Thread: Starting at Guard for your Indiana Pacers... REGGIE MILLER!?!?

Default Starting at Guard for your Indiana Pacers... REGGIE MILLER!?!?

That's just wrong. Freddy deserves to be out there. Even if Reggie's playing great, Freddy still deserves it.

Default Re: Starting at Guard for your Indiana Pacers... REGGIE MILLER!?!?

Were you expecting Reggie not to start?

It doesn't surprise nor upset me by the way.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You'll see You'll all see when Reggie is scoring 18+ a game Muhahahaha I wish
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Until I see or hear these words attributed to Reggie Miller I know he will be starting:
    "I've asked Coach Carlisle to let me come off the bench. I feel at this point in my career, at least right now and coming off an injury, that myself and the team benefits from this arrangement"

I don't think there is anyone in the organization that would sit Reggie barring him being a complete embarrassment on the court. The only one that would or could keep Reggie out of the starting lineup is a Dr or Reggie himself.

He will simply get his legacy starts until he retires unless he decides otherwise... IMHO...

-Bball

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

MSA - love the avatar!

Maybe - JUST MAYBE - Fred's a little bit tired and needs a few less minutes.

Just sayin' is all.

And maybe - JUST MAYBE - Reggie has actually earned a starting spot on the Pacers. Have you actually looked at the roster?! There's plenty of minutes to go around.

Loyalty anyone? Carlyle's word anyone? Fresh, rested former superstar/ team leader anyone?

Reggie starts even if he needs an oxygen tank. End of story.
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Quote Originally Posted by Los Angeles
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fresh, rested former superstar/ team leader anyone?

Reggie starts even if he needs an oxygen tank. End of story.
    Those two statements are mutually exclusive.

Say what you want. I think giving Reggie the start before he's had a minute of PT in the season is a slap in the face to Fred Jones. Carlisle has made it clear that his policy is that if you take over a starting spot due to injury, you keep that spot until you stop performing. Look at the Anderson/Tinsley thing last year. That's his established policy, but he says it doesn't matter if it's Reggie.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think Fred will be mad.He knows what Reg has done for this franchise.And from the statement that was put by Bball it looks as if Reg has asked to be put on the bench and Carlise just says "No" I agree with Los Angeles we have plenty of minutes to go around.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Uh no, I think Bball meant that Reg will start no matter what UNLESS he asks to come off the bench. He hasn't done so, or at least we can assume as much until we hear otherwise.

I don't really care if Reg starts or not. Freddie will be getting more minutes anyway, and as short-handed as we are anything Reg can do will help enormously, esp. psychologically.

How well he can play coming in cold into this lineup remains to be seen.

Reggie will start. And I think he should. We need his energy and his presence to give a jumpstart for this team. For this reason I do think he should start.

*coming from a Fred Jones fan nonetheless*

But I do believe that Freddy has earned the starters spot.
    Don't ask Marvin Harrison what he did during the bye week. "Batman never told where the Bat Cave is," he explained.

sweabs

One thing I like about Sam Mitchell, who is coaching the Raptors this year, is he plays guys who are playing well. Sure, Vince is the big-name guy with all-star status, but if Morris Peterson is playing with more energy and performing better on the court, Mo-Pete stays in the game.

I hope Carlisle takes a similar approach with Reggie and Freddie. If Freddie is playing well, and deserves to be out there...Rick should keep him out on the floor. He shouldn't feel "obliged" to play Reggie just because it's Reggie. But the same thing goes for him...if Uncle Regg is playin well, keep him out there.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So who here wants to be the one to tell Fred Jones that he has to give his spot up to a 38-yar old man?

I feel bad for Freddie. He deserves better than this.

If Reggie wants to show true leadership, he'll ask Carlisle to bring him off the bench.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    So who here wants to be the one to tell Fred Jones that he has to give his spot up to a 38-yar old man?

I feel bad for Freddie. He deserves better than this.
    Freddy can handle it. I think he'll gladly accept whatever role he's given.

Jones will get starter minutes. Besides, the team could use a morale boost right now and Fred could use the rest.

Freddie isn't Al.
    The best exercise of the human heart is reaching down and picking someone else up.

Cheeseburger in Paradise Los Angeles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ABADays
    Freddie isn't Al.
    Oh, MAN. Sometimes the jokes just write themselves!
    “Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts.” - Winston Churchill

“If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning.” - Catherine Aird

Yeah I'm sure Fred will be pretty broken up about it.... since Carlisle & Co. have always been clear that Reggie WILL start....IF able....unless Reg himself requests otherwise....

Probably best for the old man to be starting while he's warmed up....rather than coming off the bench cooled down and stiff.

I don't think the AJ/Tinsley issue is a proper precedent...it IS different for Reggie.... he's a future hall of famer....has been the loyal face of the franchise for 17years.... he's a Legend....He's already shown that he would take a dimished (on court)role with class...and "passed the torch" to JO and the young ones the last few years...

Reggie will know when the time is right for his role to change again...and it should be up to him.

Freddie's playing great.... he'll still get plenty of PT.

I have no problem with Reggie starting. Zero.

That said, JJ should be the one coming off the bench, not Fred.

Actually, I forgot last night's chat. Reggie's starting at center in place of Edwards, so that solves that debate.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    Say what you want. I think giving Reggie the start before he's had a minute of PT in the season is a slap in the face to Fred Jones. Carlisle has made it clear that his policy is that if you take over a starting spot due to injury, you keep that spot until you stop performing. Look at the Anderson/Tinsley thing last year. That's his established policy, but he says it doesn't matter if it's Reggie.
    That policy is STILL in place. The starting job was Reggie's before the injury, when he got hurt, Stephen Jackson took over, When Jackson was suspended Jones took over. So Carlisle is still using that same policy.

Well, can't really argue with 23 points tonight.

I'm sure Freddie will accept whatever role he is given...for now. When Jackson was acquired he made it pretty clear that he felt that he was Reggie's heir apparent. If that turns out to be true what does Freddie do? He's not some guy who's just happy to have made an NBA roster. At a certain point, I would imagine that he, like many if not most players in his position, would get frustrated always being knocked back to 2nd on the SG depth chart. If you feel that the best years of your playing career are being wasted because of it, you're going to either go somewhere else or ask to be sent somewhere else. I'm sure he's okay with things for the time being, but down the road I'm not so sure if he will be.

I liked what Reggie did last night. He actually shot the ball just about every time he had an opportunity to. He needs to do that, I know he's said it, but I'd like to see him follow up even when JO and Jackson are back. He won't have as many chances to shoot then, but he needs to use the ones he gets. I don't have a problem with him starting per say, I do have a problem with him starting and deferring most of the time like last season.

Reggie is not a 3. He needs to stay at the 2. The problem with the game was the overall defense. Our defense has been atrocious. And I fully agree with Kerosene. Reggie needs to stay agressive. I'd rather see him play 25 agressive than 40 as a decoy.

The team also needs to run more plays for him. I never understand why they don't run screens for him everytime down. It isn't like he guns it when he isn't open. He'll feed the post if the shot isn't there, or swing it back for a pick and roll. I have always thought that he should be the first option on offense. With his free throws and three point percentage, he usually averages an exceptionally high number of points per shot attempt, more than our so-called big guns have been able to manage.

When everyone else come back, I bet the offense will flow much better (defense remains the problem). Without Artest and Harrington to complain about the number of shots that they are getting, we should see more unselfish basketball. JO should also be able to pick up the slack on inside defense/offense. F. Jones, J. Jones, Croshere and Harrison all deserve to stay in the rotation. And by staying in the rotation, I mean more than 10 minutes per game. I could also do without A.J. since he is average at best. I'd rather have Freddie backing up the point any day.

Tins/ F. Jones
    Miller/Jackson
    J. Jones/Bender
    Oneal/Croshere
    Foster/Harrison
    Johnson/Pollard as extras.

The reason I put J. Jones in the starting lineup would to maximize the inside/outside game with Oneal. And because he can provide solid rebounding to compliment Reggie (at least he has when the others have been out). Jackson would also get more opportunities with the second unit. And I think Harrison really needs to stay in the mix. It's so refreshing to watch a big seven footer who can rebound, block shots, and score points! When was the last time we had that? (Smits couldn't rebound.)

"I have always thought that he should be the first option on offense."

I agree.