Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

Default Re: Hornets changing name to New Orleans Pelicans

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Cajuns would have been good, or if they insist on an animal, the Crawdads...

One thing is true
    about the pelican.
    Its beak can hold more
    than its belly can.
    Is that similar to "biting off more than you can chew"?

Hmm, interesting stuff. Here's what the official site has to say:

The Naming of the Pacers
    When professional basketball came to Indianapolis in 1967, one of the key decisions would be what to call the new American Basketball Association franchise.

According to Indianapolis attorney, Richard D. Tinkham, the nickname “Pacers” was decided on through a collective decision of the original investors. Tinkham, one of those investors, recalled that the nickname was a combination of the state’s rich history with the harness racing pacers (investor Chuck Barnes was a horse racing enthusiast) and the pace car used for the running of the Indianapolis 500.

Tinkham said the “Pacers” decision was an easy one, but the real debate was whether the team should be called the Indiana Pacers or the Indianapolis Pacers. Since one of the original ideas for the team was to have it playing throughout the state with its base in Indianapolis, the official team name became the Indiana Pacers.
    http://www.nba.com/pacers/history/pa...e_history.html

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deadshot For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"Pelicans...in the lottery again"

This is the worst name in all professional sports. I will laugh at them when they are announced at BLF.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:

It's not that bad. New Orleans Pelicans. It rolls off the tongue well. It's unusual and there's a local connection, not the typical 1-2 syllables, i like it much better than "Thunder" and such.

Given that the Pacers are essentially referring to race horses, as Gnome and I have discussed before, if they ever decide to re-brand the team and get away from the famous Pacer "P", the obvious choice would be a new logo incorporating a race horse in some fashion. It could be done well, or it could be lousy depending on what they come up with, but it's a viable alternative if they ever decide to really change our brand one day.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by The Sleeze View Post
    Cue the new intro video with an underwater view of a fish swimming...on the side of the fish is the opponent that night(obviously)....then out of nowhere a pelican comes crashing through the water and scoops up the fish and rests on a perch...they zoom in on the pelicans eye and some rock music starts...."On your feet Pelicans fans..."

I'm pretty sure it will be even more retarded in person than how I am picturing it.
    Because nothing screams basketball like:

5632851_std.jpg

144241__NEMO_l.jpg

THEY SHOULD CALL THEMSELVES THE NEW ORLEANS NIMRODS.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MyFavMartin For This Useful Post:

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    Given that the Pacers are essentially referring to race horses, as Gnome and I have discussed before, if they ever decide to re-brand the team and get away from the famous Pacer "P", the obvious choice would be a new logo incorporating a race horse in some fashion. It could be done well, or it could be lousy depending on what they come up with, but it's a viable alternative if they ever decide to really change our brand one day.
    I'd rather see an Indy racecar used. Yes, it was originally for harness racing, but who associates Indiana with harness racing? Though the connection to horses might be a good connection to the Colts, I'm not sure I'd want that kind of overlap.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MyFavMartin For This Useful Post:

Mood

Just feed them alka seltzer and they will go away....or maybe that was for sea gulls?
    Last edited by HC; 12-05-2012 at 12:44 PM.
    "No one else can see the preservation of the martyr in me" -- Corey Taylor

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    I had to Google this but... Dream? Sky? Sun? Fever? Liberty? Sparks? Mercury? Silver Stars? Storm? Shock? My God those are even worse than the league's product. The Lynx and the Mystics are the only teams in the league whose nickname isn't a horible.
    What is wrong with Storm or Shock? And why are those somehow "worse" than Mystic?

Not sure what the supposed consensus criteria are for team nicknames - I mean, an animal should be somewhat feisty, but other than that what should be considered so bad about the Fever or the Liberty?

After all, I suppose none of them evoke the fear and awe of a Lake or a Nugget.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Back to Bob Johnson and the name Bobcats. It was during the press conference when the name was introduced, Johnson mentioned he liked Bobcats because he felt like he was putting his name behind the success or failures of the team. Later in the press conference I remember him saying something to the effect of everyone knowing who the buck stops with in regards to the Bobcats.

So yes, that was a product of Bob Johnson's ego!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    you thought Gordon wanted out before? think the guy wants to be a Pelican!?
    Anthony Davis should be okay with it. Some once said he already looks like a real-life Angry Bird.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    That's actually a pretty great logo. Is this official?

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Brass. The New Orleans Brass. Is that not a clear winner?

21. The Following User Says Thank You to MnvrChvy For This Useful Post:

Will Michael Jordan pickup the name Hornets for the Charlotte franchise? I could only hope so.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post

After all, I suppose none of them evoke the fear and awe of a Lake or a Nugget.
    Or the flippin' Knickerbockers!

streets ahead

Name That Team
    Have the sports leagues run out of mascots?

By Sam Eifling|Posted Wednesday, Feb. 19, 2003

The new NBA franchise in Charlotte needs a mascot, and the city fathers have uncapped the suggestion box for the public. One of the informal guidelines is no insect names—the city had its heart broken by its last team, the sharply named Hornets, who blew town to play in New Orleans. So, what creature has emerged as the early front-runner? Some heretofore unused beast? Nope. The people have spoken, and they're clamoring for the Charlotte Cougars, the lamest idea they could have possibly come up with.

No, really. Cougars steadfastly conforms to every tried-and-staid rule for how to name your sports franchise. For one thing, the leagues long ago reached the saturation point for large felines. Major League Baseball puts up the Tigers, the NHL sports Panthers and Predators (tigers of the saber-toothed variety). The NFL fields Lions, Jaguars, Bengals (barely), and the Carolina Panthers, who play home games a wind-aided punt from the site of Charlotte's planned basketball arena. Twenty-five years ago, North Carolina supported an ABA team named the Cougars, and there's already a Women's Football League team in Greensboro that shares the same nickname.

More disheartening, though, is the mascot cul-de-sac that "Cougars" would signify. Two of the last four NFL expansion teams were cats, and another was the "Texans," hardly a revelation. The NBA's latest growth spurts brought the laudable Raptors and Timberwolves but also uninspiring singular nouns like Heat and Magic. Major League Soccer (10 teams, no animals) is big on these kinds of mascots, too, offering up the United, Burn, and Galaxy. The neophyte WNBA sports the Sun, Sting, Lynx, Mercury, Liberty, Storm, Shock, Fever, Fire, and Sol.

A proper mascot shouldn't be singular or adjectival (can United players exist separately?). Animals are usually a safer bet, but really, Cougars? Can't we as a civilization uncover mascots with more panache than another round of conspicuously plush animals?

Actually, we can. The Charlotte Regional Sports Commission has received more than 750 different name submissions thus far, mostly at its Web site. It has been passing along the realistic candidates to the team ownership, which is headed by Black Entertainment Television founder Robert Johnson. "Cougars" has lots of support, but some of the less obvious offerings are sheer delight. Sarcastically, perhaps, "Charlottans" has been proposed. E.B. White might have been flattered with "Spiders." Charlotte's per capita donation to its arts council is the highest in the nation, so there were artsy suggestions—"Sculptors," for example.

The city also boasts the country's richest banking center outside of New York City, so someone chipped in "Bankers"—and, hey, why not? Just as the Hornets' home court was known as the Hive, the Bankers could play in the Vault, and arena sponsorship would be a shoo-in. Bankers is a copy editor's dream—abundant financial puns, on down to the bank shot. There's also the ironic acknowledgement that the NBA isn't a league of fearsome predators so much as it is a league of somnambulant millionaires pushing the ball up the court like a loan application across a desk.

Regional animals are overrated, anyway. Just look at the latest baseball expansion teams. What kind of personality can you possibly ascribe to a Devil Ray? Would fewer than 95 percent of Diamondbacks fans run like hell if they encountered the real thing? "Hornets" worked because it was more legend than local fauna. When Charles Cornwallis led troops through downtown Charlotte in 1780, his boys were peppered with shots from militiamen hiding behind trees and bushes. He kvetched later that it was like walking into a nest of hornets. Charlotte residents still revel in the association—though it should be noted that their first choice for that team was the singular and nauseatingly generic "Spirit." In one of its few laudable acts, team ownership overrode them.

Admittedly, the Hornets fit the city so marvelously, that nothing, not even "Bankers," could live up. But the healing won't begin by snaring yet another feline into mascot captivity, stuffed toy sales be damned. The Charlotte bosses still have time (the NBA wants a proposal by early April) and plenty of options. If all else fails, they could always just roll out "Wildcats."

(Slate)
    This is the darkest timeline.

I actually like it for two reasons:

1) It's unique, and 2) It ends with an "s" (I hate names like Heat, Thunder, Storm, Shock, etc.).

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Smits Happens For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by MnvrChvy View Post
    Brass. The New Orleans Brass. Is that not a clear winner?
    At the time when the Hornets moved to New Orleans... The New Orleans Brass was the local minor league hockey franchise. I thought they should have just bought the name right then and there, or waited for the franchise to fold/move (which it did in short order).
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    That's actually a pretty great logo. Is this official?
    Just something I saw on the interwebs and thought looked good.

I'm just glad they didn't go with another lame "it's plural, but it's also singular" name that was supposed to be all new and hip. I totally forgot to put the Heat in my earlier post. At least they have the little tail thing on their T which is kind of cool.

Besides, pelicans are ****ing mean.

"I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

People just don't like it because it's different. When there are posts like "What do pelicans have to do with basketball" it makes it really obvious. I hate singular names so I always disliked Krewe and Brass, but Brass would be the worst. When they are on a losing streak, what will they be called?

Since we're talking about the Hornets name going back to Charlotte, maybe some old-timers can answer this question: Why did the Charlotte Hornets trade Alonzo Mourning? I've never understood the trading of a young All-Star center who immediately made them a playoff team.

Quote Originally Posted by PacersHomer View Post
    People just don't like it because it's different. When there are posts like "What do pelicans have to do with basketball" it makes it really obvious. I hate singular names so I always disliked Krewe and Brass, but Brass would be the worst. When they are on a losing streak, what will they be called?
    I was thinking about the tie in with the city being for Brass as the nickname. Never did think about the Br*ss Factor of a losing team!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    Since we're talking about the Hornets name going back to Charlotte, maybe some old-timers can answer this question: Why did the Charlotte Hornets trade Alonzo Mourning? I've never understood the trading of a young All-Star center who immediately made them a playoff team.
    I don't know if this is the case for him being traded, but I do remember Alonzo's attitude wasn't the greatest and he had a propensity of getting into on court altercations. He mellowed substantially when he went to the Heat!
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Roaming Gnome View Post
    He mellowed substantially when he went to the Heat!

I guess moving to Miami as a young millionaire can have that effect.....

Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    If Wikipedia is to be believed, it was contract issues and not getting along with Grandmama.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post: