Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Pacers/Warriors postgame thread.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers/Warriors postgame thread.

Can we all agree that if we are relying on DWest to be our best player in 3 years the Pacers are screwed? I expect West to be around the 4th option at that point, but I don't see anything in his game that won't age well. I think he can play effectively until he is 38 or so if his knee holds up.

For me, my concern with re-signing West has less to do with how he will play under the contract, and more to do with how we will replace him once the contract is up. At that point hopefully both George and Granger will be worth 10+ million, and Lance, Green, and Mahinmi all hopefully work out. This would also be about when you would expect this team to be one of the favorites to win the championship. That isn't going to leave a lot of room to sign a starting PF. At that point our only real hope would be draft or trade. Right now I am kind of leaning towards finding a long term solution this offseason, but don't hold me to that as tomorrow I am likely to want to re-sign West. Either way though we all should know, re-signing West is a short term solution. Maybe it is better to take the short term, and hope to figure out the long term later.

Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can we all agree that if we are relying on DWest to be our best player in 3 years the Pacers are screwed? I expect West to be around the 4th option at that point, but I don't see anything in his game that won't age well. I think he can play effectively until he is 38 or so if his knee holds up.
    Bingo. The only thing that is a big concern as West ages is his defense. He'll be able to score the ball at an efficient pace though, because his game is already athletically challenged. It revolves around positioning and leverage.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    For me, my concern with re-signing West has less to do with how he will play under the contract, and more to do with how we will replace him once the contract is up. At that point hopefully both George and Granger will be worth 10+ million, and Lance, Green, and Mahinmi all hopefully work out. This would also be about when you would expect this team to be one of the favorites to win the championship. That isn't going to leave a lot of room to sign a starting PF. At that point our only real hope would be draft or trade. Right now I am kind of leaning towards finding a long term solution this offseason, but don't hold me to that as tomorrow I am likely to want to re-sign West. Either way though we all should know, re-signing West is a short term solution. Maybe it is better to take the short term, and hope to figure out the long term later.
    If Lance continues to progress, and if PG moves toward what we saw last night, then it seems like moving Danny to the 4 and letting West move on is a real option:

Hill
    Lance
    PG
    Danny
    Hibbert

THAT is a bad@ss defensive unit. We would lose West's awesome offense, but if PG and Lance have stepped up, it just might work.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    ...then it seems like moving Danny to the 4 and letting West move on is a real option...
    Please no. If Danny is on my team, he is playing the 3. Haven't we already tried that experiment?

Quote Originally Posted by HickeyS2000 View Post
    Please no. If Danny is on my team, he is playing the 3. Haven't we already tried that experiment?
    Yeah. It went pretty well, actually. He's got the size for it.

The disaster was playing Troy Murphy at center.

Or playing Troy at all, actually.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

My concerns with Danny at the 4 (which, otherwise, I like a lot):

1. His health, not just in general as it's already a concern, but when he's getting banged by players bigger/stronger than him many games
    2. I think he's actually pretty good at guarding the post, but I'm not sure how well that translates when he's guarding PFs bigger than Hansbrough as opposed to someone like Josh Smith
    3. Could he provide any post scoring with a bigger guy on him?

But, other than that, I LOVE it for spacing the floor, adding another shooter at the same time on the floor, having him take bigger guys off the dribble, all leading to a much more dangerous offense, and it makes our defense much more mobile and flexible.

I think the safer thing to do would be to make him the starting SF and the backup PF. Maybe about 18 minutes each, or most of it at the 3 depending on how it works out with regards to the above concerns.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post: