Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

Undefeated

Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

For the scientific (and sophomoric), the scientific name is Pelecanus.

I'm pretty sure Area 55 can come up with some good chants based around pelecanus.
    Danger Zone

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

I always got a chuckle out of the "Utah Jazz."

They went from the multi-colored melting pot of New Orleans to Salt-white religious people laying out a complex jazz rhythm. Right.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

4. The Following User Says Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by glazedham42 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This totally brought back memories of Hugo the Hornet doing the Bug on the Windshield dunk during an all-star game. Man he was the best. Whatever happened to the mascot dunk contest? I'd rather watch that than some of the last few dunk contests (anything beyond VC really).

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    But I love the idea of bringing the Jazz name back to NO. However, the team has so much history in Utah it would be hard to change it now (even though Jazz has nothing to do with the area).
    It's been mentioned quite often by fans ever since the NBA moved back to New Orleans. Their ownership has already asked Utah if they'd consider selling back the Jazz name to New Orleans and (the late) Larry Miller said no way.

And Utah Jazz might sound strange in a cultural context, but it's what they've been known as for pretty much an entire generation now. They would be very dumb from a marketing standpoint to give that up at this point (unless they get paid a truly massive sum to do so). It wouldn't be wise on their part just to make things sound right for someone else when it's going to come at their own expense. It sounds strange to some for obvious reasons, but younger fans of the current generation have grown up associating the Jazz, Stockton, Malone to be with Utah. It'd essentially be marketing suicide to make up some new hokey nickname at this point unless they have something totally shrewd.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

Pelicans has started to grow on me, somewhat. New Orleans is a fun goofy city, Pelicans is a fun goofy name. Their marketing team better do something during Mardi Gras with the word Cans though. Until Stern fines the hell outta em anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Pelicans has started to grow on me, somewhat. New Orleans is a fun goofy city, Pelicans is a fun goofy name. Their marketing team better do something during Mardi Gras with the word Cans though. Until Stern fines the hell outta em anyway.
    Yep, it's the kind of fun quirky name that you can use to attract families in a football dominant city.
    There are cooler options, like "Krewe" maybe, but "Pelicans" provides some fun family-focused opportunities for logo, marketing, all that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    It's been mentioned quite often by fans ever since the NBA moved back to New Orleans. Their ownership has already asked Utah if they'd consider selling back the Jazz name to New Orleans and (the late) Larry Miller said no way.

And Utah Jazz might sound strange in a cultural context, but it's what they've been known as for pretty much an entire generation now. They would be very dumb from a marketing standpoint to give that up at this point (unless they get paid a truly massive sum to do so). It wouldn't be wise on their part just to make things sound right for someone else when it's going to come at their own expense. It sounds strange to some for obvious reasons, but younger fans of the current generation have grown up associating the Jazz, Stockton, Malone to be with Utah. It'd essentially be marketing suicide to make up some new hokey nickname at this point unless they have something totally shrewd.

Or if the team goes through a sustained period of sucking. Like if they turn into the Wizards for 10 straight seasons. Also, with the last remains of the Stockton Malone era gone (Sloan), that probably would have been about as good a time as any to re-brand. Now that they've already decided to change to Pelicans I doubt they would be allowed to change the team name again for at least a 7-8 years even if "Jazz" did become available.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wonder if they'll have a real pelican for their mascot
    "We want Miami"

Utah needs a new name. Give New Orleans back the Jazz. Give Charlotte back the Hornets. A new name for Utah would be..... Utah - .......
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm sorry... I know some of you approve of the name, but I'm going back to my original post on this which was --- "The PELICANS???"

It's a horrible name for an NBA team. Even if it is geographically relevant, that doesn't make it a good name.

The Jazz is what they should be. The Hornets should be in Charlotte. Utah should be..... something. Amazes me that Utah even has an NBA team.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Amazes me that Utah even has an NBA team.
    Why? They've been in the top 10 in attendance since 2000. I would go back and look further, but ESPN's records don't go back any further. We can only dream of that kind of fan support.

EDIT: According to this site, Utah has averaged 19,000+ at home since the 91-92 season. Just scanning the rest of them with my eyes, the Knicks and the Bulls are the only other team that comes close to it. Bulls outright beat it on average, seeing as how they have seasons where they averaged 23,000+. Knicks have two seasons in that span below 19,000. I don't think the Lakers can because Staples doesn't hold that many. (They don't even have one season above 19,000)

The fan support in Utah is really spectacular.

http://www.apbr.org/attendance.html
    Last edited by Since86; 12-06-2012 at 10:39 AM.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anyway.... my main point was the Jazz name should've stayed in New Orleans. The Pelicans is an awful name.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadshot View Post
    Hmm, interesting stuff. Here's what the official site has to say:

http://www.nba.com/pacers/history/pa...e_history.html

Also, I do remember reading that the original owners indicated another reason they chose the name was because the team would set the "pace" for the league, as another poster mentioned.

i suspect roger goodell is behind this
    Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Still think Swamp Things would be so much better.

150px-Swamp_Thing_1.jpg

Owned by DC Comics.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    Still think Swamp Things would be so much better.

150px-Swamp_Thing_1.jpg

Owned by DC Comics.
    Makes one wonder if Disney would ever hook up with Orlando's team and use the Marvel icon:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ch&um=1&itbs=1

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Kid Minny and I usually agree on a lot of stuff, but I love the name Pelicans. It's a nice change of pace and very regionally appropriate. Of course the irony is that the Hornets mascout was Hugo and was named after the hurricane that hit the Carolinas. So you'd think that they'd go with Hurricanes and keep Hugo upon arriving in NOR.

Then you could drink a hurricane at a Hurricane game while riding out a hurricane...named Hugo. Some things just make too much sense I guess.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

The more I hear it, the more I like it. It's awesome. It makes me think about Pelicans more, and as we have already discussed, they are the most absurd of all birds, so natural comedy ensues.

I gotta agree Cdash and Seth. IMO one of the top 5 names in the NBA right away. I just love it. It's a little absrud, it's regionally appropriate, and the first time they have a good team is just going to be fantastic. I am really rooting for the Cody Zeller and Anthony Davis front court to happen down there, because they are both naturally humorous guys and I can't wait to see what they would do with Pelicans (plus I think they make total sense as an inter changeable front court in the NBA).
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 12-07-2012 at 12:59 PM.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    Given that the Pacers are essentially referring to race horses, as Gnome and I have discussed before, if they ever decide to re-brand the team and get away from the famous Pacer "P", the obvious choice would be a new logo incorporating a race horse in some fashion. It could be done well, or it could be lousy depending on what they come up with, but it's a viable alternative if they ever decide to really change our brand one day.
    The Pacers name is the result of a combination of terms. Pacer refers both to harness racing and the Indianapolis 500. Therefore a horse related logo would not serve as a proper logo. See the release on www.pacers.com: http://www.nba.com/pacers/history/pa...e_history.html or read it in the quoted text:

The Naming of the Pacers

When professional basketball came to Indianapolis in 1967, one of the key decisions would be what to call the new American Basketball Association franchise.According to Indianapolis attorney, Richard D. Tinkham, the nickname “Pacers” was decided on through a collective decision of the original investors. Tinkham, one of those investors, recalled that the nickname was a combination of the state’s rich history with the harness racing pacers (investor Chuck Barnes was a horse racing enthusiast) and the pace car used for the running of the Indianapolis 500. Tinkham said the “Pacers” decision was an easy one, but the real debate was whether the team should be called the Indiana Pacers or the Indianapolis Pacers. Since one of the original ideas for the team was to have it playing throughout the state with its base in Indianapolis, the official team name became the Indiana Pacers.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to 1984 For This Useful Post:

Mood

I realize it refers to both. Obviously this would be picking and choosing, which they are free to do and would be a legitimate decision if/when.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    The Pelicans is an awful name.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Isaac For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Pacers aren't gold either, they're yellow too. You don't get to change the name of colors just because it sounds better, I don't care what anyone says.
    By that logic, the Lakers, Green Bay Packers, Pittsburgh Steelers, Washington Redskins, et al are also Yellow.

I harp on this subject all the time on the sportslogos.net board, but color descriptions are meaningless. One person's Yellow, is another person's Gold...it's all marketing in the end.

future dragon trainer Heisenberg's Avatar

Sports Logo

yes, all those teams are yellow

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ColorWerx View Post
    By that logic, the Lakers, Green Bay Packers, Pittsburgh Steelers, Washington Redskins, et al are also Yellow.
    This is the first time I have heard of any of those teams claiming their yellow is gold.