Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Where do you rate Kobe all time?

Step aside, King James BlueNGold's Avatar

Default Re: Where do you rate Kobe all time?

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I just never know how to translate their era to the modern one or even the 80s or 90s NBA. I tend to think they wouldn't do nearly as well today (particularly Russell at his size and skill set) with those same bodies/talent, though they would still be good or very good players. No way to really know, I guess.

That's why I always have trouble with putting them in my 'best ever' lists because I have a hard time separating how dominant and awesome they were in their own era with how I think they might fare in 2012.
    I mainly recall seeing Wilt rather than Russell. Maybe it was his notoriety. But the way you translate Wilt to the modern era is to go through Kareem. Kareem was a dominant C and IMO better than all other centers except Hakeem and maybe Shaq. But when you compare him to Wilt, you can see who the better center was. That's the main reason I believe Wilt is the best center of all time.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I was talking about recent hall of famers or future hall of famers compared to old school hall of famers I was not talking about just any NBA player, for example if I had a choice between West and Kobe I take Kobe 10 times out of 10.

And with that said I believe that players like Russel, Walton, Kareem and others would have been just fine in this era.
    Kareem would be the best center in today's NBA. Goodness, Tyson Chandler is considered one of the better centers and he has no game. I find today's era for centers to be awful. I could name 5 or 10 centers in the 90's that were considerably better than Tyson Chandler.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

No offense to Roy - a recent all - star center and arguably one of the league's best last year - but put he or Howard up against Wilt, Kareem, or a multitude of the 90s pivots. It screams painful MISMATCH. Like CYO vs. NFL. Duncan is one of the few current Cs who'd even give those guys a good run. And he's not even in his prime now.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    No offense to Roy - a recent all - star center and arguably one of the league's best last year - but put he or Howard up against Wilt, Kareem, or a multitude of the 90s pivots. It screams painful MISMATCH. Like CYO vs. NFL. Duncan is one of the few current Cs who'd even give those guys a good run. And he's not even in his prime now.
    Hakeem would make every single C in the NBA look like trash. Howard has the physique, but his skill level is terrible. Hibbert isn't even part of the conversation. There are no other centers in the NBA who even remotely compare. Yes, Duncan deserves an honorable mention but that's about it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    You really think that Kobe was the second best player on the back to back teams with Gasol? LMAO dude. Give me a break.
    You may have a case in the year they beat Orlando, but ire-watch their championship against Boston. If you can't see that Pau Gasol was by far the better and more valuable player, I don't know what to say. How was Kobe better exactly? Name recognition? His 6-24 performance in Game 7? LOL

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    I like to look at it this way. Smits was a good center in the 90's, but not one of the best. Today, he would easily be one of the best if not the best C.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Pace Maker View Post
    You may have a case in the year they beat Orlando, but ire-watch their championship against Boston. If you can't see that Pau Gasol was by far the better and more valuable player, I don't know what to say. How was Kobe better exactly? Name recognition? His 6-24 performance in Game 7? LOL
    You do have a point (kind of) if you ONLY watch the 2010 NBA Finals. Gasol not only was better in Game 7, but should have won the Finals MVP that season as well, IMO.

However, Tony Parker won the 2007 NBA Finals MVP. In no way, shape, or form was Tony Parker better than Tim Duncan that season. That's exactly the way to look at the 2010 Lakers. Kobe Bryant was the best player on that championship team. No question.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    Wilt the Stilt was JUST AWESOME. He was so unbelieveably athletic, agile, and mobile. The greatest big man EVER!! He could be said the greatest BB player ever.

The problem I have with this thread is that few posters on this board have seen players who played in the 50's 60's, or 70's. If you never saw them play, you are at a great disadvantage ranking players.

Wilt was THE player in his time! He was head and shoulders above the rest. Chamberlain didn't have the quality of players surrounding him like Russell did, thus he didn't win Championships, but what he did do was make his team championship caliber contenders by himself. Most don't remember or know Wilt's 1st team was the Phiadelphia Warriors. Quick name another player on that team without goggling the answer. I watched many a game of Wilt's, and that's why I can say how GREAT he was!

How many are aware after the NBA that Wilt played volleyball? He was an ATHLETE personified!
    I agree completely. I am old and have watched pro ball since the mid 50's.