Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul George Tonight

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Paul George Tonight

This thread will probably not come off the way I intend it to, with a lot of people, but I will post it anyway.

Tonight pissed me off.

The Pacers won, which is more important than anything for me, but overall I'm pissed. Maybe frustrated is a better word actually. This is the type of player we all knew Paul George could be....problem is, he could be this every game. Yet, we've only seen this Paul George 2-3 times all season. It pisses me off that he lets it come and go the way he does. He needs to be this assertive EVERY SINGLE GAME. If he isn't, its all a waste...I would rather loose 9 out of the next 10 games if Paul George stepped up and took over that role as go to player...it would suck, but in the long run, it would be great for this franchise. To have Paul George TEMPT us with games like this, or games like the other night, only to come out a few nights later and score 0 is maddening.

A lot of people are happy with George tonight. I'm not. He should be doing this...or at the very least TRYING to do this every night...but he doesn't. His one good game doesn't make up for a season of being passive. A lot of comments were made in thread like "BET YOU DONT WANT TO TRADE HIM NOW!!111!1!one!!!1!!!"

I never WANTED to trade Paul George, but if he plans on being a role player in his career, whats the point of keeping him? The Paul George we saw tonight is what we all expected of him all season long? Maybe not to the extent of 30+ points, but at least a go to scorer who appears to want to win. I find it frustrating that I can name 2 games all season long where I felt like Paul George wanted it.

Do I want to trade him? No, this guy is our chance. But do I wanna give him props for trying? No. The reality is, he is capable of games like this, the fact that we've only seen it 2-3 times is irritating. Am I happy that we saw this, absolutely. Don't take this thread the wrong way - I loved what we saw from Paul George tonight, I simply don't want to make him the Pacers "savior" again when he hasn't proven he can keep that up.

This thread seems negative and for that I apologize. I love this Pacers team and tonights win was great. I love Paul George...one of my favorite Pacers ever, maybe thats why I am so hard on him. But this game doesn't prove anything to me. Because until he can do it on a regular basis, its nothing more than a good game. Fred Jones had a 40+ game one night, doesn't make him an All-Star. We need this from Paul George EVERY NIGHT, and why I've lost so much faith in him, is because he knows it, yet constantly we see him not show up for games.

Hopefully this is the game that changes everything, I'm just a little more hesitant than ya'll seem to be with jumping back on the "he will lead this franchise" bandwagon.

Sorry for being Debby Downer...I don't like to be. But I just needed to say it.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Paul George Tonight

I agree, this is the mentality he has to have every night. It just seems as if Paul George has been playing to fit into the system and tonight he played a little more selfish. I think we need Paul George to play a little more selfish. I think that he is capable of playing like this every night, because you could see a distinct difference in the way he was carrying himself tonight.
    Last edited by rock747; 12-05-2012 at 04:13 AM.
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

Paul George is not a consistent volume scorer and he doesn't have the ball handling skills or ability to finish around the rim to be a 25 ppg guy. Those 25 a night guys have a driving game that allows them to get to the line when their shot isn't falling. Paul George doesn't have that and never will, I don't think it has anything to do with him being scared or lazy.

However, George is building a complete game, from defense to passing to rebounding, that means he will have an effect on the game even when his shot isn't falling. If you're waiting for him to be TMac then you'll never be happy. If you want him to be an important do-everything-guy on a deep playoff team then I think he's on the right path.

5. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

I believe he really is trying. There are times where he attempts many shots. The problem really is the consistency of making it. Like what I said on other threads, we just need to be patient as consistency is not there yet. He's doing great on other areas, and right now he's "Andre Iguodala lite" if you look how he fills up the other areas of the stat sheet.

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Maybe a bit less green light from the perimeter would usher in a more attacking style from Paul.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NapTonius Monk For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe a bit less green light from the perimeter would usher in a more attacking style from Paul.
    He needs to get to the line more. He took 25 shots tonight and, while he knocked them down at a very good clip, only scored 34. He was only 4 FGA away from Reggie's career high FG attempted. Yet Reggie scored 57 that game because he got to the line 23 times. PG only had 5 free throw attempts. PG possess WAAAAY more athleticism than Reggie so you would expect him to have an easier time drawing fouls. Maybe he needs to look at some of Reggie's tricks and incorporate them into his game.

Outside of his low free throw attempts, this was probably the best game of his proffessional career.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Phree Refill For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    If you're waiting for him to be TMac then you'll never be happy.
    I guess some of us may have OTT expectations and we are probably wrong.BUT he has showed at times he can be a great scorer.Why does he not do it more often?Are we led to believe that these super performances are just fireworks/one night thing and nothing else?

Quote Originally Posted by Phree Refill View Post
    He needs to get to the line more. He took 25 shots tonight and, while he knocked them down at a very good clip, only scored 34. He was only 4 FGA away from Reggie's career high FG attempted. Yet Reggie scored 57 that game because he got to the line 23 times. PG only had 5 free throw attempts. PG possess WAAAAY more athleticism than Reggie so you would expect him to have an easier time drawing fouls. Maybe he needs to look at some of Reggie's tricks and incorporate them into his game.

Outside of his low free throw attempts, this was probably the best game of his proffessional career.
    If Reggie got to the line 23 times he probably took a lot more than 25 shots. You just don't see them because missed shots when fouled don't show up on the stat sheet. Otherwise you are right though, George needs to learn how to draw fouls. At the same time though it would be hypocritical of most of the Pacers fan base to not admit that Reggie was a benefactor in getting superstar calls, even against other superstars such as Jordan.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rock747 View Post
    I agree, this is the mentality he has to have every night. It just seems as if Paul George has been playing to fit into the system and tonight he played a little more selfish. I think we need Paul George to play a little more selfish. I think that he is capable of playing like this every night, because you could see a distinct difference in the way he was carrying himself tonight.
    I really don't get the sense that Vogel is restricting him in any way whatsoever. He has the green light.

Both before the game, and after the game, Vogel specifically said that he's done a poor job of getting PG early offensive looks.

That to me says two things:

1) Vogel wants him as a primary option of offense
    2) PG still is in his own head, and needs to succeed early to build self confidence

He's young and he defers to the rest of his team when he starts off poorly offensively. It reminds me a lot of how Granger approached his game over the first few years. As you all know, Granger now has no problem jumping into the pole position offensively.

Crossing my fingers, but my guess is that we'll see this evolution in PG as well.

The thing that I find really special about Paul is that, during this season, if he doesn't get his shot going early, he almost always finds other ways to contribute heavily... whether it's mega rebounding or mega assisting.

He's really got almost the entire package. He just needs to realize it and play through early struggles shooting.

As others have said, he needs to learn to attack the basket and draw fouls.

Once he has that skill, look out.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to docpaul For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It seems to me the coaching staff uses George in 1 of 2 ways game-to-game. 1) when the opposing teams best player is a 2/3, focus 100% on shutting him down and let Hill and West carry the offense... 2) when the opposing teams best player is not a 2/3, try to become more focal in the offense.

Last night seemed like an anomaly. Not only was he trying to shut down Deng, he was trying to carry the load offensively. And he did a damn good job at it. It was obvious how gassed he was late, maybe that's why we didn't go to him on the last play. Regardless, I think it's up to the coaching staff to give him a more defined role, and it's up to George to become consistent in that role. We don't need PG to score 30 every game, but we go need him to give us around 15 points with shut down defense, which for the most part he is doing. His biggest problems are consistency and aggression, one which typically comes with age and the other you are born with. I believe being aggressive, or taking over a game, is not natural to Paul, and it's up to him to get past that. Hopefully last night was a breakthrough.

Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Mood

Best game for Paul ever in a Pacers uni. At several points in the game, I actually felt like the rest of the team wasn't hustling enough and I almost felt like bad for Paul as he was the only one giving his all. He put that game on his back. I hope the team recognizes this and rallies around him in a most positive way. I think this team can do this and hopefully other players can play with the same intensity here on out.

Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

The best part about Paul's game tonight is he was able to score as much as he did while only attempting 3 - 3 pointers.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IndyJones For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

At first I felt this way. Then I realized that he is still young and inconsistency comes with that. He will average 16ppg at some point in his career. Derozan has taken awhile to develop some consistency, so we need to be patient. And we can afford to be patient.....if Danny can come back to form.

Pacers have a balanced offense - that is one of their strengths and their calling cards.

I am not surprised at all that George's offensive production is inconsistant. Every player has to deal with that

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Paul is still figuring it out guys. Games like last night go a long way with things clicking for him. I saw him angry and determined last night. He can still develop that killer instinct that he showed last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    I guess some of us may have OTT expectations and we are probably wrong.BUT he has showed at times he can be a great scorer.Why does he not do it more often?Are we led to believe that these super performances are just fireworks/one night thing and nothing else?
    The biggest impediment is that he can't drive and create contact, because he doesn't have a strong dribble or great first step. He's not an elite shooter so he's gonna have off nights from the field. When LeBron or Kobe or Durant have those off nights they can use their dribble to get in the lane and get fouled or get good shots. I just don't see that in George's skill set. Which in my opinion means he will probably be an 18-20 ppg guy who gets a lot of rebounds and assists and plays great defense and all his teammates love playing with him. I'm more than happy with that.

People are maybe tricked by his highlight dunks into thinking that he can go over the top and dunk in traffic. His dunks aren't power dunks, they're technical dunks, meaning they don't translate well into games. He doesn't have a strong burst to the basket when he jumps off a drive so he ends up contorting in mid air and tries an acrobatic lay up.

I don't think nights like he had against the Bulls are fireworks, they're just gonna go along with 10 point games just as often and he'll settle into an average in the high teens.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Pacers have a balanced offense - that is one of their strengths and their calling cards.

I am not surprised at all that George's offensive production is inconsistant. Every player has to deal with that
    I'm not sure about balance offense, maybe last year but this year they always need somebody to put up big numbers to win and for some reason when one player is playing well everybody else plays bad.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

They have a balanced attack. Its just that this year it has taken Hibbert and West awhile to come around on the inside. But with West taking one, two dribbles and attacking the paint it will open it up for the others on the outside. Hibbert will get better, but will not be lights out. It is a bland balance attack that needs consistent perimeter shooting, and a durable attack inside that leads to FTs. We haven't seen any of that until a glimmer recently.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    Paul George is not a consistent volume scorer and he doesn't have the ball handling skills or ability to finish around the rim to be a 25 ppg guy. Those 25 a night guys have a driving game that allows them to get to the line when their shot isn't falling. Paul George doesn't have that and never will, I don't think it has anything to do with him being scared or lazy.

However, George is building a complete game, from defense to passing to rebounding, that means he will have an effect on the game even when his shot isn't falling. If you're waiting for him to be TMac then you'll never be happy. If you want him to be an important do-everything-guy on a deep playoff team then I think he's on the right path.
    Paul's handles have improved drastically this year. I think he can get there. We have struggeled and are right in the thick of things at 4th in the east, everyone needs to take a chill pill.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

An excellent game by George. The big thing for Paul tonight was that his shot was falling. He was taking some shots that generally only stars take and only when they've decided to carry their team. After the game, both George and Vogel mentioned his special practice sessions to focus on his shot. If that is the reason he did so well, then maybe he will be that star we all hoped for.

Just very impressed with this game, not because of the points, but because of the overall game. I thought he did an excellent job defending a very capable player. Overall I didn't get the feel like he was just trying to force himself on the offensive side either.

I'll be crossing my fingers tonight.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to MnvrChvy For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Dude-

He's 22 and always had to defer to the coaches, the system, and being down the list of offensive options (e.g., Granger). He's coming along and consistency will come with time. It'll be great if it happens this season and see what happens in the POs with West, Hibbert, Hill, Granger and PG.

I'm hoping that Danny is coaching him up and making him realize that he won't have his jumper going every night but to not let that affect the confidence in the other aspects of his game (defense, driving the lane, etc.). Teams won't defend him the same way consistently, so there'll be nights when he gets a lot of shots and others when he needs to set his teammates up.

Self esteem and confidence will help his consistency.

Patience.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MyFavMartin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by HC View Post
    Paul's handles have improved drastically this year. I think he can get there. We have struggeled and are right in the thick of things at 4th in the east, everyone needs to take a chill pill.
    To be an elite perimeter scorer, which is what people are talking about here, you have to have near elite handles. I don't see George being that kind of player. I think he will be great, just in a different way.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

I found myself reading the original post in this thread, and couldn't help but notice I was nodding the entire time. You put a lot of nails out there, and hit every one on the head.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

It's like we could almost copy the original post verbatim and replace "Paul George" with "Roy Hibbert".

It will go a long way to start getting PG the ball closer to the block more and more. He has a nice turn around jumper. It's tough for him to create thirty feet from the basket every time.

Give him the ball in the post and he should be able to do a lot of work from there.