Trader Joe's post in the Colts-Lions thread about how great it is to be an Indy sports fan right now got me thinking about just how major the year 2012 has been for Indy/Indiana sports. Off the top of my head, here is what has happened:
1. The resurgence of Indiana basketball that began last December with the shot against UK and carried over into the Big 10 season in the new year. Our improvement was way ahead of schedule. The Hoosiers took fans on a memorable ride last year.
2. The Colts fired Polian and Caldwell. We made absolutely excellent hires in Grigson and Pagano.
3. Super Bowl 46 in Indianapolis. By all accounts, the event was a smashing success in every way imaginable. Walking around downtown that week was some of the most fun I've ever had. People from all over the country said that Indy was one of the best, if not the best, sites for a Super Bowl that they had ever seen. We of course got some major help from the unusually mild weather that hung around all week. The game itself was awesome too as it featured a rematch of the epic Pats-Giants Super Bowl in 07-08. This one turned out to be almost an epic. Definitely one of the best weeks in Indy history.
4. Colts release Manning. This was a sad moment, but you can't talk about 2012 Indy sports and leave out the emotional farewell speech given by the most famous athlete in the city's history.
5. Colts draft Luck, who was one of the most hyped prospects ever. We can certainly see why.
6. The young exciting Pacers finish with the 5th best record in the NBA, win a playoff series, and put up a tough fight against the Heat.
7. 2012 Indy 500. I thought this was a great race with an extremely exciting finish. You can't really ask for more action than this.
8. BMW Championship at Crooked Stick. Anyone else go to this? Having a big PGA event like this is a big deal as few things draw crowds like the PGA. I went on the Sunday and there were thousands and thousands of people there. It's not everyday you get to see Tiger, Phil, Rory, Vijay, etc tee it up in your backyard.
9. (Thanks LuckSwagger). The Indiana Fever win the 2012 WNBA Championship.
10. The Colts rally around their ill coach and get off to an improbable 8-4 start. Andrew Luck is playing out of his mind as a rookie. We are without question the biggest pleasant surprise in the NFL this season.
11. The Indiana Hoosiers start the season ranked #1 and so far have bulldozed everyone in their path.
12. Notre Dame Football has had a historic return to glory and will be playing in the National Championship Game.
That's 12 major things off the top of my head that have taken place in Indy/Indiana in 2012. Am I forgetting anything? This has been an absolutely incredible sports year. I certainly won't forget it.