Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Trail Blazers postgame

Default Re: Pacers/Trail Blazers postgame

I guess I was wrong about PG24 laying a dud tonight. Oh well I'm happy I was. Hopefully he keeps it going.

Also no Lance again late in the game.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.ThunderMakeR For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.ThunderMakeR View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess I was wrong about PG24 laying a dud tonight. Oh well I'm happy I was. Hopefully he keeps it going.

Also no Lance again late in the game.
    Lance got hurt early in the game. He played some, but it looked like things were tight-ing up late. He was standing at the end of the pacer bench like Jeff Foster used to when he played. Leg, back something. I couldn't tell.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    Lance got hurt early in the game. He played some, but it looked like things were tight-ing up late. He was standing at the end of the pacer bench like Jeff Foster used to when he played. Leg, back something. I couldn't tell.
    I didn't notice that, though in this game I didn't think he was more effective than Young or Green. I think Green actually played the best tonight and the other 2 were kind of middling.

I thought I saw a slight limp from him during the last time out.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    I didn't notice that, though in this game I didn't think he was more effective than Young or Green. I think Green actually played the best tonight and the other 2 were kind of middling.
    I really liked what I saw from Gerald Green tonight. He was focused on defense. He made good rotations. He really helped out in the paint. And had about 5 or 10 seconds of awesome individual defense to force a 24-second violation. Plus he really used his size on offense instead of just standing at the 3 point line.

I really liked what I saw from Gerald Green tonight. He was focused on defense. He made good rotations. He really helped out in the paint. And had about 5 or 10 seconds of awesome individual defense to force a 24-second violation. Plus he really used his size on offense instead of just standing at the 3 point line.
    Greens defense was something to talk about. He was fantastic. I'd love to see him play that kind of game against Miami in the playoffs. He was making everything difficult and really contesting shots.
    Last edited by Jon Theodore; 12-06-2012 at 12:43 AM. Reason: sensi star
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Theodore For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

One of the things I love most about that box score is the free throw percentage. It's about time.

There was a lot of carrying on in the game thread about putting Lance back in - guess a lot of people missed that he was hurting.
    Last edited by gummy; 12-06-2012 at 12:51 AM.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I'm thinking the same thing, hopefully it doesn't become a Harden situation were they have to trade him because they can't pay him.

Can anybody explain how that works? Hibbert 14mil, Hill 8mil, West 12mil?, Ian 4mil, Green 3 mil and Danny 14, can the Pacers pay Paul George anything close to what Batum is making?

A total of 57mil for all those players mentioned without Paul George.
    Danny's deal is off the books and West's is as well if we want it to be right? So I think it's just matter of trying to balance the beans as it were. Here's the thing Paul is going to get at least George Hill money even if he is just doing his 15, 7, 3 with really good defense act so we need t okeep that in mind.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Danny's deal is off the books and West's is as well if we want it to be right? So I think it's just matter of trying to balance the beans as it were. Here's the thing Paul is going to get at least George Hill money even if he is just doing his 15, 7, 3 with really good defense act so we need t okeep that in mind.
    If Paul's numbers go up he is going to get more than 8mil a year for sure, for example Danny got 5/60 while averaging 19 and 6, I think Paul George can finish the year averaging 17 and 7, he is going to get Batum kind of money in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    Is this the first time Paul George has had two games in a row at this level?
    First consecutive 20 point games.

Paul George is playing good at a position many thought he wasn't able to play at, by the way his value has never been this high.
    I know your not big on PER (me neither), but I think it's telling just how much higher it is when he's at SF compared to SG both offensively and defensively this season. I've been saying it for a year, but nobody wants to hear it... Paul is a SF, and in no way do he and Danny compliment each other on the offensive end.

He's so talented. I wish they'd give him more minutes (DJ's preferably) so he can get comfortable in this offense. I liked the post up even though he missed. Frank should post up the wings more often. He, Lance, and Paul all should get a couple a game.

one other thing... Croshere made a good point during the game that I hadn't thought of concerning Paul's inconsistency. Paul's facing the other teams best defender every game now compared to before when Danny drew that assignment. Here's just the last 5 games... Artest/Salmons/Barnes/Deng/Batum. Those guys can play some D.
    Last edited by CJ Jones; 12-06-2012 at 01:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    I know your not big on PER (me neither), but I think it's telling just how much higher it is when he's at SF compared to SG both offensively and defensively this season. I've been saying it for a year, but nobody wants to hear it... Paul is a SF, and in no way do he and Danny compliment each other on the offensive end.
    Regardless of what "position" George is slotted in, he plays the same way. I would like to know in what way he and Granger don't compliment each other. They both can shoot from midrange, they both can shoot from 3, they both can drive to the basket effectively (when they feel like). The only difference is that Granger has a legitimate post game, which puts him clearly into the SF role. George has a lot of guard tendencies.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm thinking the same thing, hopefully it doesn't become a Harden situation were they have to trade him because they can't pay him.

Can anybody explain how that works? Hibbert 14mil, Hill 8mil, West 12mil?, Ian 4mil, Green 3 mil and Danny 14, can the Pacers pay Paul George anything close to what Batum is making?

In the Harden case, they had to trade him because they had players better than him making more than him. Paul's up in two years, and by that time he's either our best player and we do whatever it takes to keep him or we blow it up.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    And his PER's not as high as last year when he was our full time SG. Our starting lineup last year was WAY too good to say Paul and Danny don't compliment each other.

I buy into the position revolution that's going on right now, anyway. We have a PG, two wings and two post players.
    Last edited by Goyle; 12-06-2012 at 01:45 AM.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:

Mood

If Paul's numbers go up he is going to get more than 8mil a year for sure, for example Danny got 5/60 while averaging 19 and 6, I think Paul George can finish the year averaging 17 and 7, he is going to get Batum kind of money in my opinion.
    If George is showing that kind of potential we're almost certain to keep him, he'll be RFA, he's ours if we choose. If he ends the year at 17/7 while raising his efficiency i'm more than prepared to offer him that kind of money, those are excellent numbers for a 22 year old who still has so much potential. If George ends up a legitimate star there is no way we'd let him go in RFA, we'd move someone else if necessary, but likely wouldn't mind paying luxury tax for a time until we could reshuffle the team, we've done it before afterall, and for the sake of much worse players (dunleavey/murphy).

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

I was really looking forward to seeing Lillard play and he did not disappoint. He scored and dished in pretty much every way possible, directing the offense like a veteran. And he looks like he'll be at least an adequate defender. Not the amazing athleticism of a Rose (at least, was...) or an Irving, but certainly another in the line of very promising young point guards.

Ian and Tyler kind of kept us in the game offensively in the first half. Other than a couple of nice passes, Lance looked out of it. Hope he's not too hurt. Without the raggedness on the defensive rebounding, we win this by twenty.

Couple of good Western teams coming up. I'm excited to see if we (and especially Paul against Iggy and KD) can keep this up.

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    Regardless of what "position" George is slotted in, he plays the same way. I would like to know in what way he and Granger don't compliment each other. They both can shoot from midrange, they both can shoot from 3, they both can drive to the basket effectively (when they feel like). The only difference is that Granger has a legitimate post game, which puts him clearly into the SF role. George has a lot of guard tendencies.
    Because they do the same things. Paul and Granger both would be better off playing with a ball handler at the SG position. And yes, Granger at this point is the better post player, but he's not great at it. It's not like Paul couldn't become as good or probably even better if we asked him to. Danny's basically a jump shooter like Paul without the passing ability and with an even worse handle. They're redundant on the offensive end.

Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post

And his PER's not as high as last year when he was our full time SG
    . Our starting lineup last year was WAY too good to say Paul and Danny don't compliment each other.
    His defensive PER so far at SF is better then last years numbers at either position, he's playing great D at SF. His overall offensive PER isn't as good because of his struggles at SG. The numbers aren't up yet, but I'd assume after the last 2 games it's now over 17 at SF which would be better then last years SG number. He's doing this while drawing the other teams best defender, playing next to non scorers, and being terribly inconsistent . Evidence is beginning to mount that he's better at SF.

Anyone know where I can find what Paul's numbers look like when he's playing next to Lance?

That adds up to 55 million for those 6 (really 56 since Green is for 3.5 and Hibbert's deal is for almost 15 the year after Paul gets paid).

Danny's contract is done at the same time George hits restricted free agency. Unless Danny plays really, really well the next year and half, I don't think it's likely a 31 year old with potential knee issues will get 14 million per year. You're right though that it will be tight, and the Pacers would have to be very creative with the rest of their bench to make it work and stay under the luxury tax. I think the Pacers believe it will all work, and that cost certainty in future calculations is part of the reason they chose to sign Mahinmi/Green to so long of guaranteed deals in the first place.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Cubs231721 For This Useful Post:

They're starting to get on track now
    "We want Miami"

Banned
    Everywhere. I live in a big motorhome and I travel the entire country
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Coopdog23 View Post
    They're starting to get on track now
    Yes, they are and the gloom and doom folks have shut up a bit. They had adjustments to make with Granger being out and some new bench players. They will get on a roll now that they know they can beat anyone in the league. They aren't going to be the two or three seed so many over zealous fans thought they would be but they should get to the five or six seeds that some of us more reasonable fans thought they would be. They will have a tough time winning a round in the playoffs seeded that low but you never know. Howard got injured last year and that allowed them to win a series. Something like that could happen again. They are a super star or two from being contenders and they may never be able to sign or trade for one. Such is the lot of a small market team. I saw that only 11,000 plus attended last night's game... I hope they start building that fan base again..... ...

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    Don't get too high over the 2good performances in a row, it'll make you that more disappointed the next time he has a bad game. Just try to enjoy his contributions how he gives them--it's the best way to look at a young Inconsistent player like Paul.
    Please let me get too high about PG!!
    If he can consistently throw down 18-24 ppg, this team can start thinking about a 3-4 seed.
    IF THEY ACQUIRE BENCH IMPROVEMENT OVER AUGUSTIN AND YOUNG!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OlBlu View Post
    I saw that only 11,000 plus attended last night's game... I hope they start building that fan base again..... ...
    11,000+ against the Blazers on a Wednesday night? Not bad, actually, all things considered. Would have been sub-10,000 in previous years.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

billbradley

How about that pass through three defenders by PG?

I commented on the passing earlier, but after watching the game again when I got home from BLF, I think it's the biggest reason we're playing better. The ball is at least getting inside and passes are made hard with a purpose. Even when the team looks stagnant, they aren't just lobbing the ball around every other trip on offense.

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    11,000+ against the Blazers on a Wednesday night? Not bad, actually, all things considered. Would have been sub-10,000 in previous years.
    There were maybe 5,000 people in the building. Apparently, something like 265 of them were there to see Meyers Leonard.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to count55 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by greyhound80 View Post
    Please let me get too high about PG!!
    If he can consistently throw down 18-24 ppg, this team can start thinking about a 3-4 seed.
    IF THEY ACQUIRE BENCH IMPROVEMENT OVER AUGUSTIN AND YOUNG!
    I mean you can, but don't allow yourself to get too disappointed the next time he has a 6-pt, 3-13 lackadaisical type of game

I agree, just saying we know his base line is almsot certainly going to be above HIll's.

Quote Originally Posted by count55 View Post
    There were maybe 5,000 people in the building. Apparently, something like 265 of them were there to see Meyers Leonard.
    Such is the life of Illinois basketball fan, when Utah had Deron Williams and Dee Brown at the same time a few years ago it was the saddest thing I've ever seen.