Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Warriors postgame thread.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers/Warriors postgame thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Carl is having a good season. So many posters here never wanted Landry, but each season he continues to produce.
    The past 3 offseasons I've been saying this is a guy we need to bring in. Great toughness, and scoring ability. A lot of ppl point to his lack of rebounding and defense, but he's improved on both of those skills immensely.

GS got an absolute STEAL for 2 yrs 10 MIL (if I remember correctly)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ace E.Anderson View Post
    The past 3 offseasons I've been saying this is a guy we need to bring in. Great toughness, and scoring ability. A lot of ppl point to his lack of rebounding and defense, but he's improved on both of those skills immensely.

GS got an absolute STEAL for 2 yrs 10 MIL (if I remember correctly)
    He got a 2 year, $8M deal with an opt out after the first. And he's going to definitely opt out (barring injury obviously). The Warriors definitely got a bargain, but it will only be a one year bargain. He's 29 years old now and will sure to be seeking his last big pay day.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Mood

I wish Jack and Landry were the Pacers' backup 1 and 4.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    He got a 2 year, $8M deal with an opt out after the first. And he's going to definitely opt out (barring injury obviously). The Warriors definitely got a bargain, but it will only be a one year bargain. He's 29 years old now and will sure to be seeking his last big pay day.
    How much do you see a team paying him on average annually? There are a lot of PGs out there right now. Is a bad team really going to pay him more than 6 per?

Quote Originally Posted by MAStamper View Post
    How much do you see a team paying him on average annually? There are a lot of PGs out there right now. Is a bad team really going to pay him more than 6 per?
    The poster I responded to was talking about Landry, not Jack (as I presume you were). Landry is a low post scorer who has shown he can score in the 4th quarter. There is always a market for that. He'll get a good contract. As a backup PG, Jack won't get as much.

Keep in mind the FA market in 2013 will be relatively weak so both guys will get a better deal than they normally would.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by d_c View Post
    The poster I responded to was talking about Landry, not Jack (as I presume you were). Landry is a low post scorer who has shown he can score in the 4th quarter. There is always a market for that. He'll get a good contract. As a backup PG, Jack won't get as much.

Keep in mind the FA market in 2013 will be relatively weak so both guys will get a better deal than they normally would.
    However, Jack always seems to play lots of important minutes wherever he's at. He's a true combo guard and will get paid as a fringe starter / 6th man more than a backup I think.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    DREAMER!!

He's in for a big payday this off season.

I wouldn't mind if Lance was the b/u PG to Hill. It might come to fruition when Granger comes back, and Lance is moved back to the bench. I'm beginning to feel there might be some validity about Vogel having a short leash on Lance. Can Vogel have enough confidence in letting Lance be the b/u PG?
    I will continue to dream

Jack has done the same exact thing this last season in Oakland that he has done over the last 2 seasons in NOLA.....he's been a solid "Backup PG" and a decent "Emergency Starting PG". Doing this last season with NOLA got him a $4 mil contract with GSW....to me, he hasn't done anything beyond what he has already done before.

IMHO....the market already set what his value is....anything beyond $4mil would be overpaying.
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-03-2012 at 09:32 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

We were talkin bout Landry

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Ace E.Anderson For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I wish Jack and Landry were the Pacers' backup 1 and 4.
    If the FO gives up on Lance and Hansbrough ( which isn't out of the question ), maybe we can wait til next year and make a run at them ( assuming that Landry opts out of his Player Contract ).
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    If the FO gives up on Lance and Hansbrough ( which isn't out of the question ), maybe we can wait til next year and make a run at them ( assuming that Landry opts out of his Player Contract ).
    That would be great. I was hoping for the Pacers to acquire both in summers past.

Except for one thing. I doubt we will have the cap space to get it done.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Look at the production of Hans and the contract of Hans and the age of Hans. "Give up"? More like face reality.

They can't afford his production levels anymore. Lance has improved so you can still ride him out and see where it's headed, but the writing is on the wall for Tyler pretty obviously.

But this won't get them Landry money. Didn't Jack get let go so they could afford to pay Marquis instead? Plus it was a way to appease TJ (and maybe JOB)? There was no good reason to let Jack go, that's what sucks so much about it.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Mood

I thought it had to do with the contract ever so slightly nudging us into luxury tax territory or something like that.

I thought it had to do with the contract ever so slightly nudging us into luxury tax territory or something like that.
    Yeah, I thought it was that they couldn't afford him.

I'd still like JJ brought back in. He's making about $5.5M this season. I'm not sure he will get more than that since he's been a backup most of his career. I do hope the Pacers offer him a contract for multiple years at around $5M. More years might get him.

If DJ is costing the Pacers $3.5M to suck, then a couple more million will look like a bargain. Unless they drafte Pierre Jackson in the second round and go for a very cheap option.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Mood

We have to re-sign West, and I double-checked with Tim Donahue about it to confirm we can go over the cap to do so and we would then apparently also get the MLE to use right away (I thought maybe you only got that starting the year AFTER you spent yourself up to and over the cap), which means we could theoretically throw Jack an offer starting at $5m or so. I'd do it. I doubt they will. Maybe I'm wrong?

We have to re-sign West, and I double-checked with Tim Donahue about it to confirm we can go over the cap to do so and we would then apparently also get the MLE to use right away (I thought maybe you only got that starting the year AFTER you spent yourself up to and over the cap), which means we could theoretically throw Jack an offer starting at $5m or so. I'd do it. I doubt they will. Maybe I'm wrong?
    I like this idea, but I think we desperately need a good shooter/scorer. Whether its for the bench, or within the starting lineup, we NEED someone who is a consistent shooter and or scorer. JJ is a very good b/u PG, but I think we could put Lance within that role and he would be able to do pretty well and maybe even develop into a taller/cheaper version of JJ.

But as of right now with the wing rotation of George, Green, and Young, we lack a consistent shooting/scoring threat. Danny coming back will obviously help, but what happens if Danny comes back and isn't the same player he once was?

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Well they have a good shooter/scorer, and that's Granger or the money they wouldn't be paying Granger if his career was over due to injury (the only reason he wouldn't be here scoring, barring a trade).

I obviously agree that you must bring back West. He's the whole reason you save up cap space to begin with - a great AS caliber scoring vet. Yes he might only have 4-5 years left, who knows, but he's not about to just drop off the planet tomorrow as a skilled player. He looks to be in his prime and maybe 2-3 years away from decline.

I'd love a JJack type of player and they are out there. You never know.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post
    Well they have a good shooter/scorer, and that's Granger or the money they wouldn't be paying Granger if his career was over due to injury (the only reason he wouldn't be here scoring, barring a trade).
    It's the NBA not the NFL were you can cut players with injuries I'm pretty sure you know this.

I obviously agree that you must bring back West. He's the whole reason you save up cap space to begin with - a great AS caliber scoring vet. Yes he might only have 4-5 years left, who knows, but he's not about to just drop off the planet tomorrow as a skilled player. He looks to be in his prime and maybe 2-3 years away from decline.

I'd love a JJack type of player and they are out there. You never know.
    4 or 5 years left and is still in his prime? lol

Pacers should think about bringing Foster back then because "he is just in his prime at 33", or JO "in his prime at 34", how about Tinsley? "In his prime at 34", maybe Reggie is still "in his prime"?

I Believe In Gerald Green repole's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Also, in fairness given my opinion to this point, Green did enough positive things tonight to be noticeable (to me). That said, given Granger's injury, he has to find a way to give us more offense, more consistent 3s (which is what I thought to be one of his claims to fame), and just more overall impact on the game. Although, since I don't see him as a true 3 pt shooter so far anyway, why not try and 18 footer and see if you get some rhythm going?
    Green's overly tentative right now, his confidence isn't there, he's thinking too much, and Vogel isn't running plays that take advantage of his strengths for him. When/if things get going for him, he'll look like much more of a pure shooter. As bad as his shot has looked, he's actually hitting it at a solid rate from 3 (37%). I'll keep saying it, but I'd like to see him posted up a couple times a game. Get him in space, one or two dribbles from the basket, and he's capable of being very effective.

The thing I hate most about this offense is the complete lack of pace. You've got athletes like George and Green on the wings, a guy in Lance who loves to push it, a PG in Hill who's actually looked pretty solid in the open court, and yet this team is 26th in the NBA in pace. Bleh. I know the team isn't brimming with athleticism compared to say, Miami, but there's no reason they should be playing THIS slow. Especially because it's clear they don't have enough shot creators in the half court, they should be doing everything in their power to push the ball and try and get offense before the defense sets.

A Gerald Green fan who now finds himself rooting for the Suns.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    It's the NBA not the NFL were you can cut players with injuries I'm pretty sure you know this.

If Danny is injured and a doc says he can never play again, why wouldn't he retire? His deal is covered by insurance.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

West's best statistical season. (08-09)
    39.2mpg 21ppg 47fg% 8.5rpg 2.3apg 0.9bpg

West this season.
    34.3mpg 17.8ppg 49.2fg% 8.3rpg 2.5bpg 1.2bpg

Yeah, West is really on the decline, and not in his prime. Look at that, statistics just nose dive.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

West this season.
    34.3mpg 17.8ppg 49.2fg% 8.3rpg 2.5bpg 2.5apg

Yeah, West is really on the decline, and not in his prime. Look at that, statistics just nose dive.
    He's done.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post

West this season.
    34.3mpg 17.8ppg 49.2fg% 8.3rpg 2.5bpg 1.2bpg

I don't expect those numbers to stay that high once the Pacers start to play real teams, his numbers are pretty good but against who? keep trying though.

Let's spin the Vnzla excuse wheel, oh today, we got "Quality of competition". Past responses for David West not being worth re-signing have been age, injury history, and murdering puppies! Tell 'em what he's won Vanna!

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Let's spin the Vnzla excuse wheel, oh today, we got "Quality of competition". Past responses for David West not being worth re-signing have been age, injury history, and murdering puppies! Tell 'em what he's won Vanna!
    Not excuses is the facts, the guy is playing great and looks like an all star so far but against who? and yes age is a motive for not resigning a player to a long contract see Foster, how many of you wanted to resign Foster "because he still had game left in him"? how many times me and Justintyme told you that it was the wrong thing to do? "Foster is only in his prime so they need to resigning him" same bs different player and at the end the Pacers screwed it all up as always.

By the way I would like to see a list of players that are still in their primes at age 33,34,35,36 and 37 that are still in the NBA and are not hall of famers, I'll be waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Hey, he can't help it if he's the only poster on PD that's not wearing the Blue & Gold glasses and the only one telling it like it is!

Besides, even though West is shooting a better percentage this year, he used to make more shots with nothing but net. But this year he has to rely on the backboard and friendly rolls on the rim with his declining skills.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to bunt For This Useful Post: