Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
Results 201 to 225 of 253

Thread: Spurs to be punished for resting players

  1. #201
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,236

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How could this have been avoided? The old three could have sat on Wednesday Night.
    And risked losing two games instead of one. That doesn't make sense.

    Gregg Popovich said he made this decision when the schedule came out. And I believe him. He probably looked at the schedule, saw that they were most likely going to lose that game anyway (scheduling loss), so he figured it was a great opportunity to give his starters some rest. Popovich should have told Stern he was going to do it then.

    I think the fact that he was so arrogant about it probably pissed Stern off. Nobody is more arrogant than David Stern. Nobody.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:


  3. #202
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,277

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.nba.com/2012/news/11/30/s...ent/index.html

    San Antonio Spurs fined by league

    Offiicial Release
    Posted Nov 30, 2012 6:05 PM

    The NBA announced Friday that the San Antonio Spurs organization has been fined $250,000 for its decision to send four players home prior to the Spurs' Nov. 29 game in Miami. The Spurs' actions were in violation of a league policy, reviewed with the NBA Board of Governors in April 2010, against resting players in a manner contrary to the best interests of the NBA.
    This specific policy leaves ALOT of room for interpretation.....where resting Starters in one situation ( such as the Spurs resting their Starters against the Magic on Wednesday ) will be different in another situation ( such as the Spurs resting them on Thursday on National TV ), in this case....the best interest of the NBA ( in the case ) is how resting their Starters during a $$$ making game on National TV and how it affects the sponsors.

    The question again is....where is the line drawn when it is not clearly defined in the NBA Policy?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  5. #203

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This specific policy leaves ALOT of room for interpretation.....where resting Starters in one situation ( such as the Spurs resting their Starters against the Magic on Wednesday ) will be different in another situation ( such as the Spurs resting them on Thursday on National TV ), in this case....the best interest of the NBA ( in the case ) is how resting their Starters during a $$$ making game on National TV and how it affects the sponsors.

    The question again is....where is the line drawn when it is not clearly defined in the NBA Policy?
    The NBA can fine you for anything and call it a manner contrary to the best interests of the NBA
    "We've got to be very clear about this. We don't want our players hanging around with murderers," said Larry Bird, Pacers president.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:


  7. #204
    Nerd.
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Age
    33
    Posts
    5,069
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The question again is....where is the line drawn when it is not clearly defined in the NBA Policy?
    Wherever the line is drawn by the commissioner is where it is...basically, wherever and whenever and to whatever extent he sees fit.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stryder For This Useful Post:


  9. #205
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    124

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Stern's leadership abilities are just pathetic imo. I would have liked to see Pop maybe reduce the minutes as opposed to send them home- but it is his team to manage as he sees fit. Stern's ego must be really fragile.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Darren35 For This Useful Post:


  11. #206

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    So where is the line that triggers a fine? TV game? Road game? 4 players? 2 players? Before the allstar break? Not dressing? No minutes? 15 minutes? When its raining on a Tuesday?

    Somebody that think Sterns doing the right thing explain to me how this works? I'm guessing teams should present expected MPG for each player to the league office 24 hrs before game time. Once approved, they would have a 20% allowance to make "coaching decisions". Sound right?
    Last edited by rm1369; 11-30-2012 at 08:35 PM.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:


  13. #207
    Long time fan diamonddave00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Castle de Verde (Greencastle)
    Posts
    1,460
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Pop gave the league the finger, so King Stern felt he had to respond. The game was very entertaining, guess Pop should have said all 4 players came down with the flu and flew home for bed rest.

    We all know if it hadn't been a National TV game no action from the league would have taken place period.

  14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to diamonddave00 For This Useful Post:


  15. #208

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    For everyone complaining about the Heat somehow getting a favorable schedule or the league helping them out.

    In early November, the Heat had a 4 game in 5 night road trip against Memphis, Houston, LAC and Denver, the Denver game being the second night of a back to back, on TNT.

    So please quit with the conspiracy theories. Every team has to do this.

  16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  17. #209
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,797

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For everyone complaining about the Heat somehow getting a favorable schedule or the league helping them out.

    In early November, the Heat had a 4 game in 5 night road trip against Memphis, Houston, LAC and Denver, the Denver game being the second night of a back to back, on TNT.

    So please quit with the conspiracy theories. Every team has to do this.
    But how can you compare that to the hellish row of teams the Spurs just faced in the Raptors, Wizards, Magic, and then the Heat? ZOMG the Spurs have it soooo tough.

    Anyway, the fine was more than I expected, but with that kind of money being thrown out there I bet the Spurs don't rest their 4 best players at once anymore. I also think it's funny that the entire thread was all "There's no rule that says they can't do this" all the way up to the point where Stern fines them based on a rule that has been around for 2 years.
    Last edited by aamcguy; 11-30-2012 at 10:51 PM.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to aamcguy For This Useful Post:


  19. #210
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Evansville
    Posts
    571

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Could you expand on why the League ( as a whole ) would have been better if the Spurs Starters played their normal minutes?
    I will answer your question with another question.

    Would the league be better off having the Wizards and Cavaliers or the Celtics and Heat play on Christmas Day?

  20. #211
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,479

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Except one is expected at the end of the season and the other isn't. That wouldn't be consistent.
    I know it has probably been commented on, but what about the fans that buy tickets for that one game, say its your kid's birthday, to see the Heat at the end of the season and they don't play his favorite player because they don't have to? last time I checked those teams are still on prime time with no real competition for viewers? Those fans and the integrity of the game do not matter? What if a team makes the playoffs by one game because they play one of these teams laying down? To say one is ok and the other is not is totally bogus.

    Looks like the rating were ok.

    http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2012...with-a-caveat/
    Last edited by SycamoreKen; 12-01-2012 at 12:23 AM.

  21. #212
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,479

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And risked losing two games instead of one. That doesn't make sense.

    Gregg Popovich said he made this decision when the schedule came out. And I believe him. He probably looked at the schedule, saw that they were most likely going to lose that game anyway (scheduling loss), so he figured it was a great opportunity to give his starters some rest. Popovich should have told Stern he was going to do it then.

    I think the fact that he was so arrogant about it probably pissed Stern off. Nobody is more arrogant than David Stern. Nobody.
    Maybe he didn't realize Stern was going to get his panties in a bunch and didn't think it was a big deal? Heck, had they played the Heat may have gotten beaten down by 20 the way they played. How would that have been good?

  22. #213
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,277

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by kent beckley View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I will answer your question with another question.

    Would the league be better off having the Wizards and Cavaliers or the Celtics and Heat play on Christmas Day?
    Easy....Celtics and Heat on Christmas day. I get that business-wise...it's better to play the Starters cuz its good for business ( as in an more sponsors and more $$$ ).....but as BillS said.......where is the line drawn between the Sports ( the NBA ) and Sports Entertainment ( WWE )?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  23. #214
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    It's true what somebody was saying on twitter, why the Spurs are getting punished by doing this while teams that are tanking don't get punished?

  24. #215
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    42
    Posts
    25,277

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's true what somebody was saying on twitter, why the Spurs are getting punished by doing this while teams that are tanking don't get punished?
    Cuz Stern doesn't answer to sponsors that don't care about those Teams or games.

    I just hope that Stern is consistent with this later in the season when the Playoff Teams that are locked into their playoff spots start resting their Starters.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  25. #216

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    It's probably been mentioned already but Popovich screwed up by sending those guys back to San Antonio. He could have kept them on the bench and decided not to play them. I don't have a problem with resting guys but doing it the way he did was bush-league, IMO.

  26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LuckSwagger For This Useful Post:


  27. #217

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's probably been mentioned already but Popovich screwed up by sending those guys back to San Antonio. He could have kept them on the bench and decided not to play them. I don't have a problem with resting guys but doing it the way he did was bush-league, IMO.
    What difference does it make if they are at home on the couch, in a suit on the bench, or in uniform make if they don't play? I thought the issue was that the viewing public didn't get to see them play?

  28. #218
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,479

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    I guess if you take then to the game and sit them on the bench in street clothes the fans at least get to see them in person?

  29. #219
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,236

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's probably been mentioned already but Popovich screwed up by sending those guys back to San Antonio. He could have kept them on the bench and decided not to play them. I don't have a problem with resting guys but doing it the way he did was bush-league, IMO.
    I think that's what probably pushed it over the top. That and Danny Green being involved.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to shags For This Useful Post:


  31. #220
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    12,054

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    For everyone complaining about the Heat somehow getting a favorable schedule or the league helping them out.

    In early November, the Heat had a 4 game in 5 night road trip against Memphis, Houston, LAC and Denver, the Denver game being the second night of a back to back, on TNT.

    So please quit with the conspiracy theories. Every team has to do this.
    The poster who mentioned that specific trip was pointing out it is the Heat's ONLY one.

    Me, I just pointed out that the number of bad trips and/or b2b2... has nothing to do with standings in previous years.

    Yes, every team has these scheduling things (which needs to be fixed). However, they are NOT evenly distributed in a given season (and how the heck could they possibly be?), so each team needs the leeway to handle them the way THEY see fit. NOT the way the league dictates.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  33. #221

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The poster who mentioned that specific trip was pointing out it is the Heat's ONLY one.

    Me, I just pointed out that the number of bad trips and/or b2b2... has nothing to do with standings in previous years.

    Yes, every team has these scheduling things (which needs to be fixed). However, they are NOT evenly distributed in a given season (and how the heck could they possibly be?), so each team needs the leeway to handle them the way THEY see fit. NOT the way the league dictates.
    Like you said, how could they be evenly distributed? It's one of the hazards of an 82 game season. There's no problem with Pop resting players in 70 or so of those games. However there's clearly an unwritten rule that for the good of the league you take the marquee match ups seriously and give the nationally televised games your full effort.

    I'm kind of surprised at how blown away people are that the league wants nationally televised games to be better. This seems like an exceedingly obvious part of life. When my boss is in the office I sit up a little straighter and really focus on that computer screen so it looks like I'm working hard. When I have lunch with my girlfriend's parents I maybe comb my hair and wear a nice shirt. I'm sure I won't get fired if I work like I normally do and my girlfriend won't break up with my because I dress like I usually do, but I understand the game being played here and I act accordingly. Pop understood it as well, he acted up on purpose to make a point to Stern and Stern's reaction was, in my opinion, justifiable.

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  35. #222
    Undefeated
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carmel
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,201

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But how is it fair to the fans that are paying money to see a game? The fans are the ones who are putting money into the NBA product. If the players aren't injured or have some other personal matter to attend to, they need to play.
    I absolutely hate this argument. So is it fair to run the old Spurs players ragged and with huge potential ramifications on the year. Or more accurately, is it fair to Spurs fans, who are putting money into the NBA product, to run Spurs players ragged with large potential ramifications on the team they want to support? Of course not. 4 away games in 5 days, old players, way to many games in the schedule, it all adds up to logically sitting players, especially since the coach's responsibility isn't to Stern but to his fans.

    It also doesn't help that Stern comes across as an unintelligent petulant child.
    Danger Zone

  36. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:


  37. #223
    Undefeated
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carmel
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,201

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What difference does it make if they are at home on the couch, in a suit on the bench, or in uniform make if they don't play? I thought the issue was that the viewing public didn't get to see them play?
    It makes no difference, furthermore, the point is to rest the players. Travelling and late schedules is probably just as tiring as the game itself. Makes absolutely no sense to rest them and make them be present.
    Danger Zone

  38. #224
    Undefeated
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carmel
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,201

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's true what somebody was saying on twitter, why the Spurs are getting punished by doing this while teams that are tanking don't get punished?
    Excellent point. Also, couldn't an argument be made that playing fresh players gave the Spurs a better chance of winning? Not only did they cover the final spread, but they covered the initial spread as well, indicating that the idea to rest the older players and play fresh players actually improved the Spurs chances of winning.
    Danger Zone

  39. #225
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,797

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Excellent point. Also, couldn't an argument be made that playing fresh players gave the Spurs a better chance of winning? Not only did they cover the final spread, but they covered the initial spread as well, indicating that the idea to rest the older players and play fresh players actually improved the Spurs chances of winning.
    That is a logical fallacy. No matter how good oddsmakers are, they aren't perfect. And teams "beat the odds" all the time, even if it happens less often than not. But you didn't see the Spurs play with their guys, so you can't make that assessment.

    Furthermore, if in fact the stars DID play and the backups were doing so much better, they would have played more and the old guys still would have had the chance to rest. Personally, I would take a tired Duncan and Parker over anybody on their team almost 100% of the time and you are lying if you say you wouldn't.

    Also, since the odds are only a prediction, you cannot treat them as if they actually happened.
    Last edited by aamcguy; 12-01-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-09-2012, 05:40 PM
  2. Spurs begin resting starters in win against Jazz [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-09-2011, 11:20 PM
  3. Commissioner David Stern: NBA will discuss issue of resting players [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2010, 05:00 PM
  4. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 06:12 PM
  5. Why the fans won't be punished by the NBA
    By Natston in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 05:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •