Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul George Tonight

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Paul George Tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Paul is still figuring it out guys. Games like last night go a long way with things clicking for him. I saw him angry and determined last night. He can still develop that killer instinct that he showed last night.
    I agree. PG is only 22. He's exactly where he needs to be. I believe in 2 years he'll be where most people expect him to be now.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    I agree. PG is only 22. He's exactly where he needs to be. I believe in 2 years he'll be where most people expect him to be now.
    The irony will be George becoming the player we all hope to be but on a different team.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    The irony will be George becoming the player we all hope to be but on a different team.
    Not if they pay him. The Pacers are one of the best organizations in basketball to play for. The owner always treats the players fairly and we have/had a great front office.

The only way PG leaves is if the front office does not think he is worth the contract he is demanding or Paul pulls a Dwight Howard on us.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Went HAM
    "We want Miami"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Coopdog23 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Remember when we drafted Paul? You know that very young, late bloomer, raw kid that needed time to develop. Remember it was possibly going to take a few years before he even cracked the rotation.

Well Paul has advanced faster than anyone thought he could at the time. He sit on the bench the first 2 or 3 months of his career, He was starting by the end of his Rookie season (after Vogel took over). Year 2, He then had no training camp or real structured summer training because of the lockout. This season, with Danny being out, he has been asked to do much more than was originally expected of him.

He's been incredibly versatile, 9 3's in one game, 17 rebs in another game, a 9 assist game (How many players can even dream of doing that). He's been great at times and struggled at times, but he continues to grow and learn.

What will PG turn out to be, we'll just have to wait and see. Paul George is a long way off from the finished product, everyone needs to chill.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Mood

One possible wrinkle to how Paul does/does not get to the rim is that with his size and length, him getting a step or two inside the free throw line is akin to some little guards getting right in front of the rim, so long as he has a good look without a center waiting to swat him. Could be one of the reasons he doesn't kill himself to get right to the rim. Just a thought.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned

Almost 15 and 7 per game and good defense, what else can you hope from a guy that is only 22 years old? I'm good with Paul George so far.

Now with that said I hope he stays agressive and starts to win more games for the Pacers, and for those that keep crying every time Paul George has a bad game just think about how much worse the Pacers could have done in that draft if they had drafted Udoh, Wesley J, Aminu or even Gordon Hayward instead of Paul George, just think about it, the guy was an steal at that position, redoing that draft he is at least top 6.

loosing 9 out of 10 to fill your wishes? Seems like you have a selfish fetish you want to fill up.
    Yes! We are all frustrated, But it takes time. If you read an article about Paul this offseason,
    He doesn't like to step on peoples toes. Ever since HS and ever since Fresno, It's just the nature
    of the beast. Not untill he was handed the keys from his team and coach is where the chains were
    broken.. Indiana basketball(Since it's no longer smash mouth) Is all about team ball, We don't rely
    on one single player.. Yes even when Danny was in there. We all want George to repeat this greatness,
    Because I like you know he can. Problem is!?!?! He hasn't been handed the keys to the team, and he's
    inconsistent. He has all the tools in the world, Size, Speed and world class athleticism. But this team has 2-3
    Alpha Dogs that will not give up the keys, West is clearly the leader of this team. Granger is our most
    potent weapon and the soul of this team. He sets the tempo with his trash talking and his toughness.
    George Hill also looks to create for himself. But If you want George to take 20-30 shots a game and us lose
    then you are liking the wrong team. Follow the Lakers.

By me ^^

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    PG will be a restricted FA. At least we have the problem of having very good young player.

Would you prefer to have drafted Wesley Johnson?

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Almost 15 and 7 per game and good defense, what else can you hope from a guy that is only 22 years old? I'm good with Paul George so far.
    15 and 7 in itself is great, but I wish it was more consistent. I feel like an actual 15 and 7 every game would help more than 0 one night and 34 the next (although the two times he has went off this year we needed it and barely won).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    15 and 7 in itself is great, but I wish it was more consistent. I feel like an actual 15 and 7 every game would help more than 0 one night and 34 the next (although the two times he has went off this year we needed it and barely won).
    He is not the only one doing that though, West, Hill and him do that all the time, Hibbert is the only one that has been in sucking mode so he doesn't have multiple good games yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    His rebounding is a bit inconsistent, but I would kind of expect that from a SG/SF. His scoring though is pretty consistent around 12. I believe his average last year was 12, but probably not even close to as consistent as it is this year. So far he has 6 games where he scored over 14, and 3 games where he scored under 11.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    If Reggie got to the line 23 times he probably took a lot more than 25 shots. You just don't see them because missed shots when fouled don't show up on the stat sheet. Otherwise you are right though, George needs to learn how to draw fouls. At the same time though it would be hypocritical of most of the Pacers fan base to not admit that Reggie was a benefactor in getting superstar calls, even against other superstars such as Jordan.
    Another thing about Reggie was that, although he wasn't the greatest leaper or the strongest 2-guard, he was probably the fastest shooting guard in the league (maybe even all-time) of moving without the ball. Guys would often crash into him on the catch as they tried to keep up with him coming off of those curl, cuts, and screens. IMHO, he was much faster than Paul George is so he can't draw fouls quite the same way but he can learn to play through the contact or even initiate the way Reggie did. That and-1 play against Marko Bellinelli is the first time I remember seeing him drive into a player and through them to get his shot off.

If Paul could pattern his game off of any player in the NBA, I'd tell him to play like Paul Pierce in his prime.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Another thing about Reggie was that, although he wasn't the greatest leaper or the strongest 2-guard, he was probably the fastest shooting guard in the league (maybe even all-time) of moving without the ball. Guys would often crash into him on the catch as they tried to keep up with him coming off of those curl, cuts, and screens. IMHO, he was much faster than Paul George is so he can't draw fouls quite the same way but he can learn to play through the contact or even initiate the way Reggie did. That and-1 play against Marko Bellinelli is the first time I remember seeing him drive into a player and through them to get his shot off.

If Paul could pattern his game off of any player in the NBA, I'd tell him to play like Paul Pierce in his prime.
    I know you're not saying that's the type of player Paul will become, but I don't think there's any way that Paul will ever be the consistent scorer/slasher that Paul has been throughout his career. Never once did a coach or a teammate have to tell Paul to shoot, or to attack.

I think we'll be lucky if Paul becomes a better shooting variation of Andre Iguodala--which he almost is already. Do it all type of player who is a lot better as a 2nd or 3rd option offensively. Maybe he'll prove me wrong (especially considering that Iggy's career high is only 34pts)

Maybe Paul is a more athletic version of the younger Danny Granger? who knows

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Paul George had a good game. I'm looking forward to more good games. To expect a great game every nite is a bit of a stretch. Pacers went 3-1 on a west coast trip, that is cause for celebration!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BobbyMac For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I going on a limb and say that this is the start of his breakout. This limb may crack, but with so many up and downs of the season (and they are huge swings 0pts to 34?) I think he will be more consistent. We will see those 10pt and under games less, and see the 16 plus more frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    I going on a limb and say that this is the start of his breakout. This limb may crack, but with so many up and downs of the season (and they are huge swings 0pts to 34?) I think he will be more consistent. We will see those 10pt and under games less, and see the 16 plus more frequently.
    He has been averaging 16ppg in the past 8 games, and 17ppg in the past 6 games. Which is impressive considering he has a 6, 4, and 0 point games in within that time. It has probably been his highest period of average so far this season, but also his most inconsistent, as it has mostly consisted of high point and low point with very few in between.

Lifelong Pacer Fan. PGisthefuture's Avatar

Sports Logo

I am obviously one of Paul's biggest supporters and with that being said, I completely agree. I didn't get to watch the whole game last night, but from what I did watch, he looked more like he wanted that game than any other game I've ever seen before. I could tell he wanted to win and I think the coaches giving him a hard time about having bad games will help him. I remember reading an article that I think was posted on here about Paul being hesitant to take over games because he doesn't want to be a ballhog or what have you. People need to tell him it's ok, just go out there and do what feels right. Get to the basket, pull up for a jumper in a defenders face with confidence, get to the line, etc... I would love if the coaches challenged him to just get double digits every game at the least.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    PG will be a restricted FA. At least we have the problem of having very good young player.

Would you prefer to have drafted Wesley Johnson?
    What are you talking about?When did i say i would have preferred drafting someone else?
    My concern is that he may opt for another team when his contract is up and then go on and fulfill his potential elsewhere(if he hasn't already done that with us).I know,too early thinking about that but just saying.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    I know you're not saying that's the type of player Paul will become, but I don't think there's any way that Paul will ever be the consistent scorer/slasher that Paul has been throughout his career. Never once did a coach or a teammate have to tell Paul to shoot, or to attack.

I think we'll be lucky if Paul becomes a better shooting variation of Andre Iguodala--which he almost is already. Do it all type of player who is a lot better as a 2nd or 3rd option offensively. Maybe he'll prove me wrong (especially considering that Iggy's career high is only 34pts)

Maybe Paul is a more athletic version of the younger Danny Granger? who knows
    I definitely can see the Iguodala comparison. I love Iggy's game.

I think he's developing okay. That zero point game was a real head-scratcher but at least it seemed to motivate him increase his intensity. I really don't think that Paul will ever be a superstar but if he can be as good as Iggy, I can live with that.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

The big question is what happened all of the sudden for him to have great shot selection?

This isn't a case of him suddenly getting hot. It did help that he hit his first few to increase his confidence. But I don't really care if he was 40 percent from the field the other night. He was taking the right shots, in the right places, getting to the rim and helping the offense create.

Did somebody talk to him? Did the light bulb just go on somehow? Will it suddenly go off next game? That's what I'm interested in watching.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

So now we have two Iguodalas (Granger/George) on the team?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

“In five years,” the Eastern Conference scout said, “Paul George will be the best player to come out of this draft.
    “Trust me.”
    PG is in his 3rd year in the league. He is 22. Not many players have come into the league at such a young age and played consistently at a extremely high level, like all star level which you are talking about. Give PG some time. Danny being out right now makes us need him to mature faster, but it also puts a lot more on PG than he has been ready for. He's not going to be consistent on offense this year imo. He's going to struggle to get to that next level. But that doesn't mean he is trash now. His 4 point and 0 point outings against Sacramento and GS are unacceptable. PG knows this. Thats why he's taking 500 jumpers a day now.

Give the kid time. Was Danny in the league at his age even?

29. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    To be an elite perimeter scorer, which is what people are talking about here, you have to have near elite handles. I don't see George being that kind of player. I think he will be great, just in a different way.
    As long as he is improving we should be happy. We will have to wait and see what he becomes.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

While it has been brought up that Paul George isn't a great ball-handler, and that will limit his overall ceiling he has as a scorer. Keep in mind a lot of guys with average to below average ball-handling have scored a lot of points in this league and he has the tools to score even with out elite ball-handling skills he has the out side shot, length, and athleticism to consistently get to the spots he needs on the court to score. You have to look no further than our own team to find an example of a guy that has scored a ton of points over his career with limited ball-handling skills in Granger. Will Granger even iso a guy break his ankles and score? No but he does do a good jump at taking angles, using a quick first step, sealing guys off with his body when he gains a step on a person, etc. that gets him to the bucket/FT line consistently enough to be a high scoring player. So while PG is limited in that we can't really call isos for him etc. I still think he has the tools he needs to be a guy that can get to the basket/the spots on the court he needs to be effective. For one he has shown some what of a post game the last 2 games something we have seen the Pacers try in past but it was never successful he has made some solid plays last 2 games in the post......He has driven past guys that are making hard close outs the last few games a lot more often than I had seen him doing.......and lastly he is FINALLY using his length as a factor on offense instead of just defense the last 2 games......I told my brother after the first 37 point 9 3 point performance when we were both going nuts watching the game bowing down to PG in the performance, that while it was fun and amazing to watch it still actually wasn't the kind of game I was looking for from PG to get the next level as a player.....Simply because repeating that type of performance is obv. almost impossible considering Reggie is a 10x better perimeter player than he is and his career high in 3s was 8.......However, these last 2 games have shown me things that make me excited that PG may have finally figured "IT" out......once he consistently starts using his length to good effect on offense he has the potential to be a very good player, even with limited ball-handling skills.