Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Bulls postgame

Default Re: Pacers/Bulls postgame

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Saw a tweet this morning saying last night was the 9th game that the Pacers have held their opponents to under 40% shooting. Impressive 50% clip.
    I love watching the interior defense.

To me, what's particularly notable about the defense last night is that there were at least 4-5 big time mental mistakes that led to incredibly easy Chicago baskets. They *still* kept them under 40% despite this.

Did you all see the sequence on Fox Sports MW when Robinson was getting hyped up and all frothing at the mouth? Spit flying everywhere, etc?

I wish I could get a .GIF of that.

Part of me laughed at how silly he looked, and part of me wished our team had a person like that who could fire everyone up. Noone in our starting 5 has that kind of personality. Hill occasionally goes there, but he's a quiet type.

So poetic though that he pretty much got them back into the game, and also lost it for them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    It IS interesting to wonder why we haven't seen that play until the very last minute in a close game with our biggest rival.
    A secret weapon perhaps?

But it's a good thing that they tried that one instead of those poorly-executed shot that we commonly see that they do at the end of games. And good recognition by West.

Saw a tweet this morning saying last night was the 9th game that the Pacers have held their opponents to under 40% shooting. Impressive 50% clip.
    Pacers are by a wide margin the best defensive opponents FG % team in the league. Pacers opponents shoot .406 - next closest team is OKC at .424. That is really a wide gap.

Pacers are third in opponents 3 point shooting %. behind only the Bulls and the Spurs.

Pacers are second in the NBA in defensive rebounding %.

Pacers are 3rd in blocked shots.

Only thing we don't do well defensively is create turnovers and get steals. But that tells me we are playing a very solid team oriented defense. We aren't gambling, going for steals, we are playing solid defense, making the other team miss and rebounding well. That type of defense is good against all teams. (our biggest weakness is the pick and rolls that draw Hibbert away from the basket. The teams that do well in that area give us problems.

With all the concern about the offense and our bench, I sort of took for granted our defense, but I really watched it last night and it is really good.

For many of you who didn't like some of the gimmicky defensives of the past, this is a no-gimmick defense.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 12-05-2012 at 10:46 AM.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/1...f-verticality/

Reading how Bulls, of all teams, ***** about phsyicality makes me smile.

Deng was behind the basket, btw. That's something that hasn't really been said. PG gambled, but they were so flat on the baseline, Deng had no where to deliever the ball.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Pacers are by a wide margin the best defensive opponents FG % team in the league. Pacers opponents shoot .406 - next closest team is OKC at .424. That is really a wide gap.

Pacers are third in opponents 3 point shooting %. behind only the Bulls and the Spurs.

Only thing we don't do well defensively is create turnovers and get steals. But that tells me we are playing a very solid team oriented defense. We aren't gambling, going for steals, we are playing solid defense, making the other team miss and rebounding well. That type of defense is good against all teams. (our biggest weakness is the pick and rolls that draw Hibbert away from the basket. The teams that do well in that area give us problems.

With all the concern about the offense and our bench, I sort of took for granted our defense, but I really watched it last night and it is really good.

For many of you who didn't like some of the gimmicky defensives of the past, this is a no-gimmick defense.
    The players and the coaching staff really deserve the credit for this. Many were asking for this team to play defense before, and right now they're delivering hard-nosed defense night-in, night-out. The toughest defense in the NBA is keeping this team afloat despite the terrible offense.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I have had it with DJ. The dude nearly lost this game in the second half. I can't believe I am going to say this......I miss AJ.

How about trading him to Utah for Earl Watson?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

And Hibbert bailed Vogel out. There is no reason why Paul George was not given the ball to put us up 2 possesions. Instead we go to a cold tandem of Hill and West. I think Vogel over thinks it sometimes.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    The players and the coaching staff really deserve the credit for this. Many were asking for this team to play defense before, and right now they're delivering hard-nosed defense night-in, night-out. The toughest defense in the NBA is keeping this team afloat despite the terrible offense.
    I doubt there is a way to track the difference between the starters defense and the bench - I would love to know just how much the defense drops off when the bench comes in. Or do we think the offense is the major problem with the bench.

Sports Logo

I doubt there is a way to track the difference between the starters defense and the bench - I would love to know just how much the defense drops off when the bench comes in. Or do we think the offense is the major problem with the bench.
    The second unit is decent defensively. Ian can protect the rim. He's not as good as Roy but he's adequate. On the other hand, Ian is the better PnR defender. Hansbrough is playing decent D this season. He's holding his own. Young is a good wing defender. If we don't force him to defend PFs he's always a positive on that side of the floor. Green has some defensive lapses but honestly he is not a bad defender. He is a good on-ball defender and can secure defesive boards. He's also long and helps closing out or altering shots (and passing lanes). Augustin is the main problem defensively. He tries to get through most screens (a good thing) but always ends up getting eaten up because he is not strong enough to get through the screen quickly or quick enough to recover.

But defensively the second unit is decent. It's better than last year's second unit. It's just that offensively we get the minimal production possible.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    And Hibbert bailed Vogel out. There is no reason why Paul George was not given the ball to put us up 2 possesions. Instead we go to a cold tandem of Hill and West. I think Vogel over thinks it sometimes.
    No doubt, the funny part is that you could see Vogel calling that play and the guys were just like "yeah we know it"

That play works against crappy teams but teams that have good coaching a good defense they know how to stop it, Vogel needs to mix it up.

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2012/1...f-verticality/

Reading how Bulls, of all teams, ***** about phsyicality makes me smile.

Deng was behind the basket, btw. That's something that hasn't really been said. PG gambled, but they were so flat on the baseline, Deng had no where to deliever the ball.
    Interesting quote from that article:

“Nah, I don’t take charges,” Hibbert said. “I used to, but [former Pacers big man] Jeff Foster told me it messed his back up and shaved a couple years off his career. So nah, I’m a 7-footer, I’m going to try to block a shot at the rim.”
    Foster did take a TON of charges in his career. He was probably one of the best in the league at it.

I think there's not much of a drop-off defensively. Tyler has improved. Ian makes a good job defending the rim, Green is pretty decent and Young really pressures his guard with his physical style. the problem probably is DJ but the 2nd unit as a 5-man team really plays defense better than expected. They just can't make a bucket when they play together. It's just how I see it though, maybe some stats can describe a better picture of starter vs. bench defense.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pacers/Bulls postgame thread.

One thing we all learned from last night...Lance Stephenson is clutch!!
    David "And One" West

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Jones View Post
    George 41 minutes
    West 35
    Hibs 34
    Lance 38
    Hill 37
    I hope PG can play like he did last night more consistently going forward. But I fully expect him to play a dud tonight against the Blazers. He looked exhausted out there at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by ColeTheMole View Post
    Why are a lot of people getting mad over the George Hill David West final play? Of course Paul was really hot, but that play WON THE GAME in LA.
    It's actually already won two games this season.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Honest question here, not picking a fight.

If he can drive against Deng, who won't he be able to drive against? Deng's no slouch defending the ball.
    I need to see a pattern emerge. Remember Danny scoring 20 ppg over the 5 game series in 2011? That's what I need to see from Paul, multiple games. Any game with what happens in that game can produce a good result. Right now I think if Paul played 10 games against the Bulls, Deng would probbaly slow him down a lot of the time.

Like I said I'm thrilled with where Paul is right now, he's what I thought he would be and that is a good thing.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Pacergeek View Post
    One thing we all learned from last night...Lance Stephenson is clutch!!
    Actually, Lance missed a FT to ice it with seconds left in the game.

I like Lance, I'm just sayin'.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I need to see a pattern emerge. Remember Danny scoring 20 ppg over the 5 game series in 2011? That's what I need to see from Paul, multiple games. Any game with what happens in that game can produce a good result. Right now I think if Paul played 10 games against the Bulls, Deng would probbaly slow him down a lot of the time.

Like I said I'm thrilled with where Paul is right now, he's what I thought he would be and that is a good thing.
    I think Paul fell in love with his shooting this season and forgot to really focus on driving the ball. I agree that we'll just need to watch it develop, but if you can do it against Deng and the Bulls then you should be able to do it against anybody.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Sports Logo

Since you pay more attention to the defense than I do...I'll ask you.....what is the difference in the defense last year compared to this year?

Other than Mahinmi and Young ( which makes a difference ), what are we doing now that we didn't do before?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Actually, Lance missed a FT to ice it with seconds left in the game.

I like Lance, I'm just sayin'.
    Not quite. We would have gone up by 3. Not quite icing it.

But your larger point is well taken. Lance blew a chance to make mega statement rather than a solid statement.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Major Cold View Post
    I have had it with DJ. The dude nearly lost this game in the second half. I can't believe I am going to say this......I miss AJ.

How about trading him to Utah for Earl Watson?
    How about freeing Lance or ( even ) Ben
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

(our biggest weakness is the pick and rolls that draw Hibbert away from the basket. The teams that do well in that area give us problems.
    Or West. That's what sunk us in the Miami series. It's our defensive Achilles.

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Since you pay more attention to the defense than I do...I'll ask you.....what is the difference in the defense last year compared to this year?

Other than Mahinmi and Young ( which makes a difference ), what are we doing now that we didn't do before?
    We are better against the pick and roll, still not good mind you, and the refs are more lenient in the paint this year.

Oh also, George is better at chasing people around the court, and getting through screens.
    Last edited by Eleazar; 12-05-2012 at 01:30 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    No doubt, the funny part is that you could see Vogel calling that play and the guys were just like "yeah we know it"

That play works against crappy teams but teams that have good coaching a good defense they know how to stop it, Vogel needs to mix it up.
    The thing is, they didn't stop it. We got an open look, West just missed.