Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35

Thread: Paul George coming starting to emerge

  1. #1
    THE WITCH IS DEAD!!! Coopdog23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Da Bank
    Posts
    2,889

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Paul George coming starting to emerge

    Paul is average 20+ points in the last few games and along with that the Pacers are winning. This hopefully is a sign of things to come for them.
    "We want Miami"

  2. #2
    Member pacers_heath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Naperville, IL
    Posts
    342
    Mood

    Default Re: Paul George coming starting to emerge

    while I agree with what you are saying I think your username should be changed to CaptainObvious23
    Last edited by pacers_heath; 12-06-2012 at 11:53 AM.

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to pacers_heath For This Useful Post:


  4. #3
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,628

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George coming starting to emerge

    Nice title. It's even better if you say it with a Russian accent.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Member Jrod Jones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Ann Arbor
    Posts
    170

    Default Re: Paul George coming starting to emerge

    I hate to be such a downer but...

    Paul George over his past 2 games (combined)

    FG 21/40 3pt 5/12 56points, 17 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 blocks, and 4 steals.

    Paul George in the 2 games before that (combined)

    FG 2/18 3pt 0/11 4points, 9 rebounds, 13 assists, 0 blocks, and 2 steals



    Maybe he should string a few games together before we start this conversation?

  7. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jrod Jones For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  8. #5
    Member yoadknux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,320

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George coming starting to emerge

    Way too soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Piston Prince
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Bobcat fans telling us to cheer up = epic fail season
    "Josh Smith Re-building the city of Detroit one brick at a time"

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    FREE LANCE MillerTime's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    4,825

    Default Re: Paul George coming starting to emerge

    Quote Originally Posted by Jrod Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate to be such a downer but...

    Paul George over his past 2 games (combined)

    FG 21/40 3pt 5/12 56points, 17 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 blocks, and 4 steals.

    Paul George in the 2 games before that (combined)

    FG 2/18 3pt 0/11 4points, 9 rebounds, 13 assists, 0 blocks, and 2 steals



    Maybe he should string a few games together before we start this conversation?
    Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Way too soon.
    My thoughts exactly. Almost any player in this league can put together 2 great games.

    Consistency is when PG does this 8 of out 10 games (at least).

    Nevertheless, PG is only 22 years old. He's still young - but playing exceptionally well.

    I hope we dont start hearing "trade Granger, we've got PG" again
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.



  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime For This Useful Post:


  12. #7
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,952
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George coming starting to emerge

    Quote Originally Posted by Jrod Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate to be such a downer but...

    Paul George over his past 2 games (combined)

    FG 21/40 3pt 5/12 56points, 17 rebounds, 7 assists, 2 blocks, and 4 steals.

    Paul George in the 2 games before that (combined)

    FG 2/18 3pt 0/11 4points, 9 rebounds, 13 assists, 0 blocks, and 2 steals



    Maybe he should string a few games together before we start this conversation?
    He's obviously inconsistent, noone can argue that, but a knock on him prior to the 30+ explosions recently and looking more assertive was that even though we believed he had potential he hadn't put together an entire game where he "dominated", and looked in control unless he was just hitting a lucky amount of 3's. The last two games were different, he was controlling the games for large stretches, he was attacking the basket with a purpose and scoring or creating easy shots for others, he was decisive in his moves, he knew what shot he wanted and didn't hesitate, be it midrange, drive and kick or whatever. He's shown all the skill necessary to be a 20+ scorer during the last two games, he can't do it consistently yet, but he absolutely has the ability, he can obviously drain 3's, which opens up alot, but he's been using his height and improved handles to get to the middle of the floor for mid ranged J's that no shooting guard can really bother at 6'9 and his arms, he's used the threat of a 3 to get into the lane and find open spot up guys or cutters and used his length to get the ball on the rim, after which good things tend to happen with rebounders on the floor like we have. I've seen him attack matchups against smaller guys by doing a little mid post move into a slight fade away taking advantage of his high release... These are winning moves, they aren't lucky or awkward like some of the stuff Tyler has thrown somehow through the hoop in the past, it's good stuff that can be the foundation of a consistent high caliber scoring repotoir, and moves that George should be able to consistently get, even against tough coverage.

    The best part is that the things he has been doing are things we've known he could do all along, but it seems like his mindset has been different the last two, there isn't the hesitation, there isn't the deferring even when he himself is the best option for the team, he hasn't been hanging his head when he misses a shot. It's exciting because his skill or physical talent has never been holding him back, and if he continues to be aggressive it could be a game changer for the team.

    I mean PG did average a respectable amount of points on a balanced team last year, and he did it efficiently, this year has been about adjusting to a more featured role, with more attention, an dthe other teams best perimeter defender riding you. Games like the last two illustrate that George certainly has the capability to step up and play like a star on the offensive side of the floor, and not just the defensive one. Noone is declaring he's going to average 20+ the rest of the season, but imo these last two games were the two best of his career, and it was his decisive presense that connected them thematically, it's very good news for Indy.

    Now he just needs to avoid completely dissapearing, we don't need 20+ from him every night, but lets see if he can put up at least 14-15 each night even if he isn't on fire, games like that in between great games like the last two, instead of peppered with nights of 0-5 points every once and a while would be great progress. I think George is finally "getting it" though. He's beginning to really see the connection between the Pacers' winning and his own assertiveness and fingerprint on the games. I've always believed PG to be a team guy first, if he thinks that not shooting and deferring on offense to focus on defense gives them the best chance to win, then that's what Paul is inclined to do, but if he's realizing that a more featured role for him offensively is what we need to win the most ball games, then I think we'll see a much more consistently aggressive PG looking for his own shot as well as creating for others off of his action. Vogel, I believe is a great guy for this particular situation, as his greatest strengths as a coach lie in motivating players and instilling drive and confidence in the people around him. I wouldn't be suprised to see PG play at a consistently high level for the majority of the rest of the season, it isn't that he put up two great games in a row in a box score sense (though i'm rather sure he's never done that before this either) it's the moxy and approach during those games that is exciting to me as a Pacers fan. Paul with that mindset is a guy that can be one of the best two way players in basketball. I believe that it was Naptown_Seth that was musing about how PG would just "get it" one day and start to perform consistently at a very high level, despite his previous inconsistencies, I think he's correct, but that was always how it was going to happen, as it isn't really ability that was in doubt, but the wherewithal to consistently apply his talent on a ball game when necessary.
    Last edited by daschysta; 12-06-2012 at 01:29 PM.

  13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to daschysta For This Useful Post:


  14. #8
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,952
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George coming starting to emerge

    Quote Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My thoughts exactly. Almost any player in this league can put together 2 great games.

    Consistency is when PG does this 8 of out 10 games (at least).

    Nevertheless, PG is only 22 years old. He's still young - but playing exceptionally well.

    I hope we dont start hearing "trade Granger, we've got PG" again

    I'm not sure that he needs to have 8 out of 10 games like the last two.

    What I do want to see is games like last nights and tuesdays bookended by "decent to good" performances (14-15 ppg on non-attrocious percentages) instead of by games like the previous two before the two stellar games he just had. That would be great progress and bode well for his development as a top offensive player. My optimistic expectation is we'll see PG average 17-18 ppg over the last few months of the season, score 20+ every few games but avoid the games where it seemed like PG decided the TV camera would steal his soul if he was caught doing something aggressive offensively to stand out.

    What everyone should be able to agree on is that it's certainly great that PG is showing flashes of all-star offensive ability for entire games as opposed to bits and pieces scattered throughout the schedule and practice, and whose only huge games were ones were he was unholy hot from behind the arc, which simply isn't going to happen more than every once and a while.

  15. #9
    THE WITCH IS DEAD!!! Coopdog23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Da Bank
    Posts
    2,889

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George coming starting to emerge

    Quote Originally Posted by pacers_heath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    while I agree with what you are saying I think your username should be changed to CaptainObvious23
    Think you need to chill
    "We want Miami"

  16. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,024

    Default Re: Paul George coming starting to emerge

    4 out of the last 9 games he has scored 20 or more.

  17. #11
    This must be a bad dream.
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Not really where I want to be.
    Posts
    1,369
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George coming starting to emerge

    I have to agree with Paul George coming starting to emerge - big time.

    Looking back at when the Pacers first got Reggie and how he developed, I know this may sound
    sacreligious, but it looks to me like PG is ahead of Reggie's curve at the same point of their
    development in several different areas.

    It is doubtful PG will have the longevity Reggie had (that is VERY rare), but if PG could just keep
    getting more and more of a killer "dagger to the heart" instinct, he may end up being the one of
    the best to ever wear a Pacers uniform.

    I have seen enough to be seriously convinced PG is indeed our new Reggie, and hopefully for a
    long time to come.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:


  19. #12
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,877
    Mood

    Default Re: Paul George coming starting to emerge

    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nice title. It's even better if you say it with a Russian accent.
    It's pretty much how Fez would describe childbirth.

  20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:


  21. #13
    Member Ace E.Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    5,214

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George coming starting to emerge

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    4 out of the last 9 games he has scored 20 or more.
    With games of 15, 12, 6, 4 and 0. Lol INCONSISTENT!!

  22. #14
    Member Johanvil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Athens, Greece
    Posts
    3,232

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George coming starting to emerge

    knee-jerk

  23. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,024

    Default Re: Paul George coming starting to emerge

    Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    With games of 15, 12, 6, 4 and 0. Lol INCONSISTENT!!
    Tell us something new. I don't think anyone on this board doesn't realize that time span includes a 4 point and 0 point games, but they might not realize how many 20+ games he has had recently.
    Last edited by Eleazar; 12-06-2012 at 06:08 PM.

  24. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,654

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George coming starting to emerge

    Isn't there some redundancy in the title?

  25. #17
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,195

    Default Re: Paul George coming starting to emerge

    When Paul averages 20PPG over the course of a couple months...we can say he's starting to emerge...assuming that means emerging as a star in the league. As long as he comes back with 2-12 game with 7 points every 3 or 4 games, he has not arrived. That's not what stars do.

  26. #18

    Default Re: Paul George coming starting to emerge

    let's see is Paul has scored 500 points by game 41. Anyone can score 20 pts once or twice or for a week. To be an NBA star, he needs to produce game in and game out, not once or twice a week. Wait and see how long it takes him to get 500 points before crowning him king.

  27. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,654

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul George coming starting to emerge

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When Paul averages 20PPG over the course of a couple months...we can say he's starting to emerge...assuming that means emerging as a star in the league. As long as he comes back with 2-12 game with 7 points every 3 or 4 games, he has not arrived. That's not what stars do.
    So, according to your definition, can we assume that you consider Lillard to be a "star"?

  28. #20

    Default Re: Paul George coming starting to emerge

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    When Paul averages 20PPG over the course of a couple months...we can say he's starting to emerge...assuming that means emerging as a star in the league. As long as he comes back with 2-12 game with 7 points every 3 or 4 games, he has not arrived. That's not what stars do.
    I would say he's arrived at that point.

  29. #21

    Default Re: Paul George coming starting to emerge

    Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    let's see is Paul has scored 500 points by game 41. Anyone can score 20 pts once or twice or for a week. To be an NBA star, he needs to produce game in and game out, not once or twice a week. Wait and see how long it takes him to get 500 points before crowning him king.
    Patience. It might not happen this year, but it will happen.

  30. #22

    Default Re: Paul George coming starting to emerge

    Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Patience. It might not happen this year, but it will happen.
    it had better happen this year. He has 285 pts already. Actually my number was too low. The question should be how long it takes him to get to 1000 points. In other words, can he produce game after game. Lots of guys can score for a game or two. To be a star, he needs to generate numbers.

  31. #23
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,081

    Default Re: Paul George coming starting to emerge

    I'm not so much looking for 20 point games as I am a consistent tendency to take good shots, penetrate, get to the rim, draw fouls, etc.

    If he does all this and goes 3-12 and scores 10 points once in a while, I won't be too upset. Because if he does the right things, he will end up averaging around 6-12 and 16-18 or so points and a healthy number of assists. That's what we need from him.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  33. #24
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,195

    Default Re: Paul George coming starting to emerge

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So, according to your definition, can we assume that you consider Lillard to be a "star"?
    No, but I would have to say he's emerging...at least offensively. The young man is Paul's age yet is only in his first year...and has far more to show for it.

  34. #25
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,837

    Default Re: Paul George coming starting to emerge

    Quote Originally Posted by RamBo_Lamar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have to agree with Paul George coming starting to emerge - big time.
    Interesting post, but hard to agree with a statement as puzzling as this, no?
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

Similar Threads

  1. Breakout Coming for Indy’s Paul George
    By 90'sNBARocked in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-14-2012, 06:48 PM
  2. Article: Paul George Puts Pressure on Paul George
    By Eddie Gill in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-02-2012, 08:29 PM
  3. Roy Hibbert vs Paul George vs George Hill
    By AugustinGrangerHill in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 07-18-2012, 09:45 PM
  4. Maybe we should take a look at Paul George starting.
    By hoops_guy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 01-15-2011, 09:02 PM
  5. Replies: 58
    Last Post: 06-28-2010, 09:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •