Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Where do you rate Kobe all time?

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Where do you rate Kobe all time?

Quote Originally Posted by Future_NBA_Player View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're an idiot!!!
    Fixed. You're out of line. Your rebuttal is lacking substance. You're in over your head. Your tone is unacceptable. Your avatar is awesome. But you're going to have be more definitive in your reasoning for me to address this further.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    There's this LeBron guy...
    I don't think his career has been legendary just yet. Numbers wise, yes. But for all that talent, he only has one ring whereas Kobe has 5.

Thus far, I would say that Lebron has underachieved a bit (in my eyes the most blessed and talented basketball player I've ever seen)

Not saying he wont be legendary one day, and there's no doubt the guy is GREAT. But I still rank Kobe as the best player to come straight from HS to the pros.
    Last edited by Ace E.Anderson; 12-06-2012 at 04:32 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    There's this LeBron guy...
    Kevin Garnett is pretty damn good too... definently hall of fame quality.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

Lol I mentioned KG as a HOF'er. Meaning a hall of famer....

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I don't think his career has been legendary just yet. Numbers wise, yes. But for all that talent, he only has one ring whereas Kobe has 5.

Thus far, I would say that Lebron has underachieved a bit (in my eyes the most blessed and talented basketball player I've ever seen)

Not saying he wont be legendary one day, and there's no doubt the guy is GREAT. But I still rank Kobe as the best player to come straight from HS to the pros.
    I would say LeBron not winning a ring in his first year in Miami was a disappointment. But his time in Cleveland? Nah sorry, don't care how talented you are, when you have a **** team around you, and you are able to carry them to the Finals or ECF multiple times, its still impressive. I can't really fault him for not winning in Cleveland. Those teams just weren't good. And we saw that once he left.

Of course LeBron still has work to do, but he'll get it done. The dude is still improving. He's a student of the game still and he got that first ring. And he is still on a team with Wade and Bosh. LeBron has the talent to go down as the best ever. Don't think he will though. I do think he can surpass Kobe though.

For me, Kobe is behind Michael. Not sure if I can put him behind anyone else. Just watching him, even this late into his career, its really a treat. I love watching the guy play. Yeah he won his first 3 titles with Shaq as the main piece, but they don't win without Kobe either. Youngest by over a year to 30k points? Ridiculous.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Obviously Kobe is a great player, but what exactly has he done without riding on Shaq/Gasol's back? Even today when he's still playing at a high level, if Gasol can't produce the team will amount to nothing. His point averages were insane during his prime, but again, he would never make the Finals. Yes his team was garbage, but Lebron led his useless team to 60+ seasons and a Finals appearance...

tl dr; probably low top 10

Quote Originally Posted by Pace Maker View Post
    Obviously Kobe is a great player, but what exactly has he done without riding on Shaq/Gasol's back? Even today when he's still playing at a high level, if Gasol can't produce the team will amount to nothing. His point averages were insane during his prime, but again, he would never make the Finals. Yes his team was garbage, but Lebron led his useless team to 60+ seasons and a Finals appearance...

tl dr; probably low top 10
    You can say that about any great player on a championship team. Nobody wins without good teamates lol.
    And you can't compare Lebron's "sad" teams to Kobe's.

Mo Williams >> Smush Parker
    Kobe Bryant>>>Anthony Parker/Larry Hughes/D. West
    Lebron James >>>>Luke Walton/Caron Butler
    Lamar Odom > A young Anderson Verejao
    Zydrunas Illgausgas >> a young Bynum, Chris Mihm, Kwame Brown

Cavs also had a better bench.

Kobe's teams were one of the worst assembled teams for those few years.

i'd say around 20th. if he were charismatic & likable, top 5 probably
    Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar

Kobe is the not only the first, but he may be the ONLY high school to pros player that went on to have a legendary career.
    Kobe was not the first. Moses Malone was probably the first real prep-to-pro player in 1974. Kobe Bryant wouldn't enter the world for another 4 years. Moses was a 3 time NBA MVP, Champion and Finals MVP in 1983, 12X All Star, 4 Time All-NBA First team, and scored 29,500 points in his career. I don't think his overall resume is quite as impressive as Kobe's, but he was definitely a successful prep-to-pro way before anyone else.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to glazedham42 For This Useful Post:

You can say that about any great player on a championship team. Nobody wins without good teamates lol.
    And you can't compare Lebron's "sad" teams to Kobe's.

Mo Williams >> Smush Parker
    Kobe Bryant>>>Anthony Parker/Larry Hughes/D. West
    Lebron James >>>>Luke Walton/Caron Butler
    Lamar Odom > A young Anderson Verejao
    Zydrunas Illgausgas >> a young Bynum, Chris Mihm, Kwame Brown

Cavs also had a better bench.

Kobe's teams were one of the worst assembled teams for those few years.
    Well the typical argument for Kobe's "greatness" is because of his 5 rings, which is great and everything but I always felt like he was the 2nd best player whenever they were really good.

Yeah looking back LBJ's Cleveland team was better, (but god damn how the hell did he lead them to 60+ wins with Mike Brown??! lol). I guess I've just always thought that Kobe, while remarkable, has been blessed with amazing teammates time in and time out.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Pace Maker For This Useful Post:

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

My question is, is he even the best Laker ever. Some of you have him close to 2 all times (and that's fine), but I don't even think he's the 2nd best Laker. Magic, Kareem are easily higher. And then it's a mash up with Shaq, West, Elgin Baylor (perhaps the most underrated Laker), and even Wilt played there for like 5 years. Kobe in my opinion is somewhere between 3rd and 6th best Laker, which has to put him between 8th - 15th range in the all-time discussion at best.

Side note: God have the Lakers been blessed with basketball talent.
    PG24: "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are footprints on the moon!"

RT @Hoya2aPacer "When I play this game I love. I play to make my teammates better. But I'm a mouther****er on defense."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kobe is closer to Pippen than MJ, and if it wasn't for Shaq he would just be another Dominique Wilkins.

Well the typical argument for Kobe's "greatness" is because of his 5 rings, which is great and everything but I always felt like he was the 2nd best player whenever they were really good.

Yeah looking back LBJ's Cleveland team was better, (but god damn how the hell did he lead them to 60+ wins with Mike Brown??! lol). I guess I've just always thought that Kobe, while remarkable, has been blessed with amazing teammates time in and time out.
    Bird played with McHale, Parrish, DJ and a broken down Bill Walton. (Not to mention Nate Archibald and Danny Ainge)
    Magic played with Kareem, Worthy, and Wilkes
    Jordan played with Pippen, Rodman, and Kukoc

Not everyone there is a HOFer, but most of EM were realllly good.

Kobe's played with Shaq and then he played with Pau. Those are the ONLY two HOFers(potential in Pau's case) that Kobe has played with. Maybe he was second to Shaq, but there's no way in hell he was ever second to soft as Charmin Pau Gasol. Idc how skilled he is, Kobe was the man on that team.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Kobe to me is like K. Malone. He had a long career and in kobe's case he had a lot of career accomplishments. But no one considers K. Malone the greatest Forward ever or even in the top ten of all time.
    My list.

Legends that will never be passed.
    Bill Russell, when you have more rings than fingers, as the man well you are the MAN.
    Wilt, check the record book.
    Mj, well its MJ enough said.
    Bird and Magic, if you think Kobe is better than either one of these then you never saw them play.
    Kareem, well its Kareem. enough said.

Next tier.
    In no order
    The Dream
    Big O
    Shaq
    Duncan
    Walton
    West
    Lebron
    Kobe

I have him at 11 myself, he could get as high as 8 or 9. No way he is ever in the top 6.
    Good is the enemy of Great

We're changing the identity of our basketball team -- dramatically. We're a power post team -- a blood-and-guts, old-school, smash-mouth team that plays with size, strength, speed and athleticism. We attack the basket. . . . This is the new identity of our team. It was a great effort. I'm very proud of our guys."
    -- Frank Vogel.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You really think that Kobe was the second best player on the back to back teams with Gasol? LMAO dude. Give me a break.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Pretty simple question, where do you think Kobe should be rated at and why?
    Jordan
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Bill Russell
    Kareem
    Magic

Bird
    Oscar Robertson
    Jerry West
    Kobe
    James

I have Kobe 9th overall but 4th on the Lakers..... Kobe suffers from being much like Michael Jordan.... ...
    Last edited by OlBlu; 12-06-2012 at 07:49 PM.

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by colts19 View Post
    Kobe to me is like K. Malone. He had a long career and in kobe's case he had a lot of career accomplishments. But no one considers K. Malone the greatest Forward ever or even in the top ten of all time.
    My list.

Legends that will never be passed.
    Bill Russell, when you have more rings than fingers, as the man well you are the MAN.
    Wilt, check the record book.
    Mj, well its MJ enough said.
    Bird and Magic, if you think Kobe is better than either one of these then you never saw them play.
    Kareem, well its Kareem. enough said.

Next tier.
    In no order
    The Dream
    Big O
    Shaq
    Duncan
    Walton
    West
    Lebron
    Kobe

I have him at 11 myself, he could get as high as 8 or 9. No way he is ever in the top 6.
    I agree with this and I am changing my post to put Oscar ahead of him....

Probably not even in my top 15. One of the more overrated players of all time in my opinion. He belongs in a top 20 or so discussion, but in no way is he a top 10 player.

Oh Hakeem is definitely over him. I forgot about The Dream.

At least top 10

HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar

Whenever I hear people talk about Kobe's "legendary" status I always think back in my head to game 7 of the 2010 finals. He was wretched that game. 6-24 on FGs and 0-6 from the 3 PT line. 4 TOs and 2 AST. He ended with 24 that game but 11 of them were a gift at the free throw line. With as many shots as he took he should've ended the game with 40. If the refs hadn't bailed out L.A. to the tune of 20 extra free throws they would've gotten blown out by Boston in that game. I'm still not convinced there wasn't some shady officiating going on in that game. I don't know the actual numbers, but I feel like Kobe went to the FT line about 4 times in the last 2 minutes of that game. You can watch all his screw ups below. A legendary player doesn't play like this in a crucial game. Yeah they won, and I understand that sometimes you have to take over the game and all that, but when you are getting double/triple teamed and continue to shoot fadeaway 3's are you really a legend? The lack of basketball IQ in those clips is astounding to me at times. Especially at about 45 seconds into the video when Ray Allen completely puts the clamps on Kobe and his turnound fadeaway jumper hits the side of the backboard. That play to me is the very essence of Kobe Bryant.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to glazedham42 For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Try this list on for size. I don't have Kobe in the top-10, and I don't necessarily see James making the top-ten either. Neither of them were centers, and there are already too many non-C's on this list for my taste...

1. Wilt
    2. Oscar
    3. Magic
    4. Bird
    5. Russell
    6. Jordan
    7. Shaq
    8. Kareem
    9. Duncan
    10. Olajuwan
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Sorry, but Moses Malone is the greatest high school to the pros player of all time, and I personally don't even think it's close. LeBron will likely surpass Moses, but Kobe has not and will not in my eyes.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    Jordan
    Wilt Chamberlain
    Bill Russell
    Kareem
    Magic

Bird
    Oscar Robertson
    Jerry West
    Kobe
    James

I have Kobe 9th overall but 4th on the Lakers..... Kobe suffers from being much like Michael Jordan.... ...
    That's a pretty good list. Kobe in top 10 is about right.

I think LeBron is better than Kobe and right there with Bird and Magic. LeBron is a better basketball player than Kobe. He's not as skilled as Bird and Magic though, which I think matters a bit more than physical ability. In terms of strength, speed, etc., he's a smaller version of Chamberlain.

Michael Jordan was unstoppable. He was unstoppable whether he had Pippen on the floor or not. Kukoc wasn't that great and wasn't there much of the time. Rodman came late, although he made it impossible to beat the Bulls. The Bulls could have won 8 or 9 straight championships in the modern era if they wanted to do it. MJ was unstoppable when a typical foul by Charles Oakley might mean broken ribs. He was the greatest competitor and the most effective and amazing basketball player of all time IMO.

Controversial opinion alert: Wilt Chamberlain is overrated. In interest of full-disclosure, I never saw the man play - way before my time (like, I presume many others in this thread). I would merely suggest that had he played in an era with Shaq, Kareem, Hakeem, even a guy like Ewing, many of these All-Time Greatest lists might look very different. He was a 7'2 giant playing in an era when the average height of a starting center was 6'7. Also, any list with Russell over Wilt is nonsensical. I understand the argument that Russell played on vastly superior teams, but 9 championships to 2 pretty much speaks for itself.

Maybe one of the old-timers on here can set me straight, because I just don't get Wilt being a top 5 player all time.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Eddie Gill For This Useful Post: