Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 57 of 57

Thread: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play

  1. #51
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,130

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Funny how the Danny Grangers fan club members and Danny Granger excuse makers are the ones that want to trade Paul George because "is enough of excuse making" lol, yeah let's trade the guy with the must potential and let's keep Danny and West for the future because "they are guys that play like old mans so they should be able to play for at least 5 more years" .....


    At this point I'm hoping they trade him for another "old man game" type of player to see what this same people are going to say when Paul George is kicking a$$ on another team and the Pacers are in rebuilding mode once again.
    Paul will never "kick ***" on another team. I think Paul is largely who he is at this point and THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT. The problem is that because he was a tall athletic guy on the wing he somehow drew Tracy McGrady comparisons which were INSANE. Paul barely scored 16 ppg in the WAC on really bad percentages. He's just not an offensive dynamo.

    There's a reason a lot of us drooled over the potential of a wing combo involving a healthy Eric Gordon (a pipe dream at this point obviously) and Paul George. Gordon is really good at all the stuff is not good at, while also being pretty good in the areas Paul is really good at. Health, and personnel situations have rendered this pairing impossible, but a healthy Eric Gordon and Paul George would probably be the best wing combo in the NBA, but like I said just not going to happen.

    The point isn't that Paul sucks or is sucking, yes he's had a bad pair of games offensively, but that is the type of player he is and always will be.

    Instead of people just admitting that they set the bar for Paul WAY TOO HIGH, they would rather say Paul isn't living up to his potential, well I vehemently disagree, and I'm sad to see this happening because I said it would happen when people started tossing the T-Mac comps around. Paul is EXACTLY the guy I thought he would be back in the Chicago series, a really decent two way wing, who can get hot from outside and give you 30 point nights, but for the most part is a really average offensive player that plays smothering D rebounds better than any other 2 in the league pretty much and is also an above average passer when you put him in low pressure passing situations. Don't blame the player if you're mad at Paul, blame your expectations that were just way off base. And Vnzla, this is not directed at you, I was just replying to your post since it is not a Danny Granger vs. Paul George thing, it is an unreasonable expectations Paul Goerge vs. Real Paul George thing.

    And Paul may still explode and become a 20 ppg guy, but that should be a surprise for anyone who has watched him, not what is expected.
    Last edited by Trader Joe; 12-02-2012 at 09:56 PM.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  3. #52
    Redemption. docpaul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Noblesville, IN
    Posts
    1,685

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play

    Agree with a lot of the frustration with PG... but then, I saw this:

    http://instagram.com/p/SwdgUunMqA/

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul George
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Put up 500 jump shots.. #NewRoutine gotta get my s*** back!

  4. #53

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play

    Quote Originally Posted by docpaul View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree with a lot of the frustration with PG... but then, I saw this:

    http://instagram.com/p/SwdgUunMqA/



    Ugh, I bet they were all 3's! I'd be more excited by 500 layups.

    Trader Joe, you say people shouldn't be disappointed because their expectations are high. Then you go and say he's exactly what you thought he'd be, and that includes playing "smothering D." Considering that often has not been the case, I'd say you should count yourself among the disappointed (or change your statement).

  5. #54
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    7,016

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play

    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdStrike View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ugh, I bet they were all 3's! I'd be more excited by 500 layups.

    Trader Joe, you say people shouldn't be disappointed because their expectations are high. Then you go and say he's exactly what you thought he'd be, and that includes playing "smothering D." Considering that often has not been the case, I'd say you should count yourself among the disappointed (or change your statement).
    His D at times has been good, but overall it's inconsistent, effectively like the rest of his game. Personally, I'd prefer he establish consistency on defense first. Make his defense his calling card. Aspire to develop into a DPOY candidate. This would mean better off the ball D, of course. His highest ceiling given his skills set is on the defensive side of the ball. Offense should only be looked at as complementary and he should be told to take the ball to the basket more frequently and ditch the 3 and develop his midrange game.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:


  7. #55
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,167

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play

    Quote Originally Posted by xtacy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    said this before and gonna say it again. his problem is lack of mental toughness and that killer instinct. it has nothing to do with age. you either have it or don't.
    I don't believe for a second that you can't become mentally tougher as you age. In fact, I think most players become more more mentally savvy as they get older. Part of being tough mentally is having confidence, and getting experience and succeeding over a period of years is going to give you more confidence.

    I'm too young to have watched the Pacers when we had the Chuck Person - Reggie Miller tandem. But if IIRC, ChicagoJ has mentioned before that Reggie lacked killer instinct in the early part of his career and that it was Chuck Person who would take the big shots. Sorry if I'm putting words in ChiJ's mouth, but I'm pretty sure he has said that multiple times.

  8. #56

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play

    Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    His D at times has been good, but overall it's inconsistent, effectively like the rest of his game. Personally, I'd prefer he establish consistency on defense first. Make his defense his calling card. Aspire to develop into a DPOY candidate. This would mean better off the ball D, of course. His highest ceiling given his skills set is on the defensive side of the ball. Offense should only be looked at as complementary and he should be told to take the ball to the basket more frequently and ditch the 3 and develop his midrange game.
    It seems like when he's struggling offensively he lets it affect his defense. It drives me crazy.

    People are overreacting to Paul's play early on this season. He can easily be an 18-20 ppg scorer in his prime if developed the right way. I believe his problems are mostly mental. He still has all the tools to be a really good/borderline all-star player in this league. Just think... he's never had the opportunity to play with a real PG, SG, or any good passers besides our bigs. He was dicked around by Jimmy the first half of his rookie season. His only full season he had 19% usage rate and was the last option on offense. He still rarely has plays called for him, and even when one is called the play is so obvious or the screen never gets set, and it doesn't works properly. When's the last time we saw Paul come off a pin down screen for an open mid range jumper like Curry and Thompson were getting last game? Yeah never.

    He's got to get tougher minded if he want's to be as good as he can be, but like the guy above me said, that will come with age and experience.

  9. #57
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,630

    Default Re: Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play

    Quote Originally Posted by Sollozzo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't believe for a second that you can't become mentally tougher as you age. In fact, I think most players become more more mentally savvy as they get older. Part of being tough mentally is having confidence, and getting experience and succeeding over a period of years is going to give you more confidence.

    I'm too young to have watched the Pacers when we had the Chuck Person - Reggie Miller tandem. But if IIRC, ChicagoJ has mentioned before that Reggie lacked killer instinct in the early part of his career and that it was Chuck Person who would take the big shots. Sorry if I'm putting words in ChiJ's mouth, but I'm pretty sure he has said that multiple times.
    Forget players, plenty of people in all walks of life get more mentally tough. In fact discipline, perseverance, and a greater sense of personal responsibility are all trademarks of moving from the early 20's to the early 30's, even without having kids.

    I don't think Reggie lacked the guts, he always was brash and thought highly of his own game. But when he met the ego that was Rifleman he took a back seat and it was very clear that Chuck was the alpha dog. See the 1991 Pacers-Celtics series, see the Chuck head nodding back-peddle after dropping a bomb.

    We might well get to a day where everyone remembers this as how Paul George was always the man and how they all knew and always said "he had that special knack".

    As far as I can tell this board is about 35% full of people that would have traded Reggie for Glen Rice in 1992 and never looked back, and I mean people that are now frustrated that Paul isn't more like Reggie.


    Paul IS inconsistent, his mind wanders during games, he's not always careful with the ball or with his coverage. But he does work hard and isn't really lazy, just careless. He's not killing it, but it's way too early on for him to have a "light bulb" moment. I'd expect it closer to March of this season, or maybe not even till 2-3 months into next season. Now if we are still discussing this in 16 months then I'm much more open to the criticism.

  10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


Similar Threads

  1. Odd Thoughts: Warriors came out to play...
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 03-01-2012, 02:25 PM
  2. Odd Thoughts: Road Warriors
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 01-23-2012, 11:49 PM
  3. Odd thoughts from the Warriors game....
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 118
    Last Post: 02-08-2007, 12:45 AM
  4. Odd thoughts about beating the Warriors
    By Peck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 02-14-2006, 01:48 PM
  5. Bench play in the playoffs and other thoughts.
    By Reggie4Three in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-25-2005, 09:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •