Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 76 to 100 of 166

Thread: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

  1. #76
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,416

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Don't know what the problem is. Pelicans are mean man!
    Yeah seriously. These are clearly not birds to be trifled with. They are out and out dicks. Aggressive dicks at that.

  2. #77

    Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

    I can't wait to see how Anthony Davis's career pans out. He is going to go down as the most legendary Pelican of all time!
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

  3. #78
    Pacers fan in FL Deadshot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    FLORIDA
    Posts
    1,936

    Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

    Some general responses to a few items in this thread...

    The Voodoo were actually owned by Benson at one time but a new ownership team decided to take over the name.

    There is a cat theme in Charlotte with the Panthers and the public transportation system. People here are still very bitter about the way everything went down. I think renaming the team the Hornets might help but if the product on the floor is bad, people won't show up. There is already some buzz about the Bobcats this year though, people seem to be legitimately excited (it helps that the Panthers and the city's star, Cam Newton, are performing poorly).

    But I love the idea of bringing the Jazz name back to NO. However, the team has so much history in Utah it would be hard to change it now (even though Jazz has nothing to do with the area).

    Edit: And regarding the name Pacers, I seem to recall the book Loose Balls talking about how the team would "set the pace for the league." The motorsports theme fits as well but I don't think that was actually the prime objective.
    Last edited by Deadshot; 12-05-2012 at 12:12 AM.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadshot For This Useful Post:


  5. #79
    Member rabid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    2,464

    Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

    Question one: does the league have veto power over team names?

    Question two: should there be a rule about markets getting to keep team naming rights if a team moves that had a locally-themed name?

    All pro sports seem to have this problem and it always ends up weird:

    - Tennessee Oilers (fo a couple years anyway)
    - Utah Jazz (we're used it to it now but it's still a very odd name for that team)
    - LA Lakers
    etc

  6. #80
    Member PR07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    4,960

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

    Yeah, Pelicans isn't the worst name in the world, but it's just kind of generic. I feel like Crawdads, Voodoo, Cajuns would've all been better options.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to PR07 For This Useful Post:


  8. #81
    streets ahead
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    DC
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,754

    Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

    Quote Originally Posted by pizza guy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Gators? Brass? Rebels? Cajuns? Generals?
    Snakefaces?

    This is the darkest timeline.

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to avoidingtheclowns For This Useful Post:


  10. #82
    noob oz_pacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    205
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

    The thing about a pelican is its beak can hold more than its belly can

    GRANGER!! FOR THE WIN.............. IT'S GOOD!!!!!

  11. #83
    Headband and Rec Specs rexnom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    New Haven, CT
    Posts
    8,751

    Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

    I started reading this thread against it but I'm totally in favor now. Just a great name from a comedy perspective alone. Pelicans are ridiculous birds.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:


  13. #84
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,340

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

    My only thought is why couldn't have they announced this before they came to Indiana? Area 55 and G2 woulda had a field day!
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:


  15. #85
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,069

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default

    I take it none of you watched college football in the 80's..... Pelicans are hardcore. I think of a pelicans I think of Benny blades separating some poor wr's head from his torso.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  16. #86
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,877
    Mood

    Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

    Will the New Orleans Truehoop network blog change its name to the Denzel Washington/Julia Roberts-themed "Pelican Brief"?

  17. #87
    Administrator Roaming Gnome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check
    Age
    40
    Posts
    5,935

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

    Quote Originally Posted by rabidpacersfan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Question one: does the league have veto power over team names?
    Yes, thank goodness. Remember when the Grizzlies moved to Memphis? They were going to be renamed "Express" in homage to the city's connection to Federal Express, however the league sighted a by-law that prevents teams from taking a nickname that ties in with a corporate sponsor.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:


  19. #88
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,083

    Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

    A pelican isn't quite a stork but almost. The "stork brings the baby" fable derives from the beak resembling a phallus--in other words an indirect way to explain to a child where babies come from.

    So . . . the pelican choice may have a phallus thing going for it. And if you don't think that gets taken into account, check out your largest area sporting goods store.

    Also, we were watching a heat game a couple years ago, their logo came up, and my wife said, "It's a scrotum!" Sure enough, look at the Heat logo. Now I often refer to them condescendingly as the Miami scrotums.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  20. #89
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,083

    Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, thank goodness. Remember when the Grizzlies moved to Memphis? They were going to be renamed "Express" in homage to the city's connection to Federal Express, however the league sighted a by-law that prevents teams from taking a nickname that ties in with a corporate sponsor.
    That's too bad. There are no grizzlies anywhere near Memphis, and "Memphis Express" is an awesome name.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:


  22. #90
    HE HIT! HE HIT! HE HIT! glazedham42's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    378

    Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

    The hornets court is not as nice looking as I remember. I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder. In other news, is that a Matt Geiger sighting in the picture below? I believe it is....


  23. #91
    Undefeated
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carmel
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,011

    Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

    I give it a three game losing streak before it's changed to the pelican'ts
    Danger Zone

  24. #92
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,299

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans



    The Pelicans is a hell of lot better than the Thunder, Magic, basically every WNBA name, etc.

    I had to Google this but... Dream? Sky? Sun? Fever? Liberty? Sparks? Mercury? Silver Stars? Storm? Shock? My God those are even worse than the league's product. The Lynx and the Mystics are the only teams in the league whose nickname isn't horrible.
    Last edited by BRushWithDeath; 12-05-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:


  26. #93
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,272
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, thank goodness. Remember when the Grizzlies moved to Memphis? They were going to be renamed "Express" in homage to the city's connection to Federal Express, however the league sighted a by-law that prevents teams from taking a nickname that ties in with a corporate sponsor.
    But can they veto names that don't violate the no corporate rules?


    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Better than the Bobcats, and it has greater meaning to the state than just a random animal. I do think Brass would have been a much better name though. I just hate when teams pick names that have no meaning at all to the city or state they are in.

    Hopefully Charlotte can take the name Hornets back, and the colors.
    If I remember right, the Bobcats was the name chosen because the original owner (Bob or Robert something or other) was an egotistical prick.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  27. #94
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,049

    Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Steagles View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If I remember right, the Bobcats was the name chosen because the original owner (Bob or Robert something or other) was an egotistical prick.
    I thought that was always more of a rumor or jab at the owner more than an actual fact.

  28. #95
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,824
    Mood

    Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

    Pacers is the best name in the league. It is the most meaningful name to the game of basketball. A Pacer is a member of the franchise that is setting the pace of the league. A Pacer is a player that is setting the pace of the game. For over 35 years I have always used their name in context of their play.
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  29. #96
    Indiana Pacers Forever Pacer Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    ya
    Posts
    3,824
    Mood

    Thumbs up Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

    Not trying to discriminate, but Pelicans should be a WNBA name...just sayin!
    .

    Frank Vogel says "Killer instinct, start strong, build a lead and then step on their throats."

  30. #97
    Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Lafayette, IN
    Posts
    941

    Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

    Cue the new intro video with an underwater view of a fish swimming...on the side of the fish is the opponent that night(obviously)....then out of nowhere a pelican comes crashing through the water and scoops up the fish and rests on a perch...they zoom in on the pelicans eye and some rock music starts...."On your feet Pelicans fans..."

    I'm pretty sure it will be even more retarded in person than how I am picturing it.

  31. #98
    @SteaglesPD Steagles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    The 502 and 317
    Age
    18
    Posts
    3,272
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought that was always more of a rumor or jab at the owner more than an actual fact.
    Somewhere, I heard that it was true. I can't remember where or how reliable it was, but I'm not sure anyone but Bob Johnson knows for sure.
    "What you do is so loud, I can't hear what you say" -Andrew Luck
    "If you turn the other cheek, I'm gonna hit you in the other cheek, too" -Charles Barkley
    Freshman at Louisville
    Follow me on Twitter @SteaglesPD
    1000th post - 4/16/12
    2000th post - 6/24/12
    3000th post - 3/8/13

  32. #99
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

    Quote Originally Posted by PD GameBattles 2k13 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Heres a picture of the old New Orleans Pelicans minor league baseball team. Even uses Blue, Red, Gold. Maybe where they got the idea?

    http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...alternate2.png


    They could just replace the baseball bat with a uni brow
    Why do I think of the old Heckel & Jeckel cartoons when I see that?

  33. #100
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,746

    Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is a pacer, exactly?
    A horse. Has to do with horse racing. Look up an Indiana racing horse named Dan Patch. He never lost a race.

Similar Threads

  1. NBA completes purchase of New Orleans Hornets [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-20-2010, 06:20 PM
  2. Gary Chouest still wants to keep Hornets in New Orleans [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-10-2010, 10:30 PM
  3. Jac Sperling says his job is to keep New Orleans Hornets local [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2010, 08:30 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2009, 07:34 PM
  5. Contender/Pretender Vol. 19 - New Orleans Hornets
    By Ultimate Frisbee in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-30-2004, 03:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •