Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Kings post game thread.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers/Kings post game thread.

When we were 4-7 I was pretty dejected, gotta give em props. They have yanked their heads out of their butts, and if they can come out of this 16 of first 21 games on the road stretch at .500 I am going to be feeling pretty good about their chances.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

First place! Woo!!!

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Where are all the people jumping off the cliff 3 weeks ago? The same ones who said us "sunshiners" were crazy for believing this team would come around?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

5. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Seems like this team is finding its identity. I thought we were forcing it a little too much to Hibbert and George early on in the season. Now, we're going almost exclusively to our best players (West and Hill), with Hibbert and George going back to their more natural support roles. Bench is also starting to gel a bit. The team has looked a lot better as a result.

And btw, IMO trying to force feed Hibbert and George wasn't a wrong move, it just didn't work out maybe because those guys just weren't ready yet. Kudos to Frank for having the balls to give the younger guys a featured role, and also for recognizing that it isn't working and making appropriate changes.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seems like this team is finding its identity. I thought we were forcing it a little too much to Hibbert and George early on in the season. Now, we're going almost exclusively to our best players (West and Hill), with Hibbert and George going back to their more natural support roles. Bench is also starting to gel a bit. The team has looked a lot better as a result.

And btw, IMO trying to force feed Hibbert and George wasn't a wrong move, it just didn't work out maybe because those guys just weren't ready yet. Kudos to Frank for having the balls to give the younger guys a featured role, and also for recognizing that it isn't working and making appropriate changes.
    You know the amount of shots each player is taking really hasn't changed all that much. I don't think it is so much that we went from forcing it onto them to not, as much as our offense is flowing better so the looks they are getting are more within an offensive flow whereas earlier they won't. The improved flow has little to do with changing focus on different players, and more just better player and ball movement.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post

I'm gonna be the fly in the soup......I think that we are getting there....but won't have an "identity" until everyone outside of GH and West become more consistent. The "identity" that I see is "inconsistency" among the overall Team where GH and DW are carrying the Team and then the rest of the Team inconsistently contributing to leads but at the same time coughing up those very leads as the Starters rest.

I expect inconsistency from the 2nd unit at this point due to lack of chemistry among the newer Players....but PG going 2-11 and Hibbert going 3-9 isn't going to cut it. I don't even want to talk about the 2 airballs ( my God....AIRBALLS ) from Hibbert ( a shot that he was able to at least hit the rim with ).

Sure, they do great every other game....and PG made up for it on the rebounding and assist end.....but Starters have to be able to contribute on the offensive end on a regular basis.

To be clear...I am not saying that this Team "isn't getting it" and that I am not pleased with their performance....I'm saying that we need more consistency from everyone so that we don't see these huge leads evaporate when DW and Hill rest. We are getting there...but we aren't there yet.
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-01-2012 at 04:16 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

You know it's really too bad we couldn't pay Nene 56 million dollars to be here. Had to settle for David West. Too bad really.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

13. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Two thoughts:

1) I've been telling you guys we were going to work it out... And we're working it out!

2) Sleep Train Arena is just a HORRIFIC name for a sports venue. I mean, seriously!
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    You know it's really too bad we couldn't pay Nene 56 million dollars to be here. Had to settle for David West. Too bad really.
    Yes, he's totally a BAMFL...the L is for loser.

God do I love to watch his old school offense, a thing of beauty. He must be kept next year, they would be fools to let him go. He brings that combo of talent and guts to face the challenge. I really hope the retired view of West is of him as a Pacer, not a Hornet.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    Where are all the people jumping off the cliff 3 weeks ago? The same ones who said us "sunshiners" were crazy for believing this team would come around?

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

The team is playing better than they were but they are far from "coming around". We are beating mediocre teams albeit on the road but it's some very ugly basketball at times. Lets see them do it against some of the elite teams. Like somebody else already said take away D. West's super performances lately and we would be in a world of hurt. Not trying to be a downer here but some people need to come back to reality as well. I am cautiously optimistic the team will continue to improve but they have a ways to go.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

The Pacers now have two mature leaders - West and Hill. That bodes very well and should continue to strengthen the team when tougher games come later in the season schedule. Now, whenever Granger returns, he doesn't necessarily need to worry about being a one man team without anyone else capable of carrying the load, especially mentally.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

I am not so sure that was a good thing either. If I remember correctly Bird wanted BOTH West and Nene.
    I think Bird was wanting to let Hibbert walk. Who knows how that would have worked?
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

1) For God, Don, Don, Vogel, tell PG & Lance to step in or dribble into a 17 footer when they're wide open (since they are both cold as ice from downtown).

2) When (hopefully not if) Granger returns, I still want us playing through West and Hill first.

3) I love Roy and I'm not questioning him playing hard or anything, but damn we payed way too much for him.

4) At this point (dream time here so don't take seriously), I'd give Sactown Roy, Paul, and Tyler for Cousins.

5) Still disappointed with the new big three offseason acquisitions. Mahinmi overall has been best so far, and I agree he has helped the interior D on the bench unit. I just wish he could be more consistent someplace else - scoring, rebounding. Maybe it will come.

Agustin at least seems to have turned up his intensity level. Looks a bit less like a zombie out there, but unless he goes on a prolonged hot streak shooting the three there's almost no chance he ever overcomes all his negatives. Green? Sorry to this supporters, but don't even talk to me about him. Almost zero contribution unless his three is falling. Hmm... so I guess that makes he and DJ about the same profile.

6) Best pickup of the offseason by far has been Young. If all he does on O is hit a corner 3 here and there, I'll take it for what we get in hustle, defense, and physicality.

7) PG was good in the non-scoring areas so I give him credit there. But will the guy even be able to average say 12 -14 ppg?

8) Wish Lance were more involved in the offense than just a spot up 3 guy. Don't care how hard he's worked on it, it's still not his bread and butter.

9) I think Bruno is not comparing DWest and DD in terms of their skill sets at all. He's talking the toughness and attitude they infuse in the rest of the players - a form of leadership by example. Both are/were, IMO, primary catalysts for the "soul" of the team.

10) So far a great road trip. Keep it going tonight. Who will step up? Assuming the Beast will not see a lot of minutes after 37 or 38 last night.

11) So, if George & Hibbert continue to be average at best / underachieve for another 20 or so games, do they have any trade value?
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by clownskull View Post
    if we had no dave west, this team might have about 2 wins this year.....might.
    David West for MVP?
    David "And One" West

If we somehow find a way to win at Golden State this evening, there's a chance we'll not only be back in the playoff picture at 9-8, but also leading the division! Unfortunately, we have to count on losses by both the Bulls (at home versus the 76ers) and Bucks (hosting the Celtics) for this scenario to go down, but it isn't out of the question. Need to care take of business at Oracle first.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    I'm gonna be the fly in the soup......I think that we are getting there....but won't have an "identity" until everyone outside of GH and West become more consistent. The "identity" that I see is "inconsistency" among the overall Team where GH and DW are carrying the Team and then the rest of the Team inconsistently contributing to leads but at the same time coughing up those very leads as the Starters rest.

I expect inconsistency from the 2nd unit at this point due to lack of chemistry among the newer Players....but PG going 2-11 and Hibbert going 3-9 isn't going to cut it. I don't even want to talk about the 2 airballs ( my God....AIRBALLS ) from Hibbert ( a shot that he was able to at least hit the rim with ).

Sure, they do great every other game....and PG made up for it on the rebounding and assist end.....but Starters have to be able to contribute on the offensive end on a regular basis.

To be clear...I am not saying that this Team "isn't getting it" and that I am not pleased with their performance....I'm saying that we need more consistency from everyone so that we don't see these huge leads evaporate when DW and Hill rest. We are getting there...but we aren't there yet.

Great post!

No you aren't the fly in the soup. You just pointed out how it is. You're correct this team needs to work on being more consistant. I was screaming at Vogel when he had 5 reserves playing together, and they couldn't produce. Vogel needs to have a couple of starters on the floor with the bench.

Speaking of the bench, I felt Sam had a reeeeally nice game and DJ was productive as well. Quinn was constantly pointing out the positives of the bench in the game. It's like he reads PD and is trying to offset the negativism felt about the bench players.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post

just better player and ball movement.

THIS. And there is still plenty of room to improve on it especially when playing against a zone.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneGranger33 View Post
    If we somehow find a way to win at Golden State this evening, there's a chance we'll not only be back in the playoff picture at 9-8, but also leading the division! Unfortunately, we have to count on losses by both the Bulls (at home versus the 76ers) and Bucks (hosting the Celtics) for this scenario to go down, but it isn't out of the question. Need to care take of business at Oracle first.
    we are clearly in the worst division in the NBA this year. It will come down to Pacers vs Bulls for the division winner. I am projecting Milwaukee to fade
    David "And One" West

Vnzla admitted yesterday he was wrong about DWest. Although, it is fun to needle him a little about it. He can handle it though. He has to be given credit to his being right about Varejao when many weren't.

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Gotta Play Big

We are a playoff team, but not contending with this group. Maybe if Granger returns and Hibbert and George step up we can bump with the elite. But none of those things are happening.

Paul George is a disappointment. This is his third year and he's supposed to be the future, right? Well, 4 points on 2-11 shooting and 0-6 from three point range isn't much of a future. It's time to downgrade expectations for the young man.

Lance Stephenson, Mr. Born Ready, may need to crawl back in the womb. Dude got a goose egg and basically contributed nothing.

Roy Hibbert, our supposed all-star center, had about as many fouls as points made. He's not a spring chicken folks. If he doesn't eliminate games like this, we don't have the answer at the C position.

Seriously, I think these guys should be putting things together by now. Especially Hibbert who turns 26 in a few days and is already in his 5th year in the league.

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by owl View Post
    I am not so sure that was a good thing either. If I remember correctly Bird wanted BOTH West and Nene.
    I think Bird was wanting to let Hibbert walk. Who knows how that would have worked?

I never got the feeling Bird wanted both DWest and Nene. Maybe I missed it. My impression Bird wanted Nene, and when the price got ridiculous he went after Dwest.

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    1) For God, Don, Don, Vogel, tell PG & Lance to step in or dribble into a 17 footer when they're wide open (since they are both cold as ice from downtown).

2) When (hopefully not if) Granger returns, I still want us playing through West and Hill first.

3) I love Roy and I'm not questioning him playing hard or anything, but damn we payed way too much for him.

4) At this point (dream time here so don't take seriously), I'd give Sactown Roy, Paul, and Tyler for Cousins.

5) Still disappointed with the new big three offseason acquisitions. Mahinmi overall has been best so far, and I agree he has helped the interior D on the bench unit. I just wish he could be more consistent someplace else - scoring, rebounding. Maybe it will come.

Agustin at least seems to have turned up his intensity level. Looks a bit less like a zombie out there, but unless he goes on a prolonged hot streak shooting the three there's almost no chance he ever overcomes all his negatives. Green? Sorry to this supporters, but don't even talk to me about him. Almost zero contribution unless his three is falling. Hmm... so I guess that makes he and DJ about the same profile.

6) Best pickup of the offseason by far has been Young. If all he does on O is hit a corner 3 here and there, I'll take it for what we get in hustle, defense, and physicality.

7) PG was good in the non-scoring areas so I give him credit there. But will the guy even be able to average say 12 -14 ppg?

8) Wish Lance were more involved in the offense than just a spot up 3 guy. Don't care how hard he's worked on it, it's still not his bread and butter.

9) I think Bruno is not comparing DWest and DD in terms of their skill sets at all. He's talking the toughness and attitude they infuse in the rest of the players - a form of leadership by example. Both are/were, IMO, primary catalysts for the "soul" of the team.

10) So far a great road trip. Keep it going tonight. Who will step up? Assuming the Beast will not see a lot of minutes after 37 or 38 last night.

11) So, if George & Hibbert continue to be average at best / underachieve for another 20 or so games, do they have any trade value?

With Hibbert's contract, I don't see he has any trade value the way he's playing. If he was being paid 10 mil, he might have some value, but his stats are less than D. Jordan and J McGee who are being paid 10 mil this season. The worst thing that happened for the Pacers was that Hibbert was an Allstar last season. That's the difference in his salary and McGee and Jordan's. Hibbert's agent capitalized on that and got Walsh to overpay. Walsh had to have a sick feeling when he watch Hibbert twice miss the rim on shots last night after what he paid Hibbert to keep him. 3-9 shooting at 33 1/3%. Pathetic!

Didn't get on here to comment last night, too wrapped up in the game. All I gotta say is David West is a super-beast and owned the Kings. I know Kings fans had to be frustrated every time he kept knocking down shots. He had the kind of performance that makes an opposing fan keep slapping their forehead.
    Fire up that tank and drive it to the lottery then to the draft

Banned

You are an Indiana Pacers hater and specially a Larry Bird hater because they are the ones that took that whole trip to kiss Nene's a** to bring him here, no me, all I did was agree with Bird so stop it.

I love how I'm supposed to be the only that wanted him when a huge group of people wanted him also.

Gotta Play Big

The George Hill and David West acquisitions are looking good about now.

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post: