Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stern officially not fining the Pistons organization

Default Stern officially not fining the Pistons organization

Looks like Stern has decided to not fine the Pistons.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...p-221939c.html

Word to wise guys

Stern treatment for foul fans

Here's a heads-up to all the hotheads out in Detroit and Indianapolis who live to heckle players and coaches and freely use profanity: Starting Jan. 1, you had better watch your language.

While David Stern continues to take steps to introduce a code of conduct for fans in the wake of the Detroit riot, league officials say that rules presently on the books governing fans' language and behavior are going to be enforced as never before, starting on New Year's Day.

"We do have rules on the books about how to deal with fans who use excessive profanity," deputy commissioner Russ Granik said Friday. "We've had fans taken out of the arenas who have gone over the line. But we have to take a whole new look at everything."

This is not a league-wide problem. It's mostly a Detroit problem, with Indiana and Sacramento also needing some tighter security. Stern says, "I'm not singling out any one city" and in announcing the suspensions Nov. 21, he failed to do that by not penalizing the Pistons. He should have hit them with a $1 million fine for negligence and a litany of previous problems, all involving failure to keep their fans in line. It's hard to imagine that Stern allowed his long-standing relationship with Detroit owner Bill Davidson to cloud his judgment, but he missed a chance to force the Pistons to clean up the inappropriately named Palace.

"I considered it," Stern said of a fine. "But I thought it was more important to penalize the players."

Having done that, he has turned his attention to security, league-wide. Detroit, Indiana and Sacramento are the first arenas where the present "one-warning system" really needs to be enforced. It's been on the books, but rarely used. But it's at the top of the list of rules that are going to be enforced, according to those familiar with the league's security plans.

When fans get out of line verbally with players, coaches or refs, rules state that they are to be given one warning by a security person to "cease and desist." That occurred in last month's Knicks-Celtics game at the Garden, when a fan who was sitting next to the Celtics bench and was riding Gary Payton pretty hard was given a warning. He complied. If he had not, and had been approached by security a second time, he would have been removed from the arena.

Under the current rules, a second ejection from the arena in the same season results in the ticket-holder losing his seat for the remainder of the season. In a case where a season-ticket holder has given tickets to a friend and the friend is guilty of breaking the heckling/profanity rules, the season-ticket holder would still be the one penalized.

The enforcement of those rules is what Stern talked about when he handed down the suspensions and said that security must be "aggressive" to make sure that fans "don't react badly."

They never react that badly in 90% of the league's arenas, anyway. But just the same, the Garden has beefed up its security in the lower bowl down at courtside in an effort to prevent any trouble. During Knicks games, green-jacketed security guards now sit at the foot of every aisle leading down to the court, even those across from the benches. During play, they sit with their backs to the court, watching fans. During stoppages, they have been instructed to walk up the stairs to the area where fans can first enter the lower-bowl seats. There, they refuse to let anyone down who doesn't have a ticket.

While those measures should go a long way to preventing trouble in New York, one area in which the league is sure to encounter resistance from its own teams involves beer sales. Some arenas, like the Meadowlands, cut off sales after three quarters. "Forget about cutting back on beer sales," said one league official. "That's where these teams make their money. They're not going to cut back when they can charge $7.50 (a beer) in some places."

Kidd's odds and end

With Jason Kidd returning to action, the meter is officially running on when the Nets deal him to a new team. Handicapping where Kidd will be sent before the Feb. 24 trading deadline:

Team (Odds):

Minnesota (5-1)
    Comment: T-Wolves might have to get a third team involved, so that the Nets come away with the young starter they seek.

Dallas (7-1)
    Comment: Mavs have more assets than any team, starting with Devin Harris, Marquis Daniels and Josh Howard, but aren't in love with Kidd's long-term deal.

Portland (12-1)
    Comment: Blazers want Kidd more than Kidd wants Portland.

Denver (15-1)
    Comment: Nets have to think long and hard whether they'd take Andre Miller and Nene.

Sacramento (40-1)
    Comment: If you're the Kings and time is running out in the Chris Webber era, would you give up Peja Stojakovic? Heck, why not?

Lakers (50-1)
    Comment: A Kobe-Kidd backcourt doesn't begin to address the lack of a superstar up front.

Slam Dunks

Herb Brown, Atlanta assistant and older brother of Larry, had his new book, "Let's Talk Defense!" hit bookstores recently. "It's my view on how to play defense - just what we're not doing," said Brown with a laugh. "I haven't gotten it across to our guys." With that collection of Hawks, who can? . . . Already without Jamal Mashburn and Baron Davis, the Hornets were well on their way down Lottery Road. Now they have also lost their center Jamaal Magloire, for three months with a broken finger. He had played in 11 games, averaging 14 points and nine rebounds. . . . The fact that the NBA has gone to federal court to make sure the suspensions of Ron Artest, Stephen Jackson and Jermaine O'Neal stand up tells you how critical this case is to David Stern.

It's hard to imagine that Jerry West is going to stick around with the Grizzlies after this season, with his power base shrinking. West, who had total power with the Lakers, is clearly not in charge in Memphis. Sources say he wanted to hire Eric Musselman as head coach to succeed Hubie Brown. Despite Musselman's losing record (75-89) with the Warriors, West is one of Musselman's biggest backers. But Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley wanted Mike Fratello to get the job. In a compromise that West can't like, Musselman is Fratello's No. 1 assistant.

Charlotte's Steve Smith has seen a lot of great big men in 14 seasons. Does Smith think rookie Emeka Okafor can be a foundation player for the Bobcats? "Back when I came in, and you were the first or second pick overall, you could do everything. You were supposed to do everything. Now, it's different. It remains to be seen if he can dominate like a Kevin Garnett or a Tim Duncan. . . . He can score, but it's not the typical big-man way, where he draws the double-team and commands the double-team."

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Default Re: Stern officially not fining the Pistons organization

Great piece of information: the fan policy begins on New year's day, not immediately. Wha??? Oh yeah, and NOT on Christmas day. Hmmmmmmm....

I think I need to go at least one day without shaking my head in disgust. There's always tomorrow to look forward to.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Indiana... Detroit... and Sacremento are the worst offenders?

-Bball

Stern is nothing but a pompous ***, dick head, sonofa*****. When has Indiana caused problems in this league? **** you Stern! Damn c*ck sucker.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah Indiana has such as bad rep **** you Stern.**** YOU
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

sweabs

I was also wondering why Indiana and Sacramento were singled out, and paired together among Detroit? Out of all the teams in the league...us and Sacramento are comparable to Detroit? Why?

I like the fact that Stern thought it better to penalize the players. Obviously the fans weren't involved.

maybe there saying indiana,sactown with detroit because of the cowbells and the infamous "Pinwheels" in the magic playoff series.
    But that was ages ago!~ so i donno

And many on this board continue to act like David Stern treated the Pacers fairly in this matter. I can not fathom that anyone thinks a five million dollar fine for Ron Artest and almost a year's suspension was fair or needed. There was a reason half the Pacers team went looney tunes in Detroit and it had to do with gross fan abuse of the players, first verbally then physically.

I get outraged when I think of Detroit Pistons management allowing alcohol sales in the fourth quarter of a ball game.

Pacers players were not adequately and reasonably protected in Detroit.

this is pretty much as many people predicted it would play out.
    excessive suspensions for the Pacers players involved, a slap on the wrist for the Pistons players and next to nothing happens to the fans involved or the Pistons organisation. Its hard not to come to the conclusion that Stern has a bias against the Pacers when the punishments are so disproportionate.

I thought this line was classic:

It's mostly a Detroit problem, with Indiana and Sacramento also needing some tighter security. Stern says, "I'm not singling out any one city
    "I considered it," Stern said of a fine. "But I thought it was more important to penalize the players."
    Reads to me, Detroit is the main problem but I dont want to penalize them or even impinge upon their income in the slightest, just destroy the Pacers season.

He doesn't want to single out any one city? You just did you stupid *****! Somebody needs to get the NBA a press agent to save Stern from himself.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

And may I add one more **** you to Stern.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacerfan2425
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah Indiana has such as bad rep **** you Stern.**** YOU
    Why, don't you remember how disrespectful of Iverson we were several years ago???? All AI did was drop some homophobic f-bombs on the crowd, have Bill Walton climb his Shyte on TV, and then start crying about the Indy fans. Suddenly the whole affair became the fault of the Indy fans.

Hmmm another case of the TV announcer ripping a player and then later the whole story gets flipped around. and once agian Indy fans get blamed...I'm surprised it wasn't the Indy fans that caused the fighting in the bleachers of Auburn Hills.

Hey Stern...bite me.

The reason Indiana is listed is because this is an NY paper, and they still haven't forgiven Indiana for fans calling Ewing a monkey.

Yes, I'm real sure that Conseco is worse than the Garden.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I really don't like David Stern. ***wipe.

mr oven cover

i think i'll post here just for my sig.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Let me add my own personal "**** YOU!!!!!" to David Stern. IF you know what's best for you, you will NEVER show your face in this state, you biased, pompous little prick. I have been saying for YEARS that Stern was biased against Indiana, and he has just further confirmed it. *******.

Not much disagreement in this thread.

Stern likely won't be coming to a Pacer game this season

It takes an AWFUL lot to get me to this point - particularly in my choice of words. But Stern has gone out of his way and overboard in the slander of Indiana and the Pacers. If the organization - including Mel and Herb don't feel exactly the same then something is missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck
    Not much disagreement in this thread.

Stern likely won't be coming to a Pacer game this season
    Yeah, but what's he gonna do in the Finals? Feign an illness and send Russ Granik instead?
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

I want to the Pacers to win the Championship that much more just to see Stern have to present us with the trophy.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadian
    I want to the Pacers to win the Championship that much more just to see Stern have to present us with the trophy.
    Yes. What's the over-under on how many cups of beer need to hit him before he goes after the fans? :-)

Wow. While I still think the idea that Stern hates the Pacers exclusively and is spending his days plotting ways to demolish them is pretty silly, this is pretty irritating. The comment "But I thought it was more important to penalize the players" most of all.

IndyToad
    The coldest tasting

Thumbs down Re: Stern officially not fining the Pistons organization

I'm not sure if I've said it these past few weeks or not, but I will now. **** you, Stern.

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    Yeah, but what's he gonna do in the Finals? Feign an illness and send Russ Granik instead?
    Super Bowl XLI Champions