after signing him, this sounds familiar:
    Just because they're brought in to do the same type of play, doesn't mean they do it at the same level. I shouldn't have to point out the difference.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

billbradley

Solo and Ian close? You can't be watching Pacer games. If healthy, Ian will have a long career in the NBA. Solo was a borderline D leaguer.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Just because they're brought in to do the same type of play, doesn't mean they do it at the same level. I shouldn't have to point out the difference.
    No s*** really? .....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by billbradley View Post
    Solo and Ian close? You can't be watching Pacer games. If healthy, Ian will have a long career in the NBA. Solo was a borderline D leaguer.
    No doubt he is going to have a long career....... because he has a long term contract.....

Here is a video of Solomon Jones that I posted few weeks ago for those that care.

And yes Since86 I know the video doesn't prove anything, so don't bother in commenting because I know what you are going to say, thanks.
    Last edited by vnzla81; 12-07-2012 at 11:52 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    DC has the athletic ability, he just doesn't have the basketball IQ needed to be a successful point guard in the NBA.
    Partly agree. I think DC can be very successful; he's already proved that. It's just that his skill set would limit his probability for success to playing for only a very small subset of teams, each geared for a player of his type.

I think there are a lot of players like that. It's just that they chase money or get traded to teams that aren't geared to use them in their preferred ways. Then, suddenly they are viewed as sucking because their output decreases.

And I think that's why all of us, at one time or another, get infatuated with players on other teams who would NEVER work out here. We see what they accomplish elsewhere, and automatically want to believe that their performance will directly translate to our team.

I guess you could say that we all like setting ourselves up for disappointment.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    DC has the athletic ability, he just doesn't have the basketball IQ needed to be a successful point guard in the NBA.
    I think he is good enough to be an spark plug off teams benches ala CJ Watson, Jason Terry, Varea,etc, the quickest he realize this the better is going to be for him and his career.

billbradley

No doubt he is going to have a long career....... because he has a long term contract.....
    Correct, something Solo never earned. If Solo and Ian were the same player, Solo would still be in the NBA.

Ian moves and just knows where to be SO much better than Solo. I can't see how you can watch games and not notice this major gap. Solo never looked comfortable without the ball unless he was blocking a shot.
    Last edited by billbradley; 12-07-2012 at 12:24 PM.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Exactly. Comments like these are what are making me tune out Vnzla as irrational more than simply having a different opinion.

Freaking Solo going off dribble at all, or as consistantly putting up smooth outside jumpers, or in any way looking even 50% as coordinated. It's not even close. And when you look at their first few seasons you see that Ian has been making this natural progression in time and performance while Solo came out and just landed flat at whatever he was in year 1, maybe even declining a bit.

Ian is a career .543 shooter vs Solo's .470, and Solo was more of a score at the rim type than Ian. Ian is also a bit bigger than Solo.

Ian is coming out of a team-wide shooting slump. If it weren't for the Knicks game he would have trended up to 45% and held it well, with the Portland 6-6 bumping him to 48%. Over the last 6 games he's shot 54%. He's also seen a clear increase in fouls drawn (10, 8, 6 FTA games in last 6 games).

If he cuts the TOs down and maybe cuts back .5 to 1 foul a game, he's going to be a strong bench big. He's becoming a scoring option of the bench for a team that has no idea what the bench offense should look like.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

And yes Since86 I know the video doesn't prove anything, so don't bother in commenting because I know what you are going to say, thanks.
    It does prove something. It proves that a highlight reel doesn't even feature a SINGLE contested dribble. He puts the ball down on 1-2 plays with nobody between himself and the rim. All the other stuff is created by others, catch at the rim and dunk. On 2 of the PnRs he barely avoids the charge when the defender gets on the line instead of outside the circle.

This inability to physically adjust with the ball is a fundamental difference between the two players.

He's a classic long player with decent hops that if you set them up they will make the dunk or make the shot block. Solo is a good shot blocker, but that has as much to do with length and hops as anything. Let him come as the help defender and he's going to get the shot block, but Solo was never close to showing the straight up low post position defense that Ian can do.

It kills me that the video evidence you go to seems to reinforce the exact points of contention.

Ian vs Memphis in pre-season, one of the quickest vids I could find. Primarily notice the 2 early low post plays where he puts the ball on the court, contested in the post, and dribble moves his way into a quality score.

Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 12-07-2012 at 12:45 PM.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post: