Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Bulls postgame

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers/Bulls postgame thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He only played 6 minutes, so what he did do I would consider helpful.
    You probably think everyone who played helped the team so I'll leave it at that.
    BTW i never said he was detrimental,OK?He got limited time,i accept that so we better not judge him one way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    You probably think everyone who played helped the team so I'll leave it at that.
    BTW i never said he was detrimental,OK?He got limited time,i accept that so we better not judge him one way or another.
    You must not have read very many of my comments then.

Default Re: Pacers/Bulls postgame

There seems to be a misconception that all open shots go in. Everyone misses a decent amount of open shots. Just because they miss some open shots doesn't mean the team didn't play good defense as a whole.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cgg For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Ian is coming around. I just wish he could hold onto the ball. If he could he could get you an easy 10 off the bench all the time.
    I said it before and I'll say it again.

Ian is a good back-up. He can protect the rim and he seems to have good offensive insticts. He can read a defense and make the correct play (drive or shot). He understands some spacing (he doesn't clog the lane when his guards are driving). He can hit the mid range J at least semi-competently so he can keep the defense open. He can draw fouls and is good at the line (68.8% is quite good for a back-up big). He can also finish at the rim.

He has two weaknesses on the offensive side of the floor:

1) He has bad hands. Unfortunately, that's a great weakness for a big. If he had good hands I firmly believe that he could be a starter on a team. Not a great starter but better than the likes of Sheldon Williams (just an example as I actually like Sheldon).

2) He is a bad passer. Luckily, he seems to be aware of this and does not attempt to pass a lot. Personally, I'm happy to see Ian driving to the rim the moment he gets the ball because he will be fouled most of the time.

Defensively, he is solid. He is better than Hibbert on the PnR (that's not saying a lot, though) and he can protect the rim (which we sorely need when Hibbert is out). He is not a great rebounder (mainly due to his bad hands) and he sometimes falls for the shot fake a bit too much but I like what he's giving us.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why are teams consistently missing those shots against us? There isn't some conspiracy to miss a ton of "easy" shots every game by the league. There is only one common factor, the Pacers defense.
    Unless you have a PG that is very good in the mid range/pull up game AND a big that can shoot the outside jumper, Teams don't get very many easy shots against us. We rarely allow layups/dunks, and we are starting to challenge 3pt FGA very well also. If we had a backup PG who could play good on the ball defense, we'd be pretty damn complete.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Why are teams consistently missing those shots against us? There isn't some conspiracy to miss a ton of "easy" shots every game by the league. There is only one common factor, the Pacers defense.
    I never said we don't play great D.If there is one thing that keeps us afloat,that's it.What will happen,if we face a good team that won't shoot horribly(even if it's down to our D or not) but close to 45% for example?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree completely. The truth is that every team misses easy shots every night. We miss easy shots every night. If every team hit all of their easy shots, the FG% would be off the charts. Basically the Spurs or the Heat when they're rolling.

One thing that I liked that we did tonight is we adjusted on defense for all of the screens that Chicago sets. Instead of playing straight man to man defense, when they ran particularly congested sets they morphed into a weird interior matchup zone where Hibbert just floated in front of the hoop and the other forwards switched until the screens were all done. Mahinmi did a decent job of it too, though he was able to do it more with his lateral quickness rather than presence.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Why are a lot of people getting mad over the George Hill David West final play? Of course Paul was really hot, but that play WON THE GAME in LA.
    DG for 3

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ColeTheMole For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    And SA. There are few teams that have the roster to execute the offense to exploit the pacers defense with the way we've been playing.
    True. But really, SA can beat anyone. That's why I didn't even mention them.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ColeTheMole View Post
    Why are a lot of people getting mad over the George Hill David West final play? Of course Paul was really hot, but that play WON THE GAME in LA.
    Are they?I think it has more to do that it was supposed to be another drawn play by Vogel.Said it in the game thread and i will say it here too with a big ounce of hyperbole of course.Sometimes i wish we haven't got any time outs left and just be instinctive on our last play.We would get more.

It's been said several times in this thread, but this was Paul George's best game of the season. By far. This is what I want to see from Paul George, and this is what the Pacers need from Paul George if they are going to survive Granger's absence. 22 of his 25 shots were inside the arc, and did I mention he shot the ball 25 times? The rest of the team was struggling and he used his body, his height and his smarts to get his shots. Honestly, the fact that he shot a good percentage was just icing on the cake for me. He's got star offensive ability, and stars don't camp outside and go 0-for-5 in an entire game. Stars put the team on their backs.

I hope Vogel tells him to be our leading scorer from this point forward. West is good and all, but it's not fair to him to ask him to be the #1 guy.

Also, PG finally drained those fadeaways! Keep shooting.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to 3rdStrike For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I'm not exactly mad about it. I just disagree with it.

No matter what we did in that play the Bulls would have the last shot. So, we needed a score to not lose with a 3. The best way to get a score was to involve PG in the offense. If PG got the ball in the left flank (where West was) then West's defender would be forced to help as they HAD to double PG. If they didn't double, PG would have made the shot. If they did double, West would be open in the high post (after a curl) or he could cut in the lane and get an open 8 footer.

I have no problem with West taking the last shot. I have no problem with the team running down the clock. But you have to get PG involved in order to secure West a better shot. That's what I wanted to see.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    I'm not exactly mad about it. I just disagree with it.

No matter what we did in that play the Bulls would have the last shot. So, we needed a score to not lose with a 3. The best way to get a score was to involve PG in the offense. If PG got the ball in the left flank (where West was) then West's defender would be forced to help as they HAD to double PG. If they didn't double, PG would have made the shot. If they did double, West would be open in the high post (after a curl) or he could cut in the lane and get an open 8 footer.

I have no problem with West taking the last shot. I have no problem with the team running down the clock. But you have to get PG involved in order to secure West a better shot. That's what I wanted to see.
    I don't think Frank chose the play that would give us the best chance to score. He gave us the play that gave us the best chance to get a shot off without turning it over. He didn't want to see a PG mishandle turn into a Luol dunk on the other end.

Because it was the Bulls, if I were to run a play with PG it would be a 1-3 screen with about 6 seconds left on the clock so you could try to get the point guard switch and make sure George doesn't have to handle the ball for very long. The downside I see is that if you don't get the switch you want Deng probably denies the pass and you're stuck with a contested Hill jumper with his man able to move up the court on a runout.

So it was a safe play.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Johanvil View Post
    Nunti it's a combination man.You just can't give credit only to our D.They may have also missed some easy shots/baskets that another night would score with closed eyes.
    We're 18 games into the season. We allow a far lower opponent FG% and a ridiculously lower opponent TS% than any other team in the rim. We allow the less points in the paint and the less fast break points. We mostly allow shots from 16-23 ft. There were some stats about it posted in the Pacers-Lakers post game thread. Look them up. I am also posting some other defensive rankings.

Basically, those rankings say that our D is pretty damn good. Are teams missing open shots against us? They sure do. But the open shots we give them are not easy ones. There is a reason why the 16-23 footer is considered a bad shot. Players hit it at a much lower percentage than any other shot.

Have we played teams at off nights? We surely have. Our stats could be inflated by some poor shooting nights of our opponents.

But 18 games into the season is past the point of coincidence.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    I don't think Frank chose the play that would give us the best chance to score. He gave us the play that gave us the best chance to get a shot off without turning it over. He didn't want to see a PG mishandle turn into a Luol dunk on the other end.

Because it was the Bulls, if I were to run a play with PG it would be a 1-3 screen with about 6 seconds left on the clock so you could try to get the point guard switch and make sure George doesn't have to handle the ball for very long. The downside I see is that if you don't get the switch you want Deng probably denies the pass and you're stuck with a contested Hill jumper with his man able to move up the court on a runout.

So it was a safe play.
    Well, I can certainly agree with this. That thought didn't cross my mind, to be honest.

Trust in Pacers D then? Why not? It's consistent at least.

Banned

That play also lost the Pacers some games, good teams know how to stop it, they showed in half time all the close games finishes and the Pacers called the same play in almost every game they had, that telegraph last play call almost cost the Pacers the game.

Win means nothing if we lose to the Blazers.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to boombaby1987 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by boombaby1987 View Post
    Win means nothing if we lose to the Blazers.
    Not true. The Blazers are not in our division. A win against the Bulls is far important than a win against the Blazers.

Of course, I'll gladly take as many Ws as we can

29. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Nuntius For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    Not true. The Blazers are not in our division. A win against the Bulls is far important than a win against the Blazers.

Of course, I'll gladly take as many Ws as we can
    I mean unless we literally tie records, it doesn't matter what the division record is.

Sports Logo

I mean unless we literally tie records, it doesn't matter what the division record is.
    Indiana, Chicago and Milwaukee are at exactly .500. We're 9 - 9 and they are 8 - 8.

Are we going to still be tied in the end of the season? I don't think so. But just to be sure, I'd like us to win in the tie breakers since I can easily see all 3 of us being very, very close at the end.

Banned

I don't know how somebody forgot to mention this..... Free Lance?

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    This is the first game that Paul George impressed me on offense. He shot very few threes. He hit several midrange shots. He got to the rim. He penetrated and dumped to other players for easy shots.

Until tonight, all I've seen is three point attempts and drives to the rim where he usually did not convert. Tonight's performance was something very different. It was great.
    what i find refreshing is looking at the shot selection. he took a bunch of shots but this time- 50% or more weren't from downtown.
    george finally played with some balls instead of just standing around on the perimeter playing posey-ball. whenever he gets into those bad habits- i expect frank to get on his backside and tell him to cut it out!!
    pg attacking the rim?- i didn't think i would see it this year. i am glad that i did though.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to clownskull For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

no but it does matter that the bulls lost a game and we won it. Its a nice swing that could be helpful come season's end.

36. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

It's been said already but it deserves another mention.

That was a damn good game from Paul George. He scored 25 points before he made his first three.

That's the first time he's played a game with 'balls'. He was assertive, he seeked out contact, and he took advantage of his height. He could do that every night if he wanted to.

That was so relieving. I didn't think he had it in him.

That's easily our most important win. It's only one win, but it's the first time we've beat an opponent that was playing well. We really, really struggle against teams that execute and move well without the ball. This wasn't a bailout win where we just got hot from three. It was a slugfest and we won.

38. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

George 41 minutes
    West 35
    Hibs 34
    Lance 38
    Hill 37

That's more like it Frank. Maybe complaining on here does work . I hope he eventually hears the complaints about DJ and benches him too. He tried his best to throw the game away in the 4th. After Young came up with a nice steal and slowed it down (i.e. the smart play) DJ chucked up maybe the worst shot of the season, a contested 3 that wasn't even close. Right afterwards the Bulls when on a 9-2 run and quickly took the lead with DJ's man scoring 5 of those 9. We're nearly a quarter of the way thru the season, we can't wait for him to figure it out too much longer because when he's out there he's not making anyone better. I hope Lance gets the opportunity if DJ doesn't turn it around soon. We know the offense works better when he's on the floor, and he can definitely get more out of Tyler than anyone else. Plus Green needs more minutes anyway... make it happen Frank.

Very happy with the W, and it was nice to see Paul bounce back. The guy carried us and dominated an all star. Very impressive, tough (i said it) game by Paul tonight.
    Last edited by CJ Jones; 12-05-2012 at 01:21 AM.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post: