Thread: Rick Majerus has passed away

Sports Logo

Default Rick Majerus has passed away

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...erus-has-died/

When Rick Majerus decided to take a leave of absence for health reasons, the news was concerning.
    When he announced he wasn’t coming back to the Billikens at all, it was alarming.

Now the true extent of Majerus’ health issues has become known. Multiple sources, including Majerus’ protege and current Loyola (Chicago) head coach Porter Moser, have confirmed that Majerus passed away today at the age of 64.

Details are in short supply at this time, but CBT will update the story as more news comes to light.

Majerus began his career with the then-independent Marquette Warriors, and jumped to Ball State after three years in Milwaukee. He became best known as head man of the Utah Utes, making it all the way to the NCAA title game in 1998. He led St. Louis to a 26-8 record and an NCAA berth in his final season as Billikens head coach.

Majerus’ overall record as a collegiate head coach was 517-215.
    This is terrible. Majerus was a truly stellar coach that never did get his due.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Rick Majerus has passed away

I was just about to post this I don't know why it surprises me I mean he never had the greatest health but still RIP

year of the black rainbow obnoxiousmodesty's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Sad news indeed. I remember his Ball State teams well.
    Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't coming back. Burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to obnoxiousmodesty For This Useful Post:

he was a great coach and always seemed like a nice guy as far as i could tell. however his morbid obesity did him in. he had a quadruple bypass several years ago and his health issues were the reason why i wasn't interested in seeing him ever coaching at iu as i was afraid he could die quickly from the stress.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As an A10 basketball watcher I remember his time with the St. Louis the most. He turned a utterly unremarkable program into an above average one in a short amount of tim. The stats don't lie. RIP.

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Majerus
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like practice, I love teaching, I love to see a kid get a degree and an education. I enjoy the college campus. I love the theater in our campus. I like the campus life. There's a travel club on our campus, and I'll go to those lectures. In an NBA player's life, how can you make a difference? I mean, you might be able to make a little bit of a difference, but I think I've impacted all my players more than any pro coach they've ever played for -- both from a basketball standpoint, but more importantly, from a lifestyle standpoint. (Keith) Van Horn just asked me to be the godfather for his baby. It was fun to sit through Andre (Miller's) graduation, to see his mom smile. It was fun to see Hanno (Mottola) come from Europe and realize his dream. It was fun to see Drew Hansen get in Stanford Law School. The other night, one of my players had a really bad family problem and I really did enjoy offering a perspective on it and seeing if I could help him out. A lot of people that are very wealthy throw money at their problems, but it's fun to help them work through it. I love the fans and the college students. I like the alumni association deal. I like the rah-rah and all that. I like the band rather than that fabricated music. I like the fact that we have students that are cheerleaders that really care, as opposed to a dancing girl team of hired mercenaries.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Heisenberg For This Useful Post:

Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar

He's truly one of the underrated coaching personalities of the past few decades. What's not to love about this guy?
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChicagoJ For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

http://www.kbrews.com/majerus/majquotes.html

Dozens of Majerus quotes, hanging out watch a game with him would've been awesome

When asked by Maui Classic chairman, Wayne Duke, for comments about his three players' missions ...

``If you give me your address, those boys will come by your house and talk to you about joining up; drop you off a Book of Mormon and get you all set for time and all eternity.''

``Don't lower the ethics of the church,'' interjected Indiana Coach Bob Knight.

I've talked about it many times before, but I've always believed Rick Majerus is the reason we almost lost to the Bucks in that 2000 first round series, a year after we swept them. I remember seeing him multiple times at Conseco scouting us for Karl, and man did he ever crack our sets. To be fair, we were pretty predictable that year, but the saying goes that there are no secrets in the NBA, it's all about execution. However, seeing the Bucks all watching Mark bring the floor up, and changing their defense accordingly every play, it was a sight to behold. I've never seen a team so well prepared, and it took Reggie literally becoming a superhero just to get us to that last shot.

The man was a basketball genius. Rest in peace.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've talked about it many times before, but I've always believed Rick Majerus is the reason we almost lost to the Bucks in that 2000 first round series, a year after we swept them. I remember seeing him multiple times at Conseco scouting us for Karl, and man did he ever crack our sets. To be fair, we were pretty predictable that year, but the saying goes that there are no secrets in the NBA, it's all about execution. However, seeing the Bucks all watching Mark bring the floor up, and changing their defense accordingly every play, it was a sight to behold. I've never seen a team so well prepared, and it took Reggie literally becoming a superhero just to get us to that last shot.

The man was a basketball genius. Rest in peace.
    I still remember watching Game 5 as a 12 year old. God that was nerve-racking.

RIP.

One of the best in game and preparation coaches in college bball. Really sad.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Some of his stories are just absolutely fantastic. Basketball world lost a great one.

Very sad. The guy was a hell of a coach.

Majerus = Awesome.

RIP, big man.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata