Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Bulls postgame

Default Re: Pacers/Bulls postgame

Free Lance!!!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CJ Jones For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's been said already but it deserves another mention.

That was a damn good game from Paul George. He scored 25 points before he made his first three.

That's the first time he's played a game with 'balls'. He was assertive, he seeked out contact, and he took advantage of his height. He could do that every night if he wanted to.

That was so relieving. I didn't think he had it in him.

That's easily our most important win. It's only one win, but it's the first time we've beat an opponent that was playing well. We really, really struggle against teams that execute and move well without the ball. This wasn't a bailout win where we just got hot from three. It was a slugfest and we won.
    Yeah, you start to think... PG might actually have some alpha dog in him. Some swagger even?

It suits him very well.

You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Mood

Neil Funk: "Hibbert went straight up, I'll give him that," before continuing to believe that Deng was fouled on that play. The Bulls announcers are the worst part of the NBA.

In other news, the Bulls may have as ugly a style as we do. But we won because PG was hot from every spot on the floor. It wasn't clear if he was having his way with Deng, or fate was. Great win, road or not. This team needs this kind of pick me up.

Really wish Lance would have hit the free throw though. Gotta hit start getting to the top third of the league in that category if we're going to be as good as Seth says.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

So awesome to see PG do this against Deng and a Thibodeau defense.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Goyle For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Goyle View Post
    So awesome to see PG do this against Deng and a Thibodeau defense.
    I have to agree here.......putting up 30+, shutting down and wearing out Deng and doing so against one of the best Defenses in the League is great.

Now...to be the fly in the soup.......let's see if PG can simply score as efficiently and consistently as he did this game ( and last season ) on a regular basis.

Before you jump on me and call me a 'hater', I'm not. I'm glad that PG got out of his slump....he was really the best Player on the floor....and we really needed it...especially with GH and BAMF running on fumes. We've him up and down on the scoring end all season long....I'm just saying that this Team will only be as good as it is consistent. It begins with the Starters and filters down to the 2nd unit.

As Trader Joe suggested....PG doesn't have to put up 30 a night....he just has to continue to do what he was doing tonight....attack the basket, show some confidence/swagger and ( most of all ) be more aggressive on the offensive end.

Doing this will allow him to be an effective and efficient scorer, just like he was last season. The same goes for Hibbert. Given our defense.....all we need is for all of the Starters to contribute in a meaningful manner every night.
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-05-2012 at 03:22 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Pacers/Bulls postgame thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    22 of his 25 shots were inside the arc, and did I mention he shot the ball 25 times? He's got star offensive ability, and stars don't camp outside and go 0-for-5 in an entire game. Stars put the team on their backs.

I hope Vogel tells him to be our leading scorer from this point forward. West is good and all, but it's not fair to him to ask him to be the #1 guy.
    First part is what I find most important in PG's performance and most significant point you bring forward. It was mentioned elsewhere here, too, and I completely agree. Vogel et all apparently finally got the memo that there's nothing wrong with a mid-range jumper. Everything perimeter by our wings doesn't have to be threes. In fact, it better that there be a more equal distribution of mid to long two and three point attempts.

Second graph, I don't know. Yes, PG was fantastic offensively. Yes he carried us when we needed it. Personally, I still don't see him as a likely top tier offensive option on a team, or on this team with Granger out. Great defender with ability to be a solid offensive contributor. I still like West & Hill as offensive initiators, unless they are having an off night, and everyone else playing off them for the most part. Not to say anyone else never get a play run for them, that we don't ride the hot hand on a given night, or that our guys don't have option to freelance some. I just think that's how this team works best.

Apologies for the disagreement to the those who find silver lining in our bench unit, but seems to me it's not getting consistenly better. I continue to view Mahinmi as the best guy so far, but his weaknesses pointed out by Nuntius - bad hands, bad passing and (my addition) foul prone - drive me nuts because they keep him from having a consistently substantial game impact.

Young is a nice unexpected surprise, but bound to be inconsistent. Everyone else new or returning right now is maddeningly nondescript and/or flat out ineffective. There's a reason why the bench was "benched" so much last night. They just aren't good enough to keep us close right now against a decent team. However, we need something or somebody to step up. Oh, the agony.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Nice win. Pretty ugly game, but then they have all been ugly. Good to finally get a win against a team with a record above 0.500.

Says something about our defense when only 1 player on offense could do anything and come away with a win.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Just want to "special mention" the West to Lance play in the final seconds of the game. That is what I talked about in the other thread. They should draw up more plays for Lance to cut inside and try to make some backdoor plays. With his speed, build and ability to finish, that will surely be a very good percentage shot especially when they can't make anything from the perimeter. And with good passers in Hibbert and West, it shouldn't be a problem with delivering the ball to a cutting player.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    We know PG really has the tools to be an elite scorer. What he really needs is consistency.
    Actually, he needs something else: better shot selection and getting to the rim. It finally happened last night.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Has anyone noticed how many elite passes David West is making? This guy is showing us more and more this year.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I don't know how somebody forgot to mention this..... Free Lance?
    Thankfully, we didn't need to uncage him last night. But that's the FIRST time PG has stepped up to erase the need.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    I'm just not sure Paul consistently has the skills to drive to the basket. I'm really happy with where he is right now. i don't ever see him cracking 18pgg, I think that is his absolute ceiling, but if he proves me wrong, then I will be thrilled, because I already really like what he gives us.
    Honest question here, not picking a fight.

If he can drive against Deng, who won't he be able to drive against? Deng's no slouch defending the ball.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Quote Originally Posted by Nuntius View Post
    1) [Ian] has bad hands. Unfortunately, that's a great weakness for a big. If he had good hands I firmly believe that he could be a starter on a team. Not a great starter but better than the likes of Sheldon Williams (just an example as I actually like Sheldon).
    And yet he did a great job disrupting the passing lanes tonight, with at least one steal and a couple of deflections. I said to my screen "What, NOW you've got good hands?"
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I don't know how somebody forgot to mention this..... Free Lance?
    You joke, but if Sam Young didn't take that nasty fall I bet Lance gets subbed out at the end.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Just want to "special mention" the West to Lance play in the final seconds of the game.
    I thought there were several times where the starters made it a special point to get it to Lance. DWest on the fast break, Paul George on the oop (that was a pass, right?), and so on.

I didn't think (and don't think) they were freezing Lance out, but I do think they're intentionally looking for him now. Quinn talked about it briefly, if I was understanding him correctly.

I did like one point where DJ tried to take the ball from Paul George, and Paul shook him off and went and scored.

Enjoy your time at PD!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Mood

Guys what a great game but honestly I'm a little concerned...

Have the pacers been taking those pills again? Kudos to DJ Augustin for having the courage to just say no

To me this was the most enjoyable game of the season. I just love tough defensive battles.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Some of the baskets Paul George scored yesterday were out of this world.Off balance,almost ready to fall down,hands all over his face and arms and still made it and won the foul too.Great great night by Paul.Led the team by example.
    Can we get once again a winning record tonight?Please?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't know if anyone else noticed, but I'm pretty sure the Pacers went from being out of the playoffs, to the 4th seed with this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    And yet he did a great job disrupting the passing lanes tonight, with at least one steal and a couple of deflections. I said to my screen "What, NOW you've got good hands?"
    Haha, I don't think that is quite what people mean when they say he has bad hands. I think it is more of he has butter fingers. Half the passes he receives he bobbles,and if his arm is slightly tapped he losses the ball.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Nice win. Pretty ugly game, but then they have all been ugly. Good to finally get a win against a team with a record above 0.500.
    Oh, come on now. The Lakers were only 1/2 a game behind the Bulls when we played them. Do they not count as a team above .500? If they don't, it's because we knocked them under .500.

It's still too early in the season to talk about over and under .500 for those 9 teams that around the .500 mark.

I thought there were several times where the starters made it a special point to get it to Lance. DWest on the fast break, Paul George on the oop (that was a pass, right?), and so on.

I didn't think (and don't think) they were freezing Lance out, but I do think they're intentionally looking for him now. Quinn talked about it briefly, if I was understanding him correctly.

I did like one point where DJ tried to take the ball from Paul George, and Paul shook him off and went and scored.
    I'm not thinking that Lance is being frozen out. I just think that it's a play that's not been utilized up until today. It's much better to have him cut and move around than camp outside for a 3pter. It also opens up space for Roy and West to operate once the defense gets attentive to a moving player.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

True. He doesn't have what one would call stone hands exactly but he's quite incosistent with them

I'm not thinking that Lance is being frozen out. I just think that it's a play that's not been utilized up until today. It's much better to have him cut and move around than camp outside for a 3pter. It also opens up space for Roy and West to operate once the defense gets attentive to a moving player.
    It IS interesting to wonder why we haven't seen that play until the very last minute in a close game with our biggest rival.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Saw a tweet this morning saying last night was the 9th game that the Pacers have held their opponents to under 40% shooting. Impressive 50% clip.

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post: