Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast
Results 226 to 250 of 253

Thread: Spurs to be punished for resting players

  1. #226
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,371

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I guess if you take then to the game and sit them on the bench in street clothes the fans at least get to see them in person?
    If Stern wants to be a d*ck.....then I'd say that the difference would be that they'd have to be sitting on the bench in uniforms. If Pop wants to be safe...then play 1 minute then sit for the rest of the game.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  2. #227
    Member naptownmenace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,620

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by LuckSwagger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's probably been mentioned already but Popovich screwed up by sending those guys back to San Antonio. He could have kept them on the bench and decided not to play them. I don't have a problem with resting guys but doing it the way he did was bush-league, IMO.
    That's one of the problems I had with what Pop did. Giving a player a DNP-CD is one thing. Sending them home and then not telling the league about it until right before the game is what got them in trouble this time based on what Stern said.

    IIRC, A coach is supposed to report his lineup of active and inactive players by a certain time before each game. Part of the reason is so the opposing team can adjust their gameplan or at least know who they can expect to match up against. My guess is that Pop didn't do this.

  3. #228
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,434

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--da...194828970.html

    Some stuff I had never heard about before in this story. Might even deserve its own thread considering it goes well beyond the Spurs issue. Stern looks more and more like Vince McMahon (sp?) every day.

  4. #229
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    11,468

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IIRC, A coach is supposed to report his lineup of active and inactive players by a certain time before each game. Part of the reason is so the opposing team can adjust their gameplan or at least know who they can expect to match up against. My guess is that Pop didn't do this.
    Doubtful. Why fine him for something that generates controversy if you can fine him for actually breaking a hard rule like reporting rosters?
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  5. #230
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--da...194828970.html

    Some stuff I had never heard about before in this story. Might even deserve its own thread considering it goes well beyond the Spurs issue. Stern looks more and more like Vince McMahon (sp?) every day.
    That was outstanding. Thanks for linking it.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  6. #231
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,434

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    You are welcome J. After reading it one realize just how inept Knicks management has been. Was that illegal stuff before Donnie got there?

  7. #232
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,876
    Mood

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    I would like to know how Danny Green was chosen.

  8. #233
    THE WITCH IS DEAD!!! Coopdog23's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Da Bank
    Posts
    2,889

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by AesopRockOn View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would like to know how Danny Green was chosen.
    He must have some kind of injury we don't know about
    "We want Miami"

  9. #234
    Undefeated
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carmel
    Age
    37
    Posts
    947

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That is a logical fallacy. No matter how good oddsmakers are, they aren't perfect. And teams "beat the odds" all the time, even if it happens less often than not. But you didn't see the Spurs play with their guys, so you can't make that assessment.

    Furthermore, if in fact the stars DID play and the backups were doing so much better, they would have played more and the old guys still would have had the chance to rest. Personally, I would take a tired Duncan and Parker over anybody on their team almost 100% of the time and you are lying if you say you wouldn't.

    Also, since the odds are only a prediction, you cannot treat them as if they actually happened.
    You are most definitely incorrect. Of course my argument is wrong, it wasn't supposed to be right. What it does do is shine a light on Stern's argument reaction and show how incorrect he is. I'm not sure why Stern is angry, but most people seem to feel it's because the Spurs didn't field a competitive product, hence disrespecting fans and sponsors. Your point about odds, and backups playing, just proves my point that Stern has no point.
    Danger Zone

  10. #235
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,509

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You are most definitely incorrect. Of course my argument is wrong, it wasn't supposed to be right. What it does do is shine a light on Stern's argument reaction and show how incorrect he is. I'm not sure why Stern is angry, but most people seem to feel it's because the Spurs didn't field a competitive product, hence disrespecting fans and sponsors. Your point about odds, and backups playing, just proves my point that Stern has no point.
    How am I incorrect? And why would you post something that was purposefully incorrect? They can't both be wrong because my post was a direct rebuttal to the argument you posed in yours. My point about odds proves nothing about Stern. If it does and I'm missing something huge, please inform me how it relates.

    A competitive product is not really the issue IMO. For one isolated game, any team in the NBA can beat any other team in the NBA. It is why even the worst teams in the NBA usually rack in about 10-20 wins a season. They have a great coach, and it's not really surprising they overachieved for most of one night.

    The rationale behind the fine seems to be that they didn't play what is recognizeable as the Spurs. Yes, the Spurs have other players that play, and if those 4 don't play they are still technically the Spurs. But the four who were sent home combine to use up 49% of the Spurs minutes in games they are a part of. You had fans in Miami expecting to see those players, fans considering tuning into TNT expecting to see those players, fans who perhaps couldn't watch the game expecting to see the result of a game featuring two powerhouses, and millions of dollars being spent by sponsors and advertisers expecting those Spurs to be present.

    Basically the Spurs gave a big middle finger to everybody involved. And yes, I do believe it is different resting your players as opposed to resting your players by sending them home on a flight the night before. They purposefully elected to not have their best team available when there was no valid reason they shouldn't be. They conceded the result of the game was meaningless. Sure they would still liked to have won, but they expected to lose because they sent home their best players.

  11. #236
    Undefeated
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Carmel
    Age
    37
    Posts
    947

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How am I incorrect? And why would you post something that was purposefully incorrect? They can't both be wrong because my post was a direct rebuttal to the argument you posed in yours. My point about odds proves nothing about Stern. If it does and I'm missing something huge, please inform me how it relates.

    A competitive product is not really the issue IMO. For one isolated game, any team in the NBA can beat any other team in the NBA. It is why even the worst teams in the NBA usually rack in about 10-20 wins a season. They have a great coach, and it's not really surprising they overachieved for most of one night.

    The rationale behind the fine seems to be that they didn't play what is recognizeable as the Spurs. Yes, the Spurs have other players that play, and if those 4 don't play they are still technically the Spurs. But the four who were sent home combine to use up 49% of the Spurs minutes in games they are a part of. You had fans in Miami expecting to see those players, fans considering tuning into TNT expecting to see those players, fans who perhaps couldn't watch the game expecting to see the result of a game featuring two powerhouses, and millions of dollars being spent by sponsors and advertisers expecting those Spurs to be present.

    Basically the Spurs gave a big middle finger to everybody involved. And yes, I do believe it is different resting your players as opposed to resting your players by sending them home on a flight the night before. They purposefully elected to not have their best team available when there was no valid reason they shouldn't be. They conceded the result of the game was meaningless. Sure they would still liked to have won, but they expected to lose because they sent home their best players.
    Let's start with your first statement. You were incorrect because you were rebutting something that was never a statement. It was the assertion that an argument could be made, and my assertion that there could be an assertion was correct. By playing fresher players it is possible that the Spurs increased their chances of winning, and there are statistics out there to back that up. I never said it was correct.

    As for your argument, I'm a little confused. In the second paragraph you say a competitive product is not the issue (which is good, because it was a competitive product), but then in the last paragraph you state the Spurs conceded the result of the game was meaningless, which is a problem. So competition doesn't matter as long as you admit the outcome is important? Is that why teams can tank at the end of the year (a massive middle finger to fans). Because when teams tank at the end of the year, they are admitting the outcome is important, but competition isn't. If competition is the point, the Spurs came out and should have won that game, therefore they were competitive. But based on your third paragraph, I think you are saying the problem isn't competition, it isn't importance or result, but lack of star players. If that is the only real issue, then why don't we have some "games" where star players come out on the court and just wave at people.

    Furthermore, please show me the viewing figures of the game vs other TNT games, and also provide the Thursday night football games each Thursday night basketball game was up against, and then we can begin to decide whether resting players had an effect on TNT. Currently, I am of the opinion that the resting of players actually increased viewing figures. As the public is king, this would indicate that resting star players actually increased interest in the game.

    Furthermore, of course it is different to rest players at home vs resting them on the road. At home they don't have to travel all day, they can eat with their families, sleep in their beds, and actually rest. On the road they are travelling for hours and not really resting up. It is logical that if you are going to rest players from a road game, and it is the last road game, you are not going to make them show up. That would defeat the purpose.

    As for a middle finger to Stern, I couldn't care less. Stern's job is to run the league, not hold personal grudges against people, players and teams because they don't do what he wants. Technically, the Spurs broke no NBA laws, regulation, rules or by-laws. Stern has no justification for his anger or his punishment from any logical basis, except the obvious: He is insecure.

    My point is this, Stern has embarrassed and turned off more potential fans with his irrational rants, inconsistent punishments, and obvious personal vendettas than the Spurs and Popovich will ever do by playing the game they way the think it should be played. Furthermore, I will assert, and happily argue, that Popovich has done much better at his job over the last 13 years than Stern has at his.
    Last edited by Rogco; 12-01-2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: spelling
    Danger Zone

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:


  13. #237
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,509

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Let's start with your first statement. You were incorrect because you were rebutting something that was never a statement. It was the assertion that an argument could be made, and my assertion that there could be an assertion was correct. By playing fresher players it is possible that the Spurs increased their chances of winning, and there are statistics out there to back that up. I never said it was correct.
    Are you really trying to convince me that I'm wrong because I was arguing against an assertion that an assertion could potentially be made? Besides making it look like you were just trolling to begin with, I was arguing against the logic used. The fact that you don't personally hold the belief is irrelevant.

    Excellent point. Also, couldn't an argument be made that playing fresh players gave the Spurs a better chance of winning? Not only did they cover the final spread, but they covered the initial spread as well, indicating that the idea to rest the older players and play fresh players actually improved the Spurs chances of winning.
    The above quote is what you wrote originally. And what I have bolded is what I really was arguing against. I wasn't arguing against you personally, I was arguing against the statement that you proposed. Again, whether or not you believed it or were just trolling is irrelevant because what you said could actually be a valid point to think about, even if it is probably incorrect.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As for your argument, I'm a little confused. In the second paragraph you say a competitive product is not the issue (which is good, because it was a competitive product), but then in the last paragraph you state the Spurs conceded the result of the game was meaningless, which is a problem. So competition doesn't matter as long as you admit the outcome is important? Is that why teams can tank at the end of the year (a massive middle finger to fans). Because when teams tank at the end of the year, they are admitting the outcome is important, but competition isn't. If competition is the point, the Spurs came out and should have won that game, therefore they were competitive. But based on your third paragraph, I think you are saying the problem isn't competition, it isn't importance or result, but lack of star players. If that is the only real issue, then why don't we have some "games" where star players come out on the court and just wave at people.
    I may have made it unclear. What I meant to say is that even if it was a competitive product, it was not the intended product. This is a league that is driven by spectators, so when people either pay or make time to see the Spurs they should see the Spurs. And if the Spurs want them to sit out they should at least be there available to play if the need arises or AT LEAST there in street clothes supporting their team. The integrity of the contest was compromised because one team's management elected to greatly reduce their chances of winning.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Furthermore, please show me the viewing figures of the game vs other TNT games, and also provide the Thursday night football games each Thursday night basketball game was up against, and then we can begin to decide whether resting players had an effect on TNT. Currently, I am of the opinion that the resting of players actually increased viewing figures. As the public is king, this would indicate that resting star players actually increased interest in the game.
    Even if I cared about the actual viewing figures, it would be impossible to tell. Because the fact is that most people seem to disapprove of David Stern and he came out with a very strong, well publicized statement right before the game against the Spurs. It is a massive compounding variable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Furthermore, of course it is different to rest players at home vs resting them on the road. At home they don't have to travel all day, they can eat with their families, sleep in their beds, and actually rest. On the road they are travelling for hours and not really resting up. It is logical that if you are going to rest players from a road game, and it is the last road game, you are not going to make them show up. That would defeat the purpose.
    You know Orlando is only about 3 hours from Miami, with about 22 hours between. Which gives plenty of time for a good night's sleep, let's round up and say 5 hours travel total where all they have to do is sit, and a restful day. Even if they sleep 9 hours, they still have enough time for 8 hours of rest before coming and sitting in a padded chair courtside for 3 hours. Yeah, I think I could manage that day without stress.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogco View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As for a middle finger to Stern, I couldn't care less. Stern's job is to run the league, not hold personal grudges against people, players and teams because they don't do what he wants. Technically, the Spurs broke no NBA laws, regulation, rules or by-laws. Stern has no justification for his anger or his punishment from any logical basis, except the obvious: He is insecure.

    My point is this, Stern has embarrassed and turned off more potential fans with his irrational rants, inconsistent punishments, and obvious personal vendettas than the Spurs and Popovich will ever do by playing the game they way the think it should be played. Furthermore, I will assert, and happily argue, that Popovich has done much better at his job over the last 13 years than Stern has at his.
    And there we have it. You don't like this fine because you don't like David Stern, not because of any lack of justification. Also, it did break an NBA regulation. You should read up on things like that before you use the opposite as argument support.

  14. #238

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And there we have it. You don't like this fine because you don't like David Stern, not because of any lack of justification. Also, it did break an NBA regulation. You should read up on things like that before you use the opposite as argument support.
    They broke the well defined "contrary to the best interest of the league" clause. Thats best defined as - they pissed off David Stern. Pop had done this before and the league was ok with it - even issued a statement saying such. So lets not pretend that the Spurs broke a long standing, well defined league rule.

    Can you definitely state where the line is?

  15. #239
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,509

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They broke the well defined "contrary to the best interest of the league" clause. Thats best defined as - they pissed off David Stern. Pop had done this before and the league was ok with it - even issued a statement saying such. So lets not pretend that the Spurs broke a long standing, well defined league rule.

    Can you definitely state where the line is?
    No, I can't. But I don't have to. Like all suspensions, fines, and other disciplinary actions the league determined the punishment individually. So let's not pretend that the NBA deviated from their usual method of punishment. The statement:

    The Spursí actions were in violation of a league policy, reviewed with the NBA Board of Governors in April 2010, against resting players in a manner contrary to the best interests of the NBA.
    He was well within his rights to fine them. Considering the "best interest of the NBA" will almost always be a financial one when you're thinking from the viewpoint of the league it makes sense.

    Have you considered the possibile future ramifications if the league didn't come out with any kind of statement for a nationally televised game? I know if I was looking to buy tickets to a Spurs game in this situation in the future, then I would look at the schedule and see if it was toward the end of a rough stretch for them. If it was, I would consider not buying a ticket to that game because though the Spurs are my 2nd favorite team, I don't know all of their players very well. I like them because I love the style of basketball they play, but I don't want to see that style sans Parker and Duncan. The point of the probably excessive fine is that they want future ticket buyers to think that they won't consider doing it.

  16. #240

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No, I can't. But I don't have to. Like all suspensions, fines, and other disciplinary actions the league determined the punishment individually. So let's not pretend that the NBA deviated from their usual method of punishment.
    I don't believe there is anything unusual about the fine. It's Stern doing what Stern typically does - pimp the league out to the sponsors to the point the line between sport and entertainment becomes blurred. Remember him changing the freakin ball? I suppose you believe that was a good move as well because Stern decided to do it, he is all powerful, therefore it most have been right.



    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He was well within his rights to fine them. Considering the "best interest of the NBA" will almost always be a financial one when you're thinking from the viewpoint of the league it makes sense.

    Have you considered the possibile future ramifications if the league didn't come out with any kind of statement for a nationally televised game? I know if I was looking to buy tickets to a Spurs game in this situation in the future, then I would look at the schedule and see if it was toward the end of a rough stretch for them. If it was, I would consider not buying a ticket to that game because though the Spurs are my 2nd favorite team, I don't know all of their players very well. I like them because I love the style of basketball they play, but I don't want to see that style sans Parker and Duncan. The point of the probably excessive fine is that they want future ticket buyers to think that they won't consider doing it.
    First - Pop has done this before and other than some very minor grumbling, its not been a huge deal. the only reason we are still talking about this is Sterns reaction. Otherwise it would have went away pretty damn quickly - just as it had before. Second - if you want to penalize the Spurs for doing this, then just dont put them on TV in these scenarios. They have historically been a poor TV draw anyway. Most importantly - how about the league try to address the issue like the NFL is attempting to do - by adjusting the schedule? How about you work to eliminate 4 games in 5 night scenarios. Not only do you eliminate this supposed huge issue, but you lessen injury risk, and you improve play. Believe it or not, players play better when they are healthy and rested. But it's more important for Stern to be in control than it is to fix the root of the damn issue.

  17. #241
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,509

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't believe there is anything unusual about the fine. It's Stern doing what Stern typically does - pimp the league out to the sponsors to the point the line between sport and entertainment becomes blurred. Remember him changing the freakin ball? I suppose you believe that was a good move as well because Stern decided to do it, he is all powerful, therefore it most have been right.





    First - Pop has done this before and other than some very minor grumbling, its not been a huge deal. the only reason we are still talking about this is Sterns reaction. Otherwise it would have went away pretty damn quickly - just as it had before. Second - if you want to penalize the Spurs for doing this, then just dont put them on TV in these scenarios. They have historically been a poor TV draw anyway. Most importantly - how about the league try to address the issue like the NFL is attempting to do - by adjusting the schedule? How about you work to eliminate 4 games in 5 night scenarios. Not only do you eliminate this supposed huge issue, but you lessen injury risk, and you improve play. Believe it or not, players play better when they are healthy and rested. But it's more important for Stern to be in control than it is to fix the root of the damn issue.
    You realize Stern's job is basically to make sure the league makes money right? So of course anything he does will be to that extent. As will any commisioner who comes after him. Agree or disagree with him, but he had the right to fine them based on what they did. If what Popovich does is so widely accepted, how come none of the other teams rest their players in the same manner?

    And I have to disagree with the NFL helping injuries through scheduling. They also this season added in extra Thursday night games which actually decrease time between games. So instead of 6 or 7 days teams are having to play on 3 or 4 days of rest. The NFL players hate Thursday night games. And the league management has been pushing for an extended regular season for several years now. No, the NFL is not a good model for player health.

  18. #242

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize Stern's job is basically to make sure the league makes money right? So of course anything he does will be to that extent. As will any commisioner who comes after him. Agree or disagree with him, but he had the right to fine them based on what they did. If what Popovich does is so widely accepted, how come none of the other teams rest their players in the same manner?

    And I have to disagree with the NFL helping injuries through scheduling. They also this season added in extra Thursday night games which actually decrease time between games. So instead of 6 or 7 days teams are having to play on 3 or 4 days of rest. The NFL players hate Thursday night games. And the league management has been pushing for an extended regular season for several years now. No, the NFL is not a good model for player health.
    So you agree with Sterns attempt to change the ball? It was certainly about money. Is there ever a point in your mind when trying to squeeze out a few more dollars is less important than the integrity of the game? How about favoring big market, star driven teams to generate better finals ratings? Or extending series to get the critical 7th games? I suppose either of those would be fine. I mean its about maximizing dollars - period. Screw integrity! The league commissioner is telling a coach who to play when. And he's telling us that Miami is more important than Portland.The Spurs didn't get fined last year when they sat the big three against Portland.

    Many coaches rest players. Do they do it in the same manner as Pop? No. But the last time I looked, Pop is one of (if not THE) best coaches in the league. And he has a three aging stars that all also play a lot internationally. Why do you think he does it if he doesn't believe it helps his team? Do you believe he is trying to sabotage the league? The fact it occurs so rarely is another reason Stern should have kept his mouth shut and simply not scheduled the Spurs to play one of his "important games" (meaning Miami, LA, etc) as the 4th game in 5 nights on TV.

    I never compared the leagues for injuries. I compared their handling of the resting players issue. The NFL publicly stated they didn't like teams resting players towards the end of the season. Especially teams like the Colts that were doing it 3 weeks before the end of the season. But instead of fining the teams and taking personnel decisions out of the coaches hands, they simply have moved more division games into the last few weeks of the season to attempt to keep teams from clinching spots too early. It may or may not work, but the point is that the NFL is handling it in a way that doesn't involve dictating strategy and playing time decisions to teams.

    And you keep saying Stern is within his rights. So? Just because Stern is all powerful when it comes to matters NBA doesn't mean he should have handled it the way he did. the league has had two very recent lockouts, a ref gambling scandal, a team that had to be owned and operated by the league, 1/2 the teams have been claiming they are losing money, players are constantly holding teams hostage to dictate their terms even while under contract, and stars are affecting competitive balance by colluding to unite in destination cities - excuse me if I don't believe that something is right just because der furher says so.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:


  20. #243
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,188

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    If I'm Peter Holt, not only would I refuse to pay the fine, I'm beginning to push for Stern to removed before his planned retirement date.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  21. #244

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    I don't know that Stern reacted to this properly.

    But I have to say, I was a little put off by Popovich. He whines for months about the schedule, no one listens, and then he just 'happens' to pick a game where he very well knows that Stern will go nuts. Pop should limit his political activism to hack-a-shaq.

  22. #245
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,371

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    I read somewhere that one of the reasons why Pop rested the Geriatric 3 on Thursday against one of marquee Teams in the East ( a non-consequential game to a Western Conference Team ) was so that they would be fresh to play a far more important game today ( Saturday )....a game against their Division rival and the best Team in the West...the Grizzlies.

    Pop didn't play them to simply rest them....but...when you think of it....he did so for the long-term good of the Team.

    And guess what? The Spurs beat the Grizzlies in OT at home.

    Winning a game against a division rival that could very well be a Team that you will be fighting for Playoff positioning is way more important to the Spurs/Pop than pleasing corporate sponsors.

    It's not important to Stern...but I totally understand Pops reasoning.
    Last edited by CableKC; 12-02-2012 at 04:56 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  24. #246

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by hackashaq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know that Stern reacted to this properly.

    But I have to say, I was a little put off by Popovich. He whines for months about the schedule, no one listens, and then he just 'happens' to pick a game where he very well knows that Stern will go nuts. Pop should limit his political activism to hack-a-shaq.
    He picked a game where his team was playing its 4th game in 5 nights against a non conference opponent. Add in that the other team was elite and very well rested (likely loss regardless who played) and the next game would be against an elite team in his own conference (game means more to the spurs for playoff seeding) and it makes perfect sense for this to be the game he chose.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to rm1369 For This Useful Post:


  26. #247
    Member aamcguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    West Lafayette
    Age
    23
    Posts
    2,509

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So you agree with Sterns attempt to change the ball? It was certainly about money. Is there ever a point in your mind when trying to squeeze out a few more dollars is less important than the integrity of the game? How about favoring big market, star driven teams to generate better finals ratings? Or extending series to get the critical 7th games? I suppose either of those would be fine. I mean its about maximizing dollars - period. Screw integrity! The league commissioner is telling a coach who to play when. And he's telling us that Miami is more important than Portland.The Spurs didn't get fined last year when they sat the big three against Portland.

    Many coaches rest players. Do they do it in the same manner as Pop? No. But the last time I looked, Pop is one of (if not THE) best coaches in the league. And he has a three aging stars that all also play a lot internationally. Why do you think he does it if he doesn't believe it helps his team? Do you believe he is trying to sabotage the league? The fact it occurs so rarely is another reason Stern should have kept his mouth shut and simply not scheduled the Spurs to play one of his "important games" (meaning Miami, LA, etc) as the 4th game in 5 nights on TV.

    I never compared the leagues for injuries. I compared their handling of the resting players issue. The NFL publicly stated they didn't like teams resting players towards the end of the season. Especially teams like the Colts that were doing it 3 weeks before the end of the season. But instead of fining the teams and taking personnel decisions out of the coaches hands, they simply have moved more division games into the last few weeks of the season to attempt to keep teams from clinching spots too early. It may or may not work, but the point is that the NFL is handling it in a way that doesn't involve dictating strategy and playing time decisions to teams.

    And you keep saying Stern is within his rights. So? Just because Stern is all powerful when it comes to matters NBA doesn't mean he should have handled it the way he did. the league has had two very recent lockouts, a ref gambling scandal, a team that had to be owned and operated by the league, 1/2 the teams have been claiming they are losing money, players are constantly holding teams hostage to dictate their terms even while under contract, and stars are affecting competitive balance by colluding to unite in destination cities - excuse me if I don't believe that something is right just because der furher says so.

    The beauty about the Spurs' situation is that it was both an issue of integrity and one with monetary value. And please stop putting words in my mouth to formulate your arguments; I did not say that the NBA should base all of its decisions on whether or not it makes money. And I very much doubt changing the ball had to do with money.

    Just because Popovich likes to rest his players differently than other coaches doesn't mean he's right. He already knew it chafed the league; last season they made a statement that they would be allowing him to send home players that way because it was a unique season. You want to talk about integrity of the game? How about playing in a front of a sold-out crowd when the four healthy players who play the most minutes aren't even in the building. Take into account that Kawhi Leonard was injured too, and their entire starting 5 was not playing.

    Yes, that sounds like a contest to me. For all your talk of integrity of the game, you would think it would upset you when a team decides a game isn't worth winning. I understand it's more fun to scapegoat Stern for his anger, the scheduling, the conspiracy theory that he hates Spurs, and everything else. But this is the NBA, where there are 82 games in a season. And they just took 1 of their premier matchups off so they could rest.

    Some people have talked about slippery slopes of the league fining teams for lots of things, but there is one year. And it's just as plausible for the other. Would you really like to watch the NBA as much if every team rested their best players every time they had a harsh run of games? That would happen at least 2-3 times a year for clubs. So you're looking at 60-90 games that could be affected, and that doesn't even consider the games where injured players are out. Yeah, it would probably never happen like that. But it's just as likely as the league fining teams constantly for minor infractions.

  27. #248

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by rm1369 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He picked a game where his team was playing its 4th game in 5 nights against a non conference opponent. Add in that the other team was elite and very well rested (likely loss regardless who played) and the next game would be against an elite team in his own conference (game means more to the spurs for playoff seeding) and it makes perfect sense for this to be the game he chose.
    yeah, well, i don't even know what sucks more - Popovich trying to stick it to Stern and NBA scheduling people the way he did, or teams openly sitting their stars based on the line of thinking "oh well, we'll probably lose anyway, so lets just rest".

    There's been a bit of power struggle going on for a while on this issue and Stern has discussed it with owners. There's no way Pop wasn't aware of this or forgot this, and no way he didn't anticipate that he will put Stern into berserker mode. He probably didn't anticipate the fine, that's all.

  28. #249

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by aamcguy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Would you really like to watch the NBA as much if every team rested their best players every time they had a harsh run of games?
    I think all the contenders should rest in games vs. other contenders. Keep the fun for the playoffs!
    The NBA will lose some billions in their next TV deal, and we will have another lockout, but who cares.

  29. #250

    Default Re: Spurs to be punished for resting players

    Quote Originally Posted by hackashaq View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think all the contenders should rest in games vs. other contenders. Keep the fun for the playoffs!
    The NBA will lose some billions in their next TV deal, and we will have another lockout, but who cares.
    Nah, it's better for the commissioner to manage playing times for teams.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-09-2012, 05:40 PM
  2. Spurs begin resting starters in win against Jazz [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-09-2011, 11:20 PM
  3. Commissioner David Stern: NBA will discuss issue of resting players [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-14-2010, 05:00 PM
  4. Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 05:12 PM
  5. Why the fans won't be punished by the NBA
    By Natston in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 04:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •