Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Thunder's Perry Jones III sent to D-League

  1. #1
    #RiseOfTheKing imbtyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Nashville, IN
    Posts
    1,631
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Thunder's Perry Jones III sent to D-League

    Just saw a bunch of tweets/messages about it, but can't seem to pin one down now that I intend to pass the news along.

    Anyway, OKC just sent Perry Jones to the Tulsa 66ers, only four days after sending Jeremy Lamb as well. Lamb was supposed to be one of the underdog picks of the draft, but it's looking like he (as well as Jones) won't get to show off their talents in the NBA until they get on a team where their skills are necessary (i.e. a non-contending team in need of talented, yet underdeveloped players).

    OKC should send both Lamb and Jones to the Cavaliers for Varejao. I read on HoopsHype that fans are beckoning for Varejao's trade, since "his trade value will never be higher" (sounds familiar, doesn't it?). But contending teams don't want to trade assets, and non-contending teams don't have assets to trade. This is why this trade helps both teams. OKC gets a big man playing a career season, and Cleveland gets two prodigious rookies, who can continue to usher the new Cavalier era forward.

    I honestly don't care about the trade, either way. If it helps OKC beat the Lakers, and helps Cleveland stay out of the playoffs, then I'm all in.

    On the OP note, it seems like the D-League is getting quite utilized by the teams this year. Did anyone happen to see how Miles and OJ performed with the Mad Ants?
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.



  2. #2
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thunder's Perry Jones III sent to D-League

    The Cavaliers aren't trading Varejao. He's been dominating and he and Kyrie Irving are the focal pieces for that team.

  3. #3
    Member Derek2k3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Fort Wayne
    Posts
    1,580
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thunder's Perry Jones III sent to D-League

    Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Cavaliers aren't trading Varejao. He's been dominating and he and Kyrie Irving are the focal pieces for that team.
    The Cavs are extremely willing to trade Anderson. In the past they've wanted "too much", but now teams are coming around.

    It'll take a lottery pick and 1 or 2 young players, but it could happen. I wouldn't be shocked to see OKC send Toronto's first (I think it was a top 5 protected, but can't remember) and Jones/Perkins for Varejao.

    I'd be shocked if he was still with the Cavs at the end of the season. They know they still need a couple pieces, and they feel they have their bigs in Zeller and Thompson.

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Derek2k3 For This Useful Post:


  5. #4
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thunder's Perry Jones III sent to D-League

    Quote Originally Posted by Derek2k3 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Cavs are extremely willing to trade Anderson. In the past they've wanted "too much", but now teams are coming around.

    It'll take a lottery pick and 1 or 2 young players, but it could happen. I wouldn't be shocked to see OKC send Toronto's first (I think it was a top 5 protected, but can't remember) and Jones/Perkins for Varejao.

    I'd be shocked if he was still with the Cavs at the end of the season. They know they still need a couple pieces, and they feel they have their bigs in Zeller and Thompson.
    Who says they're still interested in trading him?

    Maybe a high cost, but they aren't actively looking to get rid of him. He's been looking like the best center in the league this year.

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,852
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thunder's Perry Jones III sent to D-League

    why are so many people saying getting sent to the Dleague is a bad thing? It's a good league that helps develop the talents I think it's great for both Jones and Lamb and will help them remain ready in case of an injury. Some teams don't play rookies that's just how it goes. Its better to send them down and play in their teams system and get ready for when they get a chance. Im sure Marquis Teague or Jimmy Butler last year would of rather played in actual games(last year for Butler this year for Teague) than sit on the bench all year when they were capable. The Dleague is great and if a team owns it's own team that runs the NBA system and has their own coaches it's a no brainier to send your young guys their to get them better.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 12-03-2012 at 02:36 PM.

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  8. #6
    It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Garrett, IN
    Posts
    9,079
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thunder's Perry Jones III sent to D-League

    The D league is evolving into what it was started to do. Develop talent. And just because some drafted players are put into this league does not mean they have talent. And PJIII being put there does not justify picking Miles. They are completely different issues.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post:


  10. #7
    Member HickeyS2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis/Sacramento
    Posts
    845

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thunder's Perry Jones III sent to D-League

    Because it's just as easy to pick up bad habits as it is good habits in the D-League.

  11. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,852
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thunder's Perry Jones III sent to D-League

    Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Because it's just as easy to pick up bad habits as it is good habits in the D-League.
    it's easy to pick up bad habit in the NBA. It's easy to pick up good habits in the Dleague especially if your hand pick staff is down there coaching the players how the NBA staff would. Teaching the same defensive principals and offensive principals. If they start playing with their head up their *** bench them just like you would in the NBA if they keep making the same mistakes. That argument is a really bad one IMO the Dleague is a good league where they play real basketball. It's not like Metta and Lance going back to Rucker in the summer this is a good league that helps young players grow.

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,654

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thunder's Perry Jones III sent to D-League

    Wow. Jones would have been drafted in the top 15 or so, maybe even as high as a mid-lottery pick if he had come out following his freshman year. Now being a seldom-used player and sent to the D-league must be a real shock to his ego.

  14. #10

    Default Re: Thunder's Perry Jones III sent to D-League

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow. Jones would have been drafted in the top 15 or so, maybe even as high as a mid-lottery pick if he had come out following his freshman year. Now being a seldom-used player and sent to the D-league must be a real shock to his ego.
    Eh, I can't imagine he expected a lot after being drafted by a title contender. He still has a guaranteed NBA contract and he gets to work on his game, so he can't be too upset. That said, I think OKC will trade PJ3 eventually for a piece they need and he'll get a better opportunity elsewhere.
    Last edited by Doddage; 12-03-2012 at 03:26 PM.

  15. #11
    Member HickeyS2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis/Sacramento
    Posts
    845

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thunder's Perry Jones III sent to D-League

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ... That argument is a really bad one IMO the Dleague is a good league where they play real basketball...
    It's not a bad argument, it's just not your argument. If the D-League coaches were good, they wouldn't be coaching in the D-League. As I see it, players go to the D-League when they need to get minutes. Usually these minutes translate into a street ball type experience, where a guy like OJ can go and jack up 30 shots without playing defense just to get comfortable shooting the ball again. The coaches aren't coaching them up, they are basically rec games. Have you been to a D-League game? When I went, I thought I was watching summer league. It was terrible. There was no coaching going on at all.

  16. #12
    can't wait to see this v Heisenberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    12,342

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thunder's Perry Jones III sent to D-League

    All depends how the specific franchise utilizes the D-League. Some just send em down and say "get some shots up." Some, like the Spurs and I imagine the Thunder, run the same sets they do in the NBA.

  17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:


  18. #13
    Member HickeyS2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Indianapolis/Sacramento
    Posts
    845

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thunder's Perry Jones III sent to D-League

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All depends how the specific franchise utilizes the D-League. Some just send em down and say "get some shots up." Some, like the Spurs and I imagine the Thunder, run the same sets they do in the NBA.
    I agree with this, as the Mad Ants for example, are affiliated with 4 NBA teams. We can't send our guys there to run Pacers' specific sets. Some D-League teams only have 1 affiliate, like the two examples SA and OKC. I am not against sending our players, but it's more for getting up shots than learning our sets. It's probably the reason we didn't send Lance. Plenty of bad habits to learn, and not much to gain. For PJ, it's probably a bit better, but not much.

  19. #14

    Default Re: Thunder's Perry Jones III sent to D-League

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All depends how the specific franchise utilizes the D-League. Some just send em down and say "get some shots up." Some, like the Spurs and I imagine the Thunder, run the same sets they do in the NBA.
    This. The Rockets do the same. Terrence Jones and Donatas Motiejunas have been spending time in the D-League this year, and Royce White would too if he didn't prefer to sit and tweet.
    In the years past, they used the D-League to develop Patrick Patterson and Marcus Morris, both of them get heavy minutes in the NBA right now and both look very well.
    But they have a very strong connection with their D-League team, they run similar sets, one of the assistant coaches or even the GM stay around the D-League team at all times when prospects are there.

    It's all about how you use the D-League.

  20. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,852
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thunder's Perry Jones III sent to D-League

    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All depends how the specific franchise utilizes the D-League. Some just send em down and say "get some shots up." Some, like the Spurs and I imagine the Thunder, run the same sets they do in the NBA.
    exactly if you own your own team (which is dirt cheap) you have full control over the player. For the mad ants it's useless compared to how the Rockets Thunder Spurs GSW and many more who actually own the team.They run the same offense and defense and can use the player however you want.


    and to say dleague coaches have a reason for being in the dleague as a insult is wrong. Most of these coaches are good coaches who havent got a chance yet. Kevin Pritchard started as an ABA coach its called working your way up. Every coach should do it Vogel did it and most good coaches have too. Eric Mussleman is a coach in the dleague now. There are great coaches at every level if you find the right coach for your team it is a great tool to develop your players and hell even coaches

  21. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,852
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Thunder's Perry Jones III sent to D-League

    Quote Originally Posted by hackashaq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This. The Rockets do the same. Terrence Jones and Donatas Motiejunas have been spending time in the D-League this year, and Royce White would too if he didn't prefer to sit and tweet.
    In the years past, they used the D-League to develop Patrick Patterson and Marcus Morris, both of them get heavy minutes in the NBA right now and both look very well.
    But they have a very strong connection with their D-League team, they run similar sets, one of the assistant coaches or even the GM stay around the D-League team at all times when prospects are there.

    It's all about how you use the D-League.
    Also Greg Smith. All the Rockets fans were pissed that Morris never played were claiming he was a bust because he was in the Dleague all year lol.

Similar Threads

  1. Perry Jones III medical RED FLAG
    By _The_Future_ in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-10-2012, 12:01 PM
  2. Perry Jones III on stage in a WHEELCHAIR
    By alamo1978 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 06-29-2012, 12:26 AM
  3. Mavericks recall G Jones from D-League (AP) [Y! Sports]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-23-2012, 04:00 PM
  4. 2011 Draft - Can we get a high pick? (Perry Jones)
    By imbtyler in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-26-2011, 10:09 PM
  5. Perry Jones
    By The Future in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-25-2010, 11:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •