Announcement

Collapse

The Rules of Pacers Digest

Hello everyone,

Whether your are a long standing forum member or whether you have just registered today, it's a good idea to read and review the rules below so that you have a very good idea of what to expect when you come to Pacers Digest.

A quick note to new members: Your posts will not immediately show up when you make them. An administrator has to approve at least your first post before the forum software will later upgrade your account to the status of a fully-registered member. This usually happens within a couple of hours or so after your post(s) is/are approved, so you may need to be a little patient at first.

Why do we do this? So that it's more difficult for spammers (be they human or robot) to post, and so users who are banned cannot immediately re-register and start dousing people with verbal flames.

Below are the rules of Pacers Digest. After you have read them, you will have a very good sense of where we are coming from, what we expect, what we don't want to see, and how we react to things.

Rule #1

Pacers Digest is intended to be a place to discuss basketball without having to deal with the kinds of behaviors or attitudes that distract people from sticking with the discussion of the topics at hand. These unwanted distractions can come in many forms, and admittedly it can sometimes be tricky to pin down each and every kind that can rear its ugly head, but we feel that the following examples and explanations cover at least a good portion of that ground and should at least give people a pretty good idea of the kinds of things we actively discourage:

"Anyone who __________ is a liar / a fool / an idiot / a blind homer / has their head buried in the sand / a blind hater / doesn't know basketball / doesn't watch the games"

"People with intelligence will agree with me when I say that __________"

"Only stupid people think / believe / do ___________"

"I can't wait to hear something from PosterX when he/she sees that **insert a given incident or current event that will have probably upset or disappointed PosterX here**"

"He/she is just delusional"

"This thread is stupid / worthless / embarrassing"

"I'm going to take a moment to point and / laugh at PosterX / GroupOfPeopleY who thought / believed *insert though/belief here*"

"Remember when PosterX said OldCommentY that no longer looks good? "

In general, if a comment goes from purely on topic to something 'ad hominem' (personal jabs, personal shots, attacks, flames, however you want to call it, towards a person, or a group of people, or a given city/state/country of people), those are most likely going to be found intolerable.

We also dissuade passive aggressive behavior. This can be various things, but common examples include statements that are basically meant to imply someone is either stupid or otherwise incapable of holding a rational conversation. This can include (but is not limited to) laughing at someone's conclusions rather than offering an honest rebuttal, asking people what game they were watching, or another common problem is Poster X will say "that player isn't that bad" and then Poster Y will say something akin to "LOL you think that player is good". We're not going to tolerate those kinds of comments out of respect for the community at large and for the sake of trying to just have an honest conversation.

Now, does the above cover absolutely every single kind of distraction that is unwanted? Probably not, but you should by now have a good idea of the general types of things we will be discouraging. The above examples are meant to give you a good feel for / idea of what we're looking for. If something new or different than the above happens to come along and results in the same problem (that being, any other attitude or behavior that ultimately distracts from actually just discussing the topic at hand, or that is otherwise disrespectful to other posters), we can and we will take action to curb this as well, so please don't take this to mean that if you managed to technically avoid saying something exactly like one of the above examples that you are then somehow off the hook.

That all having been said, our goal is to do so in a generally kind and respectful way, and that doesn't mean the moment we see something we don't like that somebody is going to be suspended or banned, either. It just means that at the very least we will probably say something about it, quite possibly snipping out the distracting parts of the post in question while leaving alone the parts that are actually just discussing the topics, and in the event of a repeating or excessive problem, then we will start issuing infractions to try to further discourage further repeat problems, and if it just never seems to improve, then finally suspensions or bans will come into play. We would prefer it never went that far, and most of the time for most of our posters, it won't ever have to.

A slip up every once and a while is pretty normal, but, again, when it becomes repetitive or excessive, something will be done. Something occasional is probably going to be let go (within reason), but when it starts to become habitual or otherwise a pattern, odds are very good that we will step in.

There's always a small minority that like to push people's buttons and/or test their own boundaries with regards to the administrators, and in the case of someone acting like that, please be aware that this is not a court of law, but a private website run by people who are simply trying to do the right thing as they see it. If we feel that you are a special case that needs to be dealt with in an exceptional way because your behavior isn't explicitly mirroring one of our above examples of what we generally discourage, we can and we will take atypical action to prevent this from continuing if you are not cooperative with us.

Also please be aware that you will not be given a pass simply by claiming that you were 'only joking,' because quite honestly, when someone really is just joking, for one thing most people tend to pick up on the joke, including the person or group that is the target of the joke, and for another thing, in the event where an honest joke gets taken seriously and it upsets or angers someone, the person who is truly 'only joking' will quite commonly go out of his / her way to apologize and will try to mend fences. People who are dishonest about their statements being 'jokes' do not do so, and in turn that becomes a clear sign of what is really going on. It's nothing new.

In any case, quite frankly, the overall quality and health of the entire forum's community is more important than any one troublesome user will ever be, regardless of exactly how a problem is exhibiting itself, and if it comes down to us having to make a choice between you versus the greater health and happiness of the entire community, the community of this forum will win every time.

Lastly, there are also some posters, who are generally great contributors and do not otherwise cause any problems, who sometimes feel it's their place to provoke or to otherwise 'mess with' that small minority of people described in the last paragraph, and while we possibly might understand why you might feel you WANT to do something like that, the truth is we can't actually tolerate that kind of behavior from you any more than we can tolerate the behavior from them. So if we feel that you are trying to provoke those other posters into doing or saying something that will get themselves into trouble, then we will start to view you as a problem as well, because of the same reason as before: The overall health of the forum comes first, and trying to stir the pot with someone like that doesn't help, it just makes it worse. Some will simply disagree with this philosophy, but if so, then so be it because ultimately we have to do what we think is best so long as it's up to us.

If you see a problem that we haven't addressed, the best and most appropriate course for a forum member to take here is to look over to the left of the post in question. See underneath that poster's name, avatar, and other info, down where there's a little triangle with an exclamation point (!) in it? Click that. That allows you to report the post to the admins so we can definitely notice it and give it a look to see what we feel we should do about it. Beyond that, obviously it's human nature sometimes to want to speak up to the poster in question who has bothered you, but we would ask that you try to refrain from doing so because quite often what happens is two or more posters all start going back and forth about the original offending post, and suddenly the entire thread is off topic or otherwise derailed. So while the urge to police it yourself is understandable, it's best to just report it to us and let us handle it. Thank you!

All of the above is going to be subject to a case by case basis, but generally and broadly speaking, this should give everyone a pretty good idea of how things will typically / most often be handled.

Rule #2

If the actions of an administrator inspire you to make a comment, criticism, or express a concern about it, there is a wrong place and a couple of right places to do so.

The wrong place is to do so in the original thread in which the administrator took action. For example, if a post gets an infraction, or a post gets deleted, or a comment within a larger post gets clipped out, in a thread discussing Paul George, the wrong thing to do is to distract from the discussion of Paul George by adding your off topic thoughts on what the administrator did.

The right places to do so are:

A) Start a thread about the specific incident you want to talk about on the Feedback board. This way you are able to express yourself in an area that doesn't throw another thread off topic, and this way others can add their two cents as well if they wish, and additionally if there's something that needs to be said by the administrators, that is where they will respond to it.

B) Send a private message to the administrators, and they can respond to you that way.

If this is done the wrong way, those comments will be deleted, and if it's a repeating problem then it may also receive an infraction as well.

Rule #3

If a poster is bothering you, and an administrator has not or will not deal with that poster to the extent that you would prefer, you have a powerful tool at your disposal, one that has recently been upgraded and is now better than ever: The ability to ignore a user.

When you ignore a user, you will unfortunately still see some hints of their existence (nothing we can do about that), however, it does the following key things:

A) Any post they make will be completely invisible as you scroll through a thread.

B) The new addition to this feature: If someone QUOTES a user you are ignoring, you do not have to read who it was, or what that poster said, unless you go out of your way to click on a link to find out who it is and what they said.

To utilize this feature, from any page on Pacers Digest, scroll to the top of the page, look to the top right where it says 'Settings' and click that. From the settings page, look to the left side of the page where it says 'My Settings', and look down from there until you see 'Edit Ignore List' and click that. From here, it will say 'Add a Member to Your List...' Beneath that, click in the text box to the right of 'User Name', type in or copy & paste the username of the poster you are ignoring, and once their name is in the box, look over to the far right and click the 'Okay' button. All done!

Rule #4

Regarding infractions, currently they carry a value of one point each, and that point will expire in 31 days. If at any point a poster is carrying three points at the same time, that poster will be suspended until the oldest of the three points expires.

Rule #5

When you share or paste content or articles from another website, you must include the URL/link back to where you found it, who wrote it, and what website it's from. Said content will be removed if this doesn't happen.

An example:

If I copy and paste an article from the Indianapolis Star website, I would post something like this:

http://www.linktothearticlegoeshere.com/article
Title of the Article
Author's Name
Indianapolis Star

Rule #6

We cannot tolerate illegal videos on Pacers Digest. This means do not share any links to them, do not mention any websites that host them or link to them, do not describe how to find them in any way, and do not ask about them. Posts doing anything of the sort will be removed, the offenders will be contacted privately, and if the problem becomes habitual, you will be suspended, and if it still persists, you will probably be banned.

The legal means of watching or listening to NBA games are NBA League Pass Broadband (for US, or for International; both cost money) and NBA Audio League Pass (which is free). Look for them on NBA.com.

Rule #7

Provocative statements in a signature, or as an avatar, or as the 'tagline' beneath a poster's username (where it says 'Member' or 'Administrator' by default, if it is not altered) are an unwanted distraction that will more than likely be removed on sight. There can be shades of gray to this, but in general this could be something political or religious that is likely going to provoke or upset people, or otherwise something that is mean-spirited at the expense of a poster, a group of people, or a population.

It may or may not go without saying, but this goes for threads and posts as well, particularly when it's not made on the off-topic board (Market Square).

We do make exceptions if we feel the content is both innocuous and unlikely to cause social problems on the forum (such as wishing someone a Merry Christmas or a Happy Easter), and we also also make exceptions if such topics come up with regards to a sports figure (such as the Lance Stephenson situation bringing up discussions of domestic abuse and the law, or when Jason Collins came out as gay and how that lead to some discussion about gay rights).

However, once the discussion seems to be more/mostly about the political issues instead of the sports figure or his specific situation, the thread is usually closed.

Rule #8

We prefer self-restraint and/or modesty when making jokes or off topic comments in a sports discussion thread. They can be fun, but sometimes they derail or distract from a topic, and we don't want to see that happen. If we feel it is a problem, we will either delete or move those posts from the thread.

Rule #9

Generally speaking, we try to be a "PG-13" rated board, and we don't want to see sexual content or similarly suggestive content. Vulgarity is a more muddled issue, though again we prefer things to lean more towards "PG-13" than "R". If we feel things have gone too far, we will step in.

Rule #10

We like small signatures, not big signatures. The bigger the signature, the more likely it is an annoying or distracting signature.

Rule #11

Do not advertise anything without talking about it with the administrators first. This includes advertising with your signature, with your avatar, through private messaging, and/or by making a thread or post.
See more
See less

Odd Thought's: Sent the Blazers packing up the Oregon Trail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Odd Thought's: Sent the Blazers packing up the Oregon Trail

I think this has gone on long enough now to say that I think we officially have turned the corner on the season. Doesn’t mean that we are now suddenly a contender for anything but when Danny went down we kept saying that we really needed to try and keep around .500% so that when he returned we could push for playoff position.

Well we are now one game above .500% and have a few games at home so that maybe we can keep at an even keel.

But more importantly than being at home, IMO, is the fact that we are actually playing at a much higher level than what we were to start off the season. Lot’s of individual players have stepped up to help but I think first and foremost Frank Vogel has to be credited with understanding that the offensive structure we were using to start the season was not working and starting with the Dallas game he changed the offense to better fit the players we have.

Sounds simple doesn’t it? But after years of watching a coach pound round pegs into square holes and refuse to adjust anything to fit the players having a coach who is not filled with his own hubris is both a blessing and fun to watch. The one thing that I have been impressed with over the past couple of games is the fact that our guards are now making quick purposeful cuts to the basket and our forwards are hitting them for some easy layups.

Frank still has an irritating knack for not calling a timeout fast enough to stop a run and at times his line in line out substitution pattern drives me insane. But overall I still think we have a winner on our hands here for a coach and this guy is far more than Just a motivational speaker.

I have found the one team that has a worse bench than ours, Portland’s bench flat out sucks. To the chagrin of the dozens of people in attendance to see Meyers Leonard’s play basketball he was totally worthless and did nothing other than provide a Tyler Hansbrough the opportunity to break out of his slump. I don’t know if it was visible on TV or not but Tyler was flat out beating on Leonard & Freeland in the first half. One time they both came to double him and both tried to foul him very hard and both walked away holding their Jaws while Tyler casually went to the free throw line.

Normally when our bench comes in I cringe and usually go on twitter to complain vehemently about them, but tonight I will say that in the first quarter our starters were flat and our backup big men came in and ignited a fire. Tyler by being Tyler (but actually scoring this time) and Ian continuing his series of great games that he has been stringing together.

After Friday’s game we will do our 20 game review but at game 19 I think we stand a lot better than we did at game 10. BTW as I was watching NBAtv they showed a graphic about teams that have played the most games on the road. Denver, Utah, Cleveland & Indiana have all played 12 games on the road so far, our road record of 5-7 was the best o f the four with Denver’s 4-8 coming in second.

Then Kenny Smith said “kudos to Indiana for doing it without their best player” which still makes me shake my head every time they say something like this. In the pre-season previews they had nothing good to say about Danny, EVER. But when he went down it was all love and kisses from them.

Speaking of Danny I don’t know if you guys saw this or not but at halftime Danny came out onto the court with the rest of the team and shot the ball all while wearing a suite and street shoes. No layups and no real elevation on his Jump shot but he was shooting (& more importantly hitting) and while I know we are nowhere near time for him to return I keep hoping that maybe close to the first of the year we can start hearing about him doing some full scale practices.

Let’s do grades tonight.

David West: B+

Started off slow and I mean really slow. Missed two early box outs that led to Portland getting the rebound and made a very slow switch in the post allowing Aldridge almost an uncontested layup. Went to the bench early, got an extended rest thanks to Tyler being a human Tornado, and came back in playing at a much higher level. In fact ended the game with what I consider a more efficient game than what Aldridge did considering he played almost 5 less min. and shot a much higher % from the field and grabbed the same amount of rebounds. Didn’t get to the free throw line though, which is actually kind of odd for him. But overall he has been carrying us for quite awhile so we’ll give him a break on that.

Paul George: A+

I’m giving him the plus tonight from one of the extra pluses he got from last night’s game. Active, aggressive, assertive and any other A words you can think to use here. These past two games have by far and away been the best of his entire career. His Dallas and New Orleans games were fine but neither represented a sustainable level of play. You are not going to be able to hit that many three’s every night. But this, this style of play can be done every night without fail. Since I didn’t get to say anything about last nights game I want to include here that while his scoring was outstanding and game saving for us it was his smothering defense that left me breathless. His defense tonight was good as well but what he did against Deng was superb. His trade value will never be higher, sorry couldn’t resist.

Roy Hibbert: C

Sigh…. I’m watching Kareem Abdul-Jabbar on NBAtv talk about the sky hook and how to play in the post. Now my mind is flashing back to the 8 foot sky hook air ball Roy threw up. Still plays good solid defense every game so at least there is that but my God his shot has gone to never land or someplace. For the season he is now shooting .383% which is amazing for a center to shoot who mostly plays in the post. I know it’s mostly mental with him and someday soon this will all turn around. In fact if you think about it with Roy slumping, Paul having been in a slump, our bench in general slumping on offense it’s amazing that we are now above .500%

Lance Stephenson: C-

He is so lucky that Frank is his coach and not you know who. I’m telling you a lot of coach’s would not have tolerated that opening salvo where he missed two three’s (both were open so they were not bad shots) but then ran a fast break where he slopped up a horrid shot causing a turn over. He would have been benched and never seen again. But Frank let him play out of it and he eventually got turned around a little bit. Although I will tell you Frank gave him the first dirty look I’ve ever seen Frank give a player on the bench when he came out. Decent defense for the most part, only got lost twice that I counted and he was doing some real work on the boards. He’s an odd duck in that he may be to willing of a passer and passes up shots but then I also wonder if he may not be a ball hog if his shots start dropping, with him you get the feeling it could go either way. Still always fun when he is in because like that mythical box of chocolates you never know what you are going to get.

George Hill: B

This is a tough one really and kind of a head scratcher. I feel like a B is probably too high for this game because watching it I don’t feel like he had that great of a game, but then looking at the box sore you have to say he had a good game. This was a quiet 18 point game; in fact I didn’t realize he scored 18 points till the end of the game. He did make a sweet cut to the rim for a dunk from a beautiful feed from Paul. I know Damian Lillard was causing him fits all night, but after watching him play for the first time I can tell you that he will be causing lots of people fits for a very long time.

Tyler Hansbrough: B+

Obviously Tyler made the west coast trip and forgot to pack his red bull. It was a tale of two halves for him though as in the first half he was a dynamo who the Blazers had no answer for. By the second half he was coming down from his energy drink high. He was putting on the bruises tonight though, whew. Not only did he get blasted in the double team but Leonard also tried to straight up foul Tyler and once again left holding his chin/Jaw area. He and Tyler also exchanged words after that incident.

Ian Mahinmi: A-

Another in the line of very solid contributions from Ian on both sides of the court. The offense he is bringing from the backup 5 spot, well actually it’s better than the offense we got from the starting 5 spot tonight. What is great about him is that he is not a one dimensional offensive player and he is now demonstrating an ability to drive that he didn’t show us a lot of in the pre-season. He could be a little better on the boards but he also had one of those highlight blocked shots at the rim tonight as well.

Gerald Green: B+

Very active defense tonight from Gerald including one time when the Blazers were trying to inbound that his length and leaping ability caused a deflection that cost the Blazers about a second on the shot clock. Not earth shattering I know but it was enough to cause them to have to rush the shot after still not getting a clear inbound pass. Can’t say I’m ever a fan of anyone shooting 5 of their 8 shots from the three point line but he did hit two of them. Still can’t pass worth a damn but overall he was a net positive on the floor tonight.

Sam Young: C

Not really sure what he did other than rebound a few shots. Not a bad game but he really wasn’t very active on the floor.

D. J. Augustin: C-

My expectations are pretty low for him and he met my expectations. His shot apparently is hanging out with Roy’s shot.

Good win for the team, good two weeks really from the team. If we can keep Paul at this level we will be more than fine, but in all honesty he doesn’t have to play this well every night for us to keep winning. I mean it would be great if he did but if he drops back down to 14-18 ppg that will be fine as long as he is aggressive and not settling for a lot of three’s.

I wonder how well will match up with Denver.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Re: Odd Thought's: Sent the Blazers packing up the Oregon Trail

I really think we will see consistency on the offensive end. If we limit our turnovers and get to the FT it shouldn't matter if we hover around the 42% fg rate. Our defense will keep us in games for the most part.

DJ will not exit his slump. His defense aptitude is 8th grade level. He may have gotten a pass on losing teams, but with a playoff team this is not good enough.

Think about that. DJ started in the NBA last year for the Bobcats. That is how bad they were. And now look at them. Without DJ they could at least double their wins from the previous year.

Where is our Derek Fisher?

OJ Mayo would have been nice instead of him and Green. Seriously OJ is a top 10 scorer in the NBA. And he is doing it efficiently. We really missed out three times to get him.

Comment

I do not understand Augustin. I truly thought he was better than this, certainly at least an adequate backup point guard - is what I thought we were getting. Maybe he only had good games against the Pacers. Or maybe he played much better for the Bobcats. I don't know. But I think if the first 19 games are any indication, he just isn't very good.

And even after drastically lowering my expecations on Green, I still see a player that baffles me. He might have the lowest Basketball IQ I have ever seen. But he does have some talent and skills - nice shooter and great athlete.
      Last edited by Unclebuck; 12-06-2012, 10:07 AM.

Comment

I'm not expecting that level of play out of Ian everynight, but I don't see why he can't average 8/5. He's at 5/4 right now and really struggled there for a while.

By the end of his 4yr deal, he will have been an absolute steal for that cheap of a contract.
        Just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right.” ― Ricky Gervais.

Comment

The beginning of this season was strange. We were healthy, had high hopes, were returning all of our starters. Then Granger goes out for 3 months just before the start of the season. Okay, so what, he misses time here and there, we never seem to miss a beat.

Except, we did.

The season started and inexplicably, we lost all sense of mojo. Couple that with the fact that we had a very aggressive schedule to start off with... playing more games than anyone, and most of them on the road. No one seemed to take note of that at all, but it was excruciatingly important. This team is full of good coaches and good players, who are fully capable of fixing and adjusting things --- and who had gotten into a funk. They needed some practice time to straighten things out, and they just weren't getting it. They were hopping on the plane to the next loss, unable to really hit the practice courts and fix their issues.

Everyone freaked out. Fire Vogel, blow up the entire roster, fire Walsh.

I knew the personel of this team and what they were made of, and I just knew they were not the types to just fold it up and give up. I had a feeling the players themselves were just as upset and looking for a solution as the fans were. I knew they'd figure it out. I looked at the schedule and saw that we had a "lightening" of the schedule coming in mid-November and I thought, "That's when they get a chance to breathe, hit the practice courts, make some offensive adjustments, and they'll get this ship righted."

Plus... I looked at the other areas of their game and realized that as bad as it had seemed so far... they were really, really good at defense and blocks and rebounding --- pretty much 75% of basketball. That was a good sign. They just needed to get their mojo back on offense and they'd come into their own down the stretch. They had lost a bunch of very close games --- they weren't getting blown out (often). They were just a few plays away from having a much better record.

The funk couldn't last forever, because we have a few guys on this team who are absolute ballers --- Hill and West are killers down the stretch. PG is becoming a two-way 3-quarter workhorse. Hansbrough is playing like I have always wished he'd play. Stephenson is finally becoming a positive factor.

Hibbert has been beastly on the defensive and rebound front. Yea, his offensive game hasn't been pretty, but I think he'll work it out, and as long as he's doing his thing on the defensive side of the court, I'm okay with it. Once he gets that straightened out... and Granger returns, hopefully renewed, this team is going to be pretty damn scary.

They're playing some decent ball. They're finishing games and making plays down the stretch. They're doing pretty much what we all know they are capable of doing. They just had to find their way.
          Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 12-06-2012, 11:07 AM.
          There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Comment

Originally posted by Unclebuck View Post
            And even after drastically lowering my expecations on Green, I still see a player that baffles me. He might have the lowest Basketball IQ I have ever seen. But he does have some talent and skills - nice shooter and great athlete.
            Green made one of the more baffling mistakes I've seen. In either the third or fourth quarter, Aldridge (I think) was taking an 8 foot jumper with West on him and Gerald was guarding Luke Babbitt on the low block. As LaMarcus shot, Green left Babbitt wide open to attempt an ill-fated block attempt. He got way up there, but had zero chance of getting to the ball. Babbitt got the rebound and easily put the two back in. I'd never seen someone leave their man wide open under the rim for such an infeasible act.

Comment

Only managed to catch bits and pieces of the game last night, but i've been really pleased with the performance of late. I'll give Hibbert this, he is turning into one of the best defensive centers in the league. I don't think I've ever seen anyone miss so many sitters at the rim, but it's worth it with what he gives us on the defensive end.

Also think Lance finds himself in a weird spot (almost like George a couple years ago) where he's not sure when to defer and when to try and make a play. I did see the drive you talked about, and honestly, didn't think it was that bad. Sure he tried to force it and the end result was a missed shot, but it was definitely no worse than many Paul George turnover drives I've seen this year. I think with a little more control he gets the foul called.

All in all, I think the Pacers are on the up. As long as a team plays good defense they will give themselves a shot to do well, and even at our worst this year, the defensive effort has been good. Quick shout out to Ian who has impressed me lately.
              Danger Zone

Comment

Obviously Ian, Young and Green have found their game and their role on the team. All 3 have now had more than one comfortable, confident game. This is a major factor in the overall improved look the team has.

I think of Peck and I tied together on the whole Ian front, and I think we are fully justified now in our pre-season raves. He's fluid and smooth with his movements. His footwork is good as is his balance on both ends, normally at least. He has strength, he has shooting touch. Only his mishandling of the ball holds him back at this point. It's just taken some time to settle in for him, and he'll probably still be up and down during the year.

But I'll bet by the end of this season Ian looks a lot better than he does even now. To me he's a player that's been slowly improving the last few years with slight minutes increases and is now on the verge of getting the kind of "bingo" moment minutes he needs. Clearly he knows that he can drive and shoot, he doesn't hesitate going into either situation. That's half the battle - confidence.

If Roy could make normal close shots and DJ could get his offense up enough to come close to off-setting his terrible defense, this team would move back to contender status. As it stands now there are just too many variants to the offense that keeps them from winning at a reliable rate. Paul, David, and George are pretty reliable, but not perfectly. Only West has come close to true high output consistancy, and a team needs at least 3-4 guys it can rely on. Maybe 2 specific and then a certainty that 2 out of another 5 will always have strong nights. That's still not quite true.

On the other hand, the defense could not be more proven than it is now. There is no surprise with the FG% or PPG you see opponents putting up. And really they aren't even smothering people, this isn't playoff intensity. As Peck mentioned, you have West missing some things, we see Paul and George making mistakes, and even Roy isn't 100% always on with his defense.

It's just a case of having so many defenders and so much good work that on a typical play the odds are a team is going to find itself facing a well contested shot. In fact I'd say that if the offense could improve and reduce the number of TO based or long rebound miss based early transition scores that they give up, you'd really see a dramatic turn in the Points For vs Against. Just a few more points on offense, a few less TOs, and suddenly you take away 3-4 other FGMs and drop PPG by 3-4 (some O boards still get them points after misses) and FG% by 5 points maybe too.

Comment

What is upsetting to me about Roy's shooting is it appears (on tv) that he often rushes, or doesn't even have a good indication of where the rim is when he shoots. My theory is that Roy feels he needs to shoot (in a good way, like he wants to help because he's confident in his game) leading him to shoot when it's clearly not the best shot for him or the team. Roy is an above average passer, and I think he needs to know his positioning better to make the correct decision.

David West dropped a little jewel in his court-side interview after the Lakers game I believe, he said "I only take shots I practice." It's an incredible philosophy, that kinda blew my mind. Now if he can only instill that in Roy. I don't mind players slumping through "normal" shots, but Roy throws up some crazy stuff.
                  Last edited by focused444; 12-06-2012, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Roy's problem is his mechanics. His drop set follows his head instead of the other way around. His hook shot is disheveled because his outside foot (the foot farthest away from the bucket) is swinging away from the rim, and sometimes it isn't even set as he lifts. He is hurrying his shot by not establishing better foot work. He cannot just rely on his size. He has to position his body to absorb the contact by moving the outside foot closer to his inside foot, thus enabling him to rise toward the goal. Instead when he lifts the power is positioned on his outside shoulder causing him to lose trajectory and coordination

He needs to get back to the basics.

Comment

It has gotten to the point where I am surprised when one of Roy's shots actually goes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Isaac View Post
                        Green made one of the more baffling mistakes I've seen. In either the third or fourth quarter, Aldridge (I think) was taking an 8 foot jumper with West on him and Gerald was guarding Luke Babbitt on the low block. As LaMarcus shot, Green left Babbitt wide open to attempt an ill-fated block attempt. He got way up there, but had zero chance of getting to the ball. Babbitt got the rebound and easily put the two back in. I'd never seen someone leave their man wide open under the rim for such an infeasible act.
                        I was at the game--Green actually got a piece of that shot and that's why it landed right into Babbitt's hands. That wasn't a dumb play at all seeing how Aldridge basically had a layup (it was an in-between hook from about 5 feet out)

Comment

I really think Roy rushes his shot because he usually takes so long getting to the point of putting it up (waiting for a defensive or offense movement). When he makes his decisions at the pace of the offense his shooting is in rhythm. When he is waiting for something to happen before shooting, I think he rushes because he KNOWS it took time to get to the decision and he has to shoot before something happens (defender gets in position, 3-second violation, whatever).
                          BillS

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
                          Or throw in a first-round pick and flip it for a max-level point guard...

Comment

I personally think we should look to reinsert Green into the starting lineup, reduce the rotation to 9, and have Lance be the backup point. This allows Lance to be more aggressive looking for his shot (like we saw earlier in the season), allows him to continue his chemistry pairing with Tyler, and gives us a chance to utilize Green as another long defender/3 pt shooter within the starting lineup.

It also reduces D.J's minutes to minimal/emergency status.

Comment

Lance has looked really good as a shooting guard, I don't know why you would want to shove him back into the PG spot.

Comment

Working...
                              X